Demographics: Processed cheese

Regarding the foodstuff colloquially known as "American Cheese"

• It's my favorite cheese.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like it as much as I like any other cheese.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I don't dislike it, but I prefer other cheeses.

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • It's good in certain cases or recipes, but I otherwise avoid it.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I don't like it, and there are very few recipes or foods that I'll eat which include it.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters
I get creeped out by the clear jelly that is around a block of Spam when you take it out of the can. *shudder* It's like KY for your intestines or something.

figmentPez

Staff member
Any cheese that doesn't need to be refrigerated creeps me out.
Does that include parmesan and other hard, dry cheeses? Because if those aren't grated, they can last quite a while at room temperature. Even longer if their rinds are still intact. What about cheeses still in their wax? If you take a wax coated wheel of cheddar and leave it at room temperature, it'll most likely be just fine for weeks, if not months. Even semi-soft cheeses like Babybel will last for a fair amount of time at room temperature if they're still sealed in wax, though their flavor and texture will change.

I'm not aware of any processed cheese that doesn't have to be refrigerated once they're opened. Even in a refrigerator American cheese will eventually go moldy.

Does that include parmesan and other hard, dry cheeses? Because if those aren't grated, they can last quite a while at room temperature. Even longer if their rinds are still intact. What about cheeses still in their wax? If you take a wax coated wheel of cheddar and leave it at room temperature, it'll most likely be just fine for weeks, if not months. Even semi-soft cheeses like Babybel will last for a fair amount of time at room temperature if they're still sealed in wax, though their flavor and texture will change.

I'm not aware of any processed cheese that doesn't have to be refrigerated once they're opened. Even in a refrigerator American cheese will eventually go moldy.
I have to wonder if @BananaHands is talking about how you can buy a block of Velveeta off the shelf in the grocery store. Most of the time when you buy real cheese in the store it is in an open refrigerated case.

figmentPez

Staff member
I have to wonder if @BananaHands is talking about how you can buy a block of Velveeta off the shelf in the grocery store. Most of the time when you buy real cheese in the store it is in an open refrigerated case.
I figured that's what he was talking about too, which is why I listed parmesan first. Many stores have refrigerated cheeses, but also have unrefrigerated displays as well, most notably hard, dry cheeses. Some stores even use giant wheels of parmesan as part of the display, storing them unrefrigerated until it's time to cut them into consumer sized portions.

BananaHands

Staff member

I was referring to Velveeta. I didn't really think about parmesan though. Hmm.

figmentPez

Staff member
Heh. That's more fancy than where I usually shop, @figmentPez. They have precut wedges of hard cheese and all of it is refrigerated.
Well, I live in an affluent suburb and some of the stores have really extensive cheese sections. I've seen such displays with whole wheels of parmesan (like, 100 pounds or so, as big around as a car tire, and as tall as two stacked) at Whole Foods, HEB and I think Kroger as well.

figmentPez

Staff member
I was referring to Velveeta. I didn't really think about parmesan though. Hmm.
Fair enough. Maybe we can both agree that "yogurt" that does not require refrigeration is stupid:

I mean, first off, why would you want to lose the heath benefits of yogurt cultures by pasteurizing it? Second, this stuff tastes nasty. It's not yogurt, it's sugary fruit paste with yogurt flavoring. This is a pointless, waste of a product.

Story Time:
When I was in third year of college, someone opened up a Kraft single and put inside the ceiling of the third year studio. Just climbed up, moved the cheap drywall panel to the side and threw it up there.
When I was in forth year, I got my friend who was in third year to go and and check on it. No mold. No signs of decay of any kind.
After I graduated, my friend who was at that time in forth year, went into the third year studio and checked on it again. No mold. Still no signs of decay
He's still there now (medical issues kept him from graduating), I should get him to check again.

I must live in a cheese hating part of the US. Non American cheese can only be bought in tiny little blocks. It's hard to find good sizes

That reminds me, I misplaced my old cheese cutter. I need to get a new one. This one looks good, hopefully it's wide enough.
Amazon product

I was talking about cheese that's frozen before it even BECOMES cheese.

Poor cows here in Wisconsin...

Speaking of hated cheeses... My S.O. accidentally bought, months ago, a bag of shredded "cheese" (processed dairy product) that couldn't melt. It seriously would burn before changing in consistency. It was creepy, and it tasted awful in any case.

I'm kind of a weenie when it comes to cheese. I generally like soft, mild Italian cheeses like plain mozza, bocconcini (which is just another kind of mozza) and ricotta.

Speaking of hated cheeses... My S.O. accidentally bought, months ago, a bag of shredded "cheese" (processed dairy product) that couldn't melt. It seriously would burn before changing in consistency. It was creepy, and it tasted awful in any case.
I've had that in sliced form. Caught fire in the oven and never melted, shined like plastic, nasty shit.

I'm kind of a weenie when it comes to cheese. I generally like soft, mild Italian cheeses like plain mozza, bocconcini (which is just another kind of mozza) and ricotta.
Fontina, Gouda, Muenster, Mascarpone, Boursin, any of those on your list?

--Patrick

So I eat American cheese a lot, but it's the kind that gets sliced from a block at the deli, not Kraft singles. I grew up with Kraft singles, but now they are disgusting to me.

"Cheese does not go bad, it just gets more expensive" would say my father whilst scraping colorful stuff from a piece of old cheese and eating it.
I live by those words ♥

"Cheese does not go bad, it just gets more expensive" would say my father whilst scraping colorful stuff from a piece of old cheese and eating it.
I live by those words ♥
Mmm. Now you've made me want a good brie, with its firm, mushroom-flavored exterior and creamy, zesty insides.

--Patrick