Demographics: Processed cheese

Regarding the foodstuff colloquially known as "American Cheese"

• It's my favorite cheese.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like it as much as I like any other cheese.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I don't dislike it, but I prefer other cheeses.

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • It's good in certain cases or recipes, but I otherwise avoid it.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I don't like it, and there are very few recipes or foods that I'll eat which include it.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters
It does.
But if you want something that is MIND-BLOWINGLY good, try using regular cheddar. Seriously, Grilled Cheese, Quesadillas and nachos are tasty in SPITE of processed cheese, not because of it. :p
So, decided to make a grilled cheese sandwich tonight, and remembering this thread, I used the cheddar I had instead of american.

Mind not blown. A good alternative, but not exactly "A Song of Ice and Fire" compared to "Little Bear's Big Birthday Surprise".

I like it just fine.

If I am making a sandwich with bologna or prepackaged ham or turkey or whatever lunch meats I usually just get american cheese to save money.

But when I have money I go to the deli counter and get fresh(er) turkey and some colby jack or a mild cheddar.

Which honestly... American cheese doesn't taste all that different from colby or mild cheddar to me. I honestly think people just bitch about it to be snobby.

But yeah there is no beating Velvetta for cheese dip ever, like I honestly could make it with other cheeses but it would be a whole hell of a lot more expensive and time consuming... Like when we made home made gourmet macaroni and cheese that had $35-40 worth of cheese in it... and took like 2-2.5 hours to prepare... Just not worth the time, effort, or money to not use Velvetta.

The biggest difference for me is the texture and slightly greasy feeling. I can eat it, but I don't prefer it.
Yeah and I suppose if I just ate it by itself yeah it tastes and feel a whole lot different.

But on a deli sandwich that has a meat and maybe oregano and olive oil or mayo, and some lettuce I can't really tell them apart much.