Democratic Primary: Crisis of infinite candidates

I ain't a fan of Biden, but I think if he does pick Warren as his VP, then his chances of actually winning will substantially increase, should he get the nomination. There is not going to be any way to recover the Bernie Bros, but she might be enough to sign on more loose progressives. Assuming he gets the nomination.

I ain't a fan of Biden, but I think if he does pick Warren as his VP, then his chances of actually winning will substantially increase, should he get the nomination. There is not going to be any way to recover the Bernie Bros, but she might be enough to sign on more loose progressives. Assuming he gets the nomination.
What works about that pairing is that Warren and Biden bring in different people. Warren reaches younger and college educated and more progressive types while Biden brings in older, working class, and rust-belt types. I think it is a good pairing, but it sounds like the Warren and Bernie camps are the ones in talks. I think a Bernie/Warren ticket is only a good pairing ideologically but not good on the campaign map.

Honestly if he does that, I take back everything I said about him possibly being a plant to fuck up the primary. I was wrong. It remains to be seen though.

The more I look at it, the more I am okay with a Biden nomination as long as he picks Warren for VP. Then he can step down in a year from his mental degradation and we can finally have our first female president and a more progressive figure in the white house. On a technicality, yeah, but it honestly feels like it's going to be the only way it will happen in this country.

The more I look at it, the more I am okay with a Biden nomination as long as he picks Warren for VP. Then he can step down in a year from his mental degradation and we can finally have our first female president and a more progressive figure in the white house. On a technicality, yeah, but it honestly feels like it's going to be the only way it will happen in this country.
A Biden/Warren ticket with enough "push" from the left to move the political center a bit to the left - without suddenly starting the Revolution - would be more healthy than a Biden ticket with a moderate that decides to go and try to court the right-center "disappointed Republicans who aren't Trumpists" demographic - which i sadly fear they'll try to do, but won't work because tribalism.

Dave

Staff member
I think it’s cute that we’re all hoping Biden and the DNC are going to do the Right Thing. What in their history gives you that kind of confidence?

Ah, yes, the Veep method...

I seriously doubt Warren will get VP. The most strategic play is to give it to Klobuchar, who essentially gifted the Midwest to Biden, and will continue to bolster his popularity there.

Or he could commit political suicide and bring HeR baCk as his VP.

(If you don't know who I'm talking about, you're not thinking properly.)

Last edited:
Took a bit to find the actual original tweet:

--Patrick
But when I say I'd prefer a candidate not in their seventies I'm wrong. At this point you've got two people with signs of dementia and one who's had a heart attack.
I mean, can you guys please implement a maximum age already?

I get it now! You want to make Hunter Biden a campaign issue? Get ready to make all the Trumpspawn try to justify their mere existence.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Not going to happen. Anyone but Trump 2020.
The strategy will very clearly be:
a) He's too right-wing and against change, so going to vote is useless (for the Bernie Bros)
b) He's just as old, dementing, corrupt and in the pockets of big companies as Trump, there's really no difference (for the moderates)
Those two together may well convince enough voters to stay home to give trumplings enough power in the swing states to bring it home.

Sadly, part of both is true. Part of it isn't - I'm absolutely convinced Biden isn't as corrupt as Trump, and that even if he was, there'd still be a serious difference in government style.

Voted. So I guess I did my part.

I will note that I moved a bit ago and forgot, so I have a new polling station, and it's out in the sticks now. I always love that the most important part of our democratic process may very well happen in a deep-woods town hall garage.

Voted.
Got up early (getting to be a trend!) so I could make sure I was first in line at 8.
Discovered the polls actually opened at 7.
Oh well. Got done quickly, though.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
This is hard for me to say, but at this point I think Bernie should suspend his campaign. It's almost a foregone conclusion Biden is going to get the nomination (for some fucking reason) and it would be a good thing to at least attempt to bring the party together. But right now I see four more years of the orange one. Biden is going to lose and lose huge.

Don't get me wrong - I'm voting for him. Well, voting AGAINST Trump. Which is not the kind of thing we need to galvanize the left.

And I'll say it again - fucking young people.