[Informational] Dave's Quest for History

Dave

Staff member
Welp, my cousin seems to have cut off contact. He's no longer returning my emails and the call he was supposed to make yesterday never happened. I have other avenues, but all of them are more nuclear option than going through him. I really don't want to rock the boat, but as of right now I don't know what my options are.

Welp, my cousin seems to have cut off contact. He's no longer returning my emails and the call he was supposed to make yesterday never happened. I have other avenues, but all of them are more nuclear option than going through him. I really don't want to rock the boat, but as of right now I don't know what my options are.
My immediate thought is that he spoke to someone who confirmed the affair theory, and he was ordered to end this whole thing before old wounds / dirty laundry reemerge.

Alternatively, something happened and they are temporarily unable to dedicate time to your quest. Give 'em a few days before assuming the worst re radio silence.

Dave

Staff member
He was on the Ancestry DNA page today. I'm more willing to go with @bhamv3's theory.

But I have a few items in my arsenal. Anyone up for a name hunt? Send me a PM and I'll fill you in.[DOUBLEPOST=1479263448,1479263425][/DOUBLEPOST]I won't post any of this publicly yet. Out of deference to the family.

He was on the Ancestry DNA page today. I'm more willing to go with @bhamv3's theory.

But I have a few items in my arsenal. Anyone up for a name hunt? Send me a PM and I'll fill you in.[DOUBLEPOST=1479263448,1479263425][/DOUBLEPOST]I won't post any of this publicly yet. Out of deference to the family.
I was going to do a discreet Ancestry search myself, but as you apparently have access to ancestry.com yourself, I won't duplicate efforts.

And a hug goes out over the "likely cut contact because of old wounds" thing. Not every search for birth parents has a happy ending. :(

Dave

Staff member
You can check anything you like. :)[DOUBLEPOST=1479264468,1479263980][/DOUBLEPOST]I now have all the names of my brothers & sisters. If I want to go nuclear, game on. I so want to but I'm holding off. I AM going to go Facebook stalking, though.

But I have a few items in my arsenal. Anyone up for a name hunt? Send me a PM and I'll fill you in.
I admit I'm tempted, but I know I'm not going to have the luxury of time right now, and probably won't have more than an hour or two to myself daily until January.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I've now seen pictures of all of my living siblings, my father, and his deceased wife.

I look like none of them. At all.

Well, I understand your desire to move things forward quickly, but I suggest patience. While you are hot in he topic right now, it's probably best not to rock boats or burn bridges - give it a few weeks, a few months, and give them time to come to grips with this new information.

They may come around later, particularly if they don't feel like they're dealing with fire. Going nuclear, as you put it, may give you some immediate results, but at the cost of getting some real closure and willing particiapation.

Dave

Staff member
I'm not sure they HAVE any information to come to grips with and I won't unless my cousin gets back to me. I have no idea how far he got, what steps he took to get there, etc. So a few days, maybe a week. But months? Nope.

Dave

Staff member
It's like I was telling a person I work with. Letting me know the family has been contacted and isn't interested is perfectly fine. Whatever. Stonewalling and cutting off all contact without nary a word pisses me off. Like it's so hard to drop an email that says, "We feel that at this time it is not in the best interest of the family to continue inquiries." is a legitimate communication. Stone silence shows a lack of respect. It's the different between actually breaking up with someone and just blocking them and ignoring calls.

Hell, for all I know I'm not being stonewalled. But it certainly is starting to feel that way. But I'm not making a move until next week at the earliest.

Dave

Staff member
I've made a decision. Monday if I've not heard anything I'm going to send my cousin a message. It will be something like:

Dear X,

I haven't heard from you in a while and my emails have gone unanswered. At this point I am wondering if my inquiries are going to be going any farther or how far they've gone. If this is due to a family request I completely understand, but without a communication I have no way of knowing. I enjoyed speaking with you and attempting to unravel this mystery. I do have other avenues of inquiry that I can follow, but will wait a few days before doing this.
I won't pull the trigger on a nuclear option until after Thanksgiving.

I've made a decision. Monday if I've not heard anything I'm going to send my cousin a message. It will be something like:

I won't pull the trigger on a nuclear option until after Thanksgiving.
I'd suggest waiting on the initial message until after Thanksgiving. I know you are really excited about this, but I think this situation would benefit from allowing it some time to breathe.

Dave

Staff member
I have a new idea that is really growing on me. But it starts with a question.

If you got an Ancestry DNA kit in the mail and it was in your name - even if you don't know where it came from - would you do it out of curiosity?

Personally, I'd call Ancestry and make sure that only I have access to the results, not whomever paid for it. Depending on that, I'd use it, because that's something I've been wanting.

My model of the average person would react with something between "the fuck" and "THE FUCK". I would not do this to anyone because receiving unexplained gifts in the mail from anonymous strangers sounds pretty creepy, specially when they're asking for your spit in return.

Dave

Staff member
Only you have access to the results. You have to activate it to your account.

Having said that, it does show close matches so it would eventually show up on my account as what relationship they were. I couldn't SEE the results, but I would be able to see the relationship. Oh, and they'd see me as well. It would be THEM discovering ME instead of me hitting them out of the blue.

Dave

Staff member
Did I fuck up? I don't know.

On a whim, I sent one of my potential brothers a Facebook friend request. To my surprise, he accepted. Then I went to a 2-hour meeting. When I got back someone asked, "Can't he see YOUR timeline?"

Oh shit! I had stuff up there on the situation! It's now hidden and he hasn't said anything or unfriended me, so I don't know if I fucked up or not.

I still don't plan on saying anything to anyone until after Thanksgiving, but I almost did it unintentionally.

Dave

Staff member
I think "accidentally" revealing a bit about yourself might help the situation, actually.

--Patrick
I both agree and disagree. It would be easier on me, but I think it would be cowardly. Either way it's going to be hard on the family, if I'm an unknown. Hell, Richard might not be my dad. The dates and everything line up, but until we get a DNA test done it's difficult to triangulate.

I both agree and disagree. It would be easier on me, but I think it would be cowardly. Either way it's going to be hard on the family, if I'm an unknown. Hell, Richard might not be my dad. The dates and everything line up, but until we get a DNA test done it's difficult to triangulate.
No, no...I mean that if they tried to do a little Facebook stalking on you while your profile was still open, it might have made them more comfortable because they were able to easily "sneak" a peek at your profile rather than being blocked every time they tried to "secretly" dig up any info on you. I have the terms in quotes because they are presumably not doing so out of malice, rather they just want to learn a little about you without you knowing they've been curious.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Well, I fucked up. Sort of. My cousin said he was going to get back with me a week ago to discuss and then nothing. So I assumed radio silence. I sent him a message thanking him for his help. He took it...badly. He said I had sent him a veiled threat and that I didn't believe he was trying to help me - which is not what I thought. I was kind of stuck between trying to find out if I was getting stonewalled, which is very common in these instances, or if I should continue to correspond. Well, I guess that has been answered.

It's the age old "I'm totally reading the tone of the emails incorrect". Possibly on both of our parts. But life moves on, I suppose.

I guess the next step (after Thanksgiving) is having a conversation with one of the brothers. That should be fun.

Dave

Staff member
Okay, boys and girls. Message sent to my (probable) brother. I did not discuss what it was, but merely said that I had a matter of a personal, family topic to discuss. I also let him know that it might be uncomfortable and that if he was not interested I'd back off.

If he does want me to maintain silence, I then move to my (probable) sister.

When I suggested "after Thanksgiving", I was really thinking the Monday after. Remember, you're way more invested in this than they are. If you want a little perspective, think of it as you're a seventh grader dealing trying to get a date with your first crush.

When I suggested "after Thanksgiving", I was really thinking the Monday after. Remember, you're way more invested in this than they are. If you want a little perspective, think of it as you're a seventh grader dealing trying to get a date with your first crush.
Dave has already rejected all our suggestions to be patient and wait without pushing, and believes he is already being patient and that his messages aren't pushy.

So obviously the only thing left is

THERAPY

Dave

Staff member
There's a time element with all of this. If my biological father is that ill he might be the only chance to get the name of my mother. So I can't afford to be as patient as you all want me to be.

Dave

Staff member
I might include that in your letters. The whole, "If true, time is short" thing.

--Patrick
I want to have some rapport before I go that far. As much as I want to know, I'm not going to nuke the family without them giving me permission. Which is why my message didn't spell everything out. Although I seriously thought about that.

I'm really hoping the brother reaches out to me as the next step is a phone call and the only number I have is to the sister's work. So I'd leave a message there, which I *SO* do not want to do.

There's a time element with all of this. If my biological father is that ill he might be the only chance to get the name of my mother. So I can't afford to be as patient as you all want me to be.
Time frame

It's only been three weeks since you got your first email from someone regarding this whole thing. November 5th you heard from them, and it's only November 26th.

Risk analysis

What you're saying is that you're balancing your aggressiveness against the likelihood of a line of inquiry being permanently shut. But if he's on death's door such that a week or two might make the difference, then it's already too late and it's nobody's fault - certainly not your cousin's for taking his time about the whole matter.

What you're essentially betting is that he's sick enough that he's going to die within weeks, but he's well enough that he can help you. And the small chance of this being exactly the case is causing you to close doors and possibly burn bridges just in case he's in that exact situation and no one else has any possible way for you to find anything else out.

The risk of that being the case is low. The cost you're spending to prevent that possible outcome is very high.

What's more important - information or relationships?

I suppose, then, that I am making a bad assumption about your intentions. Your actions say, "I don't really care who I upset in order to get the information I'm looking for - I'm interested in information, not relationships, and if they get upset it's really their own fault for not helping me faster." While I'm sitting here thinking, "It's probably too late to develop any meaningful relationship with dad, so if you want to know him you should probably focus on building relationships with those around him."

Relationships

Reading back through the thread and the email you sent him most recently, it sounds like you're threatening an end run. You're essentially saying, "Hey, I suspect you aren't interested in helping me, and if so well I don't need you and I'll just go through other channels." And you're sending this message, ironically, because you feel like he's not respecting you.

Now it could be years down the line you'll all be at a reunion, everything will be smoothed over, and you'll all laugh about it, or it could be that you'll be no closer to knowing your biological family because in your haste to get to the one person you think might have the answer you've upset them and years later they still refuse contact.

Information

Of course, if you aren't interested in developing relationships with your family, and are really only interested in finding the names and medical histories of your biological parents, then I suppose it doesn't matter and you should go full steam ahead. I have a hard time understanding how this will help you though, because even if you do get some information - say confirmation that he's your father, and a medical history - is that really enough? You'll still be left with many, many questions.

Conclusion

But this is me viewing something very important to you through a small window. What I'm seeing - going from "Hey, I might have just met a cousin!" to "Hey, I might have just offended a cousin!" in three weeks - suggests that your current plan isn't going to provide you with long term success, which may depend largely on whether living relatives will want to communicate with you after your most significant possible connection is gone.

So....

THERAPY[DOUBLEPOST=1480197624,1480197443][/DOUBLEPOST]To be particularly explicit about the threat:

If this is due to a family request I completely understand

Then you say

I do have other avenues of inquiry that I can follow, but will wait a few days before doing this.

So you're essentially saying, "Perhaps people don't want to tell me, but I'll continue pursuing it until I find out."

@stienman the reason I think @Dave is pushing so hard is that the family have told him that his believed father might not last long &

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, they tell me he's not doing well but won't go into it in any detail. Is he on death's door? Does he have mental issues? I don't know. So I'm walking a tightrope between time & alienation. I'm not really in it for the relationships, but if they happen I'm not against it. I may be burning bridges and preventing it, but I don't know if I can wait or not.

THERAPY!