Dating soon after a break-up

You know what I learned? If somebody has been assaulted in the past, it's a terrible idea to surprise them with a hug from behind.

She came over a few weeks ago to bake Christmas cookies. I was leaving the next day to visit home for the holidays. Since my last relationship ended in October, I had not been able to decompress. I had also been trapped in old habits that had worked in the previous relationship. My ex loved spontaneous displays of physical affection (get your mind of the gutter, not THAT kind of affection). This new girl has a weird thing about spontaneous touching, although she doesn't mind being the instigator. I'd been trying to break old habits, but they die hard. I'd get comfortable and, without thinking, would pat the small of her back or something. Anyways, she got mad and I didn't handle it that well. Like I said, I hadn't been able to relax since October and was running on fumes. We calmed down quickly, however, and hashed it out.

She said things had been getting awkward, and she could tell I was still hurting from the last relationship. She also said she loved spending time together and has a lot of affection for me. She wants to keep things casual for now while I put myself together, and she wants to join me for a double-date later with a couple whom I'm friends with. I left for the holidays and we kept in touch. I really did need some time to sort things out, and I bounced back pretty quickly once I found myself surrounded by family and very old friends. She picked me up at the airport and we hung out at my place for New Year's Eve. It was fun, and all that awkwardness had gone because I'm finally myself again. She's at her family's until the end of next week, and we'll do something after that. If we start dating formally again, I think she's the only girl I want to date.

And this just in: one of my female friends in New Orleans is asking me to visit her now. Crap.

Last edited: