Dating soon after a break-up

The girlfriend and I broke up last Thursday. It was a mutual, mostly painless breakup without arguing or recriminations. We both agreed that it felt like things hadn't been working since summer. I'll spare you the gory details, but I'd sometimes taken her for granted and she admitted she had been surly and resentful of my frequent travels. We had put it off because both of us were afraid of hurting the other party's feelings so it was kind of a relief. We even agreed to try being friends after everything calms down. As far as breakups go, it was the least awful. But that's not what this thread is about.

I told some friends about the breakup. No, I didn't blame the ex. I just said we were both at fault and that I was single again. One of my female friends, immediately after hearing about it, asked to go out for dinner with me after she returns from her trip overseas. She'll be back in about a week.

About this friend, she moved here in August and doesn't have any friends here. Her department colleagues are a bit anti-social so she was glad to share her geeky interests with someone. We hit it off right away and she meshed well with my group of friends. She's been over for game night and Hobbit Day elevenses. The first time she was over, she stayed until past midnight. I had guessed she was just happy to finally have somebody to talk to about Firefly. She then started coming over more frequently to hang out with me and my roommate.

The day before my friend left (remember this is after the breakup), I helped her move her group project and confirmed dinner, then I felt sort of bad afterward. Yes, I want to get to know her better. Yes, I like her. In fact, I think she's awesome. But it just feels weird right now because I'm single for the first time in nearly two years. I'm also eagerly looking forward to her return, which makes me feel douchey considering it's been less than a week since the breakup. I think I need a little time to breathe and process what happened. Hopefully I can readjust by the time she gets back.

What I'm asking is this: is it normal to feel this way after a break-up? This was my first long-term, committed relationship so I'm in uncharted territory.

Yeah, and the ex said things had been broken for a few months. We had just been going through the motions and might have mentally ended it in July. She said she wanted to end it sooner but wasn't sure how to say it. I planned to not ask out any girls for at least a few weeks. But this time the girl made the first move and I wasn't prepared for that.

I also might still be mourning because I bake when I'm upset. In the month leading to the breakup, I baked a batch of apple brownies, some honey biscuits, and eight loaves of bread. Since the breakup, I've made one batch of chocolate-cheesecake swirl brownies, one more batch of apple brownies, and I'm baking three more loaves tonight. I don't even eat what I bake so my roommate's turning into Jabba the Hutt.

Last edited:
I have been broken up for about six months and I am just now feeling like I want to go out and date again but each person and relationship is different.

Mr. Z asked me out pretty much immediately after I broke up with my ex. That was 11 years ago.

But that doesn't mean this has to be a relationship yet. Go on some dates, get to know each other, keep it casual for now. She may or may not be what you're looking for, but the only way to know is if you get to know her. And if she isn't the one, then no big deal. Not everyone you go out with has to be a potential spouse.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that this is a good time for you to enjoy bachelorhood for a little while. Enjoy being single. Learn some things about yourself. Try a few new things.

How long were you with your ex? If it was a few years, then I would definitely suggest my above suggestion.

EDIT: Whoops, read your post too quick and missed the "two years" part. Yeah, I would say enjoy being single for at least a little while. But maybe see this friend, at least for a drink or dinner or something. Don't jump right into another relationship.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't feel qualified to give advice on this subject. Trying to think of what to say here made me realize I've only ever broken up with somebody once, and it was extremely unpleasantly messy, and it was when I was 19 anyway. I "met" Pauline a few months after that (we first got online), and still felt like it was too soon to be in another relationship... but it just kinda happened. One thing led to another.

The short answer: yes. If you and your ex broke up mutually understanding that things have not been right in the relationship, then it could be that you have already experienced the loss associated with breaking up. That's not the way break ups are presented either by friends' stories or in various media. Those representations usually involve fighting, tears, anger, among other things. It doesn't always happen that way, though. You both moved on without actually moving on - until now.
However, if you think you need time to breathe and process it would not be fair to get involved with someone else too quickly. You don't have to jump right in. And it's normal to be concerned about that, too. You like her and you don't want to ruin something that might have potential.

I started dating about 2 months after my marriage of 10 years fell apart. Most would say that was too soon and it probably was simply because the ex was still an issue that I was trying to resolve in my head and it wasn't really fair to the new girl that it was still being resolved. I think that would be my only concern about dating too soon. If it was pretty much over a long time ago then that 'mourning' has really already happened and there's no harm in going forward. I met my new girl two weeks after I moved to Winnipeg and felt pretty confident that the old girl wasn't going ot be an issue. I was 'mostly' right, but I also made sure that the new girl knew about some outstanding issues that were being dealt with still. In the end, that honesty was awesome.

Yeah, well frankly after coming out of a relationship that was belaboured with cheating and affairs and a reluctance to take responsibility for that, it was refreshing to have some honesty back in my life.

The girlfriend and I broke up last Thursday. It was a mutual, mostly painless breakup without arguing or recriminations. We both agreed that it felt like things hadn't been working since summer. I'll spare you the gory details, but I'd sometimes taken her for granted and she admitted she had been surly and resentful of my frequent travels. We had put it off because both of us were afraid of hurting the other party's feelings so it was kind of a relief. We even agreed to try being friends after everything calms down. As far as breakups go, it was the least awful. But that's not what this thread is about.

I told some friends about the breakup. No, I didn't blame the ex. I just said we were both at fault and that I was single again. One of my female friends, immediately after hearing about it, asked to go out for dinner with me after she returns from her trip overseas. She'll be back in about a week.

About this friend, she moved here in August and doesn't have any friends here. Her department colleagues are a bit anti-social so she was glad to share her geeky interests with someone. We hit it off right away and she meshed well with my group of friends. She's been over for game night and Hobbit Day elevenses. The first time she was over, she stayed until past midnight. I had guessed she was just happy to finally have somebody to talk to about Firefly. She then started coming over more frequently to hang out with me and my roommate.

The day before my friend left (remember this is after the breakup), I helped her move her group project and confirmed dinner, then I felt sort of bad afterward. Yes, I want to get to know her better. Yes, I like her. In fact, I think she's awesome. But it just feels weird right now because I'm single for the first time in nearly two years. I'm also eagerly looking forward to her return, which makes me feel douchey considering it's been less than a week since the breakup. I think I need a little time to breathe and process what happened. Hopefully I can readjust by the time she gets back.

What I'm asking is this: is it normal to feel this way after a break-up? This was my first long-term, committed relationship so I'm in uncharted territory.
It sounds like your previous relationship was already dead, so it's not quite as soon as you might think. And you know, I think you'd honestly regret not giving it a chance with this female friend. Don't put too much pressure on it, and just see where it leads. Yeah, you're doing to need time to adjust, but it sounds like she already knows what the situation is.

I usually dive right into another relationship after one ends (my last one was so sudden and out of left field to me to the point that I was honestly preparing to propose to her), my current being no exception, and despite a rocky start (because I'm a fucking moron) it's been one of the best of my life. So I don't see why not. I fucking loathe being single.

I am also TERRIBLY codependent. Another flaw.

So... the poor girl got back from Central America with E. coli. She didn't want to be around people for a while afterward but recovered before Halloween. We hung out again and she came over for my Halloween event. I did what you all suggested by not putting pressure on it and just letting things happen. I asked if she wanted to do something and she reciprocated by inviting me out. We've been talking quite a bit and are doing something this weekend. She's also coming over for Thanksgiving and seems to have a list of things she wants to do with me. What just happened?

So... the poor girl got back from Central America with E. coli. She didn't want to be around people for a while afterward but recovered before Halloween. We hung out again and she came over for my Halloween event. I did what you all suggested by not putting pressure on it and just letting things happen. I asked if she wanted to do something and she reciprocated by inviting me out. We've been talking quite a bit and are doing something this weekend. She's also coming over for Thanksgiving and seems to have a list of things she wants to do with me. What just happened?
You slow-played your hand, and it worked. By not stressing the situation, you came off as confident and interested, rather than desperate and anxious, and that let it develop more naturally. Obviously she's quite keen on you, so kudos!

List of things of what nature? :unibrow:
For some reason I pictured Steven Colbert doing that face and it cracked me up. In the near future, the list includes the Texas Renaissance Festival, hiking at a national forest, Game of Thrones marathons, baking Christmas cookies, and a hotseat Civilization V game. She prefers to hang at my place because it's cozy like a Hobbit hole.

What's remarkable is my roommate's girlfriend seems to get along with her. His girlfriend seems to hate other women but she made an exception.

Seriously though, if you make it through a full episode of Game of Thrones you are going overly slow. Not to mention the characters of the show are having more sex than you and that's just unacceptable.[DOUBLEPOST=1415462837,1415462783][/DOUBLEPOST]

So, we've had some outings and even had our first OFFICIAL date last Friday. The date went spectacularly well and we kissed at the end. She was going to be out in the sticks for the weekend on a group project. Long hours, manual labor, field work, that sort of thing. She said she'd be extremely busy all weekend, maybe stretching into Monday morning, and that's why we did something on Friday.

I gave her a call the night after the date to say I wanted to see her again. Nothing serious because I knew she could be busy. Her voicemail hadn't been set up so when she didn't pick up I just sent her a message saying I had a great time and looked forward to seeing her again. I left it at that. No response except for a work-related text meant for a coworker, filled with technical language. I figured I'd just leave her to her work for the rest of the weekend. Monday morning I sent her a quick text saying that I'd love to hear about the project and that I was going to bake a pie on Wednesday (she loves my cooking), and that she should expect a call soon. No response. I called later that night. No response. This is quite unusual because our communication had always been mutual. Even when we knew the other partner was busy, we'd still text. Whenever I was busy with work during my previous relationship, a quick text from my ex would brighten my day. Regardless, I'm not going to try reaching out again because I know that always backfires.

The last couple months of my previous relationship had been characterized by the silent treatment, which became a deal-breaker for me. I think it's still tender and I'm probably just taking it a lot harder than I should. My girl friends are telling me I'm just overanalyzing because I recently got out of a long relationship, and that it's natural to obsess over everything at this stage. She could just be flustered with a lot of work. Besides, she doesn't seem like the kind of person who would just drop somebody without a word, and she's still coming to Thanksgiving as far as I know. My guy friends are telling me that she still could have spent 30 seconds to return a text, and that I should kick her to the curb.

So that's the state of my love life right now. I just remembered that I HATE dating. The anticipation of an approaching confirmed date is awesome, and the date itself is great fun, but the tightrope act afterwards is the bane of my existence.

I really needed to hear that. Thanks. My director actually asked me to email her about an inter-disciplinary conference, but I kept that completely professional.

Here's something I don't get. There's an enormous double-standard. She would come to my place unannounced and it was never a problem. There was a game day one weekend and I had switched it from Saturday to Sunday. Her cell phone was crapping out (she has a tendency to break them when out in the field) so she barged in that Saturday when my roommate and I were eating cereal in our pajamas. She said "oh, well I wasn't sure if you sent another message moving it back to Saturday, and I figured I'd just come over in case you had. I don't have other plans, so would it be all right if I hung out here?" This was when I was with my last girlfriend, btw. If I ever tried something like that, it would just come off as creepy. It don't add up, boss. It just don't add up.

There's an enormous double-standard.

II7Fp.gif

My advice? Stop thinking about her every waking moment. Are you that fucking depending on someone else? You left a message (prolly more than one, you sad sack) and you have something planned in a few days?

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE COMPLETED ALL YOUR TASKS.

Now proceed to enjoy

- Life

Go do something else.

Here's another piece of advice.

Don't fucking keep your options reserved to her whims and schedule.

You're dating.

DATING.

Yes, it sucks... because you left something long-term.

DEAL WITH IT.

Now enjoy the highlights of singleness.

Go meet up with other girls. You never know what can happen. Go out with buddies. Go perform activities. Masterbate while checking out our cosplay forums.

You think she's not looking at the easy catalog of available penii?

Take a chill pill, move along. Enjoy life.

Meet other people.

Go do stuff with other people.

Your buddies are right, REALLY BUSY?

Uh huh, cause texting someone.

"Hey, got your message. BLA BLA RELEVANT RESPONSE. See you on INSERT DAY"

Too hard.

SO BUSY

What kind of project is this?

Are we, as humans going to be able to fly? Curing cancer? Life forever?

Because unless it's that important, a text is 1 minute. Usually done when on the shitter.

I usually send at least 5 texts when on a shitter.

I'm that efficient.

Anyways.

That's just my PO PO.

XK16s.gif

Cajungal

Staff member
Ideally, we could all just set up our damn personal parameters early on in a relationship in a kind, diplomatic way. "Hey, would you mind calling before you come over? I have a roommate/I have a weird sleep schedule because of work/that's just how I roll and I don't need an excuse."

In my experience, men always at least act more easy-going about last-minute stuff like that. Jake used to laugh when I'd call and ask if I could run by, like it was ridiculous that I still felt I had to ask. I need a half hour of warning unless it's an emergency, and everyone who loves me knows that. Don't know if it's wiring or what, but everyone--regardless of sex--deserves to have limits that they don't necessarily need to explain.

I really needed to hear that. Thanks. My director actually asked me to email her about an inter-disciplinary conference, but I kept that completely professional.

Here's something I don't get. There's an enormous double-standard. She would come to my place unannounced and it was never a problem. There was a game day one weekend and I had switched it from Saturday to Sunday. Her cell phone was crapping out (she has a tendency to break them when out in the field) so she barged in that Saturday when my roommate and I were eating cereal in our pajamas. She said "oh, well I wasn't sure if you sent another message moving it back to Saturday, and I figured I'd just come over in case you had. I don't have other plans, so would it be all right if I hung out here?" This was when I was with my last girlfriend, btw. If I ever tried something like that, it would just come off as creepy. It don't add up, boss. It just don't add up.
Then set some boundaries. No one comes to my house unannounced. If they do, then they won't do it again. That is rude regardless of gender or relationship status.

Oh wow, I had been functioning on little sleep for the past week, so I was a little out there for a while. I also woke up the other morning covered in stinking sweat, giving me reason to believe that I had just fought off a fever. It's a long story, but it turned out well because I did what you all suggested, sat tight, and buried myself in grading. Everything's fine now and I think I really just needed a solid eight hours of sleep.

Back to the double-standard, it also seems like women can call or text the guy as often as they like without any ramifications. If a woman calls the man a little too frequently, she's just taking initiative in the relationship. If a man does the same, he is smothering her.

GasBandit

Staff member
Back to the double-standard, it also seems like women can call or text the guy as often as they like without any ramifications. If a woman calls the man a little too frequently, she's just taking initiative in the relationship. If a man does the same, he is smothering her.
Wellllll.. not so much on that front. There's many a trope about clingy/codependent/overly attached girlfriends that can't stand to be out of touch.