Coronavirus Thread

Dave

Staff member
Aren't shingles a recurrence of chicken pox, but not as bad because your immune system already knows the virus?

Of course, people that are in danger would be screwed if you infected them even if the 2nd time around you personally don't feel sick, so...
Shingles are, indeed, chicken pox. But they are not "not as bad". In fact, shingles are way, way worse in a lot of cases. Shingles are painful where chicken pox is merely annoying and itchy.

Shingles are, indeed, chicken pox. But they are not "not as bad". In fact, shingles are way, way worse in a lot of cases. Shingles are painful where chicken pox is merely annoying and itchy.
Localized vs full body... It's certainly "worse" by any medical definition.

Plus, you might be comparing getting chickenpox at an early age, when your body handles it better, to getting shingles later, when it doesn't handle it as well.

Or even ones WITH good immune systems. Mr. Z has gotten shingles twice.
That’s awful. He has my sympathies.

We vaccinated the kids for chicken pox, but they still got a mild case and the doctor had me on anti virals to prevent me from «enjoying» it again.

Localized vs full body... It's certainly "worse" by any medical definition.

Plus, you might be comparing getting chickenpox at an early age, when your body handles it better, to getting shingles later, when it doesn't handle it as well.
Many childhood illnesses are like that. My friend’s kids had fifth disease and for them it was a red face, mild fever and a few days off school. I got it at the same time and I was covered in a rash, I had a very high fever and my fingers and feet were massively swollen. I felt rotten. It triggered four different flares of my arthritis. As in four joints at once.

Anyone heading for social media to whinge about a "mere" $1200 or "they want us fighting over scraps", just send your share over to me.

To be fair, the idea behind isolation and stay-at-home still is that most people (50-70% of the population) will get it - but much slower, thus allowing the medical services to cope with a steady increase in numbers instead of being overwhelmed. Belgium (for an example) has about 2900 ICU beds. Getting 1000 Covid victims at a time, we'll manage. Getting 3000 in one week? Guess that's 100 people not being cared for. The whole point behind "flatten the curve" isn't "so it'll die out" but "so that it doesn't overwhelm capacity".
People saying "oh, better get it out of the way, then" don't grasp that a LOT of people will get infected before any stay-at-home or other measures were taken, so that the peak will be relatively early (or should be, with proper measures). It's the worst time to get it, and, since we're still not sure about building up resistance (there's an assumption going that apparently re-infected people were in fact not completely cured, as it seems Covid-19 can hang around semi-dormant for weeks after the end of symptoms) and whether or not you can get re-infected, the idea of "getting over it" doesn't apply.
Post automatically merged:

So the people in the class all have anime shit hanging on the walls, but the teacher has an actual kid in their bed? Whoops.

I saw the Trolley Problem mentioned earlier in this thread, but Michael Schur does a great breakdown of how it applies to our situation right now in this Twitter thread:

[Not sure if I embedded that right. Bear with me. EDIT- hey, it worked!]

Of course, the real problem is the people who need to understand this the most:
A) Still won't get it
B) Never watched The Good Place
C) Might have watched it, but still, A)

Any1 that says that shit needs to volunteer as tribute to an ICU full of Covid patients for a week... lets see if they actually mean it when they say the economy is more important then lives when it's their lives...

Anyone heading for social media to whinge about a "mere" $1200 or "they want us fighting over scraps", just send your share over to me.
I mean, $1200 is better than nothing, but if you're out of work for two months, thats not exactly going to save you.

Dave

Staff member
That would take care of my rent for a month. But by the time we got it I'd already be out.

That reminds me, i went shopping today, and they had toilet paper all over the place... guess they assumed we'd do the same here.

But we didn't.... everyone went for the flour and "whatever you call corn flour in english" (i keep getting hominy, but the images don't match).

I mean, $1200 is better than nothing, but if you're out of work for two months, thats not exactly going to save you.
My next thought on this is that it's supposed to be sent out at the end of April, but Trump is insisting we all go back to work by Easter. Is he going to pull a "LOL I said you could work again, you get nothing!"? I wouldn't put it past him.

Coarsely ground cornmeal is sometimes called "grits" or even "polenta."
Wait, aren't both of those after you prepare them to be eaten?

But yeah, they're likely buying it to make the local polenta, since it lasts a long time in the fridge.

Sorta? I mean, it has the same name both before and after being cooked.
View attachment 33370

--Patrick
That looks more like a case of "pizza dough" to me, then it being the name for the corn flour. As in corn grits for making polenta.

According to this, it's corn flint: https://www.thespruceeats.com/cornmeal-vs-grits-vs-polenta-1328613 , but tehy also clearly use the word for the before stuff. But then here they clearly understand that you can make it with finer ground corn flour too: https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-polenta-1664720

Over here corn flour is just called mălai, and it just says on it if it's fine, medium or coarse.

Last edited:
I had shingles last year. it was three weeks of constant pain and possibly the worst thing I have ever been through. I still get nerve pain related to it.

Well, today is the first day I legitimately started going stir crazy. I've also begun loathing my boarder with all my heart.

I had shingles last year. it was three weeks of constant pain and possibly the worst thing I have ever been through. I still get nerve pain related to it.
I had shingles last October. I caught the rash within hours of it appearing and started taking anti-virals immediately. In combination with NSAIDs, I got off incredibly easy.