Coronavirus Thread

My first thought was "Everyone else is wearing a mask, this would be the safest place for me not to wear one. Ahh..."

But if I'm being honest, I presume he did it to show his followers that a true Man Of God need not fear any earthly disease.

--Patrick

My mom finally got in to get her back surgery done yesterday, and came home this morning, but there's a chance her right leg might never work right again because they waited so long. Time will tell.

My mom finally got in to get her back surgery done yesterday, and came home this morning, but there's a chance her right leg might never work right again because they waited so long. Time will tell.
That’s just awful. I really hope her leg improves.

You may have heard about American oil prices cratering due to Corona.
More importantly, the price of one of life's necessities is now in free fall, too: the price for Belgian frying potatoes has dropped to 1 euro per 100 kilograms.
Please, think of the local farmers, eat fries.

Yes, our government has pledged a promotional campaign to encourage people to eat more fries.

That Woman From Michigan issues executive order 2020-64, once again abusing the power of her position to decree that... <checks notes> ...hospitals can’t deny service based on a person’s ‘worth.’

Also TIL that the Lansing protest that jammed up traffic around the capitol two weeks ago was hosted in part by the Michigan Freedom Fund, a conservative group that posts inflammatory articles such as "Gov. Whitmer's lies and Leftist ties," and which also appears to have close ties to, of all people... the DeVos family.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Talked to my boss today. Depending on which executive you speak to at my work, we'll be going back anywhere from May 15 to October 1. And we'll probably be going back one or two at a time on differing days. Glad they are taking it seriously, though.

Talked to my boss today. Depending on which executive you speak to at my work, we'll be going back anywhere from May 15 to October 1. And we'll probably be going back one or two at a time on differing days. Glad they are taking it seriously, though.
How are you liking working from home? Do you think you or anyone else will ask about working from home more once all this is over?

GasBandit

Staff member
I know you didn't ask ME, but since the topic is broached... I actually kinda prefer going into the office to do my coding, even though I'm perfectly capable of coding at home. I guess if I thought I was going to code from home for more than a few weeks, I might take the trouble to actually set up a workspace to be more convenient for it, like I have at work, with a thunderbolt dock and stuff.

Yeah, my husband brought his whole computer set up from work home (He actually went back to the empty building a few times to get more stuff), and we set it up in the laundry room to create a separate work space so it's easier to separate work from not-work. I think he would have lost it by now had we not done that.

I actually kinda prefer going into the office to do my coding, even though I'm perfectly capable of coding at home. I guess if I thought I was going to code from home for more than a few weeks, I might take the trouble to actually set up a workspace to be more convenient for it, like I have at work, with a thunderbolt dock and stuff.
I, too, have trouble doing work at home, because home is where I do home things, not work things.

--Patrick

I want the option to at least do a few days from home when this settles. Nothing has dipped in terms of our productivity and gaining back the 2 hours I lost to the commute each day is huge. Plus I'm saving on not eating out( I know I could pack in but I never do for long).

But that won't happen and they're gonna make us all go back to a dumb open concept office where people get distracted by nothing and meetings take 20 minutes longer than scheduled and on and on and on.

Working from home is all right, but for some reason the pedals I have installed on the floor don't seem to work very well.

(They're not attached to anything at the moment, of course, so that may have something to do with it.)

I just wish that I bought a better chair at the first of this. The one I have is only comfortable for a couple of hours. At 4 hours, it hurts like hell. Now if I order one it would not get here until after I have to go back to the office.

Dave

Staff member
How are you liking working from home? Do you think you or anyone else will ask about working from home more once all this is over?
I can do either. I actually love working from home. Only thing I miss is the interaction. But I get just as much done here than I do there. Plus working from home I have no drive time, I waste no gas, and I eat much better.

So if they let it go longer I'm totally cool with it. If we have to go in sooner I just have to get used to wearing something other than pajama pants again.

I can do either. I actually love working from home. Only thing I miss is the interaction. But I get just as much done here than I do there. Plus working from home I have no drive time, I waste no gas, and I eat much better.

So if they let it go longer I'm totally cool with it. If we have to go in sooner I just have to get used to wearing something other than pajama pants again.
I think I figured I'm saving $600/month in gas and lunches by working from home. That's definitely a bonus.

Historically, I never ate out much at my jobs. But historically, I've been a coding mushroom and never interacted much with anyone. At this job, I'm a department head and have to interact with my direct reports and other department heads. So, the last few years I've done my best to cultivate relationships--and that's generally done over lunches.

I’m so bad for take out at work. Our office is vile and I can’t bring myself to use the kitchen there so I drive through a lot. I’m saving a lot there and on gas as we live outside of town.

I was back at the office yesterday to oversee something being fixed and I was actually cranky that I had to wear real pants. Or pants if you’re one of those people that don’t feel leggings are pants.

Our work is pretty portable already due to how often we travel, but we’ve never teleworked so often. I like working from home, but I think we need to be in the office some as a lot of our work is group based.

What I’m happy to be missing is all the conference call meetings with head office. Most of them could be emails and now are. I sure hope it stays that way.

I find it hard to believe that Texas is reopening (in phases) while the deaths and new infections are steadily climbing. Social distancing has work pretty well here. But it sounds like we are going to give up on that by the 15th.

Dave

Staff member
What's a few thousand deaths? I mean, without them, the billionaire business owners might not be able to get their third yacht.

What's a few thousand deaths? I mean, without them, the billionaire business owners might not be able to get their third yacht.
I mean, if at least one of those few thousand deaths is another billionaire, they could get it for a pittance at the estate sale.

--Patrick