Coronavirus Thread

One of my coworkers, who was with in a car with me all the way to San Francisco and back only two days ago, just tested positive this morning.

1656614987702.png

Mood for the next few days will be...apprehensive.

--Patrick

One of my coworkers, who was with in a car with me all the way to San Francisco and back only two days ago, just tested positive this morning.

View attachment 41910

Mood for the next few days will be...apprehensive.

--Patrick
Some of the newer Covid variants have an incubation of 24-48 hours, meaning there’s a slight chance he got it after the drive.

Good luck.

Some of the newer Covid variants have an incubation of 24-48 hours, meaning there’s a slight chance he got it after the drive.
Yeah, the one I had in May was exposure Wed (most likely), and symptoms began Fri night.
And it's most likely he got it while we were in San Francisco, since we were there for about 4hrs with the gods only know how many other people. For what it's worth, I was the only one who kept his mask on the entire time except for the point where I got something to drink, and my last booster was just two weeks ago, so my hopes are pretty high.

--Patrick

I'm not sure what you mean by "that," @Dave . So here's everything you might've meant.
I don't feel like I'm oversharing. That is, I don't feel like I'm revealing anything that should have been kept confidential.

Likely exposure: May 11th (unmasked & over a 2hr period)
First hints/symptoms: May 13th (evening)
Confirmation: May 16th (Mon morning test prior to work -- I only had 2 tests left on-hand, didn't want to burn one on a non-testing day)
Full recovery: May 18th
Return to work: May 26th
Jab #4: June 15th (Pfizer)
Kid(s) visit: June 15th-19th
Next exposure: June 28th (evening - masked & over a 3-1/2hr period)
Coworker notification: June 30th (late afternoon)
Rapid antigen test: June 30th (late evening - negative)

--Patrick

My wife's dad got it, then her mom got it, but her sister (who lives with her parents) did not get it.

My youngest sister and her husband got it, but apparently their toddler daughter managed to avoid it.

My other sister and her husband also got it, but their elementary-school-aged daughter also never got it.

There's an odd pattern emerging here in my family.

It's going to hit everyone at this point. We as a country gave up trying to stop it.

On the bright side my COVID adventures have been mild so far. It's actually been easier then my cedar allergies and is several magnitudes better then when I got swine flu.

Thanks Moderna.

Two and a half FUCKING years with nothing. One week before vacation…
Since 3/2020, I have been to exactly TWO social events. The first one, I caught COVID. The second, one of the other three people caught it and then gave it to his wife (who was another of the three).
That’s it. I’m done with anything public. Ain’t gonna be no third time.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Timeline for Dave's Covid Superfunextraveganza.

Friday: Felt great all day. Good mood. Worked. Had fun. Friday night as soon as I laid down I started hacking and wheezing. Figured it was because of the fan that blows right in my damned face. Took Nyquil about midnight so I could sleep.
Saturday: Felt weak & shaky all day at work. Hacking & coughing. Thought my wooziness was due to lingering affects of Nyquil, but it just never got better. Told the guy following me at my station to wipe everything down as I was feeling bad. Hope he did it. Got home. Popped the test.
Sunday: Sunday is a blur of sleeping, hacking, showering, laundry (which I'll get into), sleeping, sleeping, and more sleeping. Started feeling a bit better and sick of being in bed about 9 pm. Got up, watched Morbius for the first time. Then went back to bed.
Monday: Woke up this morning feeling actually pretty decent. I still have a scratchy throat from all the coughing & stuff, but overall I feel pretty good.

Now to the laundry part. Know what I found out? One of the potential symptoms is diarrhea. And when you are coughing a lot - especially in your sleep - well, you do the math. Luckily it only happened once but I was up at 5 am washing sheets so I could go back to bed.

In the end, I'm really REALLY glad I was vaxxed and boosted twice. I can't imagine how bad this could have been. I mean, it came on fast and it knocked my ass OUT for a couple days. And I had a bodyguard.

In the end, I'm really REALLY glad I was vaxxed and boosted twice. I can't imagine how bad this could have been. I mean, it came on fast and it knocked my ass OUT for a couple days. And I had a bodyguard.
My mom is so anti-vax. She believes every conspiracy bullshit story q-anon and the right puts out. She literally and non-ironically asked my aunt and I to put magnets on our arms after getting vaxxed. One of her complaints is "If you're vaxed, you still can catch it. So what's the point?"

The answer is, of course, this virus comes on faster than your immune response, so you're still gonna be sick a few days until your immune system goes "Oh yeah, I was vaxxed for this" and kicks its ass. Without the vax, you suffer for at least a couple weeks and potentially die. With the vax, you're sick for a short time, and to a much lesser degree. Not that the explanation holds any water for her :(

GasBandit

Staff member
My mom is so anti-vax. She believes every conspiracy bullshit story q-anon and the right puts out. She literally and non-ironically asked my aunt and I to put magnets on our arms after getting vaxxed. One of her complaints is "If you're vaxed, you still can catch it. So what's the point?"

The answer is, of course, this virus comes on faster than your immune response, so you're still gonna be sick a few days until your immune system goes "Oh yeah, I was vaxxed for this" and kicks its ass. Without the vax, you suffer for at least a couple weeks and potentially die. With the vax, you're sick for a short time, and to a much lesser degree. Not that the explanation holds any water for her :(
"Both vaxxed and non-vaxxed people can get it!" Yeah, and both Serena Williams and I can play tennis, but one is WAY more of a threat.

I hope being vaccinated turns out to reduce the long term effects of Covid that I'm currently seeing, since I was unfortunate enough to catch it in the first wave before a vaccination was available because Florida

"Both vaxxed and non-vaxxed people can get it!" Yeah, and both Serena Williams and I can play tennis, but one is WAY more of a threat.
Never have and never will understand what the hell these people are on about with that. Do they think vaccinations are like some magical force field that repels viruses as they try to get into your body? That isn't how any of this works.

You can still technically get polio, but because everyone is vaccinated against polio the worst they get is a sniffles which they likely never even knew was polio. The body is able to fight off the virus before it freaking cripples them. That's the point.

I mean why have locks on doors or security systems when people can still break into your house? What's that? The locks slowed him down and the security system scared him away after he was only able to steal your TV and not your entire life savings in the pillow upstairs? Might as well get rid of it all since it didn't save that TV, what's the point?

Dave

Staff member
Vero got it. Gaby has being coughing since last week. We don't know if Vero got it from Gaby or if Gaby is suffering from her alergies and Vero got it first. The thing is, I'm waiting for Gaby or me to get sick.
Vaxxed? Yes?

Father-in-law (who we share our home with) just confirmed positive today after feeling "run-down" for the last couple of days.
He is almost 80 and refuses to stop going to the public library just about every day for 4-6hrs each day.
After all the effort I went through to make sure I didn't bring this home for anyone else to enjoy, I feel just a little bit betrayed.

--Patrick

Been very happy that I didn't interact a whole lot with my kids or wife last week due to work scheduling. It looks like none of them picked it up from me. I quarantined myself into my bedroom, and the few times I had to leave for food or such I masked and sanitized, even opening door with a sanitizing cloth rather than bare hands. All of them tested negative four times in a row.

Me? Still positive, but the line was really faded last time which means viral load is less heavy then it was when I took it last time, which the line appeared instant and sharp. Think I am over the hump.

Father-in-law (who we share our home with) just confirmed positive today after feeling "run-down" for the last couple of days.
He is almost 80 and refuses to stop going to the public library just about every day for 4-6hrs each day.
After all the effort I went through to make sure I didn't bring this home for anyone else to enjoy, I feel just a little bit betrayed.
Everyone at my house EXCEPT ME now has COVID. All 4 of them.
My father-in-law, while talking to my wife: "How could it have gotten in here? Who could have brought it?"
My wife, in response: "I think maybe that would be the first person who tested positive, hmm?"
Father-in-law: "[...]"

--Patrick

And now my daughter has it.

She hasn’t had any symptoms. She just took a Covid test as a precaution before going to a summer camp tomorrow. But she tested positive (twice!), and now she’s isolated upstairs.

This absolutely sucks. I feel bad for her. It was upsetting when I got it; for her, it’s devastating.

We live with Sarah's parents and her brother currently to save for our own house and, while we have the bottom floor to ourselves, we share a kitchen and shower upstairs. I am actually shocked that we managed to keep it just between myself and her while we had it.