Coronavirus Thread

Maybe it's just us, or maybe it's coincidence, but with the mask wearing and hand washing reminders, we've gotten less colds and minor viruses than in years past. Kids are germ farms, but I have noticed we're harvesting less of them, so yay?
Last time I was at the doc, we were discussing this, and she mentioned that she'd read all the care we've been taking may have driven some flu strains to extinction. So, I hadda look it up.

Definitely. I haven't had a serious cold or throatache in almost two years now. Amazing what happens when people actually cover their mouths when coughing/sneezing and keep a distance when they're sick.
Same here. I didn't need to take a single day of sick leave this year and most of last year.

I wish that facts like this could be used to convince mask skeptics, but they'll just claim that all the flu cases are being intentionally reported as COVID.
Add Missouri to the list (if you didn't have it on there already).
"Nobody must be allowed to know that the facts do not fit our narrative! NOBODY!"
This is, like, cartoon Professor Hinkle levels of villainy. But I suppose this sort of behavior shouldn't be surprising since their administration is apparently trying to turn MO into some kind of soybean republic.

--Patrick

Huh, that's weird. I can't seem to find any statistics on the infection rate of cancer. Can someone help me with that? How quickly does cancer spread from one person to another, like it does with Covid?

The amount of people trying to defend what she said has made me lose hope for humanity. One guy even says she is correct that cancer is contagious because it runs in his family. No, that's hereditary you fucking idiot.

If I didn't have kids I would be all for just nuking ourselves by this point. My kids are the only thing that gives me hope that maybe a future generation can be better.

figmentPez

Staff member
Huh, that's weird. I can't seem to find any statistics on the infection rate of cancer. Can someone help me with that? How quickly does cancer spread from one person to another, like it does with Covid?

Also consider that this is from the party that wants us to believe that asbestos doesn't cause cancer, and that businesses need to continue mining it and using it.

Yes, lots of people die from cancer. That's why smoking is banned in most public spaces, why children aren't allowed to buy tobacco, why where are all sort of health warnings on various products, why there are emissions regulations, why some carcinogens are banned from use in certain ways, etc. Doctors, scientists, and other concerned citizens saw that cancer was killing people, and demanded that something be done to stop it. Guess who was the biggest voice of opposition to stopping cancer? Republicans working behalf of their greedy business overlords.

"Stupid doesn't know that cancer isn't infectious" is the punchline, but cancer spreads via chemicals and radiation, and Republicans are hell-bent on making sure that cancer continues to kill people, too.

Dave

Staff member
Seems the Omicron variant might be a good thing. It’s really fast spreading but is way less dangerous than other strains. Does this mean if you get it you are better protected again the others? Could be!

If true that’s awesome news!

figmentPez

Staff member
Seems the Omicron variant might be a good thing. It’s really fast spreading but is way less dangerous than other strains. Does this mean if you get it you are better protected again the others? Could be!

Good in some ways, not in others. If this just leads to apathy in fighting the pandemic, then we could reach a point where the world just accepts a perpetual coronavirus like we accept influenza constantly going around. It might seem less scary to have a not horribly lethal virus, but it's also a highly contagious virus, and the more people who get that, the more it will mutate, and eventually older immunities will be less effective, and... well, people keep dying. A smaller percentage dying is still people dying.

If I hear one more person say "well, we won't be back as 'square one', we've got <blah, blah, blah>" I know we're not getting sent back to start, but if we keep hitting Go Back Three Spaces then we never win Candy Land guys. The goal isn't just to keep rolling dice forever, it's to actually be done with the stupid board game.

Good in some ways, not in others. If this just leads to apathy in fighting the pandemic, then we could reach a point where the world just accepts a perpetual coronavirus like we accept influenza constantly going around. It might seem less scary to have a not horribly lethal virus, but it's also a highly contagious virus, and the more people who get that, the more it will mutate, and eventually older immunities will be less effective, and... well, people keep dying. A smaller percentage dying is still people dying.

If I hear one more person say "well, we won't be back as 'square one', we've got <blah, blah, blah>" I know we're not getting sent back to start, but if we keep hitting Go Back Three Spaces then we never win Candy Land guys. The goal isn't just to keep rolling dice forever, it's to actually be done with the stupid board game.
Sorry to be That Guy, but pretty much all virologists, epidemicists and biostatisticians have long ago said we'll be moving to endemic Corona presence, not total eradication. it's just not feasible with the current reactions. Vaccine rollout should have been far more drastic, especially with regards to Africa and central Asia, and Delta reactions should have been much faster and stronger. There's no political will left for a global 3-month lockdown which is what it would probably take to really hurt Covid.

Endemic presence with a yearly vaccine shot similar to the flu seems the most likely path at this point, along with trying to push the virus towards less lethal strains.

Well, yes and no. The numbers so far indicate (but you know, early and unclear etc) that while Omikron IS much less deadly, it is also much MORE likely to infect vaccinated people. In the unvaccinated, getting Omikron is definitely better than getting Delta - in the vaccinated population, the reverse might be true as far as mortality goes. If there are 5x more breakthrough cases, and Omikron causes half as many deaths, that still means 2.5 times MORE people end up dead.
I had the same hopes you had, but - while it's not off the table yet - it doesn't seem to be the actual case right now, sadly.

I wonder what the per-capita rates are but I suspect they are still worse today than in 1952. Of course, the debilitating effects on survivors of polio is another matter. Long-covid is real and not to be trivialized. The paralyzing effects of polio were pretty extreme, though. All that said, it is the people dying from Covid that refuse to believe it is Covid that really sends home the message about how different misinformation is today compared to 70 years ago.

figmentPez

Staff member
Hastag "DoNotComplyEVER" is trending on Twitter right now, with anti-vaxx propaganda.

It's fucking ironic given that right wing nutjobs always try to claim that black people dead at the hands of police should have just complied if they wanted to still be alive.

Hastag "DoNotComplyEVER" is trending on Twitter right now, with anti-vaxx propaganda.

It's fucking ironic given that right wing nutjobs always try to claim that black people dead at the hands of police should have just complied if they wanted to still be alive.
If things had gone a bit differently and antivax sentiment was mainly pushed by, say, black people having higher amounts of serious side-effects while white people died more due to the virus, you can bet they'd all be screaming their heads off about forced vaccinations and ungrateful/disrespectful/etc people refusing to vaccinate.

Add Missouri to the list (if you didn't have it on there already).
Local health agencies in Missouri are just giving up.
...the Laclede County Health Department, northeast of Springfield, announced that it has ceased all COVID-19-related work, including case investigations, contact tracing, quarantine orders, and public announcements of current cases and deaths.
[...]
Overall, Missouri is currently seeing a surge in COVID-19 cases. The state is averaging over 2,700 new COVID-19 cases per day, a 68 percent increase over the past two weeks. Daily hospitalizations are averaging over 1,700, a 45 percent increase over the past two weeks. Approximately 52 percent of the state is fully vaccinated, well below national coverage, and around a dozen of the state's 114 counties have vaccination percentages in the 20s.
Judge Daniel Green of the Cole County Circuit Court, who entered a judgment on November 22 in the case of Shannon Robinson, et. al., v. Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) [...]ruled, essentially, that it was unconstitutional for the state to delegate disease prevention powers to unelected health officials.
[...]
Missouri DHSS Director Donald Kauerauf wrote that the department was "still assessing the extent and impact of this court opinion" and recommended local health agencies talk with lawyers. [...Kauerauf also] requested that [Missouri State] Attorney General [Eric] Schmitt appeal Green's ruling[, b]ut Schmitt refused to appeal the case and [instead] immediately began enforcing Green's ruling, sending letters to local health departments [...demanding] they rescind and cease enforcement and publicizing of public health orders, mask mandates, quarantine orders, or other orders that were declared null and void by the recent decision
Schmitt also happens to be running for US Senate in 2022, apparently on a platform of overturning mask mandates.

--Patrick

Last edited:
A few days ago, Taiwan reported its first local infection in about a month. The source of the infection? A lab worker in a research institute was bitten by a mouse infected with the virus. However, she hid the bite for several days until she started feeling unwell, and was finally tested for COVID and it turned out positive. Contact tracing has gone into overdrive for everyone this lab worker has come into contact with since the bite.

Currently we're not sure if the virus was directly transmitted by the bite or if she was infected due to lax implementation of protocols after the bite. (Apparently she was a bit panicked so she didn't remove her PPE in the correct order.) But "lab animal bites human and transmits deadly virus" sounds like something out of a movie.