Coronavirus Thread

In a fun little twist today, the Paris TX ISD is going to get around Abbot's mask ban by adding masks to the dress code. Here in Texas, any school can set their own dress code or require things like uniforms, and so by adding the mask to the dress code kids will be required to wear them just like they would specific pants or tshirts. Abbot won't be able to do shit about it since it wouldn't fall under a temporary medical measure.

While I'm sure it's been used somewhere before. Has anyone seen a good meme along the lines of asking some anti-masker "If you had to surgery of some sort, would you want the medical staff to wear masks? Why?"

Well, where the last few months our WFH has been extended by one month every time and "preparations are being made for the return to the office", now we got an internal e-mail saying WFH has been extended "indefinitely" and we'll be informed at least a month in advance when a partial return to the office might be possible, but not to expect it any time soon. So...November at the earliest I guess?
And we've now also been informed that the decision is we will not be returning full time....But that there's no budget to replace our desktops with laptops. Err, guys, I'm biking 20km+ one way to the office, I'm perfectly game to put my desktop in a bike saddle bag every time but I pretty much guarantee you it's not going to survive for long. Giving me a laptop will save you money in the long run.

"Everyone please be careful - whether you are vaccinated or not. My husband (vaccinated, but positive) has been waiting 2+ hours for monoclonal therapy and he says he has never seen people so sick. Moaning, crying, unable to move." (Reddit)

Meanwhile...

State gives Broward County Schools 48 hours to comply with mask order

Broward County and Alachua County school board members who voted to impose a mask mandate without an opt-out clause for parents could start losing their monthly pay as soon as next week unless they reverse their policy. (Miami Herald)

Dave

Staff member
Couple things from looking into this:

• I feel really sorry for the girl. She also works at Amazon so when it comes to jobs she's a glutton for punishment. And I'm not blaming her. I'm sure she'd like to work only one job to pay the bills and staying home wasn't financially viable for her. In all of this she's the real victim.
  • The business was a little pissed off about this. They aren't the ones who posted it, but the internet mob came after them and started calling/harassing the staff.
  • They sent her home because she was sick, which means as a server she made $0 for that day. So while I understand the business's need to keep the customers safe, servers should be able to have paid time off like everyone else.
  • Mandel doubled down once he started getting shit for this...sort of In fact, he started jumping on the business as well, telling them (rightly) that they need to pay her to stay home.
This whole thing was just fucking stupid and Mandel is a fucking idiot for posting without thinking.

I feel really sorry for the girl. She also works at Amazon so when it comes to jobs she's a glutton for punishment. And I'm not blaming her. I'm sure she'd like to work only one job to pay the bills and staying home wasn't financially viable for her. In all of this she's the real victim.
Yeah, I don't think she came into work sick to own the libs. I however, doubt that her bosses at the restaurant would've been so understanding if she told them she wanted to stay home before that shift started.

Unvaccinated by choice covid patients should be lowest priority for any hospital with a shortage of room. Similar to how in some countries, people that aren't organ donors are last in line to get an organ should they need one.

Gosh, if only there was political will to give people a living wage and health and wage security.
It would solve so much.
Sick/depressed and can't go to work? No worries, you still have a guaranteed income.
Just moved to a new town? It's ok, you'll have enough to get by until you get established.
Boss keeps making creepy sexual advances? Just...leave. The boss can't hold your job over your head to force you to stay.
Car break down? You'll still be able to eat while it's in the shop, plus you'll better be able to afford to maintain it to keep it from breaking down in the first place.
Want to try a new career, write, or do some art? Have at it without being distracted by where your next paycheck will come from.
Did your position/business suddenly become obsolete? Eh, it happens. Land on your feet, find something new.
Medical bills killing your ability to live? Well not any more now that everyone is covered.
Do you hate what you do? Go do something else, something you like!

--Patrick

It would solve so much.
Sick/depressed and can't go to work? No worries, you still have a guaranteed income.
Just moved to a new town? It's ok, you'll have enough to get by until you get established.
Boss keeps making creepy sexual advances? Just...leave. The boss can't hold your job over your head to force you to stay.
Car break down? You'll still be able to eat while it's in the shop, plus you'll better be able to afford to maintain it to keep it from breaking down in the first place.
Want to try a new career, write, or do some art? Have at it without being distracted by where your next paycheck will come from.
Did your position/business suddenly become obsolete? Eh, it happens. Land on your feet, find something new.
Medical bills killing your ability to live? Well not any more now that everyone is covered.
Do you hate what you do? Go do something else, something you like!

--Patrick
But someone lazy, or undeserving, or brown might get some of that money! We can't have that.

I know it's pretty much 1:1 in Alberta, like Francis here, but man, it's almost as if there's REAL crossover between anti-maskers and this other ideology.

Funny that the anti-vax crowd never really saw the bigger picture of 'dyin' to pwn teh libs.'

You did know that'll mean there'll be more of THEM than there are of YOU, didn't you?