Comments from +/- Rep Notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt²

It's an attempt to keep the dickery down. As it stands I could see 3 options with the rep system:

1. Remove it altogether.
  2. Allow pos rep only.
  3. Allow neg rep but allow everyone to see who put the comments.
Personally, #3 seemed the best option.
I think #1 is the best option, and yes, I know I have used the system extensively.. I just think the rep system was a bad idea from the start.

I like the rep system.
Sure, being able to see who is neg repping you is nice and all, but does it let me see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so, but I bet people would fin a way to use it in a passive agressive way if it did.

Dave

Staff member
See, I like the rep system, too. But only when it's non-anonymous. I think that we'll still have people neg-repping - and I think that the neg reps given are no real surprise - but I think it'll cut down on the anonymously snarky comments. Neg repping a person or a post is perfectly fine and can be constructive, but some of the comments have been stupid.

M

makare

I like the anonymity, that's the fun part. Same with title changes. Taking the anonymity out makes it much less interesting.

Dave

Staff member
I also, but Ame and I have been looking for something like this and it's hard to find. There's an addon from DBT but it adds a shitload to the postbit. There's another one but it doesn't have screen prints so we don't know what it would look like. We're still searching.

I am cool with anonymous rep when it was constructive. I know I can be a bit of a dick sometimes and need to be taken down a peg every so often, so constructive negative reps didn't bother me. It was the "Haha, this is all a joke and I hate it so I'll neg rep 10 people a day for shits and giggles" which annoyed me.

I guess I should have just told myself it was just how the internet works. Someone would rather piss in your corn flakes because you are enjoying them than just go make their own bowl.

Glad to see this put in. Now I can see the cowards names and scheme appropriately.

Let me just say that my opinion on some people.... have changed dramatically. You little bitches.

D:

>:D

Out of curiosity, was the amount of jerkass neg-repping really that bad to necessitate stripping the anonymity? I kind of agree with Reboneer and makare in keeping things anonymous, provided it's not causing the mods a lot of headaches. Is there a way you could maybe limit neg-repping to like, once a week or something instead?

My snarky neg reps will remain just as snarky. My 'thumbs up' positive reps will likely remain just as devoid of meaty elocution ;)

Most of what I've said in reps would have been things I'd have posted anyway (before the rep system), but the rep system allowed me to express those thoughts without disrupting the flow of conversation in the thread.

I'd rather neg rep with a "Quit being a whiny bitch" than post it and have the whole thread devolve into bitchy whining.

That said, i'd be surprised if any of my neg reps ever rose to the level of needing to be reported. I'm pretty sure that I wasn't that much of a jackass ;)

I just want to point out that my account got hacked, so anyone who got any rep that came with, oh I don't know, say lurid descriptions of imagined trysts between forumites with my name on them, it was totally whoever hacked my account. Shame, shame on them.

Dave

Staff member
Nope. It's one of the three possible effects I gave before. Of course no matter what I do someone won't like it, so :p

Nope. It's one of the three possible effects I gave before. Of course no matter what I do someone won't like it, so :p
You know you've succeeded when everyone is unhappy.

Also, as a side note, I'm actually very interested to see who rep'd me for what. It actually gives the positives more impact, and (surprising to me, at least) significantly lessens the impact of the negative reps.

But, hey, you know, I'm good with whatever you guys do. People who take this too seriously should get a cat so they can truly understand what disdain feels like when directed at them. This is nothing.

People who take this too seriously should get a cat so they can truly understand what disdain feels like when directed at them. This is nothing.
YES.[/QUOTE]

But my entire sense of self-worth is predicated on comments from strangers on the internet! WHY DO YOU HATE MEEE?! :D

Also, to everyone I neg-repped: you totally deserved it, bitches. :p

I've never actually bothered to do so.

But how much are we strangers? Some people from here I've formed friendships with, albeit without face to face contact. I care what happens to them just as much as my friends where I live.

Dave

Staff member
Only the last 10 show. There is no way for a non-Mod/Admin to view further back than that. This number can be changed by me but I'm not going to. So historical reps can't be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.