Comic Book News

GasBandit

Staff member
Shaving the sides of your head and keeping part of it long is a long standing punk style that's only recently become mainstream. As someone who's always dug it, I'm actually kind of happy more people are trying it out.
[DOUBLEPOST=1424823107,1424822911][/DOUBLEPOST]
You're awfully close to getting cameltoe from Jem in that dress, as well.
Given that Jem is a holographic construct, I'm pretty sure that (if desired) modesty can be "almost" unprotected from every angle simultaneously. Sort of like the old rotating tease hologram they used to sell at the expensive gizmo stores in the mall back in the 90s.

I'm not surprised IDW's cranking out a Jem comic at all, they're basically got the market on 80's-90's cartoon revival comics. Transformers (two titles) and TMNT (all of which are amazing), plus I think they use GI Joe too?

I'm not surprised IDW's cranking out a Jem comic at all, they're basically got the market on 80's-90's cartoon revival comics. Transformers (two titles) and TMNT (all of which are amazing), plus I think they use GI Joe too?
They did a Ghostbusters one for awhile too that was pretty fun.

They do.

I read the first issue of this (Advance preview for retailers) and it was enjoyable. I've never seen the show, but the art was good and if you were a fan as a child I would recommend it.

Shaving the sides of your head and keeping part of it long is a long standing punk style that's only recently become mainstream. As someone who's always dug it, I'm actually kind of happy more people are trying it out.
It's only now becoming main stream? During the mid-90's, most the guys at my school had that haircut. (The top was long and the sides were shaved.) Considering at that age (13-16) most of these guys' parents were paying for this haircut, I don't think you can get more "mainstream" than that.
Unless we're only taking about it being a haircut for women.

Christ, what old cartoon isn't going to get a comic revival eventually? Samurai Jack, Powerpuff Girls, Invader Zim (Not a JTHM sequel but still awesome), Dexter's Lab, sky is the damn limit!

It's only now becoming main stream? During the mid-90's, most the guys at my school had that haircut. (The top was long and the sides were shaved.) Considering at that age (13-16) most of these guys' parents were paying for this haircut, I don't think you can get more "mainstream" than that.
Unless we're only taking about it being a haircut for women.
Yeah, just for women.

GasBandit

Staff member
Christ, what old cartoon isn't going to get a comic revival eventually? Samurai Jack, Powerpuff Girls, Invader Zim (Not a JTHM sequel but still awesome), Dexter's Lab, sky is the damn limit!
I'll take some guesses...
COPS! Fighting crime in a future time!
Spiral Zone (though it could be a great story if retooled to be less kiddy-oriented)
Kidd Video
Let's Go Ghostbusters!
Camp Candy
Swat Kats
The Get-Along Gang
The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang
Laverne & Shirley in the Army
The Snorks
Police Academy
The Potato Head Kids
Rubik the Amazing Cube
Turbo Teen
The Wuzzles
Oh, and Pole Position (Sorry Keltzy).

I'd be willing to bet most, if not all, of the above will not see resurrection in comic form.

Also you and I have different definitions of what qualifies as an "old" cartoon.

Last edited:
I can not wait for a Swat Kats revival, YOU WERE SITTING ON A GOLD MINE TURNER! They had a jet, a car, a villain voiced by Frank Welker, that's toyline gold! "I don't like violence!" WELL WE SURE AS FUCK DID!

What about the gritty He-Man reboot?
Everything will be mud-colored, it'll be like the difference between 70's Batman and 90's Batman.

--Patrick

Of all the fashion trends I can't wait to be done, long hair with the sides of one's head shaved is definitely in the top 3.

Sorry-not-sorry, but it makes a person look like a toddler's doll, said toddler having gotten carried away playing "haircut."
Gas = totally not punk.

I would think what'd get you mad about that cover is the asymmetrical boots that don't make any sense.

figmentPez

Staff member
Sort of like the old rotating tease hologram they used to sell at the expensive gizmo stores in the mall back in the 90s.
A discussion on hologram toys a few weeks ago got me thinking about how there used to be stores in the mall that sold nothing but holograms. Holy shit were the 80's weird.

A discussion on hologram toys a few weeks ago got me thinking about how there used to be stores in the mall that sold nothing but holograms. Holy shit were the 80's weird.
There was a museum in SoHo, NY dedicated to having a really big gift shop displaying many of the holograms that were popular at the time. I was there for 6 months but never made a point to go in (probably because admission to the exhibit area was too expensive for my $130/wk salary to afford).

--Patrick

Sequart has released their latest documentary. This one on Dr. Fredric Wertham.

I haven't watched it yet, myself, but having watched two of their docs before (Grant Morrison, and the Image Revolution), I can say they put out good stuff.

Which is too bad because there are a couple of really solid stories going right now. Spider-Man and the X-Men is fantastic (better than the main SM book, Slott really needs to be moved off it), and Deadpool is still going strong.

Which is too bad because there are a couple of really solid stories going right now. Spider-Man and the X-Men is fantastic (better than the main SM book, Slott really needs to be moved off it), and Deadpool is still going strong.
I also have to add The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl as a title I hope doesn't end. It's still pretty new, but the writing (by Ryan North, best known for Dinosaur Comics) is really fun and top-notch.

I don't particularly care for that one, plus the art makes my face hurt.
I don't mind the art that much myself, even though certain characters do end up looking odd. I'm still in the midst of trying out some of Marvel's more recent fare, and I had heard good buzz on it.

Another title I've found to be good is Ms. Marvel.

The best part about a Deadpool comic is that he can exist outside of continuity and can actually make fun of the situations of a reboot.[DOUBLEPOST=1426179330,1426179169][/DOUBLEPOST]
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dc-comics-debuts-new-costumes-for-superman-wonder-woman

New costumes for Superman and Wonder Woman.

Judging by these visuals, Superman is part of Fight Club, now?

I actually like the new WW costume, but really, has DC run out of so many ideas that they're just going to rehash Superboy's outfit? I mean, it worked for him because he was a disaffected teenager.

This is like your dad getting a Beiber haircut to try to relate to you.

Wow. I especially love the bloody wraps on Sups fists... really screams Superman.
I know they're trying to make them kind of a stand in for the red in his cape, but making his fist wraps red makes him look like he just beat someone to death.

Well, that's probably what they're going for anyway, seeing as superman is all about the murder now. I don't know how many people followed the start of the New 52, but one of the first things Superman did murder Dr. Light under the influence of Pandora's Box. So, I guess DC just wants to see Superman become a murder because they think that will make him a "deeper character".

The best part about a Deadpool comic is that he can exist outside of continuity and can actually make fun of the situations of a reboot.[DOUBLEPOST=1426179330,1426179169][/DOUBLEPOST]
I actually like the new WW costume, but really, has DC run out of so many ideas that they're just going to rehash Superboy's outfit? I mean, it worked for him because he was a disaffected teenager.

This is like your dad getting a Beiber haircut to try to relate to you.
Yeah, I actually don't hate the Wonder Woman one. Have some issues with it, like the shoulder pads. And while I get what they were trying for with the stars up the, the one star just looks silly on her side like that.