Comic Book News

I just don't understand who or what the markete is for these huge cross-overs across 7 titles with 9 issues in each, and these horribly muddled universe shenanigans.
Honestly, I'm not really a comic book fan - I like reading them, rarely if ever buy any except exceptional one-offs, and even so mostly the European ones...But that said, if I was in the mood, say, in an airport, and thought "hey, it'd be cool to read a Superman story" (or find-replace Batman, Spiderman, whatever), the modern titles simply aren't interesting. You can't actually follow what the heck is going on. It seems to me they're just trying to get people who follow one or two series to buy bits of the others as well, to get "the whole story". That's fine for a one time crossover thingy, but...Not continuously. I honestly couldn't tell you the difference between the 5 different Spidermen out there, who or what they are, or why they all exist. having one "universe" Spiderman where there's also a bunch of others, one "more for kids" version, one "stand alone" Spiderman where it's just Spiderman in a "regular" world, that sort of thing I might understand - but if such is the case, honestly, they need to make it clearer. As far as I can see, it's all just one horrible gigantic mess where, if you're not already involved, it's incredibly hard to get in, to find an access point,... How is a random 12 year old supposed to start following this stuff? By torrenting the last 10 issues of the 10 titles involved? yeah, that's not what you want either.
Obviously you need some evolution, and continuity, or long term fans will stop and it'll all get stale. But there's other ways of doing that beyond making it more difficult than your average soap opera.

Sadly, the reason these "Events" keep happening is because people buy them as well as the crossover issues. They will complain that they have to do it to "Get the whole story" but will buy them nonetheless. This falls into the same category for me as Pre-ordering games, the companies will keep doing it as long as the public forks over their money for them,

GasBandit

Staff member
Sadly, the reason these "Events" keep happening is because people buy them as well as the crossover issues. They will complain that they have to do it to "Get the whole story" but will buy them nonetheless. This falls into the same category for me as Pre-ordering games, the companies will keep doing it as long as the public forks over their money for them,
To quote Bo Burnham, "We'll stop beating this dead horse when it stops spitting up money."

Holy shit, I wake up and suddenly hear that DC Comics is making some major changes.

For starters, MASSIVE cancellations of an assortment of titles: Green Lantern Corps, Star Spangled War Stories, Infinity Man And The Forever People, Secret Origins, Red Lanterns and Swamp Thing as well as the expected conclusion of Futures End and World’s End. Also Aquaman And The Others, Klarion and Trinity Of Sin. As well as Batwoman, World’s Finest, Arkham Manor.

Frankly speaking I think this is good. A lot of those were superfluous additions to already established titles - ESPECIALLY Green Lantern, which needed a massive clearance of titles. Or mercy killings like Batwoman, after the kerfuffle with JH Williams.

It also sounds like they're ending the New 52, or at the very least, its branding. They're going to diversify their line-up considerably and from the sounds of it, give creative teams on certain books more freedom. Unfortunately, it also sounds like the same superhero universe will remain the same, which is a bummer. So I'm still stuck without a Superman that I can enjoy in any medium.

Still, here's a list of the new books and creative teams announced so far:
-SUPERMAN, by Gene Luen Yang & John Romita Jr.
(which I'd be interested in because I love Yang's work, but it's still tied to the same universe and I don't like Romita's art)

-Bryan Hitch writing and drawing JUSTICE LEAGUE.
-Garth Ennis & John McCrea return to the Hitman universe with SECTION EIGHT.
(Whaaaat? Okay, I might read that.)

-Ming Doyle and Riley Rossmo on CONSTANTINE: THE HELLBLAZER.
-BLACK CANARY by Brenden Fletcher (same co-writer as the highly regarded new BATGIRL)
-STARFIRE, by Amanda Connor and Jimmi Palmotti, and are also doing HARLEY QUINN/POWER GIRL (plus, HARLEY QUINN'S solo series continues)
-BAT-MITE by Mark Russel and Ben Caldwell (6-issue mini-series)
-PREZ, no creative team announced yet.
-BIZARRO, by Heath Corson and Gustavo Duarte
-New BATMAN BEYOND, by Dan Jurgens and Bernard Chang.
-DOOMED and RED HOOD/ARSENAL, both written by Scott Lobdell
-WE ARE ROBIN, by Lee Berjemo, Rob Haynes, and Khary Randolph
-DR. FATE, by Paul Levitz and Sonny Liew
-ROBIN, SON OF BATMAN, by Patrick Gleason.
-JUSTICE LEAGUE 3001, by Keith Giffen & Howard Porter (replacing JL 3000, so same book, new name)
-EARTH 2: SOCIETY, replacing EARTH 2, by Daniel Wilson and Jorge Jiminez.
-MARTIAN MANHUNTER by writer Rob Williams and artists Ben Oliver and Paulo Siqueira
-MIDNIGHTER by writer Steve Orlando and artist ACO
-CYBORG by writer David L. Walker and artists Ivan Reis and Joe Prado
-OMEGA MEN by writer Tom King and artist Barnaby Bagenda
-MYSTIC U (tentative title) by writer Alisa Kwitney and artist Mauricet
-DARK UNIVERSE by writer James Tynion IV and artist Ming Doyle.
-GREEN LANTERN: LOST ARMY by Cullen Bunn, art by Jesus Saiz and Javi Pina.

So...wow. Yeah, big changes going on and some titles legitimately sound interesting. It really sounds like they're trying to diversify their chain of comics probably to compete with Image, who has slowly been taking over comics with a phenomenally diverse line of comics.

Bleeding Cool has an ongoing tag on any new updates:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/tag/juneminirelaunch/

And here's the article that breaks the news officially:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=59085

And here's a very good, comprehensive list so far:
http://talkingcomicbooks.com/2015/02/06/dc-comics-end-new-52-convergence-24-new-titles-due/[DOUBLEPOST=1423230587,1423230022][/DOUBLEPOST]Thing is, as diverse as they're trying to sell this as, they're all still superhero books when you boil it down.

Image Comics right now has a vastly diverse line. And we're still stuck with the same DC Universe that has more in common with early 90s Image comics. :(

Last edited:
Ok, so I just listened to a podcast where they mentioned that it seems like Joker's being billed as some mystical super regenerating immortal being.

The fuck?

fade

Staff member
Ok, so I just listened to a podcast where they mentioned that it seems like Joker's being billed as some mystical super regenerating immortal being.

The fuck?
It's been hinted in the past that he may have some regenerative ability--I don't recall where, but it's been there before. He keeps escaping from these deadly catastrophes, which I just chalked up to drama. I recall it used to even be on the Joker Wikipedia page.

Plus with the legion of victims he's killed who'd logically want to and try to kill him, it kinda makes sense that there's some supernatural force keeping him alive.

The kind of undermines the character though... Batman too. The whole appeal of The Joker is that, despite the fact that he has zero powers, he's still (by far) the most dangerous man on the planet because of his ability to plan and prepare and to his ability to improvise on the spot. The only reason he's not as dangerous as guys like Darksied is because he doesn't have a god damn planet backing his schemes.

Making his survival tied to a power just makes everything he does far less impressive.

The kind of undermines the character though... Batman too. The whole appeal of The Joker is that, despite the fact that he has zero powers, he's still (by far) the most dangerous man on the planet because of his ability to plan and prepare and to his ability to improvise on the spot. The only reason he's not as dangerous as guys like Darksied is because he doesn't have a god damn planet backing his schemes.

Making his survival tied to a power just makes everything he does far less impressive.
Bingo. Joker's draw is the same as Batman: he's just a regular guy. One of the most dangerous, terrifying guys on the planet, but still just a regular guy. Giving him powers nullifies some of that.

Bingo. Joker's draw is the same as Batman: he's just a regular guy. One of the most dangerous, terrifying guys on the planet, but still just a regular guy. Giving him powers nullifies some of that.
It's not even that you can't do a good story with the Joker having powers. The Mask/Joker one shot was pretty great and the Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode where he got Batmite's powers was a lot of fun. But these were one shots. The Joker doesn't need powers to scare a city into submission. Just give him a sniper rifle and a vantage point... or poison and access to a major food company's production line... or even just a boutonniere and the wherewithal to walk the streets for a few nights.

He can literally walk into a room and cause mass panic. What do regenerative powers add to him, as a character?

Yeah, screw the Joker having powers. His only power is that he's so beyond logic and reason that he pretty much embodies chaos, but with a terrifying intelligence underlying it all. Joker is every bit as smart as Batman.

Also, even though DC has gone the route of "canon... LOL", there was a time where Joker needed to be revived using a Lazarus Pit, which he wouldn't have needed if he had crazy regenerative abilities.

I remember the one time it was interesting for Joker to have powers when he stole Mr. Mxylplyk's abilities and basically built a universe where he gets to kill and revive Batman whenever he wants. Something like that. I remember it being a pretty good read, all in all.

I remember the one time it was interesting for Joker to have powers when he stole Mr. Mxylplyk's abilities and basically built a universe where he gets to kill and revive Batman whenever he wants. Something like that. I remember it being a pretty good read, all in all.
I want to say that was the Emperor Joker storyline.

I want to say that was the Emperor Joker storyline.
Yep, that was the Emperor Joker storyline. Joker managed to trick Mr. Mxyzptlk into revealing his secret imp name and got 99% of Mxy's power, rather than the 1% that he was intending to transfer to Joker.

GasBandit

Staff member
What.

Coming in march:

Of all the fashion trends I can't wait to be done, long hair with the sides of one's head shaved is definitely in the top 3.

Sorry-not-sorry, but it makes a person look like a toddler's doll, said toddler having gotten carried away playing "haircut."

What.

Coming in march:

Of all the fashion trends I can't wait to be done, long hair with the sides of one's head shaved is definitely in the top 3.

Sorry-not-sorry, but it makes a person look like a toddler's doll, said toddler having gotten carried away playing "haircut."
So...you're saying the hair is outrageous? Truly, truly outrageous?

Shaving the sides of your head and keeping part of it long is a long standing punk style that's only recently become mainstream. As someone who's always dug it, I'm actually kind of happy more people are trying it out.