Comic Book News

figmentPez

Staff member
Honestly? If we got some kind of OH GOD HE'S BACK arc and Supes was scared as fuck to face Doomsday, I'd read the hell out of it.
They did that, a little. It was called Superman/Doomsday Hunter/Prey. It featured Clark having nightmares about Doomsday coming back. Of being a child again, going down the dark stairs into the cellar, and being terrified, only to find that Doomsday is the monster lurking in the dark. So Clark heads out to try to track down Doomsday's corpse (which has already come back to life.) It wasn't a very good story. The worst part was Doomsday's origin, which is just... dammit, evolution does not work that way. You cannot clone the cells of something that's been killed and have the clone be stronger.

They did that, a little. It was called Superman/Doomsday Hunter/Prey. It featured Clark having nightmares about Doomsday coming back. Of being a child again, going down the dark stairs into the cellar, and being terrified, only to find that Doomsday is the monster lurking in the dark. So Clark heads out to try to track down Doomsday's corpse (which has already come back to life.) It wasn't a very good story. The worst part was Doomsday's origin, which is just... dammit, evolution does not work that way. You cannot clone the cells of something that's been killed and have the clone be stronger.
Unless it's a saiyan.

I remember reading that.

--Patrick

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/5187607.html

Daredevil got a new costume this week in his own comic. As a huge fan of Daredevil, I was ready to hate this but dammit all if Mark Waid doesn't make it work. It's completely in line with the character and story that he's been telling during this run.
Somehow I misread that as Deadpool got a new costume. He would probably wearing a suit like that with a fixed face. As for Matt Murdock, now he really looks like a daring devil.

There's also a cover that's been floating around, let me see if I can find it...

So it looks like we might get that whole OMD shit undone at last with whatever happens in Secret Wars. Maybe Peter will finally retire for awhile, let Miles handle things.

There's also a cover that's been floating around, let me see if I can find it...

So it looks like we might get that whole OMD shit undone at last with whatever happens in Secret Wars. Maybe Peter will finally retire for awhile, let Miles handle things.
Yeah, unfortunately, Slott is still writing this.

Yeah, unfortunately, Slott is still writing this.
I think one of the two big things that bothers me about this is with all the writer rotations there have been and will be with SW coming up, Slott is still stuck like fucking glue to Spider-Man (the other thing being his special snowflake character Silk). Everything up to Superior was pretty good, I'll give him that, but the man needs to be pulled off the book so we can get some fresh blood in there.

It's not REALLY going to be undone until they can come up with a justifiable reason for WHY Spider-man would have made the deal to begin with (hint: there isn't one) or admit that the deal was the single, dumbest thing that anyone could have done in that situation. I'm with Linkara on this one: it was such an out of character moment for Spidey that the sheer idiocy of the event needs to be addressed and rebuked before it can ever be undone.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone over at Marvel is going to be willing to shit over Joe Quesada that degree... which is a shame, because he frankly deserves it.

It's not REALLY going to be undone until they can come up with a justifiable reason for WHY Spider-man would have made the deal to begin with (hint: there isn't one) or admit that the deal was the single, dumbest thing that anyone could have done in that situation. I'm with Linkara on this one: it was such an out of character moment for Spidey that the sheer idiocy of the event needs to be addressed and rebuked before it can ever be undone.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone over at Marvel is going to be willing to shit over Joe Quesada that degree... which is a shame, because he frankly deserves it.
In-universe (or in Slott's mind) nobody seems to know how the fuck Spidey acts anyway because NOBODY noticed he was talking, acting and doing all that Saturday-Morning-Villain shit for goddamn months. The Avengers were sated with Ock's fake indignation at getting his mind read, and in Spider-Man and the X-Men every mutant seems to already think he's the worst person on the planet (even though Wolverine vouched for him constantly until he died).

Parker Luck is one thing, but Slott just lets everyone in-universe shit all over Peter while SpOck could do no wrong. Then he introduced Silk, who was Spider-Man, but all her powers worked better.

It's just sad to see one of the more genuine humans in Marvel get written like he has been lately, while there's so many better writers out there who could make SM something really special again.

Being told by a telepath or not, I'm sorry, but a character being told they're gay by someone else? That's just bad form, in my opinion.

Being told by a telepath or not, I'm sorry, but a character being told they're gay by someone else? That's just bad form, in my opinion.
2 things stop this from being too bad for me.

1) Jean doesn't tell him "you're gay" so much as "I know you know you're gay".
2) She at least has the decency to take him aside for a private conversation rather than blurting it out in front of their teammates forcibly outing him in the process.

Which brings up another problem, is young!Bobby going to come out after this (and why run the storyline if he's not?), which will basically involve outing old!Bobby against his will. "Bad form" doesn't begin to cover that. OTOH young!Bobby being forced to stay in the closet to let old!Bobby stay in there seems even worse.

Unless Marvel are actually going to try and claim that even though he younger version of a character is gay, the older version is still straight as an arrow? That's not how sexuality works!

Zappit

Staff member
But then, suddenly...Beast never pulled the young X-Men from his own past, but actually pulled them from an alternate dimension, which in fact spared them from destruction when the young X-Men's universe was destroyed by the Convergence, or whatever the hell the universe-ending thing is called. And in that now nonexistent universe, Bobby was, in fact, gay, which totally explains why adult Bobby is straight! I'm calling it now. Marvel invents an entire universe and kills it, all to explain away that plot hole.

I haven't read X-men since AvX, so I don't have any clue what's going on with the time travelling X-men other than the original issue where Beast brings them forward in time.
I do have to state that they have actually hinted at Bobby being gay in the past a couple of times, so this wouldn't be totally out of left field. Emma Frost very vaguely hinted at it when she inhabited his body.
There was also a storyline during the period of time around the "Riot at Xavier's" arc where Northstar develops a crush on Iceman and he actually questions his own sexuality a bit.

I haven't read X-men since AvX, so I don't have any clue what's going on with the time travelling X-men other than the original issue where Beast brings them forward in time.
I do have to state that they have actually hinted at Bobby being gay in the past a couple of times, so this wouldn't be totally out of left field. Emma Frost very vaguely hinted at it when she inhabited his body.
There was also a storyline during the period of time around the "Riot at Xavier's" arc where Northstar develops a crush on Iceman and he actually questions his own sexuality a bit.
Beast for some reason, along with basically every X-Man save for (the now dead) Wolverine, is a total twat. This was before the temporary personality-swap thing in Axis. He brings the young X-Men team to the present and things basically spiral out of control. The best thing to come of all this nonsense was young Cyclops' now-complete solo series where he ended up on his dad's starship traveling the cosmos.

younger version of a character is gay, the older version is still straight as an arrow? That's not how sexuality works!
Number of people I know who've self-identified as gay/lesbian in youth, had some long-term homosexual relationships, later had heterosexual relations and now self-identify as either straight or bisexual: hmmm....Well, easily 8. Probably more if I think a bit further. Y'know, Kinsey-scale and all that. Considering yourself either straight or gay and ending up having feelings for someone of the "other" sex after all isn't all that weird or uncommon. "straight as an arrow", no, but, for different cultural reasons, still in the closet and/or less inclined to give in to homosexual feelings, push them away, etc? That's pretty much exactly how sexuality works IRL instead of on TV/comics.

But then, suddenly...Beast never pulled the young X-Men from his own past, but actually pulled them from an alternate dimension, which in fact spared them from destruction when the young X-Men's universe was destroyed by the Convergence, or whatever the hell the universe-ending thing is called. And in that now nonexistent universe, Bobby was, in fact, gay, which totally explains why adult Bobby is straight! I'm calling it now. Marvel invents an entire universe and kills it, all to explain away that plot hole.
Actually, by the way time travel has always worked in the MU the fact that they pulled the out of the past would create an alternate timeline if any changes, no matter how small, happen. Unless they have a doomlock i guess...

That's pretty much exactly how sexuality works IRL instead of on TV/comics.
Yeah, IRL people lie about it (even to themselves) all the time...