Comic Book News

So Marvel has decided they need to redesign Jessica Drew/ Spider-Woman's costume. Fair enough, she basically hasn't changed since the 1970's. Kris Anka's tumblr has had some shots, and there's an article here:

http://www.themarysue.com/spider-woman-looks-rad-as-eff/

To be honest, I disagree with their assessment. I think the new costume is kind of forgettable. I liked the Batgirl redesign, but Batgirl and Spider-Woman are on two completely different levels. Batgirl is a normal human with extensive martial arts, gymnastics, and crime-fighting training, so having a practical outfit for rough and tumble activity and motorcycle riding makes perfect sense. Generally she tangles with street thugs and organized crime henchmen. Spider-Woman has superhuman strength, speed, and agility, heightened senses, powerful pheromones, she can fly (or at least glide, depending on the writer), is immune to all poisons and radiation, and, oh yeah, can shoot bioelectric lightning from her hands. Now, the excuse is that since Jessica Drew is a Private Investigator in her civilian life, she can't just go around in red spandex on the street. Yes, okay, that's a given. But I don't see how having her costume be basically street clothes is an improvement. It loses the sense of being a powerful iconic heroine. She looks more like a sidekick. And I guess that's intentional:
Series writer Dennis Hopeless also noted that the series will now see Jessica Drew avoiding the more fantastical galactic elements of the Marvel Universe in favor of regular ol’ detective work: “You’ve seen her as a superspy and Avenger and soldier. Now let’s see this person as an old-school hero.”
What was wrong with her being a superspy, Avenger, and soldier? Is beating up muggers somehow more interesting than dealing with outlandish cosmic-level threats, or killer robots, or high-tech megalomaniacs? I don't think it's the right direction to go. It's too DC.

Honestly? I think this costume suits her character more than the original ever did.

But then, I've never been a big fan of the character either way, so it doesn't bug me much at all.

I don't see how beating up muggers and avoiding the more outlandish and cosmic level threats is a DC thing. Marvel has had the Avengers do just that for nearly a decade now.

...okay I'm not the only one who thinks she looks almost exactly like Asami from Legend of Korra with that get-up right? Not saying I'm complaining , just I never thought the next redesign would remind me of an Avatar character.

GasBandit

Staff member
Err, aside from both having tight pants and shoulder-length black hair, I don't see much of a resemblance. Wonder Woman's belt doesn't droop, Spider Woman isn't wearing heels and has spats instead of... I dunno, anklets? Spider woman doesn't bare cleavage, and her jacket is double breasted and actually is shown buttoned up. Also shades vs tiara?

figmentPez

Staff member
Err, aside from both having tight pants and shoulder-length black hair, I don't see much of a resemblance. Wonder Woman's belt doesn't droop, Spider Woman isn't wearing heels and has spats instead of... I dunno, anklets? Spider woman doesn't bare cleavage, and her jacket is double breasted and actually is shown buttoned up. Also shades vs tiara?
Same basic color pattern. Dark blue arms and legs, red chest, gold insignia. The belt may not droop, but the lasso hanging off it provides a similar angle, overall. It's not exactly the same, but it's so close that if it were a parody character it could be recognizable (that is, if this were the iconic version of WW's costume)

My only problem with Spider-Woman has always been that her name makes no goddamn sense to me. She flies around shooting energy bolts from her hands, that's not very spidery.

GasBandit

Staff member
Same basic color pattern. Dark blue arms and legs, red chest, gold insignia. The belt may not droop, but the lasso hanging off it provides a similar angle, overall. It's not exactly the same, but it's so close that if it were a parody character it could be recognizable (that is, if this were the iconic version of WW's costume)
.... dark blue? That looks just plain old black to me.

Really, I think the only similaities, as I said, come from the hairstyle, the tight pants, and the sleeve color being different from the torso.

GasBandit

Staff member
Are there any notable female super geniuses in comics?
Depends on your definition of supergenius. There's lots of very smart women, such as Oracle or Moira MacTaggert (Oxford doesn't churn out many dumb geneticists)... but I'd have to thinking longer and harder before I come up with a female Reed Richards.

Except... didn't he have a supergenius daughter?

Depends on your definition of supergenius. There's lots of very smart women, such as Oracle or Moira MacTaggert (Oxford doesn't churn out many dumb geneticists)... but I'd have to thinking longer and harder before I come up with a female Reed Richards.

Except... didn't he have a supergenius daughter?
Yep. Valeria Richards is her name.

figmentPez

Staff member
Are there any notable female super geniuses in comics?
Apparently not. You have to get to #23 on Comic Vine's list of Smartest Comic Characters before you get a female character, and the most notable female in the Marvel Database's list of characters with Super-Genius Intelligence is Valeria Richards (only notable for her parents).

Barbara Gordon, as Oracle, is really smart, but I'm not sure I've seen her intelligence played up as being much greater than those around her. But maybe that's just because she's in the shadow of the Bat.

GasBandit

Staff member
I suppose it's also telling that the only superintelligent female villain who immediately sprang to mind at the question was DNAmy, and I disqualified her because, to my knowledge, there was never an official Kim Possible comic.

There's that one doctor from Iron Man who fixed Tony Stark in Extremis. I mean, she was smarter than he was.

There definitely aren't that many and I can't even remember her name.

Modern Marvel writers have a very crummy understanding of intelligence. For what it's worth Sue Richards has a Ph.D. retconned out of no where to her because otherwise it would make no sense for Reed Richards to be even interested in her. I wish to God I was making that up, and it wasn't the explanation given by Marvel.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, comic books don't seem to have much of a field for female super-geniuses.

What about anime and manga? Surely, there's got to be a reasonable group there?
Well, there was Nina, in Code Geass, who was that universe's Werner Von Braun and developed the Freija (I WON'T PRONOUNCE IT FLEIJA THAT'S WRONG AND RETARDED) warhead. Of course, she was an emotional powderkeg who ended up little more than a pawn to be used by one side or another the entire run of the series.

If we're including supervillains, there is Monica Rappaccini, a.k.a AIM's Scientist Supreme. The quality of the character is a bit dependent on who is writing her, though.

Sage from X-men, though the fact that I needed to go through 4 pages of wiki pages to remember she exists that says a lot.

As for manga and Japanimation, there's Sailor Mercury(fun fact, originally meant to be a cyborg), Bulma from Dragon Ball, and the awesome crossbow lady from Soul Eater just to name a few.

Fairchild from Gen13 was supposed to have a pretty high I.Q. She was a comp-sci at Princeton when she was gen-activated and, depending on her writer, stayed interested in science and research.

GasBandit

Staff member
Like I said, it depends on what the threshold for "super genius" is. Is it enough to just be smarter than your immediate peer group? Do you need to be a postdoc? Do you have to have created something with world-changing consequences, like new technology, functional sentient AI, or a doomsday weapon? Does your intelligence have to be in a purely scientific field, or can brilliant military commanders also qualify as "super geniuses?"

Also, I want you to sound out "super genius" every time like Wile E. Coyote does in that Looney Tunes short where Bugs Bunny stands in for the Road Runner. SOO-PER GEEEENyus.

Yeah, I'm honestly drawing a blank. There are some smart cookies, like Oracle or Talia al Ghul. But I wouldn't call either of them genius on the Reed Richards scale.[DOUBLEPOST=1420499529,1420498974][/DOUBLEPOST]I threw the question at Kurt Busiek and Gail Simone. Kurt got back to me pretty quick. Some he provided:

-Dr. Cyber (Wonder Woman villain)
-Jenette Klyburn at STAR Labs
-And "Astro City has had at least three female robotics geniuses. One derailed, one evil, one damaged but sweet."

figmentPez

Staff member
Like I said, it depends on what the threshold for "super genius" is. Is it enough to just be smarter than your immediate peer group? Do you need to be a postdoc? Do you have to have created something with world-changing consequences, like new technology, functional sentient AI, or a doomsday weapon? Does your intelligence have to be in a purely scientific field, or can brilliant military commanders also qualify as "super geniuses?"
Which is a good question. I suddenly thought to wonder why Monet St. Croix wasn't on the list of Marvel super geniuses, but she's just a garden variety genius, and not a super genius.

Image Expo is going on right now and like last year, my wallet is already pleading "no more!" as Image announces more creator owned books that will be amazing.

Darwyn Cooke's first creator-owned series, Revengeance:

Marjorie Liu & Sana Takeda's Monstress

Scott Snyder & Jeff Lemire (holy shit, now THERE'S a team-up!) present A.D.: After Death, dealing with what happens after death is cured.

Alex De Campi & Carla Speed McNeil's No Mercy:

Eric Canete & Jonathan Tsuei's RunLoveKill:

Scottie Young's I Hate Fairyland (which looks deliciously twisted):

Bryan K. Vaughan & Cliff Chiang's Paper Girls:

EDIT: Adding a few more.

Chip Zdarsky (from Sex Criminals) and Kagan McLeod's Kaptara:

I don't even know if more will be announced. I sure hope not. My poor wallet can't take even more great books from Image. They've already got me hook, line, and sinker with Elephantmen, Walking Dead, Invincible, Saga, Fatale, Velvet, Chew, and lord knows what else I'm missing.[DOUBLEPOST=1420761875,1420761384][/DOUBLEPOST]http://comicsalliance.com/image-expo-2015-announcements/

Jesus, my list only scratched the surface. SO MANY GREAT BOOKS.

I dunno where to put this so I'll just toss it here, apparently DC and CW are doing a Vixen animated series that takes places in the same universe as Arrow and Flash. Here's the promo art.