Comic Book News

Marvel's kind of confusing right now, with the AXIS event just starting up (Red Skull stole Xavier's brain, Magneto smashes his head in, and the resulting psychic release turns Skull into Onslaught, no I'm not making this crap up), and most major name comics suddenly jumping multiple months into the future (another event, Time Runs Out, fills the gap but doesn't start for another month or so I think).

It's all kind of a mess, and on top of AXIS/Time, Spider-Man's got an event coming up too. Marvel was doing pretty well for awhile there but I really don't know how I feel about the current direction of things. There's a lot of stupid characterizations out there, and a new character or two that're just sort of boring/dumb.

I wish they'd just cut out events altogether. Their best books (Hawkeye. Daredevil, Ms Marvel, etc) are all crossover free. It's part of why they're great.

Last edited:
For the same reason Marvel has decreed no more new mutant characters. They're not interested in anything they don't have complete control over.

It honestly depends on if this supposed Spider-man deal goes through... the offer apparently goes:

- Sony retains the film rights to Spider-man and to make solo movies
- Disney/Marvel gets the rights to have Spider-man appear in Marvel films as a side character. This is primarily so they can stick him in the Avengers.
- For this, Sony is allowed access to the Marvel movie canon and it's future Spider-man movies will have continuity with Marvel movies. Another option is Marvel/Disney actually makes the movies and Sony gets a percentage.

This seems win-win for Sony. They get to make money on Spider-man because suddenly EVERYONE has to see it to see how it ties into the rest of the movies.

If this deal works, I could see Fox being given a similar deal for X-Men and the Fantastic 4.

It honestly depends on if this supposed Spider-man deal goes through... the offer apparently goes:

- Sony retains the film rights to Spider-man and to make solo movies
- Disney/Marvel gets the rights to have Spider-man appear in Marvel films as a side character. This is primarily so they can stick him in the Avengers.
- For this, Sony is allowed access to the Marvel movie canon and it's future Spider-man movies will have continuity with Marvel movies. Another option is Marvel/Disney actually makes the movies and Sony gets a percentage.

This seems win-win for Sony. They get to make money on Spider-man because suddenly EVERYONE has to see it to see how it ties into the rest of the movies.

If this deal works, I could see Fox being given a similar deal for X-Men and the Fantastic 4.
Well, Marvel has WAY more stake in the rights to Spider-Man. I think they still have fantastic merchandising rights there. The Fox X-Men deal is more weighted in Fox's favour. They have more reason to work with Sony.

Well, Marvel has WAY more stake in the rights to Spider-Man. I think they still have fantastic merchandising rights there. The Fox X-Men deal is more weighted in Fox's favour. They have more reason to work with Sony.
It honestly depends on how well the next few X-men movies are. First Class was decent and so was Days. But eventually all they are going to have left is Savage Lands and space stuff and I don't think Fox can pull those off with the current executives in charge.

I don't think that type of deal will be offered to Fantastic Four. Marvel wants that back, and are actively working to give less promotion to the movie. Too many "cross-over" villains with Avengers and they would like those to be back under their control.

I don't think that type of deal will be offered to Fantastic Four. Marvel wants that back, and are actively working to give less promotion to the movie. Too many "cross-over" villains with Avengers and they would like those to be back under their control.
That IS going to be an issue. Ultron and Thanos are awesome, but Dr. Doom leading a team of his own against them is definitive to the comics.

Exactly. The rights issues regarding Fox and Fantastic Four are also why we got the Sakaarans in Guardians of the Galaxy instead of the Badoon.
I didn't even realize that they were supposed to be Sakaarans. But it does make sense. They look sufficiently buggy.[DOUBLEPOST=1413076865,1413076674][/DOUBLEPOST]Besides, the Badoon are too badass to be foot soldiers for the Kree. In the original GotG timeline, they had conquered most the galaxy.

On a total tangent, I recently re-read Planet Hulk and WWH...

Man, I forgot to hate Meik during the former by not remembeing that he was the cause of the latter.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10...nd-disney-for-not-going-to-the-supreme-court/

The settlement between Jack Kirby's estate and Marvel sounds like it might be around 8 figures. Some are guessing between $30 and $50 million.

Additionally, "the deal ensures that Jack Kirby will receive full named credit on upcoming movies based, or partly based, on his work."

That last bit makes me particularly happy. It breaks my heart that Stan Lee is a household name, while Kirby is generally only known within the comic book business.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10...nd-disney-for-not-going-to-the-supreme-court/

The settlement between Jack Kirby's estate and Marvel sounds like it might be around 8 figures. Some are guessing between $30 and $50 million.

Additionally, "the deal ensures that Jack Kirby will receive full named credit on upcoming movies based, or partly based, on his work."

That last bit makes me particularly happy. It breaks my heart that Stan Lee is a household name, while Kirby is generally only known within the comic book business.
Yup, already happened with this season of Agents of SHIELD. Jack gets creator credit right next to Stan Lee. It's about effing time too.

Is it just me, or does Marvel seem to be on a slight kick of bringing back old events? We've had Red Skull becoming a new Onslaught, they've announced a new Secret Wars event, and now we have whatever this new Civil War thing will be.

Wouldn't be the first time. Secret War in particular has been returned to no less than 3 times already. How many not very good Infinity storylines followed after the success of the first one?

You do raise a point. I guess they're just in one of those phases where they really milk the old events.

...I still can't believe they brought back Onslaught.

This is actually the second time they did. They did an Onslaught Reborn storyline sometime in the early 2000s, I think it was.

Is it just me, or does Marvel seem to be on a slight kick of bringing back old events? We've had Red Skull becoming a new Onslaught, they've announced a new Secret Wars event, and now we have whatever this new Civil War thing will be.
IO9 was suggesting (and I don't think they're wrong) that part of it is putting these events in mind while updating the contexts to be more friendly to the MCU.

...And now Marvel is doing new Planet Hulk and Armor Wars stories.

I read a theory recently over at SuperHeroHype as to what may be happening. With the upcoming new Secret Wars story, it seems like some of the participants of it will be sent to experience different points in time. Thus far, based on teaser images, it seems to be the following participants and stories:

• Ultron (Age of Ultron/Marvel Zombies)
  • Spider-Man (Civil War)
  • Kitty Pryde (Days of Future Past)
  • Steve Rogers (Planet Hulk)
  • Tony Stark (Armor Wars)

Last edited:
...And now Marvel is doing new Planet Hulk and Armor Wars stories.

I read a theory recently over at SuperHeroHype as to what may be happening. With the upcoming new Secret Wars story, it seems like some of the participants of it will be sent to experience different points in time. Thus far, based on teaser images, it seems to be the following participants and stories:

• Ultron (Age of Ultron/Marvel Zombies)
  • Spider-Man (Civil War)
  • Kitty Pryde (Days of Future Past)
  • Steve Rogers (Planet Hulk)
  • Tony Stark (Armor Wars)
Gee, I wonder why the comics would be revisiting Age of Ultron. :p