Comic Book News

At SDCC Killing Joke panel when a fan questioned all this new fuckery with Batgirl, co-writer Brian Azzarello called him a "pussy".

I didn't know Azzarello was a co-writer and now it all makes sense. He couldn't continue fucking up Wonder Woman with the "Amazons are rapists and murders" and Zeus-fathers, so he finds a way to make The Killing Joke worse. Bravo, asshole.
Ugh. I used to LIKE his work, too. At least early 100 Bullets, anyway.

The latest Humble Bundle Book Bundle is a massive 30th anniversary for Dark Horse Comics.

I've only read a tiny percentage of the offerings (like The Goon, The Massive, and Kurt Busiek's Conan), but the rest looks like some good stuff, too.

Has anyone ever bought any comics bundles before? I'm curious to see how one reads them once you bought the bundle. I've only ever bought game bundles that you redeem through Steam, so I didn't know how these worked. Because I'm rather tempted by it.

EDIT: And found out you can download them as PDF, ePub, and CBZs files. Wow, lots of options.

Civil War II faces delays and extension.

Delay one, because excellent artist David Marquez has a new baby in the house, so that's cool. However, other problems are writing delays and an additional issue because Bendis thought up a better ending, so he says. I can't help but wonder if he's changing what he originally meant to do because G Willow Wilson might've accidentally spoiled it on Twitter. Either way, I'm not sure what this means for other books or how it affects Marvel Now. Probably not much, considering Marvel went forward with stuff despite Secret Wars delays, though at least Secret Wars had the merit of being a good story. Civil War II only has its art.

Maybe, Marvel, trying to have big events each year is too much a strain on your resources as well as your fans, and you should let creators create for a little while.

Image Comics' Invincible to end with #144.

Well this is kind of sad news for me. I've loved Invincible since the beginning. Can't believe it's been 13 years. But everything eventually must end and 13 years is a hell of a run for a comic. Especially since it, along with Walking Dead, put Robert Kirkman on the map.
I'm kind of surprised they haven't done a movie yet, especially with The Walking Dead being the media darling it is.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't done a movie yet, especially with The Walking Dead being the media darling it is.
They've tried a few times. I think there was a screenplay being written at one point.[DOUBLEPOST=1471455286,1471455204][/DOUBLEPOST]
Image Comics' Invincible to end with #144.

Well this is kind of sad news for me. I've loved Invincible since the beginning. Can't believe it's been 13 years. But everything eventually must end and 13 years is a hell of a run for a comic. Especially since it, along with Walking Dead, put Robert Kirkman on the map.
I think it's fair to say that if it wasn't for Invincible, Walking Dead wouldn't have lasted long enough to get the TV deal.

I think it's fair to say that if it wasn't for Invincible, Walking Dead wouldn't have lasted long enough to get the TV deal.
I actually feel the opposite; I know a lot of horror fans who were waiting with bated breath for The Walking Dead on tv and were avid readers of the comic, but few of them had heard of Invincible beyond "It's that other thing Kirkman does, right?". I think there wasn't a lot of crossover between the audiences of the two books until The Walking Dead hit it big, so each side felt smaller to the other.

I actually feel the opposite; I know a lot of horror fans who were waiting with bated breath for The Walking Dead on tv and were avid readers of the comic, but few of them had heard of Invincible beyond "It's that other thing Kirkman does, right?". I think there wasn't a lot of crossover between the audiences of the two books until The Walking Dead hit it big, so each side felt smaller to the other.
I stand corrected. Most my knowledge on this was anecdotal. Sales data over time is annoying to find, but just dancing around shows Walking dead selling a few thousand more copies a month than Invincible, with the trades tending to stay on the sales charts.

Two $10 DC big books coming out in December:

DC Rebirth Holiday Special including various short holiday stories such as Batwoman's Hanukah Crisis and a case for Detective Chimp.

Then

Love is Love, a fundraiser comic collaboration between DC and IDW for the families of victims in the Orlando nightclub shooting, 144 pages of 1-2 page comics/stories.

There's a horrible irony in using Batwoman for the cover since DC's editorial not only stopped her creative team from marrying her off, but forcing said team to leave the book when they tried to stand their ground.

There's a horrible irony in using Batwoman for the cover since DC's editorial not only stopped her creative team from marrying her off, but forcing said team to leave the book when they tried to stand their ground.
That wasn't over her being gay though, it was because one of the rules of New 52 was that none of the heroes were allowed to have happy personal lives, including marriage. Which is still really stupid and shows just how wrong-headed things were with the New 52.

Maybe in Rebirth she and Maggie Sawyer things can be made right, as they have Aquaman and Mera, and Black Canary with Green Arrow. (And hopefully Wally and Linda by the end of the first Titans arc.)

That wasn't over her being gay though, it was because one of the rules of New 52 was that none of the heroes were allowed to have happy personal lives, including marriage. Which is still really stupid and shows just how wrong-headed things were with the New 52.

Maybe in Rebirth she and Maggie Sawyer things can be made right, as they have Aquaman and Mera, and Black Canary with Green Arrow. (And hopefully Wally and Linda by the end of the first Titans arc.)
That didn't apply to Animal Man at the time, apparently, who managed to keep his wife and kids in the reboot (cripes, that makes the reboot sound like a bad divorce).

But she was still their largest - and probably STILL their largest - LGBT character whose marriage DC mixed. It was a boneheaded move, especially for the timing of it when gay marriage was still not legalized across the country.

I should say that I love the idea of the book. It's just the treatment of the character and the creative team at the time that still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

That didn't apply to Animal Man at the time, apparently, who managed to keep his wife and kids in the reboot (cripes, that makes the reboot sound like a bad divorce).

But she was still their largest - and probably STILL their largest - LGBT character whose marriage DC mixed. It was a boneheaded move, especially for the timing of it when gay marriage was still not legalized across the country.

I should say that I love the idea of the book. It's just the treatment of the character and the creative team at the time that still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
You know Animal Man doesn't count, Animal man NEVER counts, he's the one DC supehero who after having his entire family be murdered got his writer to bring them back to life!

I agree it was an incredibly stupid editorial decision. At least Kate and Maggie have gotten to be together in the Bombshells series.

Really fighting myself over whether to get Amazing Spider-man: Renew Your Vows in November. It's not Slott, I've learned, so my hopes have gone up, but it's also only a matter of time before it gets sucked into some garbage crossover.

Really fighting myself over whether to get Amazing Spider-man: Renew Your Vows in November. It's not Slott, I've learned, so my hopes have gone up, but it's also only a matter of time before it gets sucked into some garbage crossover.
Yeah it's Spider-Man, so he'll get his mitts on it eventually I'm sure.

Man, I've been collecting Big Time....and I like Slott.

Yeah it's Spider-Man, so he'll get his mitts on it eventually I'm sure.
Probably, especially since it's continuing off his Secret Wars mini's continuity. I guess I should just stick with my post-Clone Saga status of avoiding all things Spider-man, except when he shows up in someone else's book and gets to be fun.

Possibly good news: America Chavez is getting an ongoing in 2017. I say possibly because while I'm happy for her to finally get this attention, the creative team hasn't been announced and someone with her abilities needs a writer of imagination and cosmic scope who can also do the personal side really well. America can punch her way between parallel universes as easily as normal people step through a door, has seen universes undone, and even traveled outside of reality (albeit briefly), so I'd really like a solo series for her to take advantage of this in a big way.

Definitely good news: Super Sons, the team-up book for the sons of Batman and Superman, will be written by Peter Tomasi, the current writer for Superman, so I'm excited to read it. Scheduled to start February.

I always liked Generation X, so I may have to check that out. I really hope they don't move the X-Men into a separate reality, though. Just let the comics be comics. And if they ever get the rights back, they'd have to fix it all over again.