Comic Book News

figmentPez

Staff member
2 things stop this from being too bad for me.

1) Jean doesn't tell him "you're gay" so much as "I know you know you're gay".
2) She at least has the decency to take him aside for a private conversation rather than blurting it out in front of their teammates forcibly outing him in the process.

Which brings up another problem, is young!Bobby going to come out after this (and why run the storyline if he's not?), which will basically involve outing old!Bobby against his will. "Bad form" doesn't begin to cover that. OTOH young!Bobby being forced to stay in the closet to let old!Bobby stay in there seems even worse.

Unless Marvel are actually going to try and claim that even though he younger version of a character is gay, the older version is still straight as an arrow? That's not how sexuality works!
All this brings up the question,why not have him be bisexual? Why "full gay" as Jean so crudely puts it? Let him be bi, or even pan, and he could still have a strong preference for men that he's been hiding all this time, but it would still allow his established relationships with women to be real and honest.

Well, yeah, like I said, haven't read. If the writers make one 'full gay' (whatever that is?) and one 'straight as an arrow', that's just dumb.

So Frank Miller is working on "Dark Knight III: The Master Race"

All I can think is "train wreck full of whores"

UUUUUUUUUUUUGH, will he just let that series DIE?! "Dark Knight 2" was dumb enough.
Because somewhere in his festering brain, Frank Miller is thinking, "They're using my comics for a summer blockbuster! The world is crying out for more whoreswhoreswhoreswhoreswhores dark drama!"

EDIT: I can't ever think about Frank Miller anymore without thinking of this:

Because somewhere in his festering brain, Frank Miller is thinking, "They're using my comics for a summer blockbuster! The world is crying out for more whoreswhoreswhoreswhoreswhores dark drama!"
Why can't he just retire? All that terrible attitude of women, other races, and humanity in general dark drama is clearly not doing him any favors.

fade

Staff member
Carrie started out well, but then she is so degraded in DKR2. Every gain is negated x 10.

All this brings up the question,why not have him be bisexual? Why "full gay" as Jean so crudely puts it? Let him be bi, or even pan, and he could still have a strong preference for men that he's been hiding all this time, but it would still allow his established relationships with women to be real and honest.
Again, I feel the need to point out that this did not come out of the blue. It has been hinted at quite a few times for the mainstream timeline Bobby Drake. I don't know if you know a lot of gay men, but I know MANY guys who had wives and children and didn't come out till much later in life. That doesn't negate their relationships that they had prior to coming out.

My thoughts? He's probably sick and needs the payday to pay for his treatment/hospital stuff... and with Batman Vs. Superman coming out (inspired by the Dark Knight) it's likely WB offered him a shit ton of money to do this.

Damn, my "Supes hates Lois, but at least she's not fat" post is gone... now where will i find that pic again if i ever need it?

I dunno, I mean they did this back with the Death Of thing, Supes had minimal powers for awhile after coming back, and then there was that weird Electro-Supes too. I'm sure DC is just struggling to find some new angles to make things work in the books. Drastic changes could bring people in for a book or two to see how things differ, but it could backfire after that.

I'm officially done with Superman as a character. The "Batmanification" of the DC universe is just abhorrent. It's pretty bad when the old Vertigo imprints are the only comics with non-morally ambiguous heroes.

I don't care if they change his costumes, his powers, or whatever. But they're fundamentally changing WHO Superman is. He's the big blue boy scout. He's supposed to be the moral center and ideal of the DC universe.

I don't know who this clown is, but he's not Superman.

What I find hilarious in all this is that they think that this is what makes Superman boring, yet Captain America is basically the analogue of this in the Marvel Universe and he's INCREASING in popularity.

The reason that super heroes are so hot right now is because everything fucking sucks in the world. We NEED heroes. We need icons to look up to. That's the entire point of superheroes, particularly Superman.

I would like to point out that Supes new power...is called "Solar Flare". YUP- I knew this day would come, they are turning Superman into Goku.

What I find hilarious in all this is that they think that this is what makes Superman boring, yet Captain America is basically the analogue of this in the Marvel Universe and he's INCREASING in popularity.
That's because Supes problem was never his "whatever the writer wants" powers, as other DC heroes also suffered from that, it was always DC's decades of hero worship and mary-sueness of him (hey, he's the 1st comic superhero) leaving everyone with the idea that Supes should just super-punch his way out of anything etc.

Like that "How it should have ended" of Supes 1, where he just effortlessly catches both missiles in a few seconds... that's just how everyone's been conditioned to see him, and why, whenever he get depowered, he just steadily creeps his way back to silver age levels of ridiculous...

I guess some people just think that they can undo that stuff by making him less of a goody two shoes, but, imo, that only makes the problem worse by making him not be Superman, which just leads to the Mary-Sueperman to come back in force again...

I can't believe i'm saying this, but Smallville had it right back when it started to introduce other heroes... Aquaman can swim faster and is stronger in/near water, Kid Flash could run circles around him etc... (as an aside "Those where for charity, Clark." was such a great line btw)

Make Mogul be stronger then him again, have Wonder Woman be slightly weaker, but a better warrior, stop making Supes able to just steal GL rings from peoples fingers... stop letting him beat up Darkseid alone while in a JL cartoon because he got mad (he's not a saiyan/human hybrid).

Just think of ways for him to win that don't require him to just dominate his opponent at the end of the fight.

Heh, that reminds me of DBZ vs Dragon Ball... after Frieza almost every big fight was pretty much the fighters getting a powerboost and using it to win, while in DB Goku usually won by pretty close margins (King Piccolo left him only 1 working hand, he barely beat Piccolo at the tournament by throwing him out of the ring etc.)

fade

Staff member
Looks like Marvel is retconning the Maximoffs.
http://io9.com/marvel-confirms-scarlet-witch-and-quicksilver-are-no-lo-1703112599

I.e. they're streamlining the MCU and 616, and fucking over Sony in the process.

Then again, I'm not really sure I share I09's view on this. It's not terribly far off the original story. As a commenter points out, the Magneto bit was a retcon itself.

TL;DR: The Maximoffs are now once again the real parents, and the High Evolutionary kidnapped them, altered them, and disguised them as "common mutants". Kind of back to square 1.

Yeah, it's a retcon of a retcon of a retcon. First they were just the Maximoff's mutant children, then they were the children of Miss America and The Wizzer, then they were Magneto's children, now they're back to being the Maximoff's children, just not mutants.

Pretty sure the Whizzer/Miss America thing was their first origin, and before that they where just there... so it was technically not a retcon...

So, are they supposed to be gypsies now, because they kind of have the wrong facial features...

Pretty sure the Whizzer/Miss America thing was their first origin, and before that they where just there... so it was technically not a retcon...

So, are they supposed to be gypsies now, because they kind of have the wrong facial features...
They didn't know they were "adopted" at first, they thought the Maximoffs were their actual parents. I could be wrong though, that's stretching WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the memory banks of thousands of issues of comics. Hell Wizzer's been dead since before I was born, I think.

Heh, that reminds me of DBZ vs Dragon Ball... after Frieza almost every big fight was pretty much the fighters getting a powerboost and using it to win, while in DB Goku usually won by pretty close margins (King Piccolo left him only 1 working hand, he barely beat Piccolo at the tournament by throwing him out of the ring etc.)
Goku also outwitted his opponents, using their advantage against them.

They didn't know they were "adopted" at first, they thought the Maximoffs were their actual parents. I could be wrong though, that's stretching WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the memory banks of thousands of issues of comics. Hell Wizzer's been dead since before I was born, I think.
I meant they just started off as just some mutants, with no background except "Mags saves them from a mob", so technically they had no origin to retcon...

Even among the Roma-descended Gypsies, there are large differences in appearance. Romanian gypsies are often brown or olive skinned with slightly eastern features, but Russian gypsies - though from the same original stock - blended much more thoroughly and are often much more slavic or western looking. Also, are they supposed be actually be Roma, or just drifters with the same kind of lifestyle as Travelers?

So, I listened to a podcast by guys who like comics, Marvel comics in fact, to the point they get complaints that they don't cover DC stuff enough and they were fucking baffled by Secret Wars. It's such a convoluted mess, even comic book people are confused. I was like, how much could there be to get confused about. Then I saw the NeoGaf thread about it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041685

HOLY SHIT. How does anyone keep this shit in some semblance of coherency?

I'll be back when this is over to enjoy 10 or so months of comics before the next hyperion supreme ultimate collision of annihilation ultimatum destruction of fucking all universes collide wars.

Last edited:
It sounds like a lot of that is just tertiary fluff, but yeah that's a shitload of comics. Sounds like the new universe won't boot up till September or later.

So, from everything I've gathered, this is Marvel's attempt at Crisis on Infinite Earths. Not sure how I feel about it, but I stopped reading right after AvX, so I'm not interested. However, X-tinction Agenda is one of my favorite X-Men stories, so I'm slightly curious about that.

It sounds like a lot of that is just tertiary fluff, but yeah that's a shitload of comics. Sounds like the new universe won't boot up till September or later.
I've read enough of Marvel's big event stories to know that while some of the side books aren't necessary, a lot of them are to make the main issues make sense. Axis was fucking dreadful for this.

I've read enough of Marvel's big event stories to know that while some of the side books aren't necessary, a lot of them are to make the main issues make sense. Axis was fucking dreadful for this.
That's true, I ended up dropping Axis until it was done and just reading the big fight issues with Red Skullzilla and the personality swapping nonsense.

Jesus, and I thought DC's Convergence was confusing enough.

Why the hell did either company think this shit was a good idea in the first place? This is the most convoluted crap I've seen in a long while.