Canadian Politics

$1500 max isn’t exactly going to get you a private meeting with an MP. I am on a first name basis with my MLA and my MP has a nickname for me and I certainly didn’t spend money to get that.

Oh I'm sure that's not enough, but when trying to get on a "glad hand" list, being a "top donor" is always going to help grease the wheels. It's that it's BOTH PARTIES that's the headline.

Elections Canada, you're being silly again.

Bernier and his party deny climate change and have it as part of their platform.

As such Elections Canada has ruled that for the duration of the election, this issue will be partisan in nature.

As such all agencies that receive government funding can not speak on the issue without addressing both sides.

Elections Canada, you're being silly again.

Bernier and his party deny climate change and have it as part of their platform.

As such Elections Canada has ruled that for the duration of the election, this issue will be partisan in nature.

As such all agencies that receive government funding can not speak on the issue without addressing both sides.
Both sides is a term that constantly makes my fucking skin crawl.

I think black people are human beings.

WAIT A SECOND, WE NEED TO HEAR BOTH SIDES OF THE ISSUE HERE.

Canadian Ambassador to Denmark
Emi Furuya (BA Hons [Political Science specialization, French Literature major], University of Toronto, 1996; MA [Political Science], University of Toronto, 1997) worked as a consultant for the Canadian International Development Agency, specializing in democratization and good governance before joining the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade in 1999. Ms. Furuya has served abroad as political counsellor at the embassy in Paris (2006 to 2010), as second secretary (political) at the embassy in Tokyo (2000 to 2003) and as junior adviser at the Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations in New York City (1999). In Ottawa, she has worked on Commonwealth affairs; managed peace support operations, including security sector policy and deployments; and served as deputy director for the department’s international assistance envelope and international financial institutions division. She has also served as deputy director for the G7 and G20 summits, as director of the Office of the Senior Associate Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs and, most recently, as executive director of the Office of the Deputy Minister of International Development. Ms. Furuya and her spouse have two sons.

American Ambassador to Denmark
Carla Sands started a career in acting in 1987, starring in different episodes of the TV Series "The Bold and the Beautiful". From 1988 to 1990 she starred in several movies, and was best known for her work in Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell.
Following her graduation, Sands then started her career working as chiropractor in private practice from 1990 to 1999. Sands had been active in her husband's businesses throughout his career and in 2015, following his death, Sands became the chair and CEO of Vintage Capital Group, which has around $150 million in assets, and of Vintage Real Estate. In 2016, Sands served on President Trump's Transition Finance Committee and the Economic Advisory Council. Sands was the 2016 California Delegate for the 33rd Congressional District to the 2016 Republican National Convention.
U.S. Ambassador to Denmark
Sands was confirmed by the United States Senate to serve as the U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Denmark on November 2, 2017. She formally assumed the office on December 15, 2017.

Both seem better than when https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfonso_Gagliano was appointed.
On November 17, 2004, an article in the New York Daily News alleged that Gagliano was associated with the Bonanno crime family of New York City.[5] In the article, former capo Frank Lino, turned informant for the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation, is quoted as saying Gagliano was first introduced to him during a meeting with other mob members in Montreal in the early 1990s. Lino also stated that Gagliano was a made man of the Mafia.[6] It was not the first time Gagliano's name has been linked to organized crime. In April 1994, La Presse reported that Gagliano was the accountant for Agostino Cuntrera, cousin of cocaine baron Alfonso Caruana, also a native of Siculiana, who was convicted in the gangland slaying of Paolo Violi in Montreal in 1978.[7] Gagliano denied any links to the Mafia.[6]
To be fair this was revealed AFTER he was ambassador. He was given the appointment to get him out of Cabinet because he was involved in the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponsorship_scandal

That this is all Denmark is extra-funny.

I wonder if ambassador jobs are historically given as a bit of a reward because the thought is that countries like the US and Denmark are close enough that the formal ambassador isn't necessary for actually ensuring that the two countries have a good relationship, making it more symbolic.

They are typically given as perks to donors (USA example) or used as training positions for more serious jobs (Canada example).

Good ambassador jobs are given as a reward (Canada->US, Canada->England, etc.). A typical ambassador posting is a combination of experience, education and ability. A bad ambassador posting is where they put people who want to work up to the typical ambassador job.

Which seems backwards to me since diplomacy is much more delicate when it's a country you're not on great terms with.
I should clarify "Bad ambassador posting" isn't necessarily somewhere we aren't on good terms with. It's Canada, we're on relatively good terms with everyone. A bad posting would be somewhere non-English/French speaking, less developed, less modern, potentially unstable, and low profile. For example, Tunisia or Latvia.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've often heard of ambassadorial positions being given out to friends or people who do you favors, as a reward. It's often said to be a cushy sinecure.

Wait a minute - Latvia? C'mon, that's not a "potentially unstable" location. Unless, of course, you don't like hockey...

He's probably not going to lose. Ontario and Quebec will, as always, determine the PM and Ford is ball and chain around the Federal Conservatives.
Odd. The way I've heard this election talked about has been like it's basically a done dea.

If Ontario can elect Doug Ford, there's nothing we're not collectively dumb enough to do.
True. Doug Ford's incompetence is, savagely hurting the CPC in the polls there. Scheer is having Alberta UPC go to Ontario to help campaign and if I know Ontarians, it's that they love being told what to do by Albertans.

I swear to God though, if we get Andrew "Gay People = Dogs" Scheer as PM because dipshit Trudeau wore blackface costumes in drama school 20 years ago I will fucking melt internally.

This whole election cycle has already made me tired of politics. How the fuck do Americans deal with this for like 2 out of 4 years at a time?

Yeah, it seems to be backfiring mega hard. Scheer keeps being asked if he'll apologize for comparing gay people to dogs and his comments on gay marriage and he's not handling quite as well as JT did the whole blackface thing.

Scheer sucks.

Most of the current leaders suck. I like Singh and I like his political beliefs, but he's a fucking terrible leader for the NDP. They have so little money and are so disorganized they're not even able to field candidates everywhere. They need someone to do shitty political work like fundraising and the like if they want to be back to where they were.

11 days to the election. Inmates have voted and early voting everywhere starts tomorrow.

And the water cooler talk is who will replace Scheer as leader.

Ow. How the fuck does a party let that happen?