Canadian Politics

Reactions
270 26 6
So the former attorney general has testified about the SNC-Lavalin affair: The PMO's office for 4 months (at least) tried to pressure her into a sweetheart deal with the company so they could avoid prosecution, because "votes in Quebec."

I thought she'd get the waiver of confidentiality and basically say "We had conversations, but it was not coercion" to toe the party line. What she actually said was something closer to "they made my life a living hell for 4 months, and then kicked me out of the job, then out of cabinet." (I'm paraphrasing here)

She said that for four months, the prime minister, people in his office, members of the Privy Council Office and staff in the office of finance minister Bill Morneau conducted a “consistent and sustained” effort to intervene politically to secure a deferred prosecution agreement for Montreal-based engineering giant SNC Lavalin.
Links (pick your preferred bias)
CBC - Wilson-Raybould says she faced pressure, 'veiled threats' on SNC-Lavalin; Scheer calls on PM to resign
National Post -
Damning testimony from a principled witness
Wilson-Raybould's convincing testimony may cost Trudeau his job
Global - The Trudeau brand takes a hit after Jody Wilson-Raybould testimony
Sun - Wilson-Raybould: I was pushed, got veiled threats on SNC-Lavalin
Macleans - Trudeau and senior Liberals kept linking SNC-Lavalin prosecution to elections
Toronto Star - SNC-Lavalin scandal a ‘constitutional crisis,’ lawyers say

This is basically evidence of corruption at the highest levels (INCLUDING the Prime Minister). The best quote IMO is from the first National Post opinion there: "Either Wilson-Raybould is flat out lying about this, or Trudeau and his people are. It is difficult to see why she would. It is easy to see why they might" Both of the National Post articles include embedded transcripts of her 4 hour testimony.

Remember: it's an election year Nationally this year folks.

Reactions
149 64 0
And to think I was coming here to post about my dear province having a Womens conference...that only had men as speakers and passed out pamphlets advising them to 'smile', 'pray', and 'rest to retain your looks'.

Reactions
270 26 6
Her opening statements are really the most damning of all:
For a period of approximately four months between September and December 2018, I experienced a consistent and sustained effort by many people within the government to seek to politically interfere in the exercise of prosecutorial discretion in my role as the Attorney General of Canada in an inappropriate effort to secure a Deferred Prosecution Agreement with SNC-Lavalin. These events involved 11 people (excluding myself and my political staff) from the Prime Minister’s Office, the Privy Council Office, and the Office of the Minister of Finance. This included in-person conversations, telephone calls, emails, and text messages. There were approximately 10 phone calls and 10 meetings specifically about SNC-Lavalin that I and/or my staff was a part of.

Within these conversations, there were express statements regarding the necessity for interference in the SNC-Lavalin matter, the potential for consequences, and veiled threats if a DPA was not made available to SNC. These conversations culminated on December 19, 2018, with a phone conversation I had with the Clerk of the Privy Council a conversation for which I will provide some significant detail. A few weeks later, on January 7, 2019, I was informed by the Prime Minister that I was being shuffled out of the role of Minister of Justice and the Attorney General of Canada.
This is the opposite of Rule of Law. Anything else happening in the country right now pales in comparison.

Reactions
232 7 2
And to think I was coming here to post about my dear province having a Womens conference...that only had men as speakers and passed out pamphlets advising them to 'smile', 'pray', and 'rest to retain your looks'.
Is this Manitoba? Because it sure sounds like Manitoba.

Reactions
635 236 4
Her opening statements are really the most damning of all:

This is the opposite of Rule of Law. Anything else happening in the country right now pales in comparison.
One of the really annoying things about this is that China can crow about being right in calling us hypocrites over the Huawei business.

Reactions
149 64 0
Newfoundland, if the other news I saw is correct.
Yeh, NL.

Also, loving this quote as it reads as being said by a Ferengi:

"We have reached out to females for this session," Haley said. "Unfortunately we couldn't get anyone available, the ones that we were looking at. So next time we will look a little further, I guess, for a female."

Reactions
2,030 602 22
Also, loving this quote as it reads as being said by a Ferengi:

"We have reached out to females for this session," Haley said. "Unfortunately we couldn't get anyone available, the ones that we were looking at. So next time we will look a little further, I guess, for a female."
"You let your feeeemales wear shoes? That's disgusting!"

--Patrick

Reactions
83 10 0
God, that is such a Liberal party scandal. Boring and grossly corrupt at the same time.
And it might be enough to let the conservatives win the next election and dismantle the country like they're doing to Ontario. Ugh.

Reactions
270 26 6
So, this keeps getting worse, internationally too now!
OECD anti-bribery officials ‘concerned’ by SNC-Lavalin affair, plan to ‘closely monitor’ case
As a Party to the Anti-Bribery Convention, Canada is fully committed to complying with the Convention, which requires prosecutorial independence in foreign bribery cases pursuant to Article 5. In addition, political factors such as a country’s national economic interest and the identity of the alleged perpetrators must not influence foreign bribery investigations and prosecutions.
I heard analysis about this, and it basically boils down to "they basically never point out EXACTLY what a country is doing wrong unless it's an egregious violation." Even if the "Quebec would lose 9000 jobs unless they get an agreement" claim were true (it's not, they're stuck there for years because of a previous deal for their headquarters with Quebec), it would STILL be illegal to do, and pressure on that basis is ALSO illegal.

And then there's our "illustrious" former Deputy PM staying "classy" on twitter by using the "B-word" to refer to the two Women cabinet ministers with enough integrity to resign:

And then accusing the former attorney general of being a racist:

And yes they're both still up, and she actively defends them.

Reactions
1,063 339 5
My province is so keen to have Jason Kenney as it's premier despite the, oh I dunno, billion corruption scandals he's currently embroiled in. Not to mention his direct ties to racist and homophobic groups.

Blech.

Reactions
2,030 602 22
My province is so keen to have Jason Kenney as it's premier despite the, oh I dunno, billion corruption scandals he's currently embroiled in. Not to mention his direct ties to racist and homophobic groups.
We here in America feel your pain.

--Patrick