Build your own computer guide

Well, after a bit of a fright while powering up the 'new' Frankenstein, all's well. And as I move data from this PC, so far so good. Moving this PC to a media machine seems wise as I type this looking at the TV screen :)

New Ryzen 3x00XT chips are out!

tl;dr: If you already have a Ryzen 3k, don't bother upgrading. If you were planning on getting an X chip that has an XT alternative, get the XT variant instead--it's the same price and has higher clockspeed. Otherwise get a 3600 unless you were already planning on getting a 3950X which still sits at the top of the stack.

Rumors are that the 4k series may be delayed, but so far AMD is still saying "Late 2020" so right now those are probably just rumors.

--Patrick

So...I'm starting to think about looking into upgrading/rebuilding my PC. Definitely nothing too urgent about it - I'm currently rocking a GTX760 and i5-4570 with 8GB Ram, so it's not like I need to be on the bleeding edge of things. I'd like to be able to play Cyberpunk, though, and I somehow doubt I'll meet recommended specs.
I'm just preeeetty sure I'll have to replace my motherboard (ASRock B85M-HDS) as well, which means I might as well build a full new PC at that point.
Am I right in thinking I'm best served waiting for the new graphics cards to drop and hopefully push down prices a bunch?

this is someones WAG about it.
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz / AMD Ryzen R5 1600
  • RAM: 16 GB RAM
  • HDD: 70 GB of space
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
  • Direct X: Version 12
  • Screen Resolution: 1080p

Dave

Staff member
this is someones WAG about it.
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz / AMD Ryzen R5 1600
  • RAM: 16 GB RAM
  • HDD: 70 GB of space
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
  • Direct X: Version 12
  • Screen Resolution: 1080p
I could play it now! But I'm still going to upgrade.

I could play it now! But I'm still going to upgrade.
The game's being released for PlayStation 4, Windows, and Xbox One. Usually, when a game is released on multiple platforms, the release versions are made to match the lowest common denominator--so, generally, PC users catch a break in terms of hardware requirements.

Dave

Staff member
The game's being released for PlayStation 4, Windows, and Xbox One. Usually, when a game is released on multiple platforms, the release versions are made to match the lowest common denominator--so, generally, PC users catch a break in terms of hardware requirements.
Well, I went and did a thing I usually don't do. I just preordered the game. Very few companies warrant a preorder from me.

Well, you're causing envy and jealousy, and that isn't good. Especially since that builds would cost about €300 more here, easily.

Dave

Staff member
Well I'm keeping my keyboard/monitor/mouse setup as well as my current HDs. That means I'd have 500 GB SSD for the OS, two HDD (4 TB & 1 TB), a 2 TB SSD for games, and an external 5 TB drive for backups and music.

But I really needed an upgrade to the CPU and mobo.

Since I got a new desk, I have room for a second monitor now. What second monitor should I get? I would like it to be 4k, and my new main monitor. I'm not going to go crazy and have three monitors like my husband does. I don't want it to be wildly expensive, but it doesn't need to be cheap.

GasBandit

Staff member
I like Asus, but most anything that isn't acer or lenovo should be ok.

I can look at it better when I'm at a real desk later

All right, fuckers. Tell me what I've done wrong with my build.
I thought you weren’t going AMD? Or was that just the GPU?
I would go 3900xt or 3950x instead of 3900x. I also expect all the 3000-series prices to drop once Zen3 is unveiled in a few weeks. Personally, I’m gonna wait for Zen3 no matter what because of its better cache, and it’s not like you aren’t going to be waiting anyway because of the GPU.
Oh, and since it’s not my money, you should upgrade your OS drive from whatever 500GB you have to a 1TB SSD like the HP EX950 if you want to stay with PCIe v3, or one of the newer v4 drives like the Sabrent Rocket.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Point by point:

• AMD CPU good. AMD GPU bad.
  • There was a jump in price for the 3950 I wasn't willing to pay and the 3900xt was $50 more for very little upgrade in performance. (x benchmarks at 32,856 while the xt is 33,237).
  • I'm keeping my OS drive. OS isn't that much of a load and the M.s will be my games drive.

GasBandit

Staff member
Since I got a new desk, I have room for a second monitor now. What second monitor should I get? I would like it to be 4k, and my new main monitor. I'm not going to go crazy and have three monitors like my husband does. I don't want it to be wildly expensive, but it doesn't need to be cheap.
How big is your existing monitor, and do you want this one to be the same size, or bigger? And if bigger, how big? For a 4k, I'd usually say you want it to be at least 27".

How big is your existing monitor, and do you want this one to be the same size, or bigger? And if bigger, how big? For a 4k, I'd usually say you want it to be at least 27".
This is my current monitor, it's the biggest one I could fit on my desk at the time, so I definitely want it to be bigger. I have plenty of space, but I probably don't want to go more than 27 - 30" just because I'm not used to looking at a monitor that big. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
This is my current monitor, it's the biggest one I could fit on my desk at the time, so I definitely want it to be bigger. I have plenty of space, but I probably don't want to go more than 27 - 30" just because I'm not used to looking at a monitor that big. :p
Do you need 144hz, or is 60 enough for you?

• AMD CPU good. AMD GPU bad.
  • There was a jump in price for the 3950 I wasn't willing to pay and the 3900xt was $50 more for very little upgrade in performance. (x benchmarks at 32,856 while the xt is 33,237).
  • I'm keeping my OS drive. OS isn't that much of a load and the M.s will be my games drive.
-Ah, ok.
-The XT is a slightly newer revision, so it might overclock better or be more efficient, but whether or not that’s worth +$50 is of course up to you.
-I still would go with the Sabrent 2TB for your game drive over the ADATA 2TB just for the speed boost, depending on the price difference.

I didn’t mention this before, but for best results your 3200MHz RAM should be CL14 for use with Ryzen, not the CL16 you have listed in PCPP. CL16 is what you should get for 3600MHz RAM.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Parts bought. Most will arrive by Tuesday but the power supply might not be until OCTOBER!! It's going to be real hard to just let those parts sit there.

I did change one thing. I got a fan that is a lot shorter. I was reading on the case and the fan that I initially had was about 5 mm too tall to fit.

Also the price of that monitor went up $100 since yesterday lol. I'm going to just sit on it and watch the price for a bit I think.

Dave

Staff member
Surprise of surprises! My power supply came today, only two weeks early! So as soon as I get the case & motherboard I can put this bad boy together!

But I do have a question I can't find an answer for. I bought a fan for it, yet the processor COMES with a fan. I just can't find any information as to whether or not the fan is any good. Anyone have Google-fu better than mine?

I just can't find any information as to whether or not the fan is any good. Anyone have Google-fu better than mine?
The fan is good, but it’s meant for Mini-ITX builds and the like (That’s what the “i” stands for).
Noctua does NOT really recommend the L9i for the 3900x CPU. They recommend something like the NH-U12A or NH-D15S instead. Your case says it supports up to 170mm cooler height, and those are only 158-160mm which will leave plenty of room (About 1/2in).

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
All right, fuckers. All parts are in (except my RTX 3080, of course). Time to build this bitch. My next post is either gong to be triumphantly from my new PC or on my phone as I sob quietly in the darkness.

Catch you on the other side.