[Gaming] Board Game Praise

I've been thinking of ways to improve Quarriors, as a lot of people don't like the advanced rules (and I prefer them). When I have time I'm thinking of writing a set of rules which make the game more like Magic.

Recently played "Tempus" for tehe first time. Fun game, sort of in between Colonists of Catan and Civilization (board game). Once everyone knows the rules, I think it'll move at a good pace and the turns are interesting. Tactics wise, I suck at it, but hey, what else is new?

Why wasn't Settlers of Catan called Colonists of Catan?

That's nice alliteration!
My apologies, Settlers. It's called Colonists in Dutch and French. (Les Colons de Catane, in French, really. Yes, they think it's a colonoscopy simulator. Don't go to a French hospital)

My apologies, Settlers. It's called Colonists in Dutch and French. (Les Colons de Catane, in French, really. Yes, they think it's a colonoscopy simulator. Don't go to a French hospital)
I assumed it was in other languages, I wasn't correcting you. Just mentioning how much more I like the name Colonists of Catan.

I just want to add to this: Cards Against Humanity

If you've played Apples to Apples, it is essentially that, but with VERY ADULT THEMES and some truly horrifyingly hilarious cards.

If you've not played Apples to Apples, why are you reading this thread and not heading out to buy Apples to Apples?

I've been playing Ticket to Ride Nordic Countries with my wife quite a bit lately. She kicks my ass all the time.

Dave

Staff member
I just want to add to this: Cards Against Humanity

If you've played Apples to Apples, it is essentially that, but with VERY ADULT THEMES and some truly horrifyingly hilarious cards.

If you've not played Apples to Apples, why are you reading this thread and not heading out to buy Apples to Apples?

We've played this game online a few times as a board. It's fun as shit!

Played Robo Rally with my wife the other day. She'd never played before. I haven't played it in several years. It's one of those games that really requires a lot of patience and a cool head. It's not a game for people who get frustrated easily. There is a lot that can happen in the game. And since all of your moves for an entire turn are plotted out, in secret, of everyone else, there's plenty of opportunity for something to go wrong. There is also a lot of potential for someone to get left behind. My wife and I played a relatively short game setup, with only three checkpoints. When I touched the final flag my wife had just touched the 1st. This could be attributed to first time inexperience, but she's a pretty quick learner. I think the main problem with the game is that there is plenty of potential to get knocked completely off course. If you make a single wrong move, or someone messes with your move then it's likely that the rest of your movement and board elements will knock you one, maybe even two, complete turns off course.
Also with only two players there is a lot more potential for someone to get ahead just through luck. With more people involved there is more likelihood of bumping heads with someone else which can cripple the leader enough to let everyone else catch up.
I think that with this game you can definitely adopt the strategy of taking out the competition, but it's a better idea to still attempt to go for the flags as quickly as possible.

And as mentioned before this is a game that really requires the right-minded people. I enjoy it quite a bit. But I haven't play it for years because frankly most of my friends just can't handle it. My roommate of 7 years would usually play the game with one strategy in mind. Find the closest pit, and waste all lives by running into it as quickly as possible.

I ran into something similar with Hive. It's very strategy oriented, like Chess but fun, and boy howdie did my wife not like this game. I'll have to find another person willing to play it.

Been more than two years since I played it, but can't recommend Twilight Imperium enough. It is like the love child of Risk and Settlers of Catan, who is way into politics.

BANG! is one of those games where there are simple rules to playing it properly. Each role has it's own tactics that really need to be observed to give you a better chance at victory.
Sheriff: It's not your job to guess who is who. If anything you are doing your self a disservice by attacking someone at random. If you get your deputy killed (or even the renegade) you are increasing the odds for everyone else. What should you do? Sit back and relax. If you are playing with expansions, just stock up on blue and green cards. Prepare for war. Once the deputy(s) is(are) dead you know that everyone else is fair game. Just remember that the Renegade is on your side until you and he are the last man standing.
Deputy: You have the easiest role, because you know exactly who is who. You know everyone else besides the Sheriff is a target. Use this to your advantage by picking fights with people who can't defend themselves. Start with the person on your immediate right (skipping the Sheriff). If you draw blood, the others will likely go for the kill.
Renegade: Same as the Deputy, but you might want to sit back a bit and see who goes after who. You'll have to take chances more than the other roles, but your biggest challenge will be preparing yourself to go head to head against the sheriff. And if he's been stocking up, you better as well.
Bandit: Everyone wants to kill you. Even other bandits. But honestly they shouldn't. Bandits can take out a Sheriff in one turn if they work together. The longer the game goes on the worst your chances are that you'll be able to take down the Sheriff. Your best option is to attack within the first or the second round. And if you are directly to the Sheriff's left you better damn well be the first person to open fire. Yes it outs you right from the start, but if the other bandits are smart they will take the hint. They will each get a turn before the Sheriff has the chance to defend himself.

I love the expansion where there is a card that brings back all the eliminated players as ghosts for one round. They get a full hand of cards and can play as normal. Once the round ends they are dead again.
Bang! is great. I have the Bang special edition Bullet, there are some character cards you really need to take out though; cause they can kind of break the game. Also, I've yet to be able to play it and not have to teach it at the same time. Still, one of my favourites. It is so satisfying to shout "MANCATO!" and slap a Missed card down when your opponent thinks they've put the nail in your coffin.

I was wrong, my wife tried Hive again (much to my surprise). This time she was more into it and liked it better, so hopefully it means we'll get more games of it in! A seriously fantastic 2 player strategy game which is simple to learn but complex to master.

Finally had a chance to play Power Grid the other day. I've been wanting to play it for a while, but it's not a preferred game amongst my friends. I do quite enjoy it, but I do admit that I wish there was more of a random element to it. Something like the dice roll for resources in Settlers of Catan, where tactical skill isn't going to be the only manner of winning.

Finally had a chance to play Power Grid the other day. I've been wanting to play it for a while, but it's not a preferred game amongst my friends. I do quite enjoy it, but I do admit that I wish there was more of a random element to it. Something like the dice roll for resources in Settlers of Catan, where tactical skill isn't going to be the only manner of winning.

I dunno, I've played it often enough that I find te order in which power plants come up is plenty of randomness, and can already play a HUGE role in who wins, eventually.
I will say it's very different depending on the map you're playing. I still generally prefer the original, German map.

I dunno, I've played it often enough that I find te order in which power plants come up is plenty of randomness, and can already play a HUGE role in who wins, eventually.
I will say it's very different depending on the map you're playing. I still generally prefer the original, German map.
My wife actually enjoyed it. Which I certainly wasn't expecting. I think it helped that she won her first time.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just popped in to say I wish I got to play Thunder Road more when I was a kid. I only got one opportunity, and since it was my first time, and against the kid who owned it, I got my ass beat hard.

My wife actually enjoyed it. Which I certainly wasn't expecting. I think it helped that she won her first time.
I love power grid because I can effectively plan out my entire move. "Okay I have $X I'm going to be spending $Y on fuel this turn I'd like to Spend $Z to expand so I can spend $A on my new powerplant."

Only bad move in the entire game is going green energy. Sure I'd love to be enviromentally responsible but they are just too much investment up front and fuel is just too cheap.

I love power grid because I can effectively plan out my entire move. "Okay I have $X I'm going to be spending $Y on fuel this turn I'd like to Spend $Z to expand so I can spend $A on my new powerplant."

Only bad move in the entire game is going green energy. Sure I'd love to be enviromentally responsible but they are just too much investment up front and fuel is just too cheap.

That REALLY depends on what map, what expansions, what variety, and against whom you're playing. Going green at the right time is an absolute killer, and the biggest smackdown I ever got was when my opponent went full-green after the first stage and had a bit of luck in the draw.

Played Chaostle with my girlfriend's friends tonight. It's like Dungeons and Dragons meets Sorry and is incredibly chaotic. I learned quickly not to try or expect to win, but to just ride the insanity to the end. Fucking hilarious game. Really had a lot of fun.

That REALLY depends on what map, what expansions, what variety, and against whom you're playing. Going green at the right time is an absolute killer, and the biggest smackdown I ever got was when my opponent went full-green after the first stage and had a bit of luck in the draw.
True and I'm not claiming I'm some sort of powergrid god having played less than a dozen times. There might be price points where green energy could be worthwhile. I've just always seen a bidding war on green energy where the players weren't able to then expand in a worthwhile way after getting their new eco-friendly plant at an increased price.

True and I'm not claiming I'm some sort of powergrid god having played less than a dozen times. There might be price points where green energy could be worthwhile. I've just always seen a bidding war on green energy where the players weren't able to then expand in a worthwhile way after getting their new eco-friendly plant at an increased price.

Convincing your opponents to overstretch themselves through a bidding war is always a good way of sabotaging their progress :devil:

Man, played another round of Chaostle, this time I was kicking all the ass because of some lucky fate dice rolls that powered up 2 of my characters into monstrous doomsday devices (Wealth is the shit). Then, as I was close to achieving massive victory after plowing through my opponents, we get the fate roll called Chaos that switches the directions our characters are supposed to go so my characters near the end were suddenly near the beginning. The person who was losing horribly was now one step from assaulting the castle itself and she managed so gloriously lucky rules and won the game two turns later.

Chaostle.

DO NOT EXPECT TO WIN.

I can see serious board gamers hating it because of the random (SO RANDOM) element, but I adore it. The game is hilarious. It has crazy highs and unbelievable lows.

Also, game sucks as a 2 player game and only gets better (and crazier) the more people you add.

Convincing your opponents to overstretch themselves through a bidding war is always a good way of sabotaging their progress :devil:
Heh my favorite part of the game. I think 75% of my bids are "Well I can't just let you have that powerplant at cost" bids.

Man I want to play Powergrid again. Most of my friends aren't into it cause it takes so long.

My friends and I play a lot of board games. Some of our frequent games are:

Battlestar Galactica: We generally play with six players. I love the series to bits and enjoy the hell out of the game. I've never won a game, but I still enjoy the holy hell out of it. I love the level of paranoia that seeps into our group.

Lords of Waterdeep: One of the newest games in our group and one we really enjoy.

Betrayal at House on the Hill: It's been talked about already, but it's a hell of a game that's easy to pick up. Our group experiences about 50/50 win/loss for survivors.

Marvel Legendary: A deck building game that we've recently started playing that's pretty fun. They just released an expansion for it. We randomly assign as much as we can, so sometimes it can be pretty challenging and other times it can be a breeze.

Catan: Classic board game and a good first step into the "geek" board games

Dominion: Been talked about. We don't play this as much, if at all, any more but I still think it's a great, easy game to pick up.

Roll Through the Ages: This is a quick to play, easy to pick up resource management game, but far simpler than many of them out there.

Love Letter: 16 cards and you're trying to get your love letter to the princess. Doesn't sound interesting right? The games we played of it might have been some of the most ruthless gaming we've done as a group. Accessible to lots of people.

Gloom: Card game. You start out with a family of misfits that you're trying to put negative modifiers on before you kill them while putting positive modifiers on your opponents' family and trying to kill them too. Each card has a title and we end up telling sordid, perverted stories based on the titles. One story involved one guy having an obsession with doing perverted things to little furry animals, finding a partner who was also into that, and then dying during an erotic session involving said animals. The cards just worked out. Lots of expansions, including a Cthulhu one.

Touch of Evil: Arkham Horror lite. Co-op vs. the board where you build up your characters, fight minions, and eventually a big bad. Apparently, the company pays the actors on the box to appear at cons dressed as their characters.

Arkham Horror: Great co-op game, but complicated. Ugh. Once you get the game down, it's a lot of fun. However, nothing is worse than spending two hours playing a game only to lose because the Old One is a beast.

Ninja Burger: Card game. One of those games where it's fun to screw your fellow players over at the last minute, but also one where one person gets ahead and the person in last place prolongs the game. Kind of frustrating if this happens when it's the last game of the night and it's 2am.

Chaos in the Old World: A Warhammer Fantasy based game that we've played a couple of times. At first, one of the gods seems overpowered, but once you get a feel for the game, each one has a distinctive strategy. We dig it, but don't play it much.

Cards Against Humanity: I haven't played it but the other guys have and they love it. Then again, we're a super perverted, messed up group of people, so it fits us like a glove. I did experience a very CAH moment in Apples to Apples where my brother-in-law played a card that said "Helen Keller" in response to a card that said "senseless". I laughed. He didn't win that round.

Those are the ones that come to mind as popping up most frequently.

Aurgh, been sucked into Android Netrunner. Good gravy, it's a fun game, but right now the runners seem to have a clear advantage over Corp. We'll see if that changes with the next expansion coming out soon.

Gloom! I know the game but I always keep forgetting the name. It's fun, though I have te feeling it'll wear thin after playing it a number of times....Haven't seen or played any expansions though.