Bin laden is dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we sure that they aren't all watching the last season of Jersey Shore there? Because thats what I imagine them to look like if they were.
If they were watching the Jersey Shore, they would have had SEAL Team 6 "stop along the way", and another horrible blight on our country would be gone.

C

Chibibar

Here is an interesting question. I know that in combat we (the U.S. anyways) usually spare the women and children. In the raid 1 died, but the other survived.
What IF...... what if the true mastermind was a woman? what if Bin Laden was just a figurehead? a "talking head" so to speak? would the U.S. shoot and skill a woman?

(note: nothing against women, but why does it have to be a man? I know some women who can be pretty vindictive and unforgiving)

Here is an interesting question. I know that in combat we (the U.S. anyways) usually spare the women and children. In the raid 1 died, but the other survived.
What IF...... what if the true mastermind was a woman? what if Bin Laden was just a figurehead? a "talking head" so to speak? would the U.S. shoot and skill a woman?

(note: nothing against women, but why does it have to be a man? I know some women who can be pretty vindictive and unforgiving)

???

IF he's even dead...

dun dun DUN!!!

Still waiting on those definitions and other people Obama has had assassinated Charlie. This whole "dropping a crazy accusation and running" thing is starting to become a habit with you. If I didn't know better I'd say you are just trolling.

The us tries to spare non combatant civilians, gender has nothing to do with it. If a woman was a combatant, then yes, she would be a target just as anyone else would.

J

Jiarn

Still waiting on those definitions and other people Obama has had assassinated Charlie. This whole "dropping a crazy accusation and running" thing is starting to become a habit with you. If I didn't know better I'd say you are just trolling.
He never addresses when he's proven wrong (which is very very often). The sad part is, I think he actually believes what he writes. It's not even deliberate trolling, it's honestly the way he feels/thinks.

If he even responds to your post, he won't address the question you're asking, but the reason he didn't reply sooner (some of us have a life etc)

I see in TLB what i see in a couple of friends. They seek out confirmatory evidence for their beliefs to a degree greater than the rest of us. We ALL do it. But some people focus their efforts on what they agree with to a greater degree than the average person. I get that impression from TLB. Something that accompanies this is ignoring counter-examples or reasonable alternatives to their beliefs. Again, we all do this, so it is a matter of degree. It may mean that TLB is less interested in discussion than in hearing his own ideas echoed, even if it is off the walls of an empty room.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Why does it have to be a man? I think in this case where we are talking about Islamic extremists it boils down to the fact that in their culture women are the lowest in the social order. More than likely, no one in that culture would follow a woman.

C

Chibibar

IF he's even dead...

dun dun DUN!!!
Heh. Yea I'm sure the conspiracy theorist would believe that he is alive. Why bury at sea immediately? why not hold on to the body? or have a country bury him?
I personally believe keeping the body and having it buried might not be a good idea. Basically Bin Laden is a martyr to the Al-Qaida. Can you imagine have a place where they can flock and "give homage" to their great leader? Yea. Bad idea.

Not to mention a) Islamic law calls for the body to be buried within 24 hours and b) at least 3 of our Islamic-majority allies refused to take the body (can't remember the other two, but I do remember they asked Saudi Arabia to take it and they refused), or at least that's what initial reports said.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Another reason to bury him at sea was so there was no chance of tomb-raiding by either side.

@Chibi: The US, and pretty much MOST modern military powers, have rules of engagement that prohibit the deliberate targetting of non-combatants. However, were a combatant to be a woman or child, that changes nothing.

We had a situation down here where a 10 year old attempted to take a knife to one of my partners. He was 2 seconds away from getting a Black Talon hollowpoint to the head, before his family scooped him up.

Age and gender mean nothing in combat. Actions mean everything. Remember that scene in Blackhawk Down where the child militia member came up trying to shoot the Ranger, but his AK jammed? Yeah, he would have been drilled. I would have felt bad about it later, but I would have been ALIVE to feel that way.

Honestly what's new is likely to be the fact that people found out. Either the administration decided to go for a little more transparency, or they slipped up.

But if you think no prior president has permitted the military to compile lists of targets, both foreign and domestic, citizen or otherwise, that they are permitted to kill on sight, then I applaud your optimism, and hope you never lose it.

Of course, prior presidents were prudent and careful enough that such things were kept secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.