Export thread

Bin laden is dead!

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Being reported by MSNBC President about to make a statement on news! They are saying it was from a Predator Drone and we (Americans) have his body

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42852646#42852646

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
Added at: 21:51
Also, interesting timing, given Obama's approval rating and such. His re-election chances just skyrocketed.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

About freakin' time!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Can we bring all our troops home now?

/wishful thinking

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Here I sit with out any Alcohol in the house... He would be the second person's death that I will drink to.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Can we bring all our troops home now?

/wishful thinking
Are mad, man?! We have to bring DEMOCRACY to these countries!

And take their oil.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Please be real. Please be real.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Terrorism isn't dead, but a symbol of terrorism is dead. Maybe that will be enough, now.

phil

phil

Wait, so it was us that actually got him just now? My friend in the army said it was the general assumption that he was already dead.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Wait, so it was us that actually got him just now? My friend in the army said it was the general assumption that he was already dead.
Obviously he's been kept in a freezer until now, when it's the right time to help out Obama's reelection campaign. :awesome:

Jay

Jay

FUCK YEA!

Jiarn

It's not about ending terrorism, that'll never happen. It's about the huge psychological blow to the terrorist nation as a whole and the demoralization of possible future terrorists that idolized him. It's about no longer needing such a huge military presence on the US's part and getting a large number of our troops back.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Obviously he's been kept in a freezer until now, when it's the right time to help out Obama's reelection campaign. :awesome:
What's sad is that I'm reading comments EXACTLY like that in news articles about this. :rolleyes:

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

This is important, everyone take note. This is one of the few times in history that the United States media will care about or report on the death of a brown person.

Jiarn

You've never been a bigger idiot. Never and that's saying something.

Dave

Dave

This is important, everyone take note. This is one of the few times in history that the United States media will care about or report on the death of a brown person.
:rolleyes:

Far

Far

281x211.jpg

Wasabi Poptart

Well, as a fellow Navy wife pointed out, we may have won this battle but there is still a war.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Sorry I'm not chanting USA and slapping each other's backs over how cool our country is

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The dude headed an organization that attacked more than the U.S. He attacked embassies around the world. He also gave anyone who studied the Qur'an a bad name.

He organized the deaths of thousands of people, possibly tens of thousands if you count worldwide. I can partly understand his reasoning (the U.S. sticking their nose in the Middle East and bombing the hell out of it for decades) but he still organized countless terrorist attacks.

This ain't just about the U.S. This is about the death of one evil fucker.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Sorry, Charlie, the imagined sound of a horrible chapter in our history finally, just maybe, hopefully, starting to close is drowning out my ability to hear cynical snark that's completely unworthy of the current moment.

Jiarn

Sorry I'm not chanting USA and slapping each other's backs over how cool our country is
Too bad he didn't say that gays were abominations and that women should be slapped. You'd have been all over him with a stick and a dirty word. You're unbelivable and you're trying too hard to be hipster/emo/againstthegrain.

General Specific

General Specific

So, we had a military team go in, enter a fire-fight and came out with Bin Laden's body and not a single American casualty. Awesome. A job well done by our military.

Vagabond

Vagabond

And now I'm sure Al-Qaeda will just topple like a house of cards. Like a bunch of dominoes.

Like dual towers of Jenga.

Also, does this mean we can forget now?

blotsfan

blotsfan

No. You're just wrong. As many others have pointed out, this is a big deal. It doesn't make up for everything that has happened, but its a damn good thing. Regardless of what the US has done, he still was a terrible person. Don't try to piss people off or use this as a way to make yourself feel smart because honestly, you're not. Even if this doesn't make a difference in terms of what happens, it is still a major achievement for the US. It was our goal. Give your ego a boost somewhere else, but not here.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

He was an evil person. That doesn't mean I'm going to cheerlead his death.

Dave

Dave

Explain. Would you have mourned Hitler? Is there someone who might just deserve to die?

Wasabi Poptart

You know, I can't even see this as a good thing. I am honestly scared to see what happens next. I highly doubt this man has no successor. His followers remind me of the kind of people who drink laced Kool-aid because God wants them to do it. I don't think they are going to lay down and just take it. I am afraid for my family and friends who serve this country. You won't catch me celebrating, flag waving, or being rah-rah USA. In my mind, this is just the beginning.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Well the people that understand how the world is a better place for not having him will. You can stay in your dumb little world.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Only Charlie. He'd white knight Genghis Kahn.

Jiarn

You know, I can't even see this as a good thing. I am honestly scared to see what happens next. I highly doubt this man has no successor. His followers remind me of the kind of people who drink laced Kool-aid because God wants them to do it. I don't think they are going to lay down and just take it. I am afraid for my family and friends who serve this country. You won't catch me celebrating, flag waving, or being rah-rah USA. In my mind, this is just the beginning.
I agree to an extent. There will be retaliations, but they will be lessened as the time passes. Our presence in the Arab countries will lessen. Our involvement in those countries will lessen. It is the beginning of the end.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

These aren't my words, but they sum up how I feel:

I would preferred him to have continued to live in obscurity because now, because of this utterly symbolic, meaningless "victory", two depraved wars and the domestic suppression of civil liberties are going to be sold as justified, patriotic fervor and jingoism will further distract the US populace from the architects of their economic/life miseries, defense spending will continue to skyrocket, wars will be escalated, and the truly dangerous extremists we purport to combat will be emboldened by our senseless, creepy jubilation. There is nothing to cheer for here. This is bad for everybody.
I don't mourn him. I don't mourn Hitler. He was evil and murderous and spread pain throughout the world on a large scale.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Welp, there goes a chunk of my math study time for tonight. Interesting news.

Krisken

Krisken

Hm. I have to admit, I feel no sympathy for the person. Too many innocents died for his supposed war. Here's hoping some good can come of it and he doesn't become a martyr.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

You're quite possibly right, unfortunately, but for now, I'm glad this part is done.

Cajungal

Cajungal

There's a fine line between gleefully wishing death on people and grimly agreeing that there is a small percentage of people in this world who do exactly 0% good and consciously try to do harm. It's sad that every harmful person can't be saved, but it's a part of life. I'm not dancing around my house right now, but I'm not sad to see him go. Like Wasabi, I'm a little worried about what comes next, too.

General Specific

General Specific

I honestly think that is the proper way to view this. While I'm glad he's dead, I know this is not nearly the end of it.

blotsfan

blotsfan

These aren't my words, but they sum up how I feel
Except they don't. You feel that way because you want to feel like you're smarter than everyone else. You're nothing more than a contrarian. Keep decrying everyone for celebrating the death of one of the worst people in the world just to make yourself feel smarter than the rest of us.

Wasabi Poptart

I agree to an extent. There will be retaliations, but they will be lessened as the time passes. Our presence in the Arab countries will lessen. Our involvement in those countries will lessen. It is the beginning of the end.
I wish I could see it that way. I really do. I guess 9 years of deployments and such have taken my optimism.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

It'll be interesting to see what excuse Pakistan comes up with for supposedly not knowing that Bin laden was in the middle of their country for most of this time.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Why do people think that those with different opinions have those opinions ONLY to be contrary?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Why do people think that those with different opinions have those opinions ONLY to be contrary?
Actually, I think he's talking specifically about you.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Big deal. I drew myself killing a bear with a power drill, ya know.

Way to overshadow my amazing drawing, Osama... He truly was evil :(

Jiarn

Taking you at your word. That's how.

I wish I could see it that way. I really do. I guess 9 years of deployments and such have taken my optimism.
Those 9 years were because of him.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I don't think you're being contrary, but certainly your initial comment about this being the only time that America will care about a brown person dying comes off as elitist and arrogant... And shines an unkind light upon anything else you say. I mean, that was kind of a stupid thing to say, mate.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I was asking in general. It happens to people other than me.

Jiarn

Nice deflection.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Because sadly, you aren't the only elitist asshole there is.

Krisken

Krisken

Because sadly, you aren't the only elitist asshole there is.
:rolleyes:

Careful on that high horse, you might get mistaken for being just like him.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

It'll be interesting to see what excuse Pakistan comes up with for supposedly not knowing that Bin laden was in the middle of their country for most of this time.
Who? OH!! Osama bin LA-den. Ohhhhhh. We thought you said Osama Bin BA-den. Yeah. Bin Laden lives on first street. We can drop you off if you like,

Krisken

Krisken

Who? OH!! Osama bin LA-den. Ohhhhhh. We thought you said Osama Bin BA-den. Yeah. Bin Laden lives on first street. We can drop you off if you like,
The local Fox affiliate only accidentally said Obama bin Laden twice and had it in the scroll at the bottom of the screen. Poor dopes.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Hey, they probably just assumed that he was hiding here, pretending to be a rich Palm Springs retiree named Artie Rosenthal...

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Charlie, I respect the fact that you and I are probably never going to see eye to eye on a single subject, and I'm okay with that. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, no matter how morally reprehensible I may believe it to be...

but you could fuck up a wet dream, I just want to let you know that.

I'm sorry, but it had to be said.

In other news, it's about time. While there may be repercussions, one cannot deny that a major blow to the face of terrorism in general, and Al-Qaeda specifically has been delivered.

My concern is more with Pakistan's response. They've already been rather testy with us, of late...

Jay

Jay

phil

phil

Heh, I heard someone say that the only way this could be sweeter was if the guy who actually got him was gay.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Heh, I heard someone say that the only way this could be sweeter was if the guy who actually got him was gay.
Or Jewish....

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

A gay jew.
Added at: 21:54
Or Jewish....
Ohhhh, you!

Jay

Jay

On top of that image let me say this as a Canadian to you my fellow Americans.

I really hope that this Bin Laden killing doesn't turn into partisan bickering. It's a great day for ALL Americans (and their allies) as well as and all the victims of Al Qaeda. It doesn't matter if you're a Republican or a Democrat... Christian or Muslim whatever the hell your party/religion/(sexual orientation?) is. Yes, at this point this news might be largely symbolic but it's still a huge story and a great achievement no matter what party you're affiliated with, who you vote for, who you pray to. The world's a better place today.

If you can't accept that, there's a little red x on the top right of the screen, don't poop on other people's happiness because you cannot feel the same way. Have some respect of taking your ball and going home.

Gusto

Gusto

I can hear the paradigms shifting, the gears of the universe clanking together.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

geez, I'm sorry I ruined your jerkoff session about someone dying.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Not ruined, trust me.

Jay

Jay

Krisken

Krisken

Well good. Now that you are sorry, we can move on to the cake.

Jay

Jay

✓ Saddam Hussein
✓ Osama Bin Laden
☐ Justin Bieber

Gusto

Gusto

✓ Saddam Hussein
✓ Osama Bin Laden
☐ Justin Bieber
Jeez.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Oh... Is THAT why we were all jerking off?

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

The video of everyone celebrating and waving flags in the streets outside the White House reminds me of 9/11 when we saw the video of people celebrating in Middle Eastern streets.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I thought those videos were recorded before 9/11?

Jiarn

The funny thing is, you just don't get it. Wait, not funny. Sad.

The video of everyone celebrating and waving flags in the streets outside the White House reminds me of 9/11 when we saw the video of people celebrating in Middle Eastern streets.
That's because you're dense. They were celebrating the deaths of thousands of people. We're celebrating the justice served to those who died and what this means to ending the war effort. Big difference kiddo.

Cajungal

Cajungal

On top of that image let me say this as a Canadian to you my fellow Americans.

I really hope that this Bin Laden killing doesn't turn into partisan bickering. It's a great day for ALL Americans (and their allies) as well as and all the victims of Al Qaeda. It doesn't matter if you're a Republican or a Democrat... Christian or Muslim whatever the hell your party/religion/(sexual orientation?) is. Yes, at this point this news might be largely symbolic but it's still a huge story and a great achievement no matter what party you're affiliated with, who you vote for, who you pray to. The world's a better place today.

If you can't accept that, there's a little red x on the top right of the screen, don't poop on other people's happiness because you cannot feel the same way. Have some respect of taking your ball and going home.
Well put.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Good riddance.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Now who's arrogant? You're just saying the world is a better place and that's that. I disagree. And I'm not just saying that to piss everyone off here.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

If you're going to make comparisons, why not go whole hog? Compare to Somalis celebrating the downing of two Blackhawks, dragging American corpses through the streets? Or, hell, go for the OBVIOUS, and liken it to a Nazi Party rally? Why half-ass it?

Gusto

Gusto

I am not directing this at anyone in particular, I just want it to be said.

This is important news, much too important to be relegated to the Politics forum or locked. Let's try to respect other's rights to post their opinions, no matter how alien and out there they might seem.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I am not directing this at anyone in particular, I just want it to be said.

This is important news, much too important to be relegated to the Politics forum or locked. Let's try to respect other's rights to post their opinions, no matter how alien and out there they might seem.
You smell.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

.... Duly noted. Sorry.

Gusto

Gusto

You smell.
OH YOU BANNED, SON

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

They were celebrating a strike against people they demonized for killing innocents in their homeland.

We're celebrating the same thing. It's two sides of the same coin. We're all humans, fuck. The American Exceptionalism just makes me sick sometimes.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

OH YOU BANNED, SON
YOUR BLUE TEXT LOOKS LIKE A BLIZZARD MOD, AND THAT MAKES ME HAPPY.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Charlie, your public jerking off to your delusions of moral superiority is unseemly.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

You're trying to force a moral equivalency between the deaths of 3000 innocent people and 1 man who has openly gloated on an international level of the deaths he's caused? Isn't that just a bit grotesque?

blotsfan

blotsfan

They were celebrating a strike against people they demonized for killing innocents in their homeland.

We're celebrating the same thing. It's two sides of the same coin. We're all humans, fuck. The American Exceptionalism just makes me sick sometimes.
They celebrated the killing of people who lived in the country that they demonized for killing innocents in their homeland. We celebrate the killing of the person that actually killed the innocent people in our homeland.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

You're trying to force a moral equivalency between the deaths of 3000 innocent people and 1 man who has openly gloated on an international level of the deaths he's caused? Isn't that just a bit grotesque?
I am 100% certain the United States Military has killed at least 3,000 innocents in the middle east.

Jay

Jay

Here is the full text of US President Barack Obama’s statement on Osama bin Laden’s death:

Good evening. Tonight, I can report to the American people and to the world that the United States has conducted an operation that killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of Al-Qaeda, and a terrorist who’s responsible for the murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children.

It was nearly 10 years ago that a bright September day was darkened by the worst attack on the American people in our history. The images of 9/11 are seared into our national memory — hijacked planes cutting through a cloudless September sky; the Twin Towers collapsing to the ground; black smoke billowing up from the Pentagon; the wreckage of Flight 93 in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where the actions of heroic citizens saved even more heartbreak and destruction.

And yet we know that the worst images are those that were unseen to the world. The empty seat at the dinner table. Children who were forced to grow up without their mother or their father. Parents who would never know the feeling of their child’s embrace. Nearly 3,000 citizens taken from us, leaving a gaping hole in our hearts.

On September 11, 2001, in our time of grief, the American people came together. We offered our neighbors a hand, and we offered the wounded our blood. We reaffirmed our ties to each other, and our love of community and country. On that day, no matter where we came from, what God we prayed to, or what race or ethnicity we were, we were united as one American family.

We were also united in our resolve to protect our nation and to bring those who committed this vicious attack to justice. We quickly learned that the 9/11 attacks were carried out by Al-Qaeda — an organization headed by Osama bin Laden, which had openly declared war on the United States and was committed to killing innocents in our country and around the globe. And so we went to war against Al-Qaeda to protect our citizens, our friends, and our allies.

Over the last 10 years, thanks to the tireless and heroic work of our military and our counterterrorism professionals, we’ve made great strides in that effort. We’ve disrupted terrorist attacks and strengthened our homeland defense. In Afghanistan, we removed the Taliban government, which had given bin Laden and Al-Qaeda safe haven and support. And around the globe, we worked with our friends and allies to capture or kill scores of Al-Qaeda terrorists, including several who were a part of the 9/11 plot.

Yet Osama bin Laden avoided capture and escaped across the Afghan border into Pakistan. Meanwhile, Al-Qaeda continued to operate from along that border and operate through its affiliates across the world.

And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against Al-Qaeda, even as we continued our broader efforts to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat his network.

Then, last August, after years of painstaking work by our intelligence community, I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden. It was far from certain, and it took many months to run this thread to ground. I met repeatedly with my national security team as we developed more information about the possibility that we had located bin Laden hiding within a compound deep inside of Pakistan. And finally, last week, I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action, and authorized an operation to get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice.

Today, at my direction, the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan. A small team of Americans carried out the operation with extraordinary courage and capability. No Americans were harmed. They took care to avoid civilian casualties. After a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body.

For over two decades, bin Laden has been Al-Qaeda’s leader and symbol, and has continued to plot attacks against our country and our friends and allies. The death of bin Laden marks the most significant achievement to date in our nation’s effort to defeat Al-Qaeda.

Yet his death does not mark the end of our effort. There’s no doubt that Al-Qaeda will continue to pursue attacks against us. We must — and we will — remain vigilant at home and abroad.

As we do, we must also reaffirm that the United States is not — and never will be — at war with Islam. I’ve made clear, just as President Bush did shortly after 9/11, that our war is not against Islam. Bin Laden was not a Muslim leader; he was a mass murderer of Muslims. Indeed, Al-Qaeda has slaughtered scores of Muslims in many countries, including our own. So his demise should be welcomed by all who believe in peace and human dignity.

Over the years, I’ve repeatedly made clear that we would take action within Pakistan if we knew where bin Laden was. That is what we’ve done. But it’s important to note that our counterterrorism cooperation with Pakistan helped lead us to bin Laden and the compound where he was hiding. Indeed, bin Laden had declared war against Pakistan as well, and ordered attacks against the Pakistani people.

Tonight, I called President Zardari, and my team has also spoken with their Pakistani counterparts. They agree that this is a good and historic day for both of our nations. And going forward, it is essential that Pakistan continue to join us in the fight against al Qaeda and its affiliates.

The American people did not choose this fight. It came to our shores, and started with the senseless slaughter of our citizens. After nearly 10 years of service, struggle, and sacrifice, we know well the costs of war. These efforts weigh on me every time I, as Commander-in-Chief, have to sign a letter to a family that has lost a loved one, or look into the eyes of a service member who’s been gravely wounded.

So Americans understand the costs of war. Yet as a country, we will never tolerate our security being threatened, nor stand idly by when our people have been killed. We will be relentless in defense of our citizens and our friends and allies. We will be true to the values that make us who we are. And on nights like this one, we can say to those families who have lost loved ones to Al-Qaeda’s terror: Justice has been done.

Tonight, we give thanks to the countless intelligence and counterterrorism professionals who’ve worked tirelessly to achieve this outcome. The American people do not see their work, nor know their names. But tonight, they feel the satisfaction of their work and the result of their pursuit of justice.

We give thanks for the men who carried out this operation, for they exemplify the professionalism, patriotism, and unparalleled courage of those who serve our country. And they are part of a generation that has borne the heaviest share of the burden since that September day.

Finally, let me say to the families who lost loved ones on 9/11 that we have never forgotten your loss, nor wavered in our commitment to see that we do whatever it takes to prevent another attack on our shores.

And tonight, let us think back to the sense of unity that prevailed on 9/11. I know that it has, at times, frayed. Yet today’s achievement is a testament to the greatness of our country and the determination of the American people.

The cause of securing our country is not complete. But tonight, we are once again reminded that America can do whatever we set our mind to. That is the story of our history, whether it’s the pursuit of prosperity for our people, or the struggle for equality for all our citizens; our commitment to stand up for our values abroad, and our sacrifices to make the world a safer place.

Let us remember that we can do these things not just because of wealth or power, but because of who we are: one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Thank you. May God bless you. And may God bless the United States of America.”

blotsfan

blotsfan

I am 100% certain the United States Military has killed at least 3,000 innocents in the middle east.
And we celebrate in the streets when the 3000 innocents die?

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

So when we celebrate killing 3,000 or more people, than you would have an actual moral equivalency. Right now, that's not what you are doing.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Just... stop... feeding... the... troll

Krisken

Krisken

I guess what I don't understand is, who is supposedly upset about this? Who is really put out by the death of Osama bin Laden? No one here, for sure. The Muslim nation? Of course not, they were as terrified of him as anyone was.

I'm not seeing why this is the tragedy you purport it to be, TLB.

Jay

Jay

Yes please. Ignore the troll and don't let it hijack the thread.

Anyways....Brofist from Canada... my American Bros

1304313441639s.jpg

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Agree to disagree, people. This "My morality dick is bigger than your morality dick!" back and forth does get old pretty damn quickly.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

LISTEN. EVERYONE. You are ignoring the most essential question:

Can I bring shampoo in my carry-on yet?

Jay

Jay

ROFL

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I posted earlier in the thread why I didn't think this was a great thing.

Cajungal

Cajungal

:rofl:

Jay

Jay

1304314413258.jpg

:thumbsdown:

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Aww, that's my local station... WAY TO MAKE US LOOK BAD, FOX

Krisken

Krisken

Aww, that's my local station... WAY TO MAKE US LOOK BAD, FOX
Don't worry, apparently they did it here too.

@Li3n

@Li3n

So Obama is getting re-elected for sure now. And releasing the long form right before too, nice.

So when we celebrate killing 3,000 or more people, than you would have an actual moral equivalency.
So it's fine for only 2999....

I think sticking to "when we celebrate killing civilians" might have been a better idea.
Added at: 07:40
Our presence in the Arab countries will lessen. Our involvement in those countries will lessen.

Oh man, thanks for that, i really needed a laugh monday morning.

Balkoth

So when we celebrate killing 3,000 or more people, than you would have an actual moral equivalency. Right now, that's not what you are doing.
But you are doing that! Do you think in the 10 years since 9/11 you only killed bad guys ? More than 3000 innocent civilians died in both wars the American Government started as "revenge" . Thus when you come out and celebrate Osama's death in essence you are doing exactly what lowly educated Arabs did back in 2001.

As for the war of terror ending, dream on. This war started because it's not possible to stop it, ever. By the simple act of stomping out a terrorist organization you spawn another.

That said though his death IS a good thing and let me congratulate you on a job well done. Please don't make him a martyr by parading his body around and just let him be forgoten.

@Li3n

@Li3n

http://www.tmz.com/2011/05/01/osama-bin-laden-dead-killed-president-barack-obama/
Ironically, today marks the 8th anniversary of George W. Bush's "mission accomplished" speech.
Is that true?

And they even got him with troops instead of drones...

Now we just need someone to say JUST.AS.PLANNED!

Jiarn

So his body was "put out to sea" within hours. How delicious this is going to be for the conspiracy trolls.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Ah, economy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13256943

Too bad i only have euro's, selling $ right now would make me a nice profit.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So his body was "put out to sea" within hours. How delicious this is going to be for the conspiracy trolls.
We offered to repatriate his body to Saudi Arabia, but they refused.

Zappit

Zappit

CNN is saying Navy SEALS got him in a forty minute operation. Heavy firefight. No American casualties or injuries. Thank goodness that monster is dead. It's justice.

Mathias

Mathias

Dude, you have the worst case of white-male guilt I've ever seen.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Dude, you have the worst case of white-male guilt I've ever seen.
This. And then some.

Mathias

Mathias

Yep, Osama Bin Laden was a special flower of special snowflake uniqueness. The world is a worse place without him because we ended a life that was as specially unique as the next unique butterfly... When are you going to grow up and realize that some people are justifiably killed when they are a threat to the well-being of the world? I'm sure that the Navy Seals who bagged him wanted him alive so he could have stood trial in America for his crimes, but unfortunately that's not how a firefight usually goes down.

Seriously shut the fuck up if you're going to perpetually live in this freshman year political science fantasy world of yours. The celebrations at the White House were a form of relief; that the US has some closure on a awful thing that happened to us. We're not celebrating the death of civilians in the Middle East.

Dave

Dave

My only problem with the whole thing is the capturing of the body and (apparent) subsequent burial at sea. How long before the wingnuts come out & say it was all fake and the photo is not real?

My guess is this is the next step for the birthers as it's impossible to disprove if they've already disposed of the body.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Yep, Osama Bin Laden was a special flower of special snowflake uniqueness. The world is a worse place without him because we ended a life that was as specially unique as the next unique butterfly...
Yeah, putting words in his mouth is a great way to get him to reconsider his stance...

When are you going to grow up and realize that some people are justifiably killed when they are a threat to the well-being of the world? I'm sure that the Navy Seals who bagged him wanted him alive so he could have stood trial in America for his crimes, but unfortunately that's not how a firefight usually goes down.

Seriously shut the fuck up if you're going to perpetually live in this freshman year political science fantasy world of yours. The celebrations at the White House were a form of relief; that the US has some closure on a awful thing that happened to us. We're not celebrating the death of civilians in the Middle East.
And i'm sure they where not celebrating the death of innocent people either, they where relieved that the US wasn't immune to retribution... and it was justifiable because the US is a threat to the muslim world etc.

Seriously, stop helping, you're just making him more secure in his snugness... (the irony is that he's as self righteous as the people he's criticising for being self righteous).

Jiarn

He straight up compared the people who are celebrating (alot of them who lost family in 9/11) to the revelers in Pakistan when the towers were hit. He isn't self-righteous. He's completely lost in himself and his detachment from reality.

@Li3n

@Li3n

My only problem with the whole thing is the capturing of the body and (apparent) subsequent burial at sea. How long before the wingnuts come out & say it was all fake and the photo is not real?

My guess is this is the next step for the birthers as it's impossible to disprove if they've already disposed of the body.

Yeah, that was pretty stupid, basically the worst way to make sure his grave won't become a shrine... they could at least kept it for longer.

But the first reports of his death where about a predator drone, so we should wait for more official news about it.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So what do you do with the body when there's no one to claim it? Saudi Arabia refused permission for it to be repatriated to his home country. Who else would be silly enough to step up and say "okay, we'll take it"?

And as they were treating the body according to Islamic practices and traditions, burial had to take place within 24 hours. Time wasn't on their side.

@Li3n

@Li3n

He straight up compared the people who are celebrating (alot of them who lost family in 9/11) to the revelers in Pakistan when the towers were hit. He isn't self-righteous. He's completely lost in himself and his detachment from reality.
And that's not the first symptom of self-righteousness since when?

And you really think the people in Pakistan where celebrating some random people they had no interest in getting killed? And that it won't look to them exactly like they did to you?

Hell, would it really matter if some of those revellers had lost family in US strikes (or from weapons they sold to regimes they supported) at some point before?
Added at: 14:16
So what do you do with the body when there's no one to claim it? Saudi Arabia refused permission for it to be repatriated to his home country. Who else would be silly enough to step up and say "okay, we'll take it"?

And as they were treating the body according to Islamic practices and traditions, burial had to take place within 24 hours. Time wasn't on their side.
I was thinking keeping it longer, but i guess if that's an actual custom (gah, 24 hours is a recipe for waking up buried, that's why we started using the 3 days thing) that's a legit reason.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

But you are doing that! Do you think in the 10 years since 9/11 you only killed bad guys ? More than 3000 innocent civilians died in both wars the American Government started as "revenge" . Thus when you come out and celebrate Osama's death in essence you are doing exactly what lowly educated Arabs did back in 2001.
This is exactly what Charlie was trying to say in the first place, and it makes no sense. You can be perfectly happy that Osama bin laden is dead for the crimes he committed without supporting the invasion of Iraq and/or Afghanistan.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Here I sit with out any Alcohol in the house... He would be the second person's death that I will drink to.
The Good News: I did have a bottle of Kahlua.
The Bad News: It really makes a terrible shooter.

Math242

Math242

they should have kept the body for a while longer... The conspiracy theorists are having a blast and it's not going to stop anytime soon

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I just wonder how the Most Wanted Man in Pakistan could build a mansion next to the Pakistani Military Training Academy and not get noticed for six years. Pakistan has a lot to answer for on that subject.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I just wonder how the Most Wanted Man in Pakistan could build a mansion next to the Pakistani Military Training Academy and not get noticed for six years. Pakistan has a lot to answer for on that subject.
Wait, really? I thought it was just near Islamabad?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

1000 feet away.
Added at: 15:33
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan_Military_Academy
Added at: 15:34
It sounds like it is an attached High School to the Military Academy.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Huh. I take back my earlier snark, that's messed up.

Krisken

Krisken

they should have kept the body for a while longer... The conspiracy theorists are having a blast and it's not going to stop anytime soon
They'll do that anyways. The birth certificate nonsense has shown us that.

Chibibar

heh. I wondered about that.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110502/ap_on_re_us/us_bin_laden

but the crazy people will think this is all a rues anyways and fake since there is no body to prove.

Math242

Math242

fair enough

Espy

Espy

Man, I've got nuts on my fb feed going crazy over conspiracy stuff. Ugh. Yes, yes, between this and 9/11 there are over 100,000 people involved in a giant conspiracy to cover this all up.

That sound legit.

fade

fade

Hmm.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the removal of a terrible man who probably needed to be dealt with. But I do find the joy and jubilation and celebration of the death of a human being disturbing.

Gared

Gared

I am truly and honestly torn on this. I have to admit to feeling some sense of satisfaction when I first read that he was killed, and it is still satisfying to see that we finally got rid of this one man. But I just honestly don't think that it changes anything. People who hate other people are still going to attack them, the world over, with little to no regard for noncombatant life. In the U.S., our security theater organs are going to continue to conduct security theater. Just because Bin Laden is dead doesn't mean they're going to let us walk to the airport gate with friends and loved ones when they fly out, and it doesn't mean that I won't be felt up and/or irradiated when I fly somewhere.
I don't know. I guess the best way to sum up my feelings on the matter is that, for most of the U.S. and world, this is a great symbolic victory, the closing of this specific chapter of our lives. For those whose lives were directly impacted by 9/11, who lost family members or friends in the attack itself, or those who've lost loved ones and friends in the years since in the war on terrorism, maybe it's more meaningful. If so, I'm happy for them. Maybe there are some people out there who can finally get closure and start to heal and move on with their lives. But it really doesn't change my life.

Chibibar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110502/ap_on_re_us/us_bin_laden_al_qaida_s_future

I am truly and honestly torn on this. I have to admit to feeling some sense of satisfaction when I first read that he was killed, and it is still satisfying to see that we finally got rid of this one man. But I just honestly don't think that it changes anything. People who hate other people are still going to attack them, the world over, with little to no regard for noncombatant life. In the U.S., our security theater organs are going to continue to conduct security theater. Just because Bin Laden is dead doesn't mean they're going to let us walk to the airport gate with friends and loved ones when they fly out, and it doesn't mean that I won't be felt up and/or irradiated when I fly somewhere.
I don't know. I guess the best way to sum up my feelings on the matter is that, for most of the U.S. and world, this is a great symbolic victory, the closing of this specific chapter of our lives. For those whose lives were directly impacted by 9/11, who lost family members or friends in the attack itself, or those who've lost loved ones and friends in the years since in the war on terrorism, maybe it's more meaningful. If so, I'm happy for them. Maybe there are some people out there who can finally get closure and start to heal and move on with their lives. But it really doesn't change my life.
Agree. the article above said it "could" weaken the Al-Qaida but personally, I don't think it does. It just made him a martyr in their eyes. You can't crush an idea/belief. Sure you can slaughter millions (like the dark ages, WW II and any other attempt to kill tons of people for their belief) and it will go on.

Jay

Jay

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110502/ap_on_hi_te/ml_bin_laden_twitter

Bin Laden's neighbor tweeted the raid live.

There Goes the Neighborhood...

Chibibar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110502/ap_on_hi_te/ml_bin_laden_twitter
The power of twitter!

Bleh. I was suppose to quote Six. ah we..

Jay

Jay

Jiarn

Jay, don't ever stop being awesome. Seriously.

Jay

Jay

Presidential poker face. Do not, play Poker with the president.

Added at: 11:54
Fox News screws up AGAIN.

Hylian

Hylian

While I am not sad that he is dead I find it hard to rejoice at the news. Granted he was a terrible man and all that but I find it hard to find joy in the death of someone. I mean I know he needed to be stopped but and I figured I would be happy but I just can't seem to get myself to be happy over the loss of a life. I want to state that I am glad he has been stopped and relieved he is dead but I find no joy in celebrating the fact.

Jay

Jay

Anyone else think Osama buried at sea is a little too Transformers... Megatron-ish?

Espy

Espy

I can't ever imagine "rejoicing" over anyone's death. I can and do feel good when a battle is won, and this seems like a battle that was won, but it's hardly the end of a war.
Added at: 11:10
Anyone else think Osama buried at sea is a little too Transformers... Megatron-ish?
lol, it's a little... odd. Not to mention it's just fueling the numbnut conspiracy folks.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I think what bugs me about TLB's statements are partially that he is drawing false equivalencies but mostly that he is painting with a broad brush. I am glad that a terrible threat has been removed from the world. We are (probably) better off today than we were yesterday as a species and as a society. But having this attitude means that TLB has painted me and plenty of others who feel a sense of relief as being horrible people, the same as those that celebrate the deaths of "brown people". Sorry, TLB, but my opinion is much more nuanced than that. I would say it is probably more nuanced than your own, actually. You can't criticize people for being sexist or racist or something and then do exactly the same thing to other people about something else. If you want to rise above the things that bother you about society, then you need to avoid the gross generalizations and judgmental attitude yourself.

fade

fade

This is something I've called TLB on before. His response was along the lines of "I'm okay hating the people I disagree with in the same way they hate", which I found bewildering and I never bothered arguing back.

Espy

Espy

It's different when you are right MD.

Duh.

Espy

Espy

I do get what Charlie is reacting to though (not the brown people thing, that was... uniquely horrible, seriously, WTF?) but seeing some of the reactions from folks over this has been... eerie.

Gared

Gared

One of the news readers on the news radio station I listen to on my commute did just that, while talking about the celebration going on last night at Joint Base Lewis McChord. I can't remember her exact words, but it was something to the effect of "We're just happy to have finally killed Obama, I mean Osama." Talk about a slip of the tongue.

fade

fade

I agree with that part 100%. Cheering for a death is something I find very disturbing. I even find it disheartening that another human being is dead. But to paint the people who do cheer in such a way is unfair and as much an strange unjustified judgement as racism itself.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Whatever the arguement, one thing is for sure:

They probably found Bin Laden after his PSN account was hacked.

Jay

Jay

Covar

Covar

One of the news readers on the news radio station I listen to on my commute did just that, while talking about the celebration going on last night at Joint Base Lewis McChord. I can't remember her exact words, but it was something to the effect of "We're just happy to have finally killed Obama, I mean Osama." Talk about a slip of the tongue.
It's an easy slip to make, especially in the current context where both names will be getting used in stories.

Hylian

Hylian

The following scene is how I feel about all the celebrating over his death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsElweq0c2U&feature=player_detailpage#t=409s

fade

fade

I can understand all the pics of the college age kids cheering.

Hell, since these kids were little, bin Laden has been the 'boogeyman'. Some of these kids were 8 or 9 years old when the WTC came down. The war on terror has dominated a great portion of their lives, and we Just Got the Bad Guy.

I'm not surprised at all at the celebration.
Added at: 12:00
On the other hand, I really wish everyone would quit pimping reddit pictures for karma ;)
I wouldn't say I was surprised either. Just disturbed.

Null

Null

One hopes that without his financial support, leadership, and symbolic significance, the organizations he founded will be far less effective. But that is far from certain.

Jay

Jay

The only difference between Obama and Osama is a little B.S.

Espy

Espy

I wouldn't say I was surprised either. Just disturbed.
Ditto.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

One hopes that without his financial support, leadership, and symbolic significance, the organizations he founded will be far less effective. But that is far from certain.
I keep seeing people call Bin Laden a figure head, no he was far more than that. It is good to see some one agree on that point.

Krisken

Krisken

It's an easy slip to make, especially in the current context where both names will be getting used in stories.
I actually agree with you. Where it isn't acceptable is in the word scrolls. That shit is just weak sauce.

phil

phil

I actually agree with you. Where it isn't acceptable is in the word scrolls. That shit is just weak sauce.
http://imgur.com/0kh59

Krisken

Krisken

I know that is probably not real, but damn it it's funny.

Tress

Tress

I saw this on Gawker and thought I should share. I'm not really endorsing it nor am I condemning it, just adding it to the discussion.

Sometimes a Little Bloodlust is in Order

John Cook — Amid all the ululation and praise for great men in the wake of Osama bin Laden's assassination, a few killjoys have emerged to shame us for celebrating a man's death. We are not barbarians!
Oh yes we are. Usually that's a bad thing. But if there is ever a time when we should give ourselves license to surrender to our animal selves and dance on the grave of an enemy, this is it.
The scolds come from across the ideological spectrum. In Salon, David Sirota warns that jingoistic cries of "USA! USA! USA!" are no better than the mad rants of the jihadis: "For decades, we have held in contempt those who actively celebrate death.... But in the years since 9/11, we have begun vaguely mimicking those we say we despise, sometimes celebrating bloodshed against those we see as Bad Guys just as vigorously as our enemies celebrate bloodshed against innocent Americans they (wrongly) deem as Bad Guys."
At the Corner, conservative Catholic Kathryn Jean Lopez worries that killing people makes the baby Jesus cry: "[D]eath is never a cause for celebration. We should always be uneasy about such things." On the web site of David Frum, another right-winger, a rabbi reminds us that "public rejoicing about the death of an enemy is entirely inappropriate." (Frum himself seems to disagree.)
Moral clarity is a rare gift, and these people want to rob you of one of the few opportunities that a conflicted, peaceful, human-rights-loving liberal will ever have to unabashedly wave the flag in joy at a vanquished foe. Don't let them! The laudable instinct to step back from tribal revelry is rooted in a sense of our common humanity, and the ease with which it is forgotten. But Osama bin Laden is a moral monster of the highest order, with gallons of blood on his hands, and he earned his fate in spades. Not because he has been cartoonishly portrayed as a villain by the U.S., or because he looks funny, or because his policy goals conflict with those of the U.S. and therefore must be destroyed—it's because he personally orchestrated the deaths of 3,000 innocents, on purpose, to prove a point. Actions have consequences!
You're allowed to comprehend that he is a person, a father, a son, with dreams and desires, and also be absolutely over the moon that he got shot in the head yesterday.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Soooo... will there be pictures of the recently perished bin Laden? You know, Che Guevara style? That oughta shut people up.
On second thought... scratch that idea. Even Che looked like crap.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The pics that are making the rounds now are fake.

The White House is still debating releasing the actual pics.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/bin-laden-used-woman-human-shield-us-official-191106863.html

Al-Qaeda mastermind Osama bin Laden used one of his wives as a human shield in an apparent attempt to try to save his own life during a raid by US covert forces, a top US official said Monday.
Wow, if that's true, then the guy is an evil prick and a coward. Oh, and also dead. Have I mentioned "good riddance"?

Someone should make a "Hope" parody shirt with a picture of Osama with the word "Dead". :D

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

The pics that are making the rounds now are fake.

The White House is still debating releasing the actual pics.
You know, I'm totally fine with them not publicizing the pics, just showing them to independent experts. I feel like publicly releasing pics of a guy shot in the head for the sake of public edification pretty clearly crosses the line into "reveling in death" territory.

LittleSin

LittleSin

I am not American...but I'm totally okay with people celebrating a persons death.

I don't even have a good reason for it other then I'm pretty sure that's something humans do.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Jay

Jay

A few pages late Sir.
Added at: 17:51
Wow, if that's true, then the guy is an evil prick and a coward. Oh, and also dead. Have I mentioned "good riddance"? :D
Wow, the last moment of his life was hiding behind "a woman". Figures.

Either rate, it's not like they would have given him ANY opportunity to escape.
Added at: 17:53

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I hope a picture emerges of an American tea-bagging Osama's corpse, that would make me lawl

Jay

Jay

I'm sure it exists.

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/bin-laden-used-woman-human-shield-us-official-191106863.html

Wow, if that's true, then the guy is an evil prick and a coward. Oh, and also dead. Have I mentioned "good riddance"?

Yeah. I hadn't seen it mentioned yet here. When I first heard that the woman was used as a shield, I thought "Wow! It may not have been OBL, but somebody in that house went down like a little bitch"

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

BREAKING NEWS: Chuck Norris safely back in America after overnight trip to Pakistan.

Mathias

Mathias

Yeah, putting words in his mouth is a great way to get him to reconsider his stance...

And i'm sure they where not celebrating the death of innocent people either, they where relieved that the US wasn't immune to retribution... and it was justifiable because the US is a threat to the muslim world etc.

Seriously, stop helping, you're just making him more secure in his snugness... (the irony is that he's as self righteous as the people he's criticising for being self righteous).

Shut up.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Espy

Espy

He looks SUPER airbrushed in that pic. Weird.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, that cover looks photoshopped.

I don't recall Bin Laden ever wearing a giant red X on his nose.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

BREAKING NEWS: Chuck Norris safely back in America after overnight trip to Pakistan.
Chuck Norris is far too much of a lying coward to make that trip. (He's fucked over family members, so the dislike is personal).

A toast to SEAL Team Six, who did make the trip. :D
Added at: 19:24
Same as
and

Jay

Jay

I wonder if the special forces soldiers answered "house keeping" when Bin Laden asked "who's there"?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I wonder if the special forces soldiers answered "house keeping" when Bin Laden asked "who's there"?
Candygram!

Gusto

Gusto

Don't know if anyone's seen this, but apparently the White House staffers watched the takedown live.

P050111PS-0210 by The White House, on Flickr

Hilary's expression is haunting.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I'm pretty sure it's a drawing. It doesn't look like a photo...

Edit: referring to the time cover. As in, it is not airbrushed. Did not realize there was another page with another photo above my post.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

The guy looking over the shoulder in the back looks TOTALLY photoshopped in, man!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's interesting how Obama's not front and centre in the photo, too. He's probably the least focal point of the picture, in fact.

Then again, if a similar scene were done on film, the president would be where the general is sitting.

Null

Null

Why is John Lithgow standing behind the USAF general?

Jiarn

I think you meant standing.... -wink-

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I swear that almost looks like Chris Hansen doing the over-the-shoulder look.

Null

Null

I swear that almost looks like Chris Hansen doing the over-the-shoulder look.
It will be when a SEAL team takes out Pedobear.

Wasabi Poptart

:rolleyes: I think the SEALs would have told Chuck to go have a seat and let the real men do their jobs.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

"Hello Mr. Bin Laden. Please have a seat over there."

Espy

Espy

Chuck Norris is far too much of a lying coward to make that trip. (He's fucked over family members, so the dislike is personal).
Okay how did I miss this story?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Okay how did I miss this story?
Probably because I didn't tell it.

Short version is Chuck made personal promises on two occasions that he did not live up to. After the second time, people involved said "fuck him," and moved on with their lives and commitments without Chuck.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Oh man, I didn't even think about all the possible documents and data that Bin laden might have had about al-Qaida plans worldwide. There are some cell leaders right now who are probably in a frenzy to get the fuck out of where ever they are at the moment.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I love Houston radio. The morning show I listened to after my iPod died was insinuating that this was a plot by Obama to knock the Pope Beatification stories off the front page news to appease his Muslim brothers. Theyyyyy weren't joking.

This thread went rull fast while I was at work.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Oh man, I didn't even think about all the possible documents and data that Bin laden might have had about al-Qaida plans worldwide. There are some cell leaders right now who are probably in a frenzy to get the fuck out of where ever they are at the moment.
For the intelligence community, yesterday was like Christmas. :)

General Specific

General Specific

Wasabi Poptart

A friend of mine, whose husband happens to be an Air Force officer, has her son dressed up in a Navy t-shirt today. She put a picture on FB. One of her other friends commented, "Huh? Why Navy and not Air Force? Or ARMY". I really want to reply with "They didn't send Rangers in to take out Bin Laden, did they?"

linglingface

linglingface

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Actually I'm a dolphin, ma'am.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Usama is an alternate spelling of his name :confused:

Mathias

Mathias

Usama is an alternate spelling of his name :confused:
I found you a hat!

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I really don't know what you're getting at. I'm a militant anti-white person by defending Fox News? I don't

blotsfan

blotsfan

LovelyBoehner you have company.
http://twitter.com/#!/R_Mendenhall

phil

phil

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

LovelyBoehner you have company.
http://twitter.com/#!/R_Mendenhall
well, at least I believe the Twin Towers were brought down by planes

Wasabi Poptart

Jiarn

That's fantastic Wasabi Poptart simply fantastic!

strawman

strawman

Probably already posted, but if not, Google maps now has Osama's compound listed as a hotel, and the reviews are hilarious.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?c...=UTF8&ll=34.170001,73.240702&spn=0,0&t=h&z=19

If the link doesn't work, just search google maps for "Osama Bin Laden's Hideout Compound"

:csi:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Man... Obama's face in the above pic looks rough. I can't imagine what it's like to give the order to make an assault like that, and then watch it as it happens.

Espy

Espy

Well, MLK once said, "To give an order that causes the death of one man or a million, causes the heart grief."

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Man... Obama's face in the above pic looks rough. I can't imagine what it's like to give the order to make an assault like that, and then watch it as it happens.
I'm pretty okay with that. I know it's a relatively new thing thanks to technology, but it's always bothered me that past presidents had the power to do this sort of thing without seeing the consequences.

Espy

Espy

I'm pretty okay with that. I know it's a relatively new thing thanks to technology, but it's always bothered me that past presidents had the power to do this sort of thing without seeing the consequences.
Are we sure that they aren't all watching the last season of Jersey Shore there? Because thats what I imagine them to look like if they were.

Emrys

Emrys

Their expressions don't hold enough disgust and horror for it to be Jersey Shore.

Gusto

Gusto

Also they ain't pumpin' they fists in the air.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Sorry, if you didn't want your emotional high ruined you really should have avoided the internet.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Are we sure that they aren't all watching the last season of Jersey Shore there? Because thats what I imagine them to look like if they were.
If they were watching the Jersey Shore, they would have had SEAL Team 6 "stop along the way", and another horrible blight on our country would be gone.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

You act like that's the first assassination he's ordered.

Espy

Espy

What other ones has he ordered and how do you define an assassination and a military strike?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Name one assassination he ordered. Words have meanings.

Espy

Espy

A questions so nice we had to ask it twice!

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Jay

Jay

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Of course it is debatable. He's still alive.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

No, I don't. Regardless of how many calls like that a president has to make, I don't imagine them getting easier.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Of course it is debatable. He's still alive.
Declaring him a legal target for targeted killing is pretty close to ordering it. That he's not dead yet doesn't change that.

Chibibar

Here is an interesting question. I know that in combat we (the U.S. anyways) usually spare the women and children. In the raid 1 died, but the other survived.
What IF...... what if the true mastermind was a woman? what if Bin Laden was just a figurehead? a "talking head" so to speak? would the U.S. shoot and skill a woman?

(note: nothing against women, but why does it have to be a man? I know some women who can be pretty vindictive and unforgiving)

Jay

Jay

Here is an interesting question. I know that in combat we (the U.S. anyways) usually spare the women and children. In the raid 1 died, but the other survived.
What IF...... what if the true mastermind was a woman? what if Bin Laden was just a figurehead? a "talking head" so to speak? would the U.S. shoot and skill a woman?

(note: nothing against women, but why does it have to be a man? I know some women who can be pretty vindictive and unforgiving)

???

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Candygram!
The local radio station did that joke today LOL

Covar

Covar

IF he's even dead...

dun dun DUN!!!

Espy

Espy

Still waiting on those definitions and other people Obama has had assassinated Charlie. This whole "dropping a crazy accusation and running" thing is starting to become a habit with you. If I didn't know better I'd say you are just trolling.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The us tries to spare non combatant civilians, gender has nothing to do with it. If a woman was a combatant, then yes, she would be a target just as anyone else would.

Jiarn

Still waiting on those definitions and other people Obama has had assassinated Charlie. This whole "dropping a crazy accusation and running" thing is starting to become a habit with you. If I didn't know better I'd say you are just trolling.
He never addresses when he's proven wrong (which is very very often). The sad part is, I think he actually believes what he writes. It's not even deliberate trolling, it's honestly the way he feels/thinks.

If he even responds to your post, he won't address the question you're asking, but the reason he didn't reply sooner (some of us have a life etc)

MindDetective

MindDetective

I see in TLB what i see in a couple of friends. They seek out confirmatory evidence for their beliefs to a degree greater than the rest of us. We ALL do it. But some people focus their efforts on what they agree with to a greater degree than the average person. I get that impression from TLB. Something that accompanies this is ignoring counter-examples or reasonable alternatives to their beliefs. Again, we all do this, so it is a matter of degree. It may mean that TLB is less interested in discussion than in hearing his own ideas echoed, even if it is off the walls of an empty room.

Wasabi Poptart

Why does it have to be a man? I think in this case where we are talking about Islamic extremists it boils down to the fact that in their culture women are the lowest in the social order. More than likely, no one in that culture would follow a woman.

Chibibar

IF he's even dead...

dun dun DUN!!!
Heh. Yea I'm sure the conspiracy theorist would believe that he is alive. Why bury at sea immediately? why not hold on to the body? or have a country bury him?
I personally believe keeping the body and having it buried might not be a good idea. Basically Bin Laden is a martyr to the Al-Qaida. Can you imagine have a place where they can flock and "give homage" to their great leader? Yea. Bad idea.

Gared

Gared

Not to mention a) Islamic law calls for the body to be buried within 24 hours and b) at least 3 of our Islamic-majority allies refused to take the body (can't remember the other two, but I do remember they asked Saudi Arabia to take it and they refused), or at least that's what initial reports said.

Wasabi Poptart

Another reason to bury him at sea was so there was no chance of tomb-raiding by either side.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

@Chibi: The US, and pretty much MOST modern military powers, have rules of engagement that prohibit the deliberate targetting of non-combatants. However, were a combatant to be a woman or child, that changes nothing.

We had a situation down here where a 10 year old attempted to take a knife to one of my partners. He was 2 seconds away from getting a Black Talon hollowpoint to the head, before his family scooped him up.

Age and gender mean nothing in combat. Actions mean everything. Remember that scene in Blackhawk Down where the child militia member came up trying to shoot the Ranger, but his AK jammed? Yeah, he would have been drilled. I would have felt bad about it later, but I would have been ALIVE to feel that way.

Covar

Covar

Added at: 16:32
I'm sorry.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I brought that one up, TLB. Dunno if Little Smokey saw it.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I brought that one up, TLB. Dunno if Little Smokey saw it.
I saw, that link also has more commentary and other links to some more information.

strawman

strawman

Honestly what's new is likely to be the fact that people found out. Either the administration decided to go for a little more transparency, or they slipped up.

But if you think no prior president has permitted the military to compile lists of targets, both foreign and domestic, citizen or otherwise, that they are permitted to kill on sight, then I applaud your optimism, and hope you never lose it.

Of course, prior presidents were prudent and careful enough that such things were kept secret.

Wasabi Poptart

Of course, prior presidents were prudent and careful enough that such things were kept secret.
And I also believe in the past the public didn't expect to be kept abreast of such things either.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Are you seriously criticizing Obama for not being sleazy enough?

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Are you seriously...

You know what, fuck it. Being trolled by TLB is like sandblasting a soup cracker.

Jiarn

He's good at his self-delusions. Years of practice etc etc

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I went to the bar and asked the bartender for an Osama Bin Laden
He gave me two shots and a splash of water.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

:rimshot:
Ugh! :facepalm:

Gusto

Gusto

Goddamnit.

Jiarn

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I think he should release the death photo. Do I believe he's dead? Yes, most certainly. Do I still want to see the photo? Oh hell yes I want to see him missing a piece of his skull, but I'm a bit morbid and I just want it because fuck that guy.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I think he should release the death photo. Do I believe he's dead? Yes, most certainly. Do I still want to see the photo? Oh hell yes I want to see him missing a piece of his skull, but I'm a bit morbid and I just want it because fuck that guy.
And that's one reason why it's a good idea not to. Because many Americans would display it like a head on a pike.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Let me give you a little backstory DarkAudit, July 27th 2001 I joined the Navy I was in basic during 9/11 and the most I heard about any of it was at the end of the day, probably about 5pm they gathered us all and was like hey terrorist attacked the WTC, the Pentagon and a plane went down in a field, if anyone has family that works in the WTC you can call them. That was it, that was all the information we got, hell I didn't see anything about 9/11 until after I was out of basic it was probably a few months after I was out of basic before I even saw the video of the planes hitting the towers. I personally feel like I deserve to see those photo's, and yes that is a bit morbid, but I've fought for my country and I feel that this would be the greatest payment that I could receive, its worth in my eyes is beyond monetary value. but that is just my opinion.
Added at: 20:08
Hey What was Bin Laden's least favorite part of Sea World?
The trained seals

So Starbucks has a limited edition coffee
the 'Bin Latte' - dark bodied, frothy head, with two shots in it

Wasabi Poptart

Personally I'm glad the White House decided to withhold the photo. Last thing I would want is for those pics to end up as the next internet meme with tasteless jokes plastered on them in Comic Sans. I don't care who he killed or what kind of horrific person he was, there still should be some sort of respect for the dead.
Added at: 15:32
And yes, I know "they" didn't respect our citizens or military members. But in my eyes that means we should try even harder to show someone like Bin Laden respect now that he's dead. We, as a country and supposed civil society, are better than dragging bodies through the streets, burning flags and hanging effigies.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

so if the meme was in Arial it'd be ok?

Jiarn

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Upgrade photobucket today!

strawman

strawman

Mathias

Mathias

Let me give you a little backstory DarkAudit, July 27th 2001 I joined the Navy I was in basic during 9/11 and the most I heard about any of it was at the end of the day, probably about 5pm they gathered us all and was like hey terrorist attacked the WTC, the Pentagon and a plane went down in a field, if anyone has family that works in the WTC you can call them. That was it, that was all the information we got, hell I didn't see anything about 9/11 until after I was out of basic it was probably a few months after I was out of basic before I even saw the video of the planes hitting the towers. I personally feel like I deserve to see those photo's, and yes that is a bit morbid, but I've fought for my country and I feel that this would be the greatest payment that I could receive, its worth in my eyes is beyond monetary value. but that is just my opinion.
Added at: 20:08
Hey What was Bin Laden's least favorite part of Sea World?
The trained seals

So Starbucks has a limited edition coffee
the 'Bin Latte' - dark bodied, frothy head, with two shots in it

I'm from New York. My old room overlooked lower Manhattan across the bay. I don't care too see those pictures. I don't feel like I need to see them to have piece of mind. 3.000 people are still dead, my favorite buildings are still no more, and the NYC skyline is still not the same.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I don't need the pictures for peace of mind I don't want them to make it a meme I just want to see them

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

You can't always get what you want.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Do we REALLY need the ruined face of Osama Bin Laden plastered on t-shirts, mugs, balloons, and other knickknacks? Because that's exactly what's going to happen when those photos get out (and they WILL get out eventually). If Americans do anything well, it's turn a buck, even if they do it in bad taste.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Do we REALLY need the ruined face of Osama Bin Laden plastered on t-shirts, mugs, balloons, and other knickknacks? Because that's exactly what's going to happen when those photos get out (and they WILL get out eventually). If Americans do anything well, it's turn a buck, even if they do it in bad taste.
Can't argue with that

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Can't argue with that
But I'll take the mug, TYVM...

Espy

Espy

You just earned 10 points for a good and timely Rolling Stones reference.

Krisken

Krisken

You just earned 10 points for a good and timely Rolling Stones reference.
Yeah, but Espy points aren't redeemable at Whole Foods.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen who is Quiet

I've been hoarding them for nothing?!

Jiarn

Hilarious that you think they won't be out by the end of the year.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

AQ Senior Leader surrenders. More like this, please. The fewer of our guys who get put in harm's way to get this done, the better.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, but Espy points aren't redeemable at Whole Foods.
Not yet but we are in talks.
I've been hoarding them for nothing?!
Instead of thinking of it as "for nothing" instead try and think of it as "for everything".

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Also, apparently they used a new stealth helicopter. :ninja:

Krisken

Krisken

Not yet but we are in talks.

Instead of thinking of it as "for nothing" instead try and think of it as "for everything".
Damn you, baby hipster!

strawman

strawman

I read a lot about this yesterday - more (much more!) details here:

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...anywhere-in-a-country-without-official-knowle

AQ Senior Leader surrenders. More like this, please. The fewer of our guys who get put in harm's way to get this done, the better.
On the on hand, he was unarmed, and so it could have appeared to be purely an assasination. On the other hand, reports indicate he made threatening moves - and quite frankly with suicide bombers and IEDs on one's mind, any move that isn't standing stock still with your hands visible in the air is threatening.

Either way, I bet a lot of lower value targets are looking at their options, and see death in their near future if they aren't very proactive about surrendering.

This is a good thing. I don't think anyone is anxious to become the public replacement for Bin Laden, and the new face of Al Qaida...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

He could be one to the SEALs that went in...

It is not him but there was a doggled dog that went in with the insertion team. Strapped to the chest of one of the SEALs. How bad ass is it to drop a German Shepherd or Belgian Malinois from a friggen stealth chopper. '

"Osama? do you hear a dog barking?"

drifter

drifter

Also not the dog, but cool anyway.

Mathias

Mathias

I thought they used Blackhawks?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Blackhawks that have some stealth features to lessen noise and radar returns. Just more stealthy not really stealthy.

strawman

strawman

The new stealth helis appear to be heavily modified blackhawks, so in a sense - yes.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

For that guy on skeptics... There was likely a F/A-18 Growler flying overhead that killed the electricity in the neighborhood and blinded the radar coverage of Pakistan.

Also it is really hard to track a normal chopper flying at 100'

strawman

strawman

Obama's birth certificate turned out to be Osama'a last horcrux.

Espy

Espy

Obama's birth certificate turned out to be Osama'a last horcrux.
I like this way more than I should.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I had to look it up...

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Noam Chomsky has weighed in. Always a very interesting read.

http://www.guernicamag.com/blog/2652/noam_chomsky_my_reaction_to_os/

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

As much as I respect Noam Chomsky as a linguist, I have to admit his political opinions are more than a little jarring to me.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I don't even like Chomsky as a linguist, to be honest.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

While I get where he's coming from, I have a tough time taking seriously anyone who doesn't source his interpretation of news events in this day and age.

His point on not knowing for certain who was responsible is quite true, but there is a difference between saying "Bin Laden was responsible" and "al-Qaeda is responsible". The FBI knew almost immediately that the hijackers were members of AQ. It was Bin Laden's direct connection that didn't get verified until he took responsibility in 2004. Which was 7 years ago.

To the crux of it, was his death legal? It's a good question, and it needs to be investigated and established that it was, but again, when Chomsky doesn't bother to back up his claims that it wasn't, it's hard to take him seriously on this topic.

Also, this is just stupid:

It’s like naming our murder weapons after victims of our crimes: Apache, Tomahawk… It’s as if the Luftwaffe were to call its fighter planes “Jew” and “Gypsy.”
While the treatment of American Indian tribes by the US government/colonists is an undeniable shameful black mark upon our history that has still not been fully redressed, naming weapons 100 years later after a warrior culture that thousands, possibly millions, of Americans proudly trace their roots back to is not the same as the Nazis naming planes after people they were currently systematically trying to exterminate.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I don't even like Chomsky as a linguist, to be honest.
Yeah, what kind of a word us Chomsky

Baerdog

Baerdog

It sounds like a brand of bagels.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

While the treatment of American Indian tribes by the US government/colonists is an undeniable shameful black mark upon our history that has still not been fully redressed, naming weapons 100 years later after a warrior culture that thousands, possibly millions, of Americans proudly trace their roots back to is not the same as the Nazis naming planes after people they were currently systematically trying to exterminate.
You're right, it's not the same, because we did successfully exterminate Native Americans.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

You're right, it's not the same, because we did successfully exterminate Native Americans.
No, you didn't.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

To our shame, we certainly did. You must have missed the part of my post where I mentioned that we haven't redressed it yet.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

To our shame, we certainly did. You must have missed the part of my post where I mentioned that we haven't redressed it yet.
Uh, hello! Right here? -.-

Krisken

Krisken

I don't know what this "we" shit is, I was born in 1976.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

I don't know what this "we" shit is, I was born in 1976.
You're 'white' Krisken, so you're guilty by association.*

*Completely ludicrous claim.

Krisken

Krisken

You're 'white' Krisken, so you're guilty by association.*

*Completely ludicrous claim.
:) Indeed. I also have some Menomonee tribe in me, so I must be a self hater.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

We. As a nation, as a people. For all your needling me about it, y'all have a victim complex.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I... just.... what... God... FFFFFFFUUUU....

HOW? EVERY FREAKIN' TIME? HOW THE HELL?!

Also, Cherokee and Chippewa here. DEAL WITH IT.

Piotyr

Piotyr

We. As a nation, as a people.
Except the non-caucasians and the women.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Well, it's true that only white landowning males were making important decisions back when we slaughtered the Native Americans.

MindDetective

MindDetective

So was it was the intent of the Person in Charge to mock or violate the native american cultures by naming military vehicles after them? Huh.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Uh, hello! Right here? -.-
Apologies, I felt that arguing with TLB as to degrees of extermination was just a fail way to go. Of course it's more nuanced than that.
Added at: 16:36
So was it was the intent of the Person in Charge to mock or violate the native american cultures by naming military vehicles after them? Huh.
According to Chomsky, and apparently TLB, it is. Which says a whole hell of a lot right there.

Krisken

Krisken

And the people who immigrated after all the land was already taken.
Added at: 15:54

Shit if I know, man.

Wasabi Poptart

Chickasaw via my great-great grandma.

figmentPez

figmentPez

It sounds like a brand of bagels.
Chompski Bagels _ the Linguists Choice.png

Piotyr

Piotyr

And the people who immigrated after all the land was already taken.
But if you exclude them, you'd almost have to exclude anyone who was born after the land was already taken, but clearly that wasn't his intention. It's just so much easier to blame based on gender and race.

Jiarn

Yeah, also, don't try and call him out on his obvious trolling. You'll get an infraction. -eyeroll-

He's trying too hard in this thread anyway.

Gusto

Gusto

Yeah, also, don't try and call him out on his obvious trolling. You'll get an infraction. -eyeroll-

He's trying too hard in this thread anyway.
You got a warning.

QQ moar.

Jiarn

Would argue, but don't want to get in trouble. -wink-

Krisken

Krisken

Would argue, but don't want to get in trouble. -wink-
I'm liking all your posts, Jiarn, out of solidarity and stuff.

Gusto

Gusto

U-Union...?

Bones

Bones

well krisken is from Wisconsin were unions are being outlawed.

Krisken

Krisken

well krisken is from Wisconsin were unions are being outlawed.
Certainly looks that way.

Tress

Tress

You got a warning.

QQ moar.
Huh. I didn't know warning was spelled i-n-f-r-a-c-t-i-o-n. See, 'cuz I went back and looked at the post in question, and sure enough it said "infraction" underneath.

By the way, you can't give me an infraction for this post. The rules are if you post things in a snarky, self-righteous way while belittling other people's opinions, then you are untouchable. Anyone who complains about my troll attempt would get an infraction, though.

:p

Gusto

Gusto

Hey, lookit that, it says infraction under your post too! :awesome:

Bones

Bones

OH SNAP, its getting all serious in here! we need chuck norris now!

Tress

Tress

Hey, lookit that, it says infraction under your post too! :awesome:

Totally worth it.

Gusto

Gusto

Hm. Nowhere in the text of the PM that gets sent does it actually SAY it's a warning. You just don't get any infraction points, which I'm not sure normal users can see anyways... That's disconcerting.

Anyway, this thread has gone off topic for far too long, so consider it closed.