Bin laden is dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
Added at: 21:51
Also, interesting timing, given Obama's approval rating and such. His re-election chances just skyrocketed.

Wait, so it was us that actually got him just now? My friend in the army said it was the general assumption that he was already dead.

figmentPez

Staff member
Wait, so it was us that actually got him just now? My friend in the army said it was the general assumption that he was already dead.
Obviously he's been kept in a freezer until now, when it's the right time to help out Obama's reelection campaign. :awesome:

J

Jiarn

It's not about ending terrorism, that'll never happen. It's about the huge psychological blow to the terrorist nation as a whole and the demoralization of possible future terrorists that idolized him. It's about no longer needing such a huge military presence on the US's part and getting a large number of our troops back.

This is important, everyone take note. This is one of the few times in history that the United States media will care about or report on the death of a brown person.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Well, as a fellow Navy wife pointed out, we may have won this battle but there is still a war.

The dude headed an organization that attacked more than the U.S. He attacked embassies around the world. He also gave anyone who studied the Qur'an a bad name.

He organized the deaths of thousands of people, possibly tens of thousands if you count worldwide. I can partly understand his reasoning (the U.S. sticking their nose in the Middle East and bombing the hell out of it for decades) but he still organized countless terrorist attacks.

This ain't just about the U.S. This is about the death of one evil fucker.

Sorry, Charlie, the imagined sound of a horrible chapter in our history finally, just maybe, hopefully, starting to close is drowning out my ability to hear cynical snark that's completely unworthy of the current moment.

And now I'm sure Al-Qaeda will just topple like a house of cards. Like a bunch of dominoes.

Like dual towers of Jenga.

Also, does this mean we can forget now?

Sorry I'm not chanting USA and slapping each other's backs over how cool our country is
No. You're just wrong. As many others have pointed out, this is a big deal. It doesn't make up for everything that has happened, but its a damn good thing. Regardless of what the US has done, he still was a terrible person. Don't try to piss people off or use this as a way to make yourself feel smart because honestly, you're not. Even if this doesn't make a difference in terms of what happens, it is still a major achievement for the US. It was our goal. Give your ego a boost somewhere else, but not here.

W

Wasabi Poptart

You know, I can't even see this as a good thing. I am honestly scared to see what happens next. I highly doubt this man has no successor. His followers remind me of the kind of people who drink laced Kool-aid because God wants them to do it. I don't think they are going to lay down and just take it. I am afraid for my family and friends who serve this country. You won't catch me celebrating, flag waving, or being rah-rah USA. In my mind, this is just the beginning.

J

Jiarn

You know, I can't even see this as a good thing. I am honestly scared to see what happens next. I highly doubt this man has no successor. His followers remind me of the kind of people who drink laced Kool-aid because God wants them to do it. I don't think they are going to lay down and just take it. I am afraid for my family and friends who serve this country. You won't catch me celebrating, flag waving, or being rah-rah USA. In my mind, this is just the beginning.
I agree to an extent. There will be retaliations, but they will be lessened as the time passes. Our presence in the Arab countries will lessen. Our involvement in those countries will lessen. It is the beginning of the end.

These aren't my words, but they sum up how I feel:

I would preferred him to have continued to live in obscurity because now, because of this utterly symbolic, meaningless "victory", two depraved wars and the domestic suppression of civil liberties are going to be sold as justified, patriotic fervor and jingoism will further distract the US populace from the architects of their economic/life miseries, defense spending will continue to skyrocket, wars will be escalated, and the truly dangerous extremists we purport to combat will be emboldened by our senseless, creepy jubilation. There is nothing to cheer for here. This is bad for everybody.
I don't mourn him. I don't mourn Hitler. He was evil and murderous and spread pain throughout the world on a large scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.