[Movies] Best Movies of 2015

I've only seen Furious 7 among these movies, but I'm not sure it should be counted as one of the year's best. It's a thrilling movie, sure, but the plot holes, oh god the plot holes.

For my part, among the movies I've seen that were released this year, I'd say I liked Inside Out best.

My top 5 theater-going experiences this year were:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Mad Max: Fury Road
3. Mad Max: Fury Road
4. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
5. Mad Max: Fury Road

I didn't include one of the times we saw Mad Max: Fury Road because of the morons who brought a baby to the loud R-rated movie.

Magic Mike at #2? Really?
Really. It's a pretty great and unique* movie

*yea, even compared to the first one[DOUBLEPOST=1450802266,1450802210][/DOUBLEPOST]
My top 5 theater-going experiences this year were:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Mad Max: Fury Road
3. Mad Max: Fury Road
4. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
5. Mad Max: Fury Road

I didn't include one of the times we saw Mad Max: Fury Road because of the morons who brought a baby to the loud R-rated movie.

I was going to make a joke that half of the "top 5s" will be multiple listings of Mad Max and Star Wars, lol

Dave

Staff member
I find your list suspect. No "Inside Out", no "The Martian", no "Shaun the Sheep", no "What We Do in the Shadows".

I would think there are several better movies than Magic Mike XXL. I'll admit I didn't see it, but it even has a 63% Rotten Tomatoes score. You may be the only person in the world to have that in your top 5.

I find your list suspect. No "Inside Out", no "The Martian", no "Shaun the Sheep", no "What We Do in the Shadows".

I would think there are several better movies than Magic Mike XXL. I'll admit I didn't see it, but it even has a 63% Rotten Tomatoes score. You may be the only person in the world to have that in your top 5.
I haven't seen any of those 4 yet! but 3 of them are on my list (sorry sheep movie).

but a few other people really loved Magic Mike XXL, here's a quote from a favorite review of mine: http://letterboxd.com/labuzamovies/film/magic-mike-xxl/
But no sequence feels more revelatory than a long digression into a Southern mansion run by Jada-Pickett Smith. At her mansion, female "queens" line the rooms as strippers improvise their balletic choreography, occasionally picking women from the sidelines to indulge in the feeling of truly being pleased. However, this sequence is probably most notable that beyond Mike and his gang, all the strippers and clientele are black. And they are beautiful. Shooting on RED, Jacobs and Soderbergh scale the entire sequence on a blue and red color grade, eliminating the yellows that were key to distinguishing whiteness in 35mm (and which Soderbergh has used to distinguish blackness in the race-conscious The Knick). Everything in the frame takes on purple qualities, making each man and woman look gorgeous. Digital photography has often been spoken of as a medium better for capturing night than day, but rarely have I seen it used for the way it can correct the injustice of 35mm's treatment of black bodies (the only other example that pops to mind is the "Diamonds" sequence in Girlhood). The ability to use lighting to highlight the beauty of black bodies returns in the finale, as Tatum and African American Stephen Boss create a mirror image on stage—these bodies are entirely equal in talent and sexuality. Everyone is beautiful in Magic Mike XXL, regardless of sex, gender, race, body type, orientation. This is perhaps the most revolutionary act of a mainstream summer movie in years.

I didn't see Shaun the Sheep but both of my kids and my parents hated it. Which doesn't mean much really, but *shrug*

That rather neatly explains your ranking.
here's the other part of the review that explains that statement, i dunno if the links will carry over right
"In the history of photography and film, getting the right image meant getting ones that conformed to the prevalent ideas of humanity. This included whiteness, of what colour—what range of hue—white people wanted white people to be....Movie lighting assume, privilege, and construct whiteness" —Richard Dyer,"Lighting For Whiteness"
The history of Hollywood in many ways is the history of the construction of whiteness. This goes beyond simply films that have depicted African Americans in stereotypes or margnizaled their roles in cinema but its material essence: celluloid was developed to favor light skin tones to dark skin tones. "In black-and-white films, cinematographers usually took white skin as the norm, employing lighting and laboratory practices that could reliably produce a certain image of whiteness," Patrick Keating argues. When Technicolor came along, its three hues were designed to capture white actors who had makeup to create "exotic" depictions of race than those with naturally darker pigmentation. When Lena Horne appeared in her first film, MGM developed a special "Light Egyptian" makeup to push her toward whiteness, and thus "beauty" as cinema's own materials had determined. As Genevieve Yue's work on the "China Girl" phenomenon has shown, whiteness is in the DNA of 35mm.

FWIW, I thought Fifth Element was an absolutely brilliant movie, but not because of the plot, it was because of the cinematography, the art direction, etc.
So I can understand why someone might think MMXXL is "a great movie" but still only give it a 70%.

--Patrick

I was going to make a joke that half of the "top 5s" will be multiple listings of Mad Max and Star Wars, lol
I considered having a disclaimer that I haven't seen The Hateful 8 yet, but since it doesn't actually go wide release until January 8 and my locals aren't selected for special Christmas screenings, that'll have to wait.

I wanted to see The Man from UNCLE, was going to go when my dad visited, but then I thought he'd rather spend time with me conversing and hanging out instead of going to the movies. I was wrong. :(

I haven't seen Magic Mike XXL, but Charlie is not the first person I've heard speak of it that highly.

I've only seen 3 movies from this year so...
1. Star Wars
2. Mad Max
3. Avengers

I know Mad Max is a better movie, but I'm a complete sucker for Star Wars. I want to see Chiraq and Hateful 8, but I think I already missed my chance with the former, and the latter won't be here until 2016 I think.

I think a few of us here have the "too few movies" issue for 2015, so that between top 5 and bottom 5 there's bound to be some unintended overlap.

The yin to the other thread's yang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_film#2015_films here could be a start for stuff that's been released! I'm far from finished watching movies this year, but here is my top 5 (out of 32 so far)

5) Furious 7
4) The Revenant
3) Mad Max Fury Road
2) Magic Mike XXL
1) The Man From UNCLE
Man from UNCLE? I liked it but it it really didn't do much for me otherwise. Curious why it's your favorite.

My list (missing The Hateful Eight, which probably would land on my list knowing how much I love Tarantino movies, but I just haven't seen it yet)

1. Mad Max (I've literally watched this six times since my first screening)
2. Creed
3. Ex Machina
4. Spy
5. Sicario

It's just a really well-executed throwback sexy spy story. It was a perfect homage without treating the audience like an idiot. If we have to have endless remakes and reboots, it was the platonic ideal of how to make one and still have fun.

Hmmm, I'm not even sure I have seen that many new movies this year.. Most were very enjoyable, but I wouldn't exactly call them top-op-the-list good (Furious 7, Spectre, Avengers, etc.). Although I could make a top 3 of sorts (no idea on the order though):

The Martian
Inside Out
Kingsman (it came out in 2015 here, so I'm counting it :p)

Here's my "Wow, I have VERY different tastes from the rest of you" list.

It Follows
Southpaw
Victor Frankenstein
Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl
Paper Towns
American Ultra

Disclaimer: I see a lot of movies, but I sometimes miss big ones like The Martian. There may be better movies that I just haven't watched yet.

A number of well-spoken for horror movies came out this year that I've yet to see. It Follows, Goodnight Mommy, and Krampus are movies I have to make efforts for sometime soon.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not sure I saw 5 movies this year... uhhh...

Well, Mad Max, obviously.
Inside Out was really good.
I really liked Ant Man.
Kingsman was good too
The Martian was well done.

Well, what do you know, I did see some movies this year.

Honorable mentions go to Straight Outta Compton and Star Wars.

And yes, all of those were better than Star Wars IMO. The above were all 4 stars, Star Wars was a solid 3.

You thought Antman was better than Star Wars? Wow. I liked it ok initially but after thinking on it a lot of the story really didn't hold up for me.

My top 5, in no particular order.

Star Wars - will see it twice before the year's out
Ant-Man - saw it three times
The Martian - it's not often you see a sci-fi movie that ISN'T set in a crapsack future
Avengers 2 - three times here too
Inside Out - saw it twice and will get on blu-ray

You thought Antman was better than Star Wars? Wow. I liked it ok initially but after thinking on it a lot of the story really didn't hold up for me.
I think Ant Man beats Star Wars for me too, but mostly because Force Awakens was just too unoriginal. I'll forgive it if the next movie is awesome, but I'm still I the fence with how I feel about it.

The more I thought about Antman the more frustrated I got. I'm not going to ruin it for anyone but there is a lot of sexism and inconsistencies in the story

If Force Awakens had been a stand alone movie not tied to another popular franchise, I might have liked it better. As it was, I could mostly predict it lockstep, so I liked it less than I might have.

These are my top 5 movies of the year (note: the 5 I most enjoyed, not necessarily the 5 I think are best)

5: Creed
4: Kingsmen
3: Straight Outta Compton
2: Mad Max: Fury Road
1: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Do I think The Force Awakens was the best movie of those 5? No. Do I think those 5 were the best overall of the year? Not necessarily. But they brought me the most enjoyment. I also don't see a lot of movies, and haven't yet seen The Martian or The Hateful Eight, though I'm willing to bet I would love both.

Here's my final list I guess, I probably won't squeeze another in today before the new year clicks over. Although I'll still see some 2015 releases, no doubt in my mind.

1.Creed ★★★★★
2.The Man from U.N.C.L.E. ★★★★½
3.Mad Max: Fury Road ★★★★½
4.Bridge of Spies ★★★★½
5.Magic Mike XXL ★★★★
6.Crimson Peak ★★★★
7.Spotlight ★★★★
8.The Revenant ★★★★
9.The Hateful Eight ★★★★
**LINE OF GREAT**
10.Jupiter Ascending ★★★★½
11.Kingsman: The Secret Service ★★★½
12.Furious 7 ★★★★
13.Ant-Man ★★★½
14.The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water ★★★★
15.San Andreas ★★★
16.Spy ★★★½
17.Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation ★★★
18.Sicario ★★★½
19.A Deadly Adoption ★★★★
**LINE OF REALLY GOOD AND FUN**
20.Star Wars: The Force Awakens ★★★
21.The Last Five Years ★★★½
22.Trainwreck ★★½
23.American Ultra ★★★
24.The Transporter Refueled ★★★
25.Poltergeist ★★★½
26.Avengers: Age of Ultron ★★½
27.Pitch Perfect 2 ★★½
28.Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 ★★★
29.Mortdecai ★★½
**LINE OF MEDIOCRE**
30.Ted 2 ★★
31.The Boy Next Door ★★★
32.Fantastic Four ★½
33.Hitman: Agent 47 ★★½
**LINE OF BAD**
34.The Gallows ★½
35.Hot Tub Time Machine 2 ★½
36.Aloha ★½
37.Taken 3 ★★
38.Terminator Genisys ★★
39.Jurassic World ★½
40.Minions ★
**LINE OF JUST ENTIRELY WORTHLESS**

Cajungal

Staff member
One of my favorite podcast people was in A Deadly Adoption! I watched it just because of him--the wife's food stand assistant guy, whatever his name was. Bryan Safi. I love him.

B

BErt

I was gonna chime in here earlier, but I have no concept of time anymore and didn't want to look stupid on a couple of my picks. I wasn't sure if they came out this year or last. But since they showed up on other peoples lists, I'm doing this:

5) It Follows
4) Kingsmen
3)Creed
2) Mad Max
1) Star Wars

...there were just a lot of incredible movies this year, I think we all win.

I saw 7 movies with my son this year and didn't really dislike any of them (I generally will only go to a movie if I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the experience). My 7 in order of enjoyment:

1. Creed
2. The Force Awakens
3. Inside Out
4. Ant Man
5. Jurassic World
6. Peanuts movie
7. Minions

Son's list in order:
1. Minions
2. Peanuts
3. Ant Man
4. Creed