Ban every gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly enough, the Israeli government provides uzis to its populace. If the sole impetus of violent crime is guns, shouldn't they have something approaching our level of shootings?
Yeah, but most of them live in constant fear that their own neighborhood might become part of the warzone. I think it's fundamentally different.

GasBandit

Staff member
[DOUBLEPOST=1344010470][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, but most of them live in constant fear that their own neighborhood might become part of the warzone. I think it's fundamentally different.
You mean there are other variables in play in any given situation other than just whether or not there are guns? Shocking.

But actually, that shouldn't have any bearing at all, if the premise is that more guns = more murder. If things are almost a war zone, shouldn't there be more guns AND more murder?

No, no, no, I think what's being said is that if you take away all the guns in Israel, then gun related fatalities in the region would go down.

ElJuski

Staff member
and Halforums proves once again how far it can stick its head up its own ass in regards to the realities of US politics

at the end of this the police won't have guns either like in the UK.

also, I was joking about Murder-By-Cop being the spike in our gun deaths
but the police do kill a lot of people, and they don't need guns to do it! A Houston man died by tazer earlier this week whose crime was being sick and "scary" (read: a minority)

Interestingly enough, the Israeli government provides uzis to its populace. If the sole impetus of violent crime is guns, shouldn't they have something approaching our level of shootings?
If the sole impetus of violent crime is guns
Nobody but Charlie and you (repeatedly) have made that claim. You constantly try to make the argument of your opponents into this, so that you can oppose it, but that's just cheap and easy (like UR MOM HARHAR). On the opposite side, Charlie thinks all guns are always bad and evil, giving you an easy opponent, too.

How about admitting, for once, that easy availability of guns (in all variations) has an impact on the number of accidental fatalities and fatalities during robberies/home invasions? I'm not asking you to say the government should control them, if you think the trade-off is worth it for your right to defend yourself I'll leave you to it - but can you, for once, say that, in a perfect world where there are no guns, less people would die? Perhaps there'd be more burglaries (not in Europe, but hey), perhaps all terrorism would be done with gas and microbes instead (not exactly the case right now in Europe either, but anyway), perhaps the government will come in and dominate all you poor Americans into slavery because, without guns, there's no possible way to fight back (lolwut) - whatever, I'm not arguing for or against.
I'm just wondering if you'd be willing to admit that, in general, an abundance of guns (in badly-trained hands, too) is dangerous.

GasBandit

Staff member
Nobody but Charlie and you (repeatedly) have made that claim.
... I thought that was the issue at hand? Or did I misread the thread title?[DOUBLEPOST=1344017790][/DOUBLEPOST]
How about admitting, for once, that easy availability of guns (in all variations) has an impact on the number of accidental fatalities and fatalities during robberies/home invasions?
It might. It probably does. It's hard to say to what degree, as was posted earlier removing the tool doesn't necessarily remove the murder.[DOUBLEPOST=1344017877][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm just wondering if you'd be willing to admit that, in general, an abundance of guns (in badly-trained hands, too) is dangerous.
Well, phrased THAT way (as in a loaded question) nobody would deny an "abundance of guns in badly trained hands" is dangerous. But couldn't that also be argued as a deficiency in training?

at the end of this the police won't have guns either like in the UK.

also, I was joking about Murder-By-Cop being the spike in our gun deaths
but the police do kill a lot of people, and they don't need guns to do it! A Houston man died by tazer earlier this week whose crime was being sick and "scary" (read: a minority)
1. Who is going to take the guns from the cops when the criminals still hold theirs? The Zetas and Gambinos are going to be harder to disarm than the gun-nuts.
2. The English cops are carrying guns more and more often.
3. I guess being sick did not have anything at all to do with the guy dying. Or his fighting the paramedics off...

But couldn't that also be argued as a deficiency in training?
Sure. I've argued that exact same thing in the past - I don't remember if it was this thread or one of the other ones - I said a draft/enforced civil service wuld allow everyone to have some basic training with a gun and would probably reduce gun accidents. Israel and Finland come to mind as coutries with a draft system, and more weapons, but much lower gun death rates. It's against the Consitution and whatever, so not the solution for the USA, but hey.

Well, phrased THAT way (as in a loaded question) nobody would deny an "abundance of guns in badly trained hands" is dangerous. But couldn't that also be argued as a deficiency in training?
And a deficiency of responsibility as well. The Spider-Man rule ("With great power...") definitely comes into play.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
It's against the Consitution and whatever, so not the solution for the USA, but hey.
Wait, what's against the constitution? Cause I know I for one had to register for the draft when I turned 18, and there are firearm training safety courses available all over the place.

Wait, what's against the constitution? Cause I know I for one had to register for the draft when I turned 18, and there are firearm training safety courses available all over the place.
Then I'm misusing a word somewhere. Obligated 2 year military service between school and college?

There is nothing in the Constitution regarding obligatory military service, one way or the other. We just haven't had a draft in 40 years since the Vietnam War made it a dirty word.

GasBandit

Staff member
I had firearm training at summer camp of all things (little 22 cal rifles). I'm not sure that's still done today. But we could sure use some training regimen.

The best training that I've had was from my Dad.

Every gun is loaded, don't point a gun at something you don't want to destroy.

Then the next good piece came from reading an article about the Mt. Carmel Siege. It was a picture of an ATF officer standing around "WITH HIS FINGER ON THE TRIGGER!" Yeah, don't do that either. Only put your finger on the trigger when you have your target picked out. I saw a cop with 40+ years experience do that and he damn near killed himself when he fired the shotgun straight into the air.[DOUBLEPOST=1344020863][/DOUBLEPOST]and,

The best safety on a gun is the one between your ears.

My apologies, I misremembered. You said it was in a draft for the Constitution, but didn't make the final cut. My bad.

In that case, giving everyone a few years of military practice with guns might go a long way in reducing your casualties due to guns being mishandled.

GasBandit

Staff member
My apologies, I misremembered. You said it was in a draft for the Constitution, but didn't make the final cut. My bad.

In that case, giving everyone a few years of military practice with guns might go a long way in reducing your casualties due to guns being mishandled.
Ah, yes, the first draft of the 2nd amendment did have a no-conscription clause. I agree though that a national firearm training program would be beneficial and a much better use of federal dollars than quite a bit of what they're doing now.

I had firearm training at summer camp of all things (little 22 cal rifles). I'm not sure that's still done today. But we could sure use some training regimen.
I think this is why other countries with high gun ownership rates (Israel, I think Finland or Sweden, Russia) don't have it quite so bad: They have "mandatory" (you can get out of it) military service. So you get all the rules of gun ownership crammed into your head during basic training and not knowing it by heart isn't an option unless you feel like getting your ass kicked by the drill sergeant. This leads to a large percentage of gun owners not treating them like toys or unstoppable death machines.

So our general consensus is everyone should have a gun and be trained on its use?
Hmm, no....I think the consensus would be more something along the lines of limited gun ownership/use is acceptable, if the owners are properly trained in its use. "Everyone should have one" is only you and 5 other people who think so. Hint: those are mr Smith, mr Wesson, mr Herstal, mr Winchester and mr Colt.*

*I'm aware Herstal is a small city, where the first factory was located. Winchester isn't the original owner's name either. I don't think either S&W or Colt are still owned by someoen by the name. And I'm aware there are lots of people who think everyone should own a gun. It's a joke. Lighten up.

Status
Not open for further replies.