Ban every gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasBandit

Staff member
i disagree. He shot 5 people, he was trying to kill. Suicide by cop is normally done by threats and threatening actions alone.
Perhaps murder-suicide by cop. I don't see how he expected to survive the ordeal.

In unrelated news, I just noticed by quoting you that your user number is 404. Are you missing?

Necronic

Staff member
Yeah, I posted it right as the news came out. Didn't realize there was already a thread about it so I put it in here. Really wasn't an appropriate place for it either.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh thank god, it wasn't really a shooting on campus
Hi, Mr. Passive Aggressive sarcasm. Yes, that's an important distinction. Calling something an on-campus shooting when it isn't falsely implies the endangerment of untold numbers of college students. IE - yellow journalism for clicks/viewers.

Well, on the topic of that Calgary Herald letter. I got yelled at last night by a friend of mine while we we're discussing it as a group for being so dismissive. Apparently the letter writer would have been better off in the situation had he pulled a gun. She's kind of become a complete fear monger lately to the point where she yelled at some teenagers flirting in a park over the weekend for helping to promote rape culture. The boy had picked up the girl and she shrieked while giggling.

So, thanks world for breaking someone who used to be rational.

Well if you guys want to see a pro-gun control argument...

On the plus side, I survived another day walking out into the street. There were a couple close calls, but thankfully I managed to avoid all the shooting and murder that was going on.

On the plus side, I survived another day walking out into the street. There were a couple close calls, but thankfully I managed to avoid all the shooting and murder that was going on.
But did you manage to scare off anyone trying to give you free tickets?

Gun violence is terrible, its numbers are staggering, and it doesn't only happen in movie theaters to white people, in Texas to constables doing their thankless job, or in Wisconsin Temples to the devoutly religious:

http://gawker.com/5934608/chicagos-...eater-but-its-still-the-worlds-deadliest-city

Two months before alleged killer James Holmes stormed a Colorado movie theater, murdering 12 and injuring dozens more, police and politicians in a different place were trying to squelch the tremors from their own mass killing. It was in Chicago, over Memorial Day weekend, when police responded to more than 40 shooting victims in about 72 hours. Ten of those victims were shot dead, including four teenage children. Alas, despite the fact that more people died that weekend than in both the August 5 Sikh killings and yesterday's College Station shootings combined, there will be no flags at half-staff for those 10 Chicagoans. It's likely you didn't even know those people were dead, just like most of your friends and family. In a summer of now three much-lamented shootings with multiple victims, Chicago's murdered are the forgotten ones.

Because people in the media like to compare and contrast things in order to add perspective, there are now dozens of ways to look at Chicago's murder rate: In May, it was up 49 percent from last year. The Windy City's murder rate is worse than the murder rate in Kabul, a literal war zone. It's worse than New York, a city three times its size. And trumping them all: It's the worst murder rate out of every so-called "Alpha" city in the entire world, a grouping that includes even historically rough locales like Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Los Angeles, and New York.
This could deserve its own thread, but we already have this one. And I feel bad for my immediately previous flippant / mean post.

GasBandit

Staff member
In 1982, Chicago instituted a ban on handguns (that was ruled unconstitutional by the supreme court in 2010). By 2005, guns were used in 75% of chicago's murders and handguns were 96% of those murders that used guns (pages 25-27), up from 40% when the ban was instituted.

There's no such thing as a "gun free" zone, and criminalizing gun ownership merely ensures that only criminals (and of course, your friendly government) has guns.

There's no such thing as a "gun free" zone, and criminalizing gun ownership merely ensures that only criminals (and of course, your friendly government) has guns.
Not to mention the huge boost it would be to organized crime and other black market dealers. Virtually the only people who would be prevented from having guns would be responsible, law-abiding citizens who weren't a danger to society in the first place.

M

Magister Moonie

Let's face it. The only way to completely end all gun violence would be to confiscate and destroy every single gun in the world, including those in use by the police, the military, and any other governmental force; then throw away all of the design specs for guns, shut down every gun manufacturer in the world, and find some way to cause everyone in the world to forget about the existence of guns.

Then we'd be having a thread about banning all knives, or spears, or bricks.
okay done

In 1982, Chicago instituted a ban on handguns (that was ruled unconstitutional by the supreme court in 2010). By 2005, guns were used in 75% of chicago's murders and handguns were 96% of those murders that used guns (pages 25-27), up from 40% when the ban was instituted.

It seems awfully easy to smuggle guns into a city. I don't think it's comparable at all to bans or more control on a nationwide scale.

It seems awfully easy to smuggle guns into a city. I don't think it's comparable at all to bans or more control on a nationwide scale.
You're right. When they banned alcohol in 1919, that shit was gone. No one had a single drop of beer or whiskey for over a decade. Organized crime suffered dramatically because everyone got together and unanimously agreed that alcohol was bad and no one should have it, and it lead directly to a golden age for America.

You're right. When they banned alcohol in 1919, that shit was gone. No one had a single drop of beer or whiskey for over a decade. Organized crime suffered dramatically because everyone got together and unanimously agreed that alcohol was bad and no one should have it, and it lead directly to a golden age for America.
:rolleyes:

I'm not saying that banning all guns is a good idea. It's obviously a bad idea. I was just pointing out that the argument didn't really work. I should've said I wasn't trying to make a point.
(In general and for most dangerous things, like guns and drugs, I am in favour of strong regulation but against absolute ban. Another example is decreased drug consumption rates in the Netherlands).

Funny thing about %, they don't tell you if murders went up or down...

Funny thing about %, they don't tell you if murders went up or down...
I'M GOING TO KILL YOU
...but only 96%.

Actually, those stats would be valid if the total # of murders went down significantly, but the number of gun deaths was unchanged. It's a lot like the stats about heart disease.
"Heart disease is the #1 killer of American citizens, up 500% since 1864!*" is not a very useful statistic since people in the 19th century usually died of trauma, tuberculosis, or some other cause long before they ever had a chance to succumb to heart disease.

--Patrick
*Total BS numbers just invented as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.