[Movies] Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Justice League movie? They'd have to be using this new Superman film as a "first film", then maybe Green Lantern 2 (Which I hope never happens) as a second, then a Wonder Woman movie that would tie in, then even another Batman reboot (as there's no way the current set-up would lead in). So yeah... think of how many years that'd be.
There is more than one Green Lantern from Earth. They could always have the movie be about Kyle Raynor, Guy Gardner, or John Stewart and just have Hal Jordan come in as a cameo. That might give it more of a chance not to suck.

fade

Staff member
Or they could just pretend the Ryan Reynolds one never happened like they did with Ang Lee's Hulk.

Thanos was just a knockoff Darkseid originally.
Fun fact originally during design he was a knockoff of Metron, chair and all. Apparently Editor Roy Thomas took one look at Jim Starlin's design and said "Beef him up, if you're going to steal one of the New Gods, at least rip off Darkseid, the really good one."

I agree that DC has the better villians, but I always preferred the Marvel heroes. Thor and Iron Man are still my favorites, followed by Hulk, X-Men, and Spider-Man. I just never got into characters like Batman or Superman.

When it comes to villains though, the only Marvel ones I enjoy are Thanos, Kingpin, and Loki, and I admit Loki only got up to one of my favorites due to his movie portrayals. That small number is surpassed just by the Batman villains.

fade

Staff member
Marvel has always been better at shades of grey and complexity in heroes, with the possible exception of Batman. DC tries, but even now, they never seem to pull it off. I don't necessarily think it's the writers, either. It's the baggage of history. All these DC characters are burned into peoples brains, and even the ones people don't know are stained by the DC association. We know their goody-two-shoes background, so when they act grey, it just seems weird and out of character. See earlier this thread for example.

GasBandit

Staff member
I can't wait for the 50 shades of gray comic book
They already have that, it's called rule34.paheal.

Anyway, I just want to come back and say that, for all the money DCUO allegedly spent on voice talent, they got the wrong person to portray wonder woman. She sounds like Amanda Waller attempting to do a humorous impression of Wonder Woman.

And in the actual game itself, Supes is still a shiny-eyed boy scout.

And it's EVER so much more fun to play a villain.

I had a coworker call me to her desk last week with a question about The Avengers. She said "my mother saw The Avengers and wanted to know who the guy at the end of the movie with the bow and arrow was." I asked "you mean the purple guy they showed during the credits?" She said "wait a minute" called her mother, and on the phone she said "no, the one at the end with the bow and arrow." I said "I assume she showed up during the last 10 minutes of the movie since Hawkeye was the one with the bow and arrow and was in the movie from the very beginning."
On DC I would love to see a Shazam movie. I think that would translate well. I've always like Marvel better but over the years have enjoyed DC on certain titles. I love DC animation, though, and can't even watch Marvel animation because of how good DC's is. It would be nice if Warner Bros would take a queue from the animation division. Some great stories there that would translate well into a movie. I've heard good things about The Avengers but the animation turns me off.

So I get why they change certain peoples costumes for movies, but it seems really dumb to put Deadman in leather. A) The clothes and mask are what he was wearing when he died, and B) it's hard to be a trapeze artist when you're wearing constricting leather. I'm just saying out of all the heroes his is one of the best excuses for spandex.

And do it like quantum leap where they have him in the costume of whoever he posses. Also have Scott Backula guest star.

fade

Staff member
Is it just me, or is that guy packing some serious Lil Deadman? Looks like it stretches all the way over across his left thigh.

BananaHands

Staff member
On DC I would love to see a Shazam movie. I think that would translate well. I've always like Marvel better but over the years have enjoyed DC on certain titles. I love DC animation, though, and can't even watch Marvel animation because of how good DC's is. It would be nice if Warner Bros would take a queue from the animation division. Some great stories there that would translate well into a movie. I've heard good things about The Avengers but the animation turns me off.
DC Animation is amazing, but I just don't feel DC movies could translate well to film. Batman is the obvious exception, but a bunch of extraordinary people in tights with incredibly specific weaknesses? I just feel it doesn't translate well outside of comics and animation.

GasBandit

Staff member
DC Animation is amazing, but I just don't feel DC movies could translate well to film. Batman is the obvious exception, but a bunch of extraordinary people in tights with incredibly specific weaknesses? I just feel it doesn't translate well outside of comics and animation.
Hey, remember, the X-Men wore tights too (just some had trenchcoats and stuff over the tights)... that got done away with for the movie for black leather. They even hung the lampshade about "would you feel better in yellow spandex?" "Of course not, don't be ridiculous."

Hold on, what incredibly specific weakness? Aside from Superman and Martian Manhunter, I can't think of any others. Wonder Woman doesn't have one. GL doesn't (the yellow thing hasn't be used in at least a decade now). Flash doesn't. Aquaman doesn't.

Wonder Woman loses her powers when tied up. (Hence all the bondage covers.)
Aquaman dries out if away from water for too long.
I can't remember Flash's

S

SeraRelm

Aquaman IS his weakness, the Flash can't run too fast or he goes into the speed dimension or whatever, I heard, Green Lantern's weakness was wood, then yellow. Wonder Woman's was binding her bracelets, getting lassoed or removing her belt(TV version).

bullets, knifes, large rocks, influenza. I'll take the Kryptonian dna, you can keep the money.

Also Wonder Woman hasn't had the bondage weakness in...Honestly it's been so long I can't recall, certainly over 30 years now. Flash is also just as vunerable as Batman he just has the advantage of being able to move really fast.

While it is true some of those don't really have a specific weakness now, many of them started out with specific weaknesses.

Green Lantern it was the color yellow, as you already hinted. (plus wood, funny enough) Wonder Woman it was getting tied up by a man, which took away all her strength (another weakness you will never see these days). Even the Flash had a specific weakness, in that he can burn himself out due to his hyper-metabolism unless he kept himself well nourished, but rarely do you see them utilize that anymore either. Aquaman used to have the weakness that he couldn't survive outside of water for too long, another weakness that was discarded due to age.

It's odd because most DC heroes did have very specific weaknesses, but as time went on, only Superman really kept his. (Even Martian Manhunter, his whole fire thing seems to be played on the down-low these days, as far as I have seen)

S

Soliloquy

I thought Batman's weakness was getting his spine snapped in two. It completely immobilizes him.

It's odd because most DC heroes did have very specific weaknesses, but as time went on, only Superman really kept his. (Even Martian Manhunter, his whole fire thing seems to be played on the down-low these days, as far as I have seen)
I think it's mainly because Superman is so all powerful, you kind of needed that weakness to bring him down to the level of the guys he was fighting. Everyone else could be harmed like a normal person (eventually) but he would always be Superman unless he had the kryptonite weakness.

The biggest weakness of the Green Lanterns these days is the limited charge on their rings. Hal Jordan was always running low on his charge because he was an idiot and would always wait till the last minute to recharge. It also takes more energy to maintain a complex construct that it does to fly or shoot a beam. This means that he can run out of juice in a fight.

Aquaman's biggest weakness is mainly that he's a king. He can't go around and do the normal crime fighting thing without pissing off the UN, because he's basically a head of state that's violating the sanctity of other nations anytime he goes on land to kick ass. He always has to justify his actions later. He also spends most of his time in Atlantis because he's the king.

Flash's main weakness is that he's pretty fragile and can only go up to a certain speed before becoming one with the Speed Force.

As for the Martian Manhunter... well everyone knows that his greatest weakness is Oreos! Err... I mean "choco-creams".

Status
Not open for further replies.