Export thread

Avengers

Limit: 500

evilmike

evilmike

The new trailer is up.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yep, I'm there midnight opening. As I've been for every Marvel Production film so far.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I don't remember actually being excited for an action-type flick, but this I can get behind. I just have to see Captain America and Thor between now and then.

Adam

Adammon

Joss with a $100M budget should be interesting. Also, Scarjo. :awesome:

Espy

Espy

At first I was all like, oh, alright cool... then the first few notes of "We're In This Together" started to play and then I was all like daaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Dave

Dave

Dave no want new Hulk. Dave like old Hulk. DAVE SMASH!!!!

Espy

Espy

Someone give him his meds. Hurry people. "Smash" is code for "poop all over the place".

Dave

Dave

Dave smashed in his pants again! DAVE NEED NURSE!

Biannoshufu

oh hot damn this looks yummy.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Loved the Norton Hulk, love Norton's acting in General. Despise his "diva" attitude, glad he's gone from the production.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Looks tantalizing. Any word on what/who the main villain/threat is that they will be taking on?

Biannoshufu

Loki

Jay

Jay

So ummm... *pulls his pants back up and starts to tie his belt* When is this movie going to come out?

Chibibar

This looks awesome. I know my wife will "drag me" to midnight showing.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Marvel... you've hurt me before. Please not again.

Tress

Tress

So ummm... *pulls his pants back up and starts to tie his belt* When is this movie going to come out?
May 4th

Jay

Jay

MAYbe I'll watch it on opening day.

Tress

Tress

Marvel... you've hurt me before. Please not again.
They're on a hot streak. I think it's a safe assumption that the movie will be decent at the very least.

strawman

strawman

Dave no want new Hulk. Dave like old Hulk. DAVE SMASH!!!!
Someone give him his meds. Hurry people. "Smash" is code for "poop all over the place".
Dave smashed in his pants again! DAVE NEED NURSE!
oh hot damn this looks yummy.

Dave

Dave

Context is everything.

Jay

Jay

strawman

strawman

Jay

Jay

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Looks tantalizing. Any word on what/who the main villain/threat is that they will be taking on?
It's probably going to be at least one villain for each of the big members. So probably Loki, The Leader or Abomination, Winter Soldier, and someone for Tony Stark.

Espy

Espy

It's probably going to be at least one villain for each of the big members. So probably Loki, The Leader or Abomination, Winter Soldier, and a case of high end Vodka.
Fixed.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Actually, now that you mentioned vodka, I could see them using the Crimson Dynamo if they bring in Winter Soldier for Captain America.

Tress

Tress

It's going to be Loki, and not much else. They're not going to take the time to introduce the Winter Soldier in the Avengers. If they do it at all, it will be in a stand-alone Captain America sequel. They might use Abomination, but I doubt it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's going to be Loki, and not much else. They're not going to take the time to introduce the Winter Soldier in the Avengers. If they do it at all, it will be in a stand-alone Captain America sequel. They might use Abomination, but I doubt it.
Considering how they handled the Bucky falling from the train scene, it's pretty clear they want to do Winter Soldier sometime down the line. Maybe not this film, but it's going to happen.

As for Abomination... I think it'll happen. They need something that is a reasonable threat to The Hulk and the only other person who could reasonable go toe to toe with him is Thor.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Look Mr. Whedon, here's my wallet. It's going to pretty much be yours on May 4th.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'm sure Loki is just going to turn them all against each other. So we'll have a movie of these superheroes beating each other up until they realize what is going on and become the Avengers we know they should be.

Jay

Jay

Is it just me but are the villains for the Avergers just meh at best?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Is it just me but are the villains for the Avergers just meh at best?
I think that's because most of the really iconic Marvel villains aren't involved with these characters. Their more involved with the likes of Spiderman, the X-Men, and the Fantastic 4. It's really one of the problems with Marvel comics as a whole.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Fan Service: The Movie

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Fan Service: The Movie
... how is this fan service? The Avengers is a long running, well established super group in comics. It's been around for decades.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I don't think so, because Nick Fury was clearly setting up this team in Avengers 1/2.

I mean, Iron Man 2.

Anyway, looks fucking awesome. I'm glad Loki is the main villain, as each other movie's villain was pretty must "Grr, arg" while Loki was the most plotting and intelligent of them. I loved Thor's grin to Tony Snark.

Also at first I was all "Cool, but aww, want Hulk" and then there was Hulk.
Added at: 17:38
... how is this fan service? The Avengers is a long running, well established super group in comics. It's been around for decades.
He doesn't know about mainstream comics.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

He doesn't know about mainstream comics.
What would be the anti-hipster image? Because right now I'm imagining Charmander in a pink shirt with a popped collar saying that.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I admittedly don't read comics much at all. I obviously know the Avengers existed. The comic was fanservice too! Isn't it literally "man wouldn't it be cool if Captain America worked with The Hulk" etc?

Chibibar

I admittedly don't read comics much at all. I obviously know the Avengers existed. The comic was fanservice too! Isn't it literally "man wouldn't it be cool if Captain America worked with The Hulk" etc?
Well, there are actually multiple groups.

East coast/West coast Avengers
Avengers
and a bunch of different X groups :)

Tress

Tress

Congratulations, you just described every comic ever. They can all be boiled down to someone thinking "Wouldn't it be cool if ____ worked with/fought against _____?"

The really interesting part to me is the way you use "fan service" as a slur, as if doing something the audience will like is a bad thing.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The really interesting part to me is the way you use "fan service" as a slur, as if doing something the audience will like is a bad thing.
Pleasing anyone is the furthest from hipsterdom as anything.

Especially in bed.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Pleasing anyone is the furthest from hipsterdom as anything.

Especially in bed.
you literally know nothing about how I make fuck

GasBandit

GasBandit

And here I thought "fan service" had a much narrower (or rather, curvier) definition.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Congratulations, you just described every comic ever. They can all be boiled down to someone thinking "Wouldn't it be cool if ____ worked with/fought against _____?"

Most fan service is shitty? They are just locked into "we have to get all these huge name actors into this movie as soon as possible" without caring about if they have a good story to tell first.

Biannoshufu

And here I thought "fan service" had a much narrower (or rather, curvier) definition.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Man, I got such a Michael Bay Transformers vibe from the first half of that trailer...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Man, I got such a Michael Bay Transformers vibe from the first half of that trailer...
Agreed, but it seemed like that was largely one scene. Once the characters began to show up, it got way better.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Is your love for her like truck berzerker?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Ain't anything to brag about considering the "Girl" thread.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think you meant figuratively. Unless you meant to imply quotemander was completely oblivious to the workings of mammalian reproduction.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Fan service is making a movie that's been teased and planned since Iron Man 1, and starring characters from three other very successful movies? Huh. Well colour me surprised.

Also, the original comic wasn't just fan service. It was Marvel's second attempt to compete with DC's Justice League. The first being Fantastic Four.
Added at: 18:50
Also, fan service would be something more akin to X-Men 3, where fans kept demanding this character and that character.

We all know how well that worked out.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Actually, now that you mentioned vodka, I could see them using the Crimson Dynamo if they bring in Winter Soldier for Captain America.
I don't think that's likely, since they (kind of) used him in Iron Man 2.

I really hope they DON'T do one villain for each major protagonist. Loki can maybe muster up a few others, but what you're describing sounds too much like the Ultimates 2 to me, which was godawful.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm sure Loki is just going to turn them all against each other. So we'll have a movie of these superheroes beating each other up until they realize what is going on and become the Avengers we know they should be.
I agree with FruitFingers. We've got:

1. A super genius who's got a high tech suit of powered armor, which allows him to fly, shoot repulsor blasts, and who know what else he's upgraded,
2. An enhanced super-soldier with an indestructible shield,
3. A huge green monster with potentially infinite strength as long as he's mad enough, and
4. A thunder god.

Oh, and there's also a guy with a bow and a chick with big boobs.

Point is, these guys have got tons of power. They could probably sweep away anyone who tried to go toe-to-toe with them, unless their enemies are also super-powerful, but then that just gives us lots of big explosions. Pretty to watch, but not always a very compelling story. So I think it'd be more interesting to see how their personalities clash, how they have to go from lone wolves to a cohesive team, and how Loki would try to prevent that.

Plus there's a scene in the trailer where Thor's smashing Cap with his hammer.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Let's not forget:

"I've had enough of these mothafuckin' supervillains in this mothafuckin' city."

Tress

Tress

The very first issue was all about Loki tricking some of them into fighting each other. I'm guessing they won't stray too far from that concept.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I saw some footage of Thor and Captain America fighting multiple guys in motion capture suits, so it won't be just Loki, he is going to have some minions from somewhere. It does not look like it will be Frost Giants though, since they were choreographing that the enemies were the same size as them.

I think I remember reading one theory that Loki, after going through the wormhole at the end of Thor, stumbled onto the Skrull homeworld. He convinces them to go with him to take over Earth, thus starting an invasion. This makes sense to me, since I don't believe Loki by himself would be enough to have SHIELD start the Avengers Initiative when Thor alone beat him in the past, but an invasion from another planet? That sounds like something they would go balls to the wall to stop. It was only a theory though, so will have to see what they go with for Loki and his minions.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Skrulls? That would make this film go from a 10/10 to a 20/10. That'd be fantastic.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Skrulls are the running rumour right now, actually.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Oooo, Skrulls would be cool.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Indeed, Skrulls would be awesome and a Super Skrull could give the Hulk a run for his money.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20483133_20536067,00.html?hpt=hp_bn11

Alien army joining Loki is confirmed. If they're Skrulls? Not yet.

FUCKING LOVE the fact that Stark is wearing a Black Sabbath shirt in the still.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Alien army joining Loki is confirmed. If they're Skrulls? Not yet.
I hope they are Skrulls. When it comes to the alien races that are involved in the Marvel universe, the two that always pop into my head are the Skrulls and the Kree. There are other races, obviously, like the Shi'ar, The Brood, and other random races, but they are just not as fun as the Skrulls and wouldn't make good villains in an Avengers story anyways, they were always more involved with the X-Men.

Plus I think the Skrulls working with Loki would fit perfectly. Loki is a manipulator that fools with people and pushes them to do what he wants, and the Skrull as a race are all about infiltration and deception mixed with some brute force. They would compliment each other when working together, all the while secretly trying to undermine each other. It would make an interesting story.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

what is a skrull

Adam

Adammon

what is a skrull
Evolved form of Cubone.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Aliens that can mimic not only the appearance but the powers of super heroes.

In a 2 hour movie, likely just aliens.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I somehow doubt this movie will come in at or under 2 hours. Not to say the skrull still wouldn't be glossed over. Even the hero content alone would be too much movie to fit.

Adam

Adammon

Just give me two hours of

BananaHands

BananaHands

I'm sure they'll just tease the Skrulls as Loki's lil' army. Then in Avengers 2? OMG TONY STARKS BEEN A SKRULL SINCE THE END OF AVENGERS 1.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Just give me two hours of

Ms. Johansson called, she said

So I told her -

BananaHands

BananaHands

I've gotten less and less impressed with those boobies since the nude pictures. But more and more impressed with dat ass.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've gotten less and less impressed with those boobies since the nude pictures. But more and more impressed with dat ass.
The nude picture was taken lying down, and that's what real boobies do when horizontal.

oh, and just to add to the gifs flying round,

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I mean, not to downtalk DAT ASS (which is good) but DEM TITTIES are pretty awesome too.

BananaHands

BananaHands

I could spend the rest of my life with that tushie.

Tress

Tress

There's no need to argue, people. We can agree that she's hot from head to toe.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Here's some massively flammable fuel to the fire:
http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/05/27/the-avengers-thanos-supervillain-infinity-gauntlet/

I'm betting "end of credits" cameo.

Covar

Covar

I'd rather Kree than Skrull, this way you can have Captain Marvel. Shame we'll never see the Masters of Evil, but a Immortus/Kang movie would be awesome and truly epic.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Here's some massively flammable fuel to the fire:
http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/05/27/the-avengers-thanos-supervillain-infinity-gauntlet/

I'm betting "end of credits" cameo.
If they do the Infinity Gauntlet, are they going to try and do the War of the Gems story? Because last time I checked, Spiderman was involved in those and they don't have the rights for his movies anymore...

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

There's no way they could possibly contain all the badass that is Thanos MUCH less the Infinity Gauntlet. No worries, I'm guessing it's 100% rumor.

Tress

Tress

*pulls out the internet megaphone*

Dear comic fans: stop coming up with dumb rumors for The Avengers that would never work out on a movie screen. That is all.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I hear Wolverine and Spider-Man make a cameo!

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Well I heard that after the credits, we get to watch Tony Stark have a fancy dinner with Bruce Wayne!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I heard they're actually fighting daleks and cylons.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

No no... in the ending scene, we get to see a teaser for the new Howard the Duck movie. Full CG and voiced by Patton Oswald.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

It just wouldn't be the same without Lea Thompson and . . .

Frank

Frankie Williamson

She....was part of my transition into puberty.

Salute Ms. Thompson.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I hear Son Goku appears in the climactic battle, but he doesn't finish charging up his attack until the post-credits scene.

Biannoshufu

ok, now this thread is starting to suck.

Null

Null

You know, that is such an internet thing to say. Talk about how you're unimpressed with the attributes of a woman miles out of your league.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

BananaHands

BananaHands

You know, that is such an internet thing to say. Talk about how you're unimpressed with the attributes of a woman miles out of your league.
Hey, as long as I have a computer screen to hide behind, I'll keep critiquing boobies.

Null

Null

Philosopher B.

Is this thread now about boobies

because I could handle that

*fondle*

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Boobies? ALL RIGHT!

Wait, hang on...

Philosopher B.

Hey, those aren't boobies. That's a booby, singular! How am I supposed to motorboat that, hmmm? HMMM?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Philosopher B.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

lmao there's a bird named booby

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Charlie, can you please, OH please change your avatar to this:

I've never imagined a better fit.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

it's not like I said something like "you know the booby is endangered and instead of making glib remarks on the internet, you should donate money or volunteer to spread awareness of its plight"

Philosopher B.

it's not like I said something like "you know the booby is endangered and instead of making glib remarks on the internet, you should donate money or volunteer to spread awareness of its plight"
That would've been a funny post, you should've made it
Added at: 02:51
Also,

(I'm done now)

Steve

Steve

http://io9.com/5850188/bruce-banner...is-of-the-new-york-comic-con-avengers-footage

Brief article describing the first meeting of Dr. Banner and Black Widow. Sadly, no video of this trailer yet. Just reading a description of the trailer has got my blood going. Can't wait for this movie. Also, anyone complaining about Scarlett's boobs need to get their eyes checked. I've seen many a boob in my life and I can tell you most don't match up to the Playboy photoshopped image. I wholeheartedly approve of her boobs. But in regards to boobs I've always preferred the smaller size. More athletic look. Gwen Stephani would be what I consider ideal. Bigger boobs are fun to play with for a few nights but that novelty wears off and I can mouth a small perky boob just as good as I can a big pancaked sized nipple boob.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

^ a poster that respects and treats women as people

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

^
Has no idea how to really treat women.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

^
Has no idea how to really treat women.
^Knows how to treat a woman. ;)

Frank

Frankie Williamson

We could all learn a lesson.

Jay

Jay

Thank you Steve for sharing us in your wisdom and for teaching us the value of a perfectly sized perky boob. It is posts like yours that remind me why I come back to this website and contribute in my, far from Steve-like way. In a way, I look upon your posts as a measuring stick of quality and try my damnest to be as good as yours, as fruitless as that action may be.

Furthermore, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Personally, I love me some Vitamin-C

bhamv3

bhamv3

^^What he said, except in a non sarcastic way. I like boobs, and talking about boobs.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

^^has not realized that, deep down inside, we're all a bunch of boobs.

Dave

Dave

Men have boobs, too. Let's not forget that. Sometimes they're hairy and gross, but they are there and deserve equal rights!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Men have boobs, too. Let's not forget that. Sometimes they're hairy and gross, but they are there and deserve equal rights!

Dave

Dave

-heh- Bitch tits.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I was just gonna post 'Want' in response the original poster, but I think by now it would have been weird and creepy.

Steve

Steve

Well, I do like to share my wisdom on boobs. Never understood the joy of sticking your long john between a pair. Not that it's a bad thing it's just overrated. Really, what do you do. I could never blow my wad by jamming tits. I'll gone back and forth but it just didn't do anything other than give me the beans to say "I've done that." And don't misread my previous post as an aversion to large boobs. Just like Joe Walsh's ILBT I would never turn away a set (well I would now due to the wife) but I prefer the perkies over the swinging.
And, Dave, in regards to man boobs, well, boobs are boobs in the dark. Take it however you want to. I'm free this weekend.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I was just gonna post 'Want' in response the original poster, but I think by now it would have been weird and creepy.
So...you don't want boobs?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Prepare for Charlie rage.

Steve

Steve

Why the hell hasn't the new Avenger's footage with The Hulk been leaked? Surely someone shot the video with their cell phone. I want to see Hulk rage!
And for the record whoever stole those pics off Scarlett's phone is a dick. She has a right to privacy.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Steve's new user title:

Charlie with a bit of Jay

Jay

Jay

And I have a right to scour the tower of power.
Added at: 20:19
Steve's new user title:

1235957053527.gif

Steve

Steve

Steve's new user title:

I hope I got Jay's bottom half. From what I hear he's hung like a horse compared to Charlie who's hung like an Oompa-Loompa.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

:rofl:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Charlie who's hung like an Oompa-Loompa.
That explains why he's always down in the dumpity dumps.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Max Schumacher: Why is it that a woman always thinks that the most savage thing she can say to a man is to impugn his cocksmanship.
Diana Christensen: I'm sorry I impugned your cocksmanship.
Max Schumacher: I gave up comparing genitals back in the schoolyard.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

So...you don't want boobs?
Female boobs, yes. Male boobs, no.

Already got me a pair o' those.

evilmike

evilmike

10 seconds from the Superbowl ad:

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

teaser for an ad for a teaser trailer

evilmike

evilmike

meta.jpg

MindDetective

MindDetective

teaser for an ad for a teaser trailer
And the YouTube image happens to be a teaser for the teaser for the ad for the teaser trailer!

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

All I know is if it's true that
Thanos
is the big bad along side Loki, I'm going to watch this multiple times in the theatre. Easily my favorite all-time Marvel character.

BananaHands

BananaHands

People are going to complain and complain about it. But I'm not going to give a fuck and going to see the midnight showing and probably a few more times after that.

Hell, I'm even going to go see Spiderman at midnight.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

All I know is if it's true that
Thanos
is the big bad along side Loki, I'm going to watch this multiple times in the theatre. Easily my favorite all-time Marvel character.
As cool as it'd be, I hope not. With Loki and potentially Skrulls (or aliens of some sort, at least), we're already looking at a pretty crowded movie, villain-wise. That's not including all the mingling, miscommunication, and inner-team fighting among the Avengers themselves. I say save Mr. Death-Obsessed for Avengers 2.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I dunno, Loki could be a minor part (bringing Mr. Death-Obsessed to Earth through the Intergallactic highway thing) at least halfway through the film. I think the "alien" rumors ARE him.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Dominating Earth or using an alien armada seems very below him, though.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

There's no way it's Thanos...where are these rumors coming from? Skrulls, probably. Hell, I betcha the movie is preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetty darn close to Ultimates 1(without rapist Hulk).
Added at: 16:12
Prediction 2: Thanos is a purple, blue and gold cloud.

Adam

Adammon

We did see the Infinity gauntlet in Thor.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Was that anymore than just an easter egg?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

All I know is that the big rumor is that it's a "physically huge" evil baddie that's been the super secret of all the trailers. I believe it's him with about a 20% probability, but with an 80% wishability.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

If it is Thanos, that would be pretty rad. Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity War and all that jazz are some of my earliest comics.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Too bad the Deadpool movie is being done by FOX. They could have thrown a female Death in that to pave the way for Thanos being obsessed with her.

ElJuski

ElJuski

So how about that Expendables 2, eh guys?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Thanos seems too grand to pull out for the first movie. They would likely save him for later movies as he would overshadow a lot of future villains. Maybe even tease Loki getting him the gauntlet, but not actually have them fight with him.

I know Super-Skrull is kind of a FF villain, but I would love to see him.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Sadly there won't be another. Too long of a production for so many big names.

They're also still doing alot of individual titles. IM3, Hulk 2, Thor 2 etc

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Good point, Shego. This is probably something on its own.

Think I'll take it opening night.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an Avengers 2, but 2015-16 and still having all these actors on board? I don't see it.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I believe the majority are signed to at least an Avengers 2 and a 2nd individual movie.
Thor 2, Cap 2. Iron Man 3 all shape Avengers 2, possible Black Widow 1 and Hulk TV show, resulting in a revamp of Avengers lineup for second film with core three intact

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Looked into it a bit more, and the Thanos rumors are pretty heavy but have a lot of holes in them. Most of the rumors say that Loki is collecting and offering Infinity Gems to Thanos as long as he attacks Earth, and Thanos gave Loki the Skrulls (which go by a different name in the movie) to help in the battle. However, other rumors say that the Skrulls are not working for Thanos, but simply are following Loki because he informed them that the Cosmic Cube was located on Earth, which they want to possess. Really, the rumors are all over the place it's hard to narrow down which ones may be valid and which are just fanwank.

However, talks with the director and others in the movie have confirmed that any other villain won't be the main antagonist, that will still remain Loki. Whoever the other villain is will probably be a blip at the end if anything.

Enresshou

Enresshou

My only complaint about this movie so far (aside from the wait) is that it's coming out right in the middle of the biggest and most stressful test of my life...and I want to see Hulk SMASH.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Looked into it a bit more, and the Thanos rumors are pretty heavy but have a lot of holes in them. Most of the rumors say that Loki is collecting and offering Infinity Gems to Thanos as long as he attacks Earth, and Thanos gave Loki the Skrulls (which go by a different name in the movie) to help in the battle. However, other rumors say that the Skrulls are not working for Thanos, but simply are following Loki because he informed them that the Cosmic Cube was located on Earth, which they want to possess. Really, the rumors are all over the place it's hard to narrow down which ones may be valid and which are just fanwank.
That sounds like an awful lot of plot to pull out of pretty much nowhere. And by that I mean, too much to shove into an already busy movie.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

If there's a guarantee on Avengers 2, I'll take Loki + the Skrulls with a final "Oh shit" shot of Thanos at the end.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Man, I want Ultron.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The director says "Fuck it, all in." The final villain will now be Darth Vader riding atop the stay-puft marshmallow man.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Man, I want Ultron.
When I think Avengers enemy, the first thing that appears in my mind is Ultron. It would be sad if we never see him.

Though in order for us to gain him, we need to get Ant Man and Wasp into the team already. I am still bitter we don't have them in the movie, though I understand why they removed them.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Though in order for us to gain him, we need to get Ant Man and Wasp into the team already. I am still bitter we don't have them in the movie, though I understand why they removed them.
Because Ant Man is a dumb name and NO ONE knows who he is outside of Marvel fans?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Because Ant Man is a dumb name and NO ONE knows who he is outside of Marvel fans?
How many people knew Hawkeye, Black Widow, or even the Marvel version of Thor outside of Marvel fans? None of them held the mass appeal of characters like Captain America, Wolvarine, Spider-Man, etc.... Even Iron Man was rather obscure to the mainstream until they made his movie. I dare say the Thor movie made more people interested in the character then any of the comics did in the past.

As for the name, the guy has like three names they can use. Don't like Ant Man? You have Giant Man or Yellowjacket. Feel that two characters with the ability to alter size is overkill? Fine, make Ant Man into just a scientist and have Wasp his test subject for his size altering technology, putting the action scenes on her. At least then the Avengers wouldn't be the sausage-fest it is right now.

Adam

Adammon

It's going to be Lex Luthor.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

How many people knew Hawkeye, Black Widow, or even the Marvel version of Thor outside of Marvel fans?
Thor had a popular and successful television show in 70's-80's I believe. He's been around.

But yeah, use one of his other names. Yellowjacket would be perfect.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Thor had a popular and successful television show in 70's-80's I believe. He's been around.

But yeah, use one of his other names. Yellowjacket would be perfect.
Please tell me you are not referring to the Trial of the Incredible Hulk as that's the only place Thor ever showed up on TV then.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

HA!

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

It was not his own show, it was called The Marvel Super Heroes and had a lot of characters, including the front runner, Captain America, who I mentioned had more mainstream appeal back then. That was also in the 60s, not the 70s or 80s.

Other then that he only appeared in cameos in other television shows for more prominent stars like Hulk and Spider-Man, and only has become a mainstay in various "super-squad" series since word got out about his movie following the success of the Iron Man movie.

Either way, my point is that people will get to know Ant Man when they actually use him, like Black Widow, and soon, Hawkeye, who are just as "obscure" as Hank Pyme when it comes to mainstream knowledge of the Avengers. Hank at least has the honor of being one of the founders of the group in the comics, which is another reason I find it rather sad he is not around. I hope to at least see a cameo.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

He still gets a little (heh) coverage in popular media...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm actually really looking forward to the Ant Man movie Edgar Wright was working on. It sounded really cool.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Please tell me you are not referring to the Trial of the Incredible Hulk as that's the only place Thor ever showed up on TV then.
The Trial of the Incredible Hulk had Daredevil and the Kingpin.

The Incredible Hulk Returns was the one with Thor.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Dude, it would be like a superhero version of Honey I Shrunk the Kids. How is that not awesome?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Dude, it would be like a superhero version of Honey I Shrunk the Kids. How is that not awesome?

Norris

Norris

The minutes long spot, available on their Facebook Page:

Ladies & Gentlemen, I'm speechless. Well, not exactly. High pitched gibberish noises. That shot of the team assembled is kinda badass.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The minutes long spot, available on their Facebook Page:

Ladies & Gentlemen, I'm speechless. Well, not exactly. High pitched gibberish noises. That shot of the team assembled is kinda badass.
Hulk jumping!

That's what I missed from 2008's movie.

Agreed on the team shot, as well as the awesomeness. The shot of Iron Man rocketing up towards whatever the hell was in the sky was fantastic.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

"I have an army."

Norris

Norris

"I have an army."
"We have a Hulk."

Espy

Espy

Cap's modern suit looks kind of stupid. Everything else looks pretty damn good but his suit bugs me.

Norris

Norris

Cap's modern suit looks kind of stupid. Everything else looks pretty damn good but his suit bugs me.
This is true. I hope it looks better in action. That said, when he's not wearing the cowl...I think it looks perfect. If they'd just kept the helmet style from the solo flick, I think it would look a lot better.

Espy

Espy

Yeah, I dug the hell out of the WW2 suit. Love the helmet.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Shut up and take my money!

bhamv3

bhamv3

In the assemble shot, did the Hulk just sort of appear from nowhere?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

In the assemble shot, did the Hulk just sort of appear from nowhere?
No, the camera was circling.

EDIT: Nevermind, you're right; he just appears all of a sudden.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Huh, stealth Hulk.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Huh, stealth Hulk.

HULK..... sneaaaaak!!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

No, the camera was circling.

EDIT: Nevermind, you're right; he just appears all of a sudden.
Its poor staging. Its conceivable that he was JUST on the other side of the camera's lens, but in a shot like that it does make it look like he appears out of nowhere. They could have staged it better.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Huh, stealth Hulk.
tumblr_lyy4zcJ36G1r92sc8o1_500.gif

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Widow and Hawkeye standing between those titans just seems so out of place, I dunno, maybe it's just me.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

This is what I think is happening:

Like I said, poor staging, but it does make sense.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I hope he's walking backwards then, because when he gets in view, he's damn near brushing shoulders with Tony

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I know this is going to sound weird coming from me but:

Stop ruining the amazing trailer NERDS!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Not really, they're about as far away from eachother as any two of the other Avengers.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

YOU KNOW WHAT?

FUCK.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Nerds? On the internet? In a forum thread about the Avengers?! Good heavens!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I guess the reason I note it is because we know that Hulk actually wasn't there among the actors, so it would mean they missed CGI'ing him into the reel where he should be.

But as already said, makes sense, poor staging, trailer still awesome--I'm sure it'll all be happening too fast in the movie to notice.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Widow and Hawkeye standing between those titans just seems so out of place, I dunno, maybe it's just me.
No, in the sense of limited history that has been presented in the films leaves you to gage them by their "super power" level and not their character.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah, it doesn't change the fact that its an awesome trailer.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Yeah, it doesn't change the fact that its an awesome trailer.
Needs more Scarlett Witch...

ElJuski

ElJuski

I mean, what are we to believe, this is some sort of magic giant green monster?

Steve

Steve

http://io9.com/5882689/the-avengers-super-bowl-trailer-screencaps/gallery/20

Screen caps from the trailer. Doesn't appear to be Skrulls. Maybe Frost Giants or some other race from Loki's realm? Skrulls mean nothing to non comic readers and would be a stretch to tie them into this movie considering you have so much going on already. If those are Skrulls they look strange.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'm going to be pretty disappointed if it's just Loki 2.0 and a bunch of no-name aliens.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Historically Loki has created many of Marvels enduring supervillains.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yeah but this is the "kick-start" to the Avenger's "series". We want big names, then maybe new faces.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

They'll face...The Nonamians!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah but this is the "kick-start" to the Avenger's "series". We want big names, then maybe new faces.
Well, seeing as it was Loki that brought the Avengers together to begin with, I can only imagine the nerdrage involved if he wasn't a key player.

evilmike

evilmike

The face of the enemy

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

@Bowielee - I completely understand that and agree. If we didn't just finish having a film where he was the main focus (Thor) I'd be all for an all Loki movie.

Also, thank you evilmike.

Adam

Adammon

Look pretty Skrullsy to me.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

They look like a cross between Ultimates Chitauri (Skrulls) and traditional universe Skrulls.

Steve

Steve

They look more like Skrulls in the game pieces than they do in the screen caps.

Norris

Norris

They look more like Skrulls in the game pieces than they do in the screen caps.
Because those screenshots are so clear and detailed?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, it may have something to do with the fact that they're just blurry blobs in the screencaps.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The Blob is in this movie?!

Bowielee

Bowielee

Ugh, yet another in the million ways that Xmen origins Wolverine sucked.
The only good thing that came out of that movie was the video game. And when your video game tie in is better than your movie, you're in serious trouble.

evilmike

evilmike

New Poster:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Wow! Hulk is 50 foot tall and Cap' is 20 foot tall...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

It's a little busy, but overall, I like it!

Dave

Dave

It's not real unless it says Edward Norton.

Covar

Covar

that poster looks...processed.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Edward Norton is such a diva, he could never handle being in that movie.

Adam

Adammon

HALFORUMS ASSEMBLE!

halforum-assemblejpg.jpg

ElJuski

ElJuski

well that scared me.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Jeez and I thought I didn't have enough to do.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm thinking Downey had final approval on that poster.
It looks like Iron Man 3 guest starring: The Avengers

Covar

Covar

The Halforums edit looks about as natural as the original (mild hyperbole for effect).

Frank

Frankie Williamson

I'm thinking Downey had final approval on that poster.
It looks like Iron Man 3 guest starring: The Avengers
The whole movie looks like that.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

NICK SMASH!

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The Halforums edit looks about as natural as the original (mild hyperbole for effect).
This. Why does Downey's head look pasted on? And I don't mean Photoshop pasted; I mean kid with magazines and paste pasted.

ElJuski

ElJuski

How else would they market it to the masses? I mean, seriously, Robert Downey Jr. was pretty much the draw for me to see Iron Man, and Iron Man paved the way for me learning more about the rest of the Avengers.

Espy

Espy

Wow! Hulk is 50 foot tall and Cap' is 20 foot tall...
And they pasted R.D. Jr's head onto the Iron Man suit... holy crap thats an awful poster. Wow.

Norris

Norris

Oh lord, those are just the solo posters composited together.

Espy

Espy

Someone was paid a shit ton of money to make that guys. Think about that.

Adam

Adammon

Someone was paid a shit ton of money to make that guys. Think about that.
Unlikely. Looks like it was done in house by Marvel Studios probably by an internal team putting together components from various pre-existing collateral. I'd say it probably cost about $30,000-$50,000 between marketing and graphic design teams. Probably cost more to advertise that there was a new poster than to actually make the poster.

Gusto

Gusto

That Hawkeye looks like a glib sidekick OH WAIT IT'S ME

Adam

Adammon

A movie must have comic relief. You know how hard it was to find a picture of you smiling!?!

Gusto

Gusto

Not hard at all..?

Adam

Adammon

Exactly Mr "I haven't smiled in 9 months", exactly.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Is it okay that I'm kind of super flattered by that?

Adam

Adammon

Is it okay that I'm kind of super flattered by that?
Well, my original intention was to put you on the Hulk, but it just seemed so unnatural ;) Glad you liked it, I think you and fade actually turned out the best. (Or rather you two I spent the most time on)

fade

fade

BY ODIN'S MULLET.

Gusto

Gusto

Shannow's my favourite.

fade

fade

He's fabulous.

evilmike

evilmike

Probably not the next Avengers trailer:

evilmike

evilmike

The next Avengers trailer:

bhamv3

bhamv3

I... I want Scarlett Johansson to persuade me...

figmentPez

figmentPez

Adam

Adammon

Holy flurking schnitt.

Covar

Covar

That wrap around shot of all of them looked so much better this time. No magically appearing Hulk.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

At least Tony still knows how to party...

GasBandit

GasBandit

At least Tony still knows how to party...
With LEVIATHAN ARMORED SPACE BARRACUDAS.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I wish very much to see this movie.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Meanwhile, in front of BananaHand's laptop:
:aaah:

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I...I just threw money at the screen...but nothing happened. :(

Frank

Frankie Williamson

We only got to see like 2 seconds of Cobie Smulders as Maria Hill, but I want in that.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I think I may have pissed myself.

OK, I definately pissed myself.

ElJuski

ElJuski

did that extended scene of the group together manage to shut all you assholes up about Hulk just appearing out of thin air? Or is there more five second clips that need nitpicking and parsing?
Added at: 21:34
are there, ARE There more. ugh I hate myself

evilmike

evilmike

New Japanese Trailer

Helicarrier confirmed.

Adam

Adammon

Hmm, I'm thinking Badoon for bad guys more and more.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Does anyone else think putting Hawkeye in this was a tad premature? I mean, dude was originally a villain!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

For one, he was only briefly a villain. Two, where else would you put him? He's not a strong or big enough character to support his own movie. Being one of the sideline guys while the big four (Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk) take most of the limelight sounds about right to me.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

For one, he was only briefly a villain. Two, where else would you put him? He's not a strong or big enough character to support his own movie. Being one of the sideline guys while the big four (Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk) take most of the limelight sounds about right to me.
I'm just talking about the transition is all. Did he start out as a villain in the movie?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Seems like he started as a SHIELD agent (in Thor). Who knows. Maybe he has a background as a criminal.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Seems like he started as a SHIELD agent (in Thor). Who knows. Maybe he has a background as a criminal.
Fleh, good enough for me. Is Ant-man in this? I want Ant-man in this. Minus the the horror of course.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

New Japanese Trailer

Helicarrier confirmed.
More me wanting in Cobie Smulders.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Fleh, good enough for me. Is Ant-man in this? I want Ant-man in this. Minus the the horror of course.
The Ant Man movie- perpetually in development it seems- will be seperate from the Avengers. One day way down the line they might find a way to cross them over, but that's the last I heard.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

More me wanting in Cobie Smulders.
Do you mean to keep saying this? Cause it sounds like, y'know....

And I agree.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The Ant Man move- perpetually in development it seems, will be seperate from the Avengers. One day way down the line they might find a way to cross them over, but that's the last I heard.
Uh, does this mean their gonna make a SEPERATE Ant-man movie? I don't know how that would work...like at all.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Uh, does this mean their gonna make a SEPERATE Ant-man movie? I don't know how that would work...like at all.
Yes. Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish have been working on it for like 3 years now.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

....weiiiiiiiiiiiiiiird. Never really saw him as a leading man tell you the truth.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

....weiiiiiiiiiiiiiiird. Never really saw him as a leading man tell you the truth.
Me neither, but with Edgar Wright behind it I have been pretty interested, and the direction he wanted to go with it sounded pretty awesome.
Edgar Wright said:
“I know there’s a big stigma attached to it, mostly because every movie about shrinking has been about people in peril. I think it’d be great to do a shrinking film about a bad-ass secret agent.”
“Even something like The Incredible Shrinking Man, which is a fantastic film, is about a guy in trouble. But this is going to be nothing like that. It’s essentially a high-tech spy heist film with somebody with a very particular power.”​

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah that is true, I freaking loved Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, and Scott Pilgrim.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

A superhero version of Honey I Shunk the Kids. I would pay good flipping money for that.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Do you mean you keep saying this? Cause it sounds like, y'know....

And I agree.
Yes.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Am I the only one hoping they somehow include Hostess snack products in the movie? Like, let's say Loki teleports into the Avengers mansion. Tony Stark, not knowing who Loki is and trying to be polite, offers him a Fruit Pie. They were such a trope in comics throughout the 70s and 80s.

http://tomheroes.com/Comic Ads/hostess ads/hostess_ads.htm

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Am I the only one hoping they somehow include Hostess snack products in the movie?
Well, if you were, you aren't anymore.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Back then the Hostess ad was normally better than the comic itself...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Back then the Hostess ad was normally better than the comic itself...
HEYO!

If this is how they beat the enemy I will watch it elleven times.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Light, flaky crust! Real fruit filling! I seem to remember those things burning the inside of my mouth.

The best line in these ads? "They knoweth of yon delicious snack." Speaking of which, I hope Thor has at least one line in archaic English, even if it's just "Verily!" or "I say thee NAY!"

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Light, flaky crust! Real fruit filling! I seem to remember those things burning the inside of my mouth.

The best line in these ads? "They knoweth of yon delicious snack." Speaking of which, I hope Thor has at least one line in archaic English, even if it's just "Verily!" or "I say thee NAY!"
I remember when Dexter's lab parodied this:

Down right with the weird villain and everything.

evilmike

evilmike

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes Season 2 Trailer

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

How is that show? I haven't heard many people talk about it.

Covar

Covar

Wonderful. Everything you want out of an Avengers tv show. Hell I'll go ahead and say it's better than the comic has been in recent years. For another Marvel tv show comparrison, It's Spectacular Spider-man good.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

But it's not Iron Man: Armored Adventures good. That show is easily the best of the DC bunch right now, with it's Ultimates-inspired universe. They've even been able to handle crossovers well.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But it's not Iron Man: Armored Adventures good. That show is easily the best of the DC bunch right now, with it's Ultimates-inspired universe. They've even been able to handle crossovers well.
I could not get past that show being a weaponized Dawson's Creek.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Hell I'll go ahead and say it's better than the comic has been in recent years.
Considering the way the comic has been, that's not saying much. I'll have to check it out then.

Covar

Covar

Avengers keeps teasing me. Every so often it hints at the team actually facing villains, but then it just falls right back to "hero" vs "hero" drama with splash pages of people posing in stances that might remind of someone throwing a punch or something.

*goes back to reading Daredevil*

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Avengers keeps teasing me. Every so often it hints at the team actually facing villains, but then it just falls right back to "hero" vs "hero" drama with splash pages of people posing in stances that might remind of someone throwing a punch or something.

*goes back to reading Daredevil*
How's the new DareDevil by the way? I heard the reboot kinda sucked.

Covar

Covar

You heard wrong sir. Daredevil is the best book currently being published by Marvel. Amazing art, wonderful writing, marvelous movement, and choice characterization. Matt Murdock is getting his life back on track as the 10 years of "Lets just make shittier and shittier things happen to the Man Without Fear" is finally over, and he actually gets to win. Also fairly, and sadly, unique in a Marvel book, he's actively fighting crime, stopping bad guys, and engaging in super-heroics. I cannot recommend this book enough.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

You heard wrong sir. Daredevil is the best book currently being published by Marvel. Amazing art, wonderful writing, marvelous movement, and choice characterization. Matt Murdock is getting his life back on track as the 10 years of "Lets just make shittier and shittier things happen to the Man Without Fear" is finally over, and he actually gets to win. Also fairly, and sadly, unique in a Marvel book, he's actively fighting crime, stopping bad guys, and engaging in super-heroics. I cannot recommend this book enough.
Cool! Speaking of red supers, anyone know if Spider-man is good anymore?

Covar

Covar

I heard Dan Slott writes good things, but Spider-man is still dead to me.

fade

fade

I could not get past that show being a weaponized Dawson's Creek.
Completely agree. Armored adventures spends too much time on the Wambulance.

fade

fade

I couldn't get into Spectacular spider-man. I couldn't even make it past the first few episodes. I thought the art was lazy and the stories dumbed down.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I heard Dan Slott writes good things, but Spider-man is still dead to me.
What put the nail in the coffin? One more day, anti-venom, turning Flash Thompson into Venom, or one of the other many terrible things that have been doen in Spider-man story-lines.

Covar

Covar

One More Day followed by Quesada's half assed excuses for it, which were nothing more than veiled insults of the audience's intelligence.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

One More Day followed by Quesada's half assed excuses for it, which were nothing more than veiled insults of the audience's intelligence.
Undestandable. I mean, the mere fact that the right way for them to break-up is for Spidey to MAKE A DEAL WITH THE DEVIL is rediculous. And this is coming from a guy who used to voluntarily worship the devil.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I read this thread, and thought no... Eddie Brock came back as antivenom?

No... Don't... Don't tell me he's white with a black spider. He can't be, he....

*looks it up*
GODDAMMIT HE'S WHITE WITH A BLACK SPIDER.

fade

fade

[that's racist.gif]

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I'm still waiting for that to load fade

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I read this thread, and thought no... Eddie Brock came back as antivenom?

No... Don't... Don't tell me he's white with a black spider. He can't be, he....

*looks it up*
GODDAMMIT HE'S WHITE WITH A BLACK SPIDER.
Yeah...yeah it is just as stupid as we all thought it would be. This would be a good character if it WAS ANYONE BUT EDDIE BROCK! MAKE EDDIE VENOM AGAIN! Flash is not Venom with the symbiote, he is just a guy with a symbiote who uses guns. Basically Spawn....which is a clear rip of Venom. Cyclical ain't it?

Bowielee

Bowielee

It's been so long since I've followed Spider-Man. It's literally been since the Clone Saga. I think I stopped reading around the time that they killed off Dr. Octapus. Since then, the only Spider-Man I've read are tie-ins for crossovers, like Civil War and Siege. They have done everything in their power to destroy the character of Spider-Man, none more-so than One More Day. HEROS DO NOT MAKE DEALS WITH SATAN, especially Spider-Man. If I recall, there were many times before that when Mephisto has tried to tempt Peter, but he's always refused and proved to be the better man. There are no words strong enough to express how much I hate what Joe Quesada has done to my former favorite super hero.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

When it comes to comics, I'd rather just reread the old Silver Age issues and forget the modern series even exist. Although when it comes to TV series, I much prefer the new Avengers cartoon over any of the 60s shows.

Bowielee

Bowielee

That's cause the new Avengers cartoon is AWESOME. I was good with most comics up until the late 90s, then I just gave up on it all except for the occasional trade.

fade

fade

Wasn't it MJ who made the deal?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wasn't it MJ who made the deal?
MJ made a different deal, I think.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

It's been so long since I've followed Spider-Man. It's literally been since the Clone Saga. I think I stopped reading around the time that they killed off Dr. Octapus. Since then, the only Spider-Man I've read are tie-ins for crossovers, like Civil War and Siege. They have done everything in their power to destroy the character of Spider-Man, none more-so than One More Day. HEROS DO NOT MAKE DEALS WITH SATAN, especially Spider-Man. If I recall, there were many times before that when Mephisto has tried to tempt Peter, but he's always refused and proved to be the better man. There are no words strong enough to express how much I hate what Joe Quesada has done to my former favorite super hero.
It actually got really good again when J Michael Stracynzki took over around 2000.... then it went down hill again.... and then back up again (I thought) during Civil War, until, well, y'know. The last Spider-Man I read, Peter had tracked the shooter that put Aunt May in the hospital, learned he was employed by the Kingpin, broke into prison and beat the ever-loving shit out of Kingpin in front of all the inmates, and told him if Aunt May died from that shot, he'd be coming back.

The Civil War was back when I had a subscription with Marvel that usually got me my issues 1-3 months after said issue was on the shelf at the comic book store, and I often received 2 of the same one. After the forementioned comic, they didn't send me another until part two of Brand New Day. And that's whe I stopped reading Amazing Spider-Man for the third time.

evilmike

evilmike

New TV spot

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

New TV spot
....I am seeing this fucking movie. I am seeing this FUCKING movie. BUT-got a bit of catchin' up in the movies.

fade

fade

Demigod?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

In the Marvel sense, sure. His father, Odin, would be considered a full-on god.

Bowielee

Bowielee

*pushes up nerd glasses*

Technically, Thor being a Demi-god or actual God depends on which interpretation you're reading. Norse mythology isn't as tightly chronicled as many other religions. Generally, in most of the poetic eddas, Thor is the son of Jord, who is alternately referred to as a giantess and a goddess, so he could be either or.

ElJuski

ElJuski

thank you, Halforums, for restoring my faith in humanity with this conversation about a line in a movie that is in a tv commercial clip.

Bowielee

Bowielee

MJ made a different deal, I think.
Due to the backlash similar to what I said above, they retconned it so that it was MJ that made the deal, freeing Peter from the actual responsibility.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I believe That Random Guy estimated the worst that could come:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Would've been funnier if he'd gotten into some actual worst case scenarios of how the movie could actually be screwed up.

Like Joss Whedon killing a character solely for shock value.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Would've been funnier if he'd gotten into some actual worst case scenarios of how the movie could actually be screwed up.

Like Joss Whedon killing a character solely for shock value.
WASH.jpg

If he does, it'll be Hawkeye. He's the only one Marvel won't be able to spin off into their own successful film franchise.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Also referring to Buffy stuff, but yeah.

Just because someone's leaving a show doesn't mean you have to kill their character. You never know when you'll need it again.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Just because someone's leaving a show doesn't mean you have to kill their character. You never know when you'll need it again.
It sounds better than Sharona's reason for leaving Monk. Why the hell would she get back together with her husband? She hated that guy!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It sounds better than Sharona's reason for leaving Monk. Why the hell would she get back together with her husband? She hated that guy!
Which is why she finally dumped his ass in the final season. It's why the skinny cop guy took that job in Jersey: He wanted a shot with Sharona.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Speaking of Monk, it was one of the few series that I thought the ending really brought closure to everything.

fade

fade

One early loose end that sort of got chuck cunninghammed was that he would uncharacteristically forget he'd already solved some part of Trudy's murder. I was sort of wondering where they were going with that. I also didn't much care for the issue where Randy finally tried to stand on his own by taking over his family farm, except it was really Monk who did all the work in the end.

fade

fade

But those are minor blemishes. Monk was truly an excellent show. Very good at sucker punching you with dialogue ("I'll tell her the rest when I see her tomorrow").

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

So keep watching Monk then? Okey dokey.

Covar

Covar

*pushes up nerd glasses*

Technically, Thor being a Demi-god or actual God depends on which interpretation you're reading. Norse mythology isn't as tightly chronicled as many other religions. Generally, in most of the poetic eddas, Thor is the son of Jord, who is alternately referred to as a giantess and a goddess, so he could be either or.
Comparing Marvel Thor to actual Norse mythology is a bit like comparing the lyrical stylings of Led Zeppelin and the Backstreet Boys.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Because of the fancy language, people tend to forget that many of shakespeares plays were basically the Porkies of the time.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Ugh I read up into the newer books and

he killed Giles in a stupid, shocking way out of fucking nowhere like he did Anya. I was so pissed. Angel goes evil and snaps Giles' neck like a twig, takes all of like two pages. Bad enough he'd already killed off Wesley and Fred in Angel.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The guy who played Wesley wanted out, I think. He'd been in an accident and part of his face was paralyzed, so it made doing his role very difficult. There is a reason they used the same fucking camera angles for him all the final season.

Besides, death is cheap in the Buffy-verse: Doyle was supposed to come back in the last season but his actor died. Same could have been done for Wesley. Same could be done for Giles.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

lolspoilers

At this point it's all in comic form so he can bring back whoever he wants. So far, he's shown the various dead characters, I think even Tara, coming in as spirits, and as far as I can remember, nothing since. Hell he's even killed off love interests after only a few issues in the comics. There's the option, sure, but outside of Buffy, Angel and Spike I don't think anyone's ever revived permanently. I think Joss just likes using death as a climax.

Anyway, back to Avengers. I'm stupid excited for this movie and I hope it's awesome. Definitely feeling some of that Whedon banter in the trailers, too.

Also, Lou Ferrigno is the voice of the Hulk, haha.

fade

fade

Halforums always makes me want to watch Angel. I tried back when it was on the air, but I just couldn't get into it. Cordelia is just irritating to no end. Plus, with the exception of Firefly, I never could get past Whedon's fake-real dialogue. "We're talking like real people, only real people don't say stuff like this" kind of crap. Which worked in FF because it's sci-fi.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Halforums always makes me want to watch Angel. I tried back when it was on the air, but I just couldn't get into it. Cordelia is just irritating to no end. Plus, with the exception of Firefly, I never could get past Whedon's fake-real dialogue. "We're talking like real people, only real people don't say stuff like this" kind of crap. Which worked in FF because it's sci-fi.
Angel was really slow the first season. I hate telling people to stick it out, but really I found it hits a stride in season two and beyond. It feels a little too crime-drama at first, and they didn't flesh out Cordelia enough in the first season past her Sunnydale persona (which is never truly dropped, but added into her character through the show and her own personal growth as a person).

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I really don't think Angel really picks up until they settle into the hotel. That's when most of the major cast starts showing up (Gunn, Fred, Lorn) and the over-arching plot of the rest of the seasons really takes off.

Norris

Norris

The guy who played Wesley wanted out, I think. He'd been in an accident and part of his face was paralyzed, so it made doing his role very difficult. There is a reason they used the same fucking camera angles for him all the final season.
According to Wikipedia, it was Bell's Palsy and he's well over it now. More than likely, they killed off Wesley for the same dramatic reasons supporting characters die every time Whedon ends a series: so the heroes don't come out of the conflict completely unscathed. I actually kind of like it. His series tend to end with big conflicts against powerful foes for the fate of the world or at least a big piece of it. Killing off a main character, in my opinion, actually makes the victory mean a bit more.

Which means, I think, The Avengers and their supporting casts are safe...until Marvel ends the series. Then Whedon will kill off Hawkeye, The Warriors Three, Betty Ross, and Iron Man. Tony will deliver the following speech before sacrificing himself

Pepper, listen to me, listen. I love you. I will always love you. But this is the work that I have to do. Tell Cap… tell Steve I figured it out. And, and I'm okay. And give my love to the team. You have to take care of them now. You have to take care of each other. Pepper, the hardest thing in this world… is to live in it. Be brave. Live… for me.
At the end of the movie, Pepper will get the Rescue armor. Cap will ask her how the armor is and she'll say that it's untested but it'll fly.

CREDITS

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Oh that's right... it was Mark Hamill that had the car accident, not him. My bad.

Also, I'd love to see Marvel adapt it's Civil War story, if only so I can see Robert Downey Jr. be the biggest asshole EVER.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Regarding the Wesley thing, and dude, that really should have been spoilered.

It was the last show of the series, so it wouldn't have anything to do with actor issues, and they let him go out in a blaze of glory. His death is an example of a properly done death, not Anya's. I still rage about that.
"She died saving my life"
"That's my girl, always doing the stupid thing" FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's how you react when the love of your life is killed? REALLY?????????????
Compare that to:
"Would you like me to lie to you now?"
"Yes, please."
Still makes me cry every time I watch it.
As for the comic, I haven't made it all the way through "season 8", but the whole Buffy getting in a lesbian relationship thing kind of made me put down the comic.

Norris

Norris

Regarding the Wesley thing, and dude, that really should have been spoilered.
Eight years. That's how long ago the final episode of Angel aired. Eight years. A child born on the day that episode aired would be in second grade right now. There was a three and a half year running comic book series that detailed what happened after. For the last eight months, there has been another series detailing what happened after the last series. Reasonable spoiler free period is over.

Speaking of which, the Buffy Season Nine comics have been much better than season eight. I think Joss wrote the franchise into corner when he thought it was over for good. Season nine is a lot more back to basics.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Oh that's right... it was Mark Hamill that had the car accident, not him. My bad.

Also, I'd love to see Marvel adapt it's Civil War story, if only so I can see Robert Downey Jr. be the biggest asshole EVER.
Easiest joke ever to make. And yet I won't.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Eight years. That's how long ago the final episode of Angel aired. Eight years. A child born on the day that episode aired would be in second grade right now. There was a three and a half year running comic book series that detailed what happened after. For the last eight months, there has been another series detailing what happened after the last series. Reasonable spoiler free period is over.

Speaking of which, the Buffy Season Nine comics have been much better than season eight. I think Joss wrote the franchise into corner when he thought it was over for good. Season nine is a lot more back to basics.
No, I think he was just excited that he was no longer held by the restraints of reality with his writing. Even he admits that it was too much.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

That's the great thing about comics, no actors to quit on ya!

evilmike

evilmike

Black Widow Clip

Covar

Covar

View attachment 5248

Norse Mythology is no less simple stories about superpowered being than anything Marvel writes. Similar to the way Shakespearean plays were considered low-brow theatre, the format may change, but the purpose remains the same: entertainment.
Fine then. Nirvana and the Foo Fighters. Both rock bands, but the only thing they really have in common is the drummer.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Fine then. Nirvana and the Foo Fighters. Both rock bands, but the only thing they really have in common is the drummer.
/nitpick Nope, both bands have different drummers... /nitpick off

Covar

Covar

/nitpick Nope, both bands have different drummers... /nitpick off
:fu:

[edit] wait a second! gramatically, my statement still holds. :dumb:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

What did Taylor Hawkins play in Nirvana?

Adam

Adammon

What did Taylor Hawkins play in Nirvana?
The shotgun?

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

By the way, Order of the Stick parodied the Hostess ads too.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0091.html

Bowielee

Bowielee

:fu:

[edit] wait a second! gramatically, my statement still holds. :dumb:
The nitpick was that Dave Grohl isn't the drummer in Foo Fighters. Will Goldsmith is.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The shotgun?
And remember folks, that ain't a woodwind...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I've been wanting to get into Thor forever. Anyone know how good the old stories are?

evilmike

evilmike

More new footage:

"Hulk, smash."

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah, definitely seeing this movie. Don't even care that I haven't seen all the movies in the continuity before it, I'm fucking seeing it.

evilmike

evilmike

Yeah, definitely seeing this movie. Don't even care that I haven't seen all the movies in the continuity before it, I'm fucking seeing it.
There is a solution to that (via CinemaBlend):

Frank

Frank

Ugh, I could not handle that.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So supposedly a game coming out may have spoiled something about the movie.

One of the figures is a Skrull, which is odd considering Marvel kept saying for awhile it was not going to end up being the Skrulls.

Maybe they are just trying to throw people off.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Is it a video game, because they may be avoiding just duplicating the movie, a la Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Is it a video game, because they may be avoiding just duplicating the movie, a la Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters.
Nope it's some figure game supposedly based on people that appear in the movie, though it DOES have Heimdall...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/DGTZ/news/?a=57499

While the aliens in the movie don't look like Skrulls, we should remember Skrulls are shape-changers and conquerors, for all we know this is the Skrulls hiding in other forms or just a race of people they conquered, while the "real" Skrulls do some infiltration into the planet during the chaos.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

There is a solution to that (via CinemaBlend):
*SSGNAOENANOE* You can't tell but that is the sound of me drooling. An entire marathon of comic book movies that don't suck! YES!

Norris

Norris

*SSGNAOENANOE* You can't tell but that is the sound of me drooling. An entire marathon of comic book movies that don't suck! YES!
Tickets are like forty bucks.

GasBandit

GasBandit

And you have to see the 3d versions, it looks like.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Tickets are like forty bucks.
And a normal movie usually costs me 20 bucks. This is six movies for 40 bucks. Generally a good deal.

bhamv3

bhamv3

20 bucks? Dude, where do you live?

Bowielee

Bowielee

Here in the back woods of wisconsin, it's 11.00 for a normal movie, 13.00 for a 3d one, unless you go to a matinee and I think that only shaves a dollar off the price.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I think I only pay like 8-9 bucks for a movie here, but I only go maybe 2-3 times a year.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

It costs $12 for a normal movie in San Diego, $16 for 3D. In College Station's one theater, tickets are $5 if you have your university ID.

I miss living in South Korea, where movie tickets were 4000 to 7000 Won ($2.50-$4).

Bowielee

Bowielee

Man, I wish more places gave student discounts. Back when I was a terrible student and didn't know how to manage money, every place had student discounts. Now that I'm back and responsible and do know how to manage my money, I have to pay full price for everything :p

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

$6 matinee 2D.

Norris

Norris

The theaters in my home town cost about $5 if you go in the morning and $7.50 (depending on the day) if you go in the afternoon, only costing the full $8.75 or $10 if you go after 4PM or so (depending on the theater). Tack on an extra two to three bucks for 3D, which I don't because why bother with 3D when most movies don't spend the money to make it an integral part of the experience So yeah, when Avengers comes out I'll probably see it around 10AM opening day for $5 bucks plus somewhere around $10 for snacks.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Fuck the snacks. I could see two more movies for the price of drink + popcorn. Not worth it; better to just eat a good breakfast before the matinee.

Getting snacks is what turns a nice trip to the movies into a $40 ordeal.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

20 bucks? Dude, where do you live?
The fanciest town in all of New Jersey, a place where the proletariat like you could NEVER live. Plus most of the price is in snacks.

Norris

Norris

Fuck the snacks. I could see two more movies for the price of drink + popcorn. Not worth it; better to just eat a good breakfast before the matinee.

Getting snacks is what turns a nice trip to the movies into a $40 ordeal.
See, I find a popcorn and a drink (usually an icee) to be vital to the movie going experience.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

See, I find a popcorn and a drink (usually an icee) to be vital to the movie going experience.
Like 3D? :awesome:

My income's limited, so it's a priority to me to see more movies over snacks, but if I had the money, I'd probably splurge too. I just got used to in college going to the movie, wanting to see more, and figuring out how to best keep the money down so I could go again.

Reminds me of when my ex and I went to the movies. After a couple times, she said she didn't like going with me because I "just wanted to watch the movie." Yeah, I thought that was the idea; if she wanted to make out, we could go somewhere else for free.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Avengers _ Black Widow _ Shup up I wear heels.png

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I sneak SO MUCH FOOD into movie theaters.

Baerdog

Baerdog

See, the trick is to just make a friend who works at the theater so you can go see movies for free and get cheap concessions.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

There's a reason I wear cargo shorts at the movies. I can smuggle in four cans of soda and assorted candy bars. Heh, I remember a friend's Mom who took us to the movies when we were kids. She'd bring a massive purse that looked more like a duffel bag. She had sodas, brown bags full of popcorn, red vines, the works.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

One good thing about Oakville was that there was a cheap theatre where tickets were $8 ($10 for 3D, $4 for a matinee, $5 for a matinee in3D). Snack prices were also ridiculously cheap. On a matinee night you could get the ticket, a large popcorn and a medium Coke (NOBODY needs a large movie theatre Coke, seriously), for less than the student discounted price of just one ticket at an AMC or a Famous Players.

And despite that, they didn't care one bit if you brought food in. "Sneak" food in? Please. Come right in with a big opened bag of Swedish Berries, and a bulging Shoppers Drug Mart bag from next door in your right hand, and a litre bottle of Coke in your left, they wouldn't even say anything. No need for backpacks, deep pockets, or for girls to bring their big purse.

The screen was small, but the sound quality was better than the nearest AMC.

Norris

Norris

The theater my cousin works at has the the quasi official policy of "if we don't see actually see it, feel free to bring it in". Bulge shaped like a two liter in your jacket? Here's your tickets! Your purse is leaking butter? Enjoy the show! Put your bags of Subway Sandwiches on the counter to free up your hands while you buy a ticket (tickets and concessions bought at the same counter)?* We can't let you bring that into the theater, ma'am.

*Actually happened, allegedly.

Espy

Espy

Interesting thing: Ebert posted an article a while back about why refreshments are so high at theaters. Apparently it's because thats really the only thing they make much money off of.

Norris

Norris

Interesting thing: Ebert posted an article a while back about why refreshments are so high at theaters. Apparently it's because thats really the only thing they make much money off of.
According to my cousin, the theater takes something like less than 25% of ticket proceeds the first week a movie is out. Second week is something like 40%, and so on and so forth. Meanwhile, any profit they get off the concessions is 100% theirs. So yeah.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

It's not even a challenge to sneak into a theater any more. You just buy snacks, go to the bath-room, wait five minutes than go see your movie. Simple. Course...if I brought my OWN food I wouldn't have to pay ANY money! Must buy more baggies.

klew

klew

It's not even a challenge to sneak into a theater any more. You just buy snacks, go to the bath-room, wait five minutes than go see your movie. Simple. Course...if I brought my OWN food I wouldn't have to pay ANY money! Must buy more baggies.
Depends on your cinema set-up. My home local theaters have the restrooms near the concessions stands, then the auditoriums behind the ticket taker/checker, which means anyone in can come buy food without buying a ticket (since food sales are all profit, theater owners don't mind this).

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Depends on your cinema set-up. My home local theaters have the restrooms near the concessions stands, then the auditoriums behind the ticket taker/checker, which means anyone in can come buy food without buying a ticket (since food sales are all profit, theater owners don't mind this).
Same with mine! I'm pretty sure they don't care cos statistically they get more money from snacks than they do movies.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, unless it's opening night, they don't even have people checking tickets at the theaters up here.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

They ain't gettin' payed enough to give a shit man. I remember reading that webcomic "Multiplex" and one of the ushers ratted out some kids sneaking in. That is when I stopped reading. I was like "Yeah...no. This is not real. No theater worker gives a shit who sneaks in."

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They do it around here still, but Regal's a fairly large chain so it may be corporate policy.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

They do it around here still, but Regal's a fairly large chain so it may be corporate policy.
Don't worry, once people in your area remember what downloads are they won't give a crap.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

They ain't gettin' payed enough to give a shit man. I remember reading that webcomic "Multiplex" and one of the ushers ratted out some kids sneaking in. That is when I stopped reading. I was like "Yeah...no. This is not real. No theater worker gives a shit who sneaks in."
Shame you're letting that fact that a character was a bit more strict than you think he should be turn you off that comic. It's a solid webcomic, largely because of the character work.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'm usually wary when someone praises a webcomic for their character work, but all this talk intrigues me, and I am going to give this comic a half-assed shot.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Shame you're letting that fact that a character was a bit more strict than you think he should be turn you off that comic. It's a solid webcomic, largely because of the character work.
Well I've read quite a bit of it actually, and there are...other reasons I don't like it. Mostly the story-line where Dub's girlfriend cheated on him with that new manager that everybody liked. Did...she ever show signs of cheating before? I don't think she did. It just felt really out of the blue in my opinion especially since this character didn't really have much of a personality to begin with. THIS was when I really stopped reading. Talking about Kurt I just don't like as comic foil. Even for satire, he just comes off as such a douche. Who tricks someone into thinking that their having a seasure? That's not funny that is cruel and messed up! Yet HE is the one who gets the promotion. And finally Jason...I don't care for his troubles. I could care less about what goes on in his life. I know he's the male lead and I'm supposed to relate to him but I just don't. Also, remember when he left the theater for a while to work at a pizza place? Just a while. And then he came back? It felt...pointless! A similar story-line was in the American sitcom "The Office" where Jim left the Scranton Branch for the Stamford Branch. When he comes back he realizes that Scranton is his true home and we see him as a changed person. THAT is character development. In Multiplex his leaving was just....something that happened.

Not saying I can't see why you like it, it just ain't my cup of tea.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Fair enough, long as you gave it a real shot. I could debate with a number of the things you mention, but that would just boil down to a lot of arguing over personal opinions, so I'll leave it. Also, not sure whether I should thank you or hate you since this made me re-read it today. On the one hand, I enjoyed doing so, on the other hand, there went my afternoon...

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Fair enough, long as you gave it a real shot. I could debate with a number of the things you mention, but that would just boil down to a lot of arguing over personal opinions, so I'll leave it. Also, not sure whether I should thank you or hate you since this made me re-read it today. On the one hand, I enjoyed doing so, on the other hand, there went my afternoon...
Were posting on a forum dude. We've ALL wasted our afternoons.

evilmike

evilmike

Strange -- the movie has already had its premiere screening... and apparently they aren't done filming?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I love how you guys brag about how cheap movies are for you... $5 - $3 matinees. No 3D though. It freaks my friends from Houston out. They offer to pay for a group of friends, and the bill is $20. "I said 4 tickets..."

Frank

Frank

The tickets at the theater I frequent aren't the cheapest at 12.50 for a regular screening and 16 for the AVX theater (which I gladly pay). Add 3 bucks to each for 3D.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I love how you guys brag about how cheap movies are for you... $5 - $3 matinees. No 3D though. It freaks my friends from Houston out. They offer to pay for a group of friends, and the bill is $20. "I said 4 tickets..."
....well time to pack my bags for Houston then! Four tickets damn.

BananaHands

BananaHands

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Man, that dialogue is so...Whedony.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Man, that dialogue is so...Whedony.
Only that last line, really.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It struck me as very Buffy/Big Bad monologue, but then I liked Buffy quite a bit so it doesn't really bother me. I'm more curious to see the banter between the Avengers themselves.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah, that could just as easily have been Badger and Mal.

That doesn't in any way discourage me.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The tickets at the theater I frequent aren't the cheapest at 12.50 for a regular screening and 16 for the AVX theater (which I gladly pay). Add 3 bucks to each for 3D.
I honestly got Pizza Pizza tonight, just because the pizza came with an admit 2 for one ticket for the movies, and this comes out soon. See, I plan ahead!

Frank

Frank

the theater near my place is about 25 dollars CND a showing.
Fuck.

Terrik

Terrik

I get my 3D tickets for $7-8 because I buy them online.

Terrik

Terrik

yeah that's what my wife does. Even then, I prefer paying 1$ for a (legitimate) dvd and watching things a little later at home. At least then you don't have to put up with the constant talking and phone conversations that are considered normal in movie theaters here (seriously, I never experienced anything like it in Canada.)
True enough. I do like the whole "Pick your seat when you buy the ticket" thing. Also I discovered I can also go to convenience stores like Lawson to buy tickets for the same price as online. I personally enjoy the theater experience when all is said and done. Although every time they want to charge me 20RMB for a bottle of water I want to punch them in the face.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

it would also be nice if there was some buttery salty popcorn.
Butter and salt. You're mad, man.

Terrik

Terrik

And Parmesan cheese.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

And my axe!

Wait, no, hang on...

evilmike

evilmike

Joss Whedon has officially clarified the nature of the enemy in the movie. (via ComicBookMovie)
"The alien race are the Chitauri -- or a version of them -- because they are not one of the key races and they don’t have a storied history. That wasn’t the point. I know this debate will go on long after I’m dead. I would say it was the Kree-Skrull race."

evilmike

evilmike

The first batch of reviews are in on Rotten Tomatoes. Right now it's +24/-1 (96%).

evilmike

evilmike

What if the Avengers had been made in the 1970's?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The first batch of reviews are in on Rotten Tomatoes. Right now it's +24/-1 (96%).
Incidentally the only "Rotten" review so far, was still 3/5, and was from a critic who has declared every Marvel film so far "Rotten". She also refers to Nick Fury as "Nick Frost", so she couldn't have been paying that much attention.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

What if the Avengers had been made in the 1970's?
Ok, I lost it when Hawkeye from Mash showed up.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Ok, I lost it when Hawkeye from Mash showed up.

spoilers

Norris

Norris

Incidentally the only "Rotten" review so far, was still 3/5, and was from a critic who has declared every Marvel film so far "Rotten". She also refers to Nick Fury as "Nick Frost", so she couldn't have been paying that much attention.
That...would have been a very interesting movie.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Paul Lynde as Loki... I MUST see this.

fade

fade

Wasn't that thor movie from the mid 80s though?

PatrThom

PatrThom

That was "The Return of the Incredible Hulk," I believe.

--Patrick

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

So far the only negative reviews seem to be a Marvel hating woman amd an obscure reviewer who admits he is fishing for hits.

If those are the only Rottens so far, I am in good spirits about this movie reaching my expectations.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Since I'm in the UK, I saw it tonight. It's freakin' AMAZING! Good script, awesome action sequences, the obligatory Stan Lee cameo, and the post-credits scene that leaves you wanting more.

But you know how Joss Whedon tends to kill off likeable characters? Yeah... well, he still needs to break that habit.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So far the only negative reviews seem to be a Marvel hating woman amd an obscure reviewer who admits he is fishing for hits.
Marvel hating woman? Ohh... you mean the woman who said she didn't like it, so now she has to deal with thousands of sweaty, angry nerds harassing her and making sexist comments about her ability to write because she DARED to touch the golden cow that was The Avengers? You know, the woman who's been getting death and rape threats over this? That one?

ElJuski

ElJuski

Wow, really? Death threats? I mean, I can understand calling her bias for something like this (even if they haven't seen the fucking movie, they really have no right)...but goddamn, nerds sometime.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Yeah, that's a bit much. Anyways, back to the movie. I can definitely see myself watching it three times in theaters. It's totally worth it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Marvel hating woman? Ohh... you mean the woman who said she didn't like it, so now she has to deal with thousands of sweaty, angry nerds harassing her and making sexist comments about her ability to write because she DARED to touch the golden cow that was The Avengers? You know, the woman who's been getting death and rape threats over this? That one?
Obviously those kinds of orverreactions are completely absurd, opinions being just that; opinions, and especially since she's actually seen it while 99% of those responses come from people who haven't, but seeing as every single review of a Marvel movie she's done she's said was "rotten" (even if she also gave it a positive score), I don't think it's unfair to look at her reviews and see "hmm, she hates marvel movies." She does.

Doesn't mean send her death threats or even insult her, nor does it necessarily mean her taste in all movies is questionable, but it does demonstrate that she isn't a fan of these types of movies.

ElJuski

ElJuski

No but she deserves to die because she's wrong and Captain America is the coolest

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Doesn't mean send her death threats or even insult her, nor does it necessarily mean her taste in all movies is questionable, but it does demonstrate that she isn't a fan of these types of movies.
Didn't say she was right (she's probably not). Just saying that she doesn't deserve any of what she's getting.

Tress

Tress

Didn't say she was right (she's probably not). Just saying that she doesn't deserve any of what she's getting.
I'm pretty sure no one here is arguing that she deserves it at all. I'm also pretty sure no one has made any comments similar to what you're talking about.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Tress yes, Tress. Really. With complete sincerity. Absolutely this woman deserves to be berated and ridiculed because she did not like a movie that most people haven't even seen yet.

But yeah, either way. Still excited to see the movie. PLUS, we get to see the final Dark Knight Rises trailer beforehand!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Fair enough. I'm probably on a hair trigger... had to deal with an idiot who thought that kind of stuff was perfectly acceptable today.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Yeah, but really, is anyone arguing for or against that? It's just funny to get into that mindset of the furious zealot: "YEAH LETS YELL AT THAT BITCH"

Tress

Tress

Tress yes, Tress. Really. With complete sincerity. Absolutely this woman deserves to be berated and ridiculed because she did not like a movie that most people haven't even seen yet.
I could tell you were being your usual sarcastic self. I'm wondering why in the fuck you replied with a smartass comment right after someone put together a sincere critique of her reviews. It's possible to dislike her review and not support the misogynistic assholes

ElJuski

ElJuski

because who gives a shit?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm not commenting on whether she's right or wrong (which isn't possible because opinions are subjective, and I wouldn't know what my own opinion is anyway as I haven't seen it). I'm just commenting on ScythRexx calling her "Marvel hating woman" which is accurate, if maybe a little dramatic, but arguably, justified, and those morons overreacting and sending her death threats, which are completely and inarguably unjustified.

Basically nobody in this thread disagrees with anyone else in this thread and we're all saying the same thing but everyone's arguing anyway.

ElJuski

ElJuski

SHUTUP

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I was not saying anything towards her review skills or implying I wanted her dead, I was pointing out she seems to hate Marvel movies. Every movie she reviews that is a Marvel super hero movie is derided and marked as Rotten, she does not seem to like any of them. Considering I liked a lot of those movies, I am simply pointing out my idea of a good movie does not mesh at all with her, thus why I am still excited.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, with all that hashed out and set straight... let us go kill a woman.

Frank

Frank

Wow, really? Death threats? I mean, I can understand calling her bias for something like this (even if they haven't seen the fucking movie, they really have no right)...but goddamn, nerds sometime.
Why I generally loathe other nerds.

Frank

Frank

Topless Robot has a spoiler of the button at the end of the movie today and me not being someone who generally cares about spoilers spoiled myself. YOU ARE WARNED.

Thanos

ElJuski

ElJuski

Why I generally loathe other nerds.
I think one of the biggest things that gets me about nerds is the same thing that gets me about any other zealous hobby-ist, that sort of us vs. them feverpitch, knee-jerk mentality. Because it's entirely possible to see a movie review and understand it is an opinion without getting emotionally invested in it. I'm going to see the Avengers movie regardless of what the majority of reviews say, because I want to see it. Oh well.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think one of the biggest things that gets me about nerds is the same thing that gets me about any other zealous hobby-ist, that sort of us vs. them feverpitch, knee-jerk mentality. Because it's entirely possible to see a movie review and understand it is an opinion without getting emotionally invested in it. I'm going to see the Avengers movie regardless of what the majority of reviews say, because I want to see it. Oh well.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I've known quite a few Anime Club Members in my time.

Dave

Dave

So... Avengers....

I just finished watching Captain America for the first time. Here's how I rate the movies leading up to the Avengers.

1. Iron Man (the first one)
  2. Incredible Hulk
  3. Captain America
  4. Iron Man 2
  5. .
  6. .
  7. .
  8. .
  9. .
  10. Thor
I thought Thor sucked. Captain America would have been higher up if it weren't for the outrageous tech they had. But it had a great story.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Captain America and Thor were both pretty damn lame. Thor had some funny moments, but as a whole, both Thor and Cap felt like they were just building up to Avengers. Which, lame.

Dave

Dave

Cap at least had a good story and was about Steve Rogers and his ascent. Thor was just really powerful and got his powers taken away until he *yawn* deserved them. Thor was so paint-by-numbers that it was painful to watch. Cap was really predictable, but at least it was a fun ride. Thor was just...painful.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I actually liked Captain America. It was predictable and cheesy, and not at all without its flaws but I kind of thought that was the genius of doing it the way they did. It was not just a superhero movie, but a pastiche of war time propaganda films at the same time, and so it was almost celebrating those flaws in a way that I was entertained by. Not as good as Iron Man, no. Maybe better than Incredible Hulk (It's been a while since I saw it. I remember liking it though, but a friend of mine who is a much bigger Hulk fan than me hated it).

Honestly Iron Man has been the only one so far that I've liked enough to own.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Saw avengers yesterday night... and I really liked it!

bhamv3

bhamv3

Just got back from Avengers. Like almost everyone else so far, I loved it.

It feels like Joss Whedon was just born to direct movies like this. The story doesn't really have any surprises, but it's the dialog and events along the way that make the movie worth watching.

Also... the Hulk is hilarious.

tegid

tegid

I watched it yesterday, and loved it, although some of the witty dialogue was lost in translation (gotta see it in the theater a second time, now in English).

Besides the script, Loki and Bruce Banner were strong points, and all the characters worked well together. It was fantastic, easily in my top 3 of superhero movies.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

At first I was like, "lucky bastards!" Then I realized you guys aren't seeing it in English and I think I can wait a week.

Frank

Frank

I actually liked Captain America. It was predictable and cheesy, and not at all without its flaws but I kind of thought that was the genius of doing it the way they did. It was not just a superhero movie, but a pastiche of war time propaganda films at the same time, and so it was almost celebrating those flaws in a way that I was entertained by. Not as good as Iron Man, no. Maybe better than Incredible Hulk (It's been a while since I saw it. I remember liking it though, but a friend of mine who is a much bigger Hulk fan than me hated it).

Honestly Iron Man has been the only one so far that I've liked enough to own.
I liked Captain America the most out of all of them because it's the only one with a villain that isn't terrible.

bhamv3

bhamv3

At first I was like, "lucky bastards!" Then I realized you guys aren't seeing it in English and I think I can wait a week.
I saw it in English, but with subtitles.

And yes, knowing English and being able to appreciate the jokes in their original form is better than relying on subtitles. There's one encounter between the Hulk and Loki that lost something in the translation, I think.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I saw it in English, but with subtitles.

And yes, knowing English and being able to appreciate the jokes in their original form is better than relying on subtitles. There's one encounter between the Hulk and Loki that lost something in the translation, I think.
Then I can shake my fist at you, but not the Spaniards.

Norris

Norris

Just bought tickets for me and my sister to see it opening day, in 3D, 4:40 PM. We'd see it earlier, but she's moving back from MSU that afternoon.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Jax

Jax

Damn this movie is awesome. I'd avoided everything since the first teaser trailer to avoid any spoilers and I had a smile on my face even from the opening credits when I saw Whedon's name until the very end.

I also can't believe this is out sooner here than in the US. Waiting sucks, doesn't it? :troll:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Honestly, I keep hearing people bitch about it being released overseas before it's released in North America. I don't mind. Seems fair to me.

Adam

Adam

It was pretty good. Hulk smash. Could use more Scarlett. Gina have to see it again to 'get it'.

KCWM

KCWM

I know little about it. I do like the line in the trailer where Stark, smugly, retorts with, "We have a Hulk". I can't wait for Friday night.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Well Peter Travers pretty much sums up what I expected it to be: Transformers with wit, humor and humanity. And that sounds like a perfect way to spend twelve bucks and a couple hours.

fade

fade

I know little about it. I do like the line in the trailer where Stark, smugly, retorts with, "We have a Hulk". I can't wait for Friday night.
See, this is where I know I must not be a full-blooded geek, because I find Whedony dialogue like that silly.

KCWM

KCWM

See, this is where I know I must not be a full-blooded geek, because I find Whedony dialogue like that silly.
I can understand that. I've always had a soft spot for Whedon, whether it be Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse, Firefly, and others. My wife and I even point out Buffyish dialogue in Grimm, which isn't a Whedon project, but has people that were involved with Buffy involved with it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The term, you philistine, is whedonesque.

kaykordeath

Minor spoilers ahead? I guess....

Saw it last night, and while I think the Nolan movies are GREAT films based on a comic book character, The Avengers is one of the best "super-hero" movies I think I've ever seen. It's certainly nothing new or revolutionary, you have the requisite, heroes butting heads, the one-liner quips (some of which weren't 100% predictable) and the unifying moment when they all have to come together...but the pieces just work together.

As great of a character as Tony is as the self-centered narcissist genius, I am always a fan of shades of grey, and what humanizing was attempted in Iron Man 2 was done miles better here in a single scene with Banner.

Loki feels like a major threat throughout the movie, even when captured fairly early, his presence is ALWAYS felt. The action scenes are superb. Over the top while just falling on the good side of being cheezy. The only down side is that, after serving their role early on (and serving it well) Hawkeye and Black Widow feel way out of place at the climax. Pistols just don't cut it.

And Mark Ruffalo's Banner/Hulk is the high point of the movie.

Random observation: The phrase "Avengers Assemble" (or the word "assemble" for that matter) appears nowhere in the film....at least as far as a I caught.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I thought Hawkeye and Black Widow did all right in the climactic battle, because...

The Chitauri are really really pansy mooks. I personally suspect they didn't call them the Skrulls because there are more Skrull fans out there, and they might get a bit upset that the mighty alien shapeshifter empire was reduced to cannon fodder/plot coupon in the movie. Heck, Captain America is capable of beating them up just as effectively as Thor is. Super-soldier serum or not, Cap can bash their heads in as well as a demi-god, which basically shows how weak individual Chitauri are. So yeah, pistols will probably do the trick, since these guys aren't all that threatening.

kaykordeath

I thought Hawkeye and Black Widow did all right in the climactic battle, because...

The Chitauri are really really pansy mooks. I personally suspect they didn't call them the Skrulls because there are more Skrull fans out there, and they might get a bit upset that the mighty alien shapeshifter empire was reduced to cannon fodder/plot coupon in the movie. Heck, Captain America is capable of beating them up just as effectively as Thor is. Super-soldier serum or not, Cap can bash their heads in as well as a demi-god, which basically shows how weak individual Chitauri are. So yeah, pistols will probably do the trick, since these guys aren't all that threatening.
As a non-Marvel reader, I'll happily take your word on that...and I'm familiar enough with the Skrulls and Krees but have no idea how the Chitauri relate to the Skrulls. Are they simply one and the same? Because, yeah, they REALLLLY come across as cannon fodder...I couldn't figure why they didn't send in waves of the eel-y things (as opposed to just a handfull...)

Jax

Jax

As a non-Marvel reader, I'll happily take your word on that...and I'm familiar enough with the Skrulls and Krees but have no idea how the Chitauri relate to the Skrulls. Are they simply one and the same? Because, yeah, they REALLLLY come across as cannon fodder...I couldn't figure why they didn't send in waves of the eel-y things (as opposed to just a handfull...)
Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that it's for cinematic reasons, dragging the fight out by increasing the difficulty gradually over time.
Plotwise, it feels like a kind of old school warfare thing (first send in the vanguard to test the enemy's strength, then push the main force forward) rather than an all-out invasion. Then there's also the 'wormhole' limitation, I think when they were about to send in a massive force of eels, Thor destroyed them and created a bottle-neck to keep the rest of the force contained (they even discussed this strategy).

What I don't get however is that since Loki can create any wormhole as he chooses with the tessaract, couldn't he have made a bigger one, so the invading army could enter all at once? Especially since the Chitauri had that BFM (Big Freakin Mothership).
AND that dumbass Counsel, they were pretty stereotypic and one-dimensional, up until the decision to nuke the city rather than to send the nukes through the wormhole and then detonate them..

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

The Chitauri are basically the "Ultimate" version of the Skrulls. The only time I remember really seeing the Chitauri used in more recent media (outside of the new movie, obviously) was that they were the main villains of the animated movie Ultimate Avengers in 2006. I actually find it really interesting that they decided to use them rather then true Skrulls, but I hear that might be due to 20th Century Fox owning the rights to use the Skrulls in a Fantastic Four movie.

Frank

Frank

The Chitauri are basically the "Ultimate" version of the Skrulls. The only time I remember really seeing the Chitauri used in more recent media (outside of the new movie, obviously) was that they were the main villains of the animated movie Ultimate Avengers in 2006. I actually find it really interesting that they decided to use them rather then true Skrulls, but I hear that might be due to 20th Century Fox owning the rights to use the Skrulls in a Fantastic Four movie.
Actually, Marvel could have called them Skrulls (they have co-rights with Fox on Skrulls) but decided against it saying that by not having them be shape shifting aliens they would be disrespecting the source material and by having them shape shift they would have made the movie too convoluted so they just went with the more generic Chitauri and just had them not be shape shifters.

That's what I read anyway.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Fuuuuuck, this week is so long.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Anybody see the latest cartoon episode? It's nice that they're introducing more superheroes.

I just about squealed with joy when Luke Cage said "Sweet Christmas!"

evilmike

evilmike

Covar

Covar

Schwarama.

BananaHands

BananaHands

...must...not...click...spoiler...tags...

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

My brother just got me this poster! From a street sign!

He got the Thor & Widow one.

Covar

Covar

So for everyone who's seen the international version of the movie, here's a screencap of the additional scene at the very end of the movie in the US release.

No dialog or anything, just ...

evilmike

evilmike

Just got back. I really enjoyed it. It's not perfect, but there were a lot of great things about it. I need to get some sleep and process before I can post more detailed observations.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Shawarma.

"That's my secret. I'm always angry."

Dave

Dave

That movie fucking rocked. Rocked. Joss Whedon again knocks it out of the park. This movie will make a bajillion dollars and deserves it!

BananaHands

BananaHands

Dave

Dave

That scene was great, although you couldn't hear Hulk's next line over the cheering of the audience.

Covar

Covar

That scene was great, although you couldn't hear Hulk's next line over the cheering of the audience.
Puny god

Jax

Jax

That's where subs came in handy :)

bhamv3

bhamv3

Puny god
That is correct. Best line in the movie.

Covar

Covar

That is correct. Best line in the movie.
What about..
"No offense mam, but there's only one God and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that."
or...
"He's adopted"
?

BananaHands

BananaHands

"He's adopted"
^

KCWM

KCWM

Ugh...can't wait another 8 hours to watch...might have to watch two showings

Edit - I'm not waiting 8 hours anymore. Now, I'm seeing it at 7:10 and 10:30p. Back to back, baby!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My best friend is on call this weekend, and he does not want me to "cheat" on him by not waiting to see it with him.

Might have to see it twice.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Best Part:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Going in the morning!

Soliloquy

If this movie does well enough, does that mean we get more Firefly?

Maybe?

Please?

GasBandit

GasBandit

If this movie does well enough, does that mean we get more Firefly?

Maybe?

Please?
Joss had to go and kill off half the damn crew in the movie, not sure I want more, now.

Felt like a temper tantrum for getting cancelled.

Norris

Norris

Well that was great. Just...fucking great. I can only imagine that it was even better at the marathon screenings they did yesterday, because this really is a damn saga. Still though,
Joss Whedon kills everyone we love. On the one hand, Coulson's death was very well done. On the other hand, my sister and I were both shocked for all of a second when it happened because of Tara, Anya, Fred, Book, Wash, Penny, Bennett, Mellie, Topher, and Ballard. It was like "OH GOD well that makes sense".

BananaHands

BananaHands

Joss Whedon kills everyone we love. On the one hand, Coulson's death was very well done. On the other hand, my sister and I were both shocked for all of a second when it happened because of Tara, Anya, Fred, Book, Wash, Penny, Bennett, Mellie, Topher, and Ballard. It was like "OH GOD well that makes sense".
I don't think Coulson is dead. I think that part about the bloody cards and conviction was hinting that he was still alive. The woman did say that the cards were in his locker and they were covered in blood.

bhamv3

bhamv3

What about..
"No offense mam, but there's only one God and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that."
or...
"He's adopted"
?
They were also good.

Also,
I believe Whedon has said that Coulson survived.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Must... avoid... spoilers... must wait... until... movie... tomorrow

So... tempted. So very, very tempted...

Frank

Frank

Yeah, I'm gonna go catch it tomorrow super early before fun work.

Gusto

Gusto

It were incredible.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Less than two hours. I'm salivating.

Maybe I should eat something.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Okay, wife wants to sleep in. So I'll just sit here and wait...

Would be postponed until tomorrow, but I remembered we have free anytime tickets from my aunts, so we don't have to do a matinee. Still gotta wait though. Now I know what torture feels like. :awesome:

evilmike

evilmike

The movie beat projections and brought in $80.5 Million on Friday. (via The Hollywood Reporter) The article also mentions that the movie earned an A+ Cinema Score

fade

fade

This movie is a comic book. I mean that in a very good way. Out of all the comic-derived movies I've seen, this one comes closest to capturing the spirit of the comics. Whedon did a really good job on the humor without going all Whedonesque. He has sort of played out that whole "this is going to be a really big fight--nah just kidding it's over right away" thing, but I guess it's still fresh for the people unfamiliar with his work. The only thing I didn't care much for was what seemed to be Whedon's personal interpretation of the relationship between Banner and the Hulk, but not enough to ruin anything else. I did like the Genre Savvy-ness. They always expected betrayal.

Who was the waitress? A Whedon? The camera stayed on her a lot, and I don't know who she was supposed to be. Her name tag said "Beth", but still doesn't ring any bells. Scarlett Johannsen was nice, but Gwyneth Paltrow wins this round in my book.

Also
Thanos.
Clever Whedonesque (I used it twice GasBandit ) "court death" joke.

fade

fade

Oh and another thing. This movie had people in it. That's a good thing that directors like Reitman and Donner understood, but a lot of superhero movie directors don't seem to.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I just got back from seeing it.

I'd write out how I feel, but I'm busy trying to pry the smile from my face.

Norris

Norris

Who was the waitress? A Whedon? The camera stayed on her a lot, and I don't know who she was supposed to be. Her name tag said "Beth", but still doesn't ring any bells.
According to Wikipedia, that was Ashley Johnson, whose notable roles include Chrissy Seaver on Growing Pains and voice work as Gretchen Grundler on Disney's Recess, Peter on Jumanji, Terra on Teen Titans, and teenage Gwen Tennyson on Ben 10: Alien Force and its sequels. She also had guest appearances including episodes of The Middleman, Lie to Me, Monk, Roseanne........and Dollhouse's original pilot and the first season finale. She will also be appearing in Whedon's take on Much Ado About Nothing. So yeah, she seems to have joined the Whedon team. Speaking of which, Enver Gjokaj as a random cop and Alexis Denisof as The Other were fun to see (or hear, as the case may be).

She's credited as just "Waitress", so I think the character was just a straightforward "everywoman" to demonstrate the good the heroes did. That she was played by one of Whedon's cohorts was just gravy.

Enresshou

Enresshou

Saw the movie today with the fiance. She was the one that introduced me to Firefly, and has an even bigger love-on for Joss Whedon than I do, so we both had an absolute BLAST at this movie. Favorite superhero movie, hands-down.

Question, though, regarding the ending:

I was under the impression that that was the Red Skull at the end, not Thanos. Maybe it was the lack of sleep last night, but what definitively gave it away as Thanos??

LittleSin

LittleSin

This was my first IMAX movie.

I just...oh my god...this was wonderful. Everything was great. It blew my fucking mind.

Also, Hawkeye was a total babe. I mean DAMN.

THANOS!!!!

Norris

Norris

I was under the impression that that was the Red Skull at the end, not Thanos. Maybe it was the lack of sleep last night, but what definitively gave it away as Thanos??
Well, the fact that he was purple helped.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Saw the movie today with the fiance. She was the one that introduced me to Firefly, and has an even bigger love-on for Joss Whedon than I do, so we both had an absolute BLAST at this movie. Favorite superhero movie, hands-down.

Question, though, regarding the ending:

The person talking to Thanos said that taking on Earth was like "courting Death itself". Thanos is in love with the actual being of Death and wants her affection. His smile at the end there is because anything that can be comparable to dating Death will grab his attention.

Norris

Norris

Also, and I know this is kind of a strange idea, but
Would anyone else be really keen on seeing a "What if...The Chitauri won?" comic put out? Something like Nick Fury having to create and possibly personally lead a team consisting of War Machine, The Abomination, one of Odin's warriors (Heimdall, Sif, Hogun, Fandral, or Volstagg), and maybe a couple of others (the existence of Ross' super soldier formula would allow for the easy creation of U.S. Agent, JARVIS - assuming he's in more than one place at once - might be able to animate one of Tony's old suits) in a bid to get the tesseract back. Preferably written by Zack Whedon.

Adam

Adam

Also, and I know this is kind of a strange idea, but
Would anyone else be really keen on seeing a "What if...The Chitauri won?" comic put out? Something like Nick Fury having to create and possibly personally lead a team consisting of War Machine, The Abomination, one of Odin's warriors (Heimdall, Sif, Hogun, Fandral, or Volstagg), and maybe a couple of others (the existence of Ross' super soldier formula would allow for the easy creation of U.S. Agent, JARVIS - assuming he's in more than one place at once - might be able to animate one of Tony's old suits) in a bid to get the tesseract back. Preferably written by Zak Whedon.
What is this, I don't even.