Assistant Attorney General war-blogs against gay student

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assistant attorney general blogs against gay student body president - CNN.com

(CNN) -- For nearly six months, Andrew Shirvell, an assistant attorney general for the state of Michigan, has waged an internet campaign against college student Chris Armstrong, the openly gay student assembly president at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Using the online moniker "Concerned Michigan Alumnus," Shirvell launched his blog in late April.

"Welcome to 'Chris Armstrong Watch,'" Shirvell wrote in his inaugural blog post. "This is a site for concerned University of Michigan alumni, students, and others who oppose the recent election of Chris Armstrong -- a RADICAL HOMOSEXUAL ACTIVIST, RACIST, ELITIST, & LIAR -- as the new head of student government."

Among other things, Shirvell has published blog posts that accuse Armstrong of going back on a campaign promise he made to minority students; engaging in "flagrant sexual promiscuity" with another male member of the student government; sexually seducing and influencing "a previously conservative [male] student" so much so that the student, according to Shirvell, "morphed into a proponent of the radical homosexual agenda"; hosting a gay orgy in his dorm room in October 2009; and trying to recruit incoming first-year students "to join the homosexual 'lifestyle.'"

Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox has declined to comment directly about Shirvell's comments, saying he is pursuing legal action against the civil servant, who works on the blog during his off-hours.

"Mr. Shirvell's personal opinions are his and his alone and do not reflect the views of the Michigan Department of Attorney General," Cox said in the written statement provided by his office to CNN's "AC 360" Tuesday night. "But his immaturity and lack of judgment outside the office are clear."

Cox has not said what kind of legal action he is pursuing against Shirvell or how it might affect Shirvell's employment.

On "AC 360," Shirvell made no apologies for his blog postings, which include a picture of Armstrong with "Resign" written over his face. The same picture also had a swastika superimposed over a gay pride flag, with an arrow pointing toward Armstrong.

Shirvell acknowledged protesting outside of Armstrong's house and calling him "Satan's representative on the student assembly."

"I'm a Christian citizen exercising my First Amendment rights," Shirvell told CNN's Anderson Cooper. "I have no problem with the fact that Chris is a homosexual. I have a problem with the fact that he's advancing a radical homosexual agenda."

Armstrong has supported gender-neutral housing at the university for transgender students who haven't had sexual reassignment surgery.

Armstrong has hired an attorney, according to CNN Senior Legal Analyst Jeffrey Toobin, who says Armstrong may have grounds for a harassment case.
To quote my facebook status: I am weirded out as fuck. Is this really happening? How is this really happening? I'm not normally one to busy myself in political issues or issues of rights, but this is just so absurd, I feel like I'm in a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio and Ellen Page and my room will start turning upside down any second now.

I mean, seriously. How? Why? I just don't even know anymore.

Welcome to the world of divisive politics. The anti-gay agenda is in full swing in the right wing media, that nutjobs like him is taking the fight on his own. I don't know the promiscuity level of this kid, and I don't want to know. Also he should not be exposed in this manner, he is a private citizen.

Dave

Staff member
Not sure what charges can be brought about against him and as much as I hate the message...if this guy was doing this on his time off it should not be an issue either. As long as he didn't slander the kid I don't see what he did wrong. Immoral, maybe. Stupid, definitely. But the things he did were not done as a representative of the Attorney General's office. So although I think his message is ignorant and just plain wrong, he has the right to say it.

I think painting a private citizen as a predatory homosexual, that throws gay orgies in the dorms... could be sued for harassment. They also need to check all the time stamps from his blog, and see if he was posting from his office.

Dave

Staff member
I agree to a point. If he was posting from the office - which they've already said he wasn't - then he needs to be slapped down. But as to the rest of the content, if the things said was wrong then it can be slander. But if the guy was trolling incoming freshmen for sex (like every college does with incoming freshmen, male or female), had an orgy (3? 4? More?) in his dorm and showed public signs of homosexual affection with another guy then it was not slander (or libel) and can't really be prosecuted.

Mark my words, though, this guy will be caught someday having had sex with a man. Anyone I've ever seen that is that homophobic has been that way because of self loathing and an overcompensation of their own homosexual desires.

Dave

Staff member
Isn't this guy fighting just a skoosh below his weight-class?
Yes. Personally I don't know why he'd care what happens at a college after he's graduated, but some people do weird things. My sister still watches high school football even though she has no kids in high school any more. To me that's just weird.

D

Disconnected

Mark my words, though, this guy will be caught someday having had sex with a man. Anyone I've ever seen that is that homophobic has been that way because of self loathing and an overcompensation of their own homosexual desires.
Marked. and agreed.
either that or they'll find him face down in a pile of blow surrounded by hookers.

Necronic

Staff member
There may be a case for libel/slander. But you have to ask these questions

1) Are the factual claims true? If so then there's pretty much no case. If they are false then go on to question 2

2) Is the plaintiff a "public figure"? Defining a public figure is, at best, really hard. However, if he's not then you have a good case. If he is then it could be protected as free speech, therefore go to question 3.

3) Were the statements made with "actual-malice"? This doesn't mean the dude is a big doodie head. What it means is that the defendants are aware that the statement is false or very likely false. Reckless disregard is present if the plaintiff can show that the defendant had "serious doubts as to the truth of [the] publication"

So, as you can see.....he may or may not have a case. Thank god for lawyers.

signs point to yes.

Why not both? They could be male hookers.
ha! male hookers, that's crazy talk... wait... that there is liberal homo-agenda thinking! get him!![/QUOTE]
Yeah, not like anyone in the "Down with homosexuality" agenda recently was seen at an airport with a rent boy (read- male prostitute).

Oh, and...

When he least expects it, this guy will have SEX WITH HIM!

C

Chibibar

Status
Not open for further replies.