[Food] Are forum statistics contentious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rogue galleries often result in some contention and occasionally a few hurt feelings, not unlike cliques in high school. So I've stopped making them.

But I can't stop thinking about measuring stuff about the forum and the people in it mainly because I'm keen to find a measurement in which I come out on top. I just calculated the users who receive the most likes per post. The most-liked user actually surprised me a bit, receiving a like for every four posts, on average.

Of course, there are errors in the analysis - some users had a lot of posts prior to the like system, so they are pushed down in the rankings since their earlier posts were made when people couldn't like them. So this measurement favors people that are new to the forum. Further, I only looked at the top 100 posters, so while there are likely even more "liked" users below 730 postcount, I didn't include them (because I'm dead inside and/or lazy - pick one, the other, or both).

I'm inclined to post the list just for the fun of it, but is it going to result in the same contention and hurt feelings the rogues gallery causes?

If so, is, "I like to watch the world burn" a valid excuse?

Wait, did the Rogue's Galleries cause hurt feelings? Why? They were just lists of top posters, hardly anything to get worked up over.

Well shit, now I have to go look and see...

Well, now I know who has the best like/post ratio among the top 100 posters. But, I went a little further, and found who has the highest ratio (among users with at least double digit posts). I'll leave the top 100 to stienman, should he so choose, but I'll post what I've found:

The statistical outlier is Tiger Tsang, with roughly 3 likes per 4 posts.

TheFellow and PotaDOS follow at just under 1:2

There are a couple people around 1:3 (LittleKagSin, XSammiKaneX), and a couple more around 1:4 (Biannoshufu, TheBrew, Bananahands, evilmike)

Also a bunch of people between 1:5 and 1:10, but I'm losing track here, so whatevs.

Oh, just went a little further, looks like there are a bunch of alts with a ratio over 1; I'll only mention DaveTest, with a staggering 10:1 ratio.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Wait, somebody gets insulted when they don't make a list who posts the most on an internet forum? :confused: Granted, I sometimes like to see how much more I'd have to post to climb higher in the proverbial totem pole, but I've never felt in any way insufficient about posting less than say, Cajun or Dave.

I guess some people see the rogues gallery as a popularity contest or an indication of whose opinions should carry more weight. Like Stein said, it's like forming an elite clique. I remember missing out on the early galleries, due to being a new poster, and when I got in the later ones I was all like, "Whee! I'm part of the in crowd now!" It was a way of feeling like I've really established myself in this community, you know?

Dunno if I'd make it into the current rogues gallery. It'd be nice to, I suppose, since it would reaffirm I'm still an active member of the group. But then again, I don't need an external source to tell me I'm part of this community, I know that already.

M

makare

Lol so people were upset and PMed steinman about it? I think the last time there was one of those things I was away from the forum for a few months so I wasnt here for any drama.

I always liked the rogues galleries*, I always found it interesting to see who posted more, and a "likes" rank will probably be interesting too.

*and when I started appearing on them, I liked them even better.

B

Biannoshufu

Such little "badges" are nice, but honestly, everyone who posts here offers their own worth for judgement which is quite separate from a list.

M

makare

I don't really care necessarily the number of likes I get but I am amused that I have an even number 200 now. I'm a little monkish.

GasBandit

Staff member
Sorry but what exactly is Rogue Galleries?
That thing this board does when you click "members?" How it gives everybody's avatar in order of post count?

That used to be done by hand, with about 25-36 avatars on one 8x10 jpg. Kinda like a yearbook page.

M

makare

I used to be one of the highest posting members but that was back before I decided to avoid the politics forum most of the time. Lol. now those are post padding threads.

We should graph them to find the decline, then see which thread offended so many politics regulars that they all decided to cut back on their addiction posting there. Even if it wasn't any single thread, it'd be fun to find a scape-goat thread to blame.

GasBandit

Staff member
We should graph them to find the decline, then see which thread offended so many politics regulars that they all decided to cut back on their addiction posting there. Even if it wasn't any single thread, it'd be fun to find a scape-goat thread to blame.
No, it's the opposite. People post less because it's less confrontational. Also, I pretty much never update "Gas Bandit's Political Thread" any more, because really, after a while I kept finding the same stories over and over again. Oh, someone's protesting AGAIN? Oh, there's corruption in the cabinet, AGAIN? Oh, there's debt problems in europe, still. Yadda yadda yadda.

M

makare

You know why I stopped posting in there? I started to actually give a shit about how the threads turned out. I actually cared what people ended up thinking. That is not good on the internet because usually people are hell bent on 1. not thinking and 2. not changing their opinions. It wasn't worth any kind of frustration. It stopped being fun. It wasn't a lack of contention or confrontation. Even with a helmet on banging your head against a wall is only fun for so long.... unless you are drunk.

So next time I've been drinking maybe I'll go through all the political threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.