[Movies] Ant-Man

It's about time. I swear, Marvel has been sizing up this movie forever. Let's hope it stands tall and doesn't come up short at the box office.

Dave

Staff member
I've never understood the draw of Ant-Man. Nothing sews fear into the hearts of bad guys like...a small man-like insect.

I've never understood the draw of Ant-Man. Nothing sews fear into the hearts of bad guys like...a small man-like insect.
Its why they changed him to "Giant Man" later on(the guy has waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many super aliases). Talking to ants...not the most useful power.

I just think of a superhero version of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and think it'd be pretty awesome. Plus, yeah, 'ol Doctor Pym can change size both ways.

Also: Edgar Wright. Have faith. :D

The way Edgar Wright is treating him (And as I understand, how he was originally treated to begin with), is as a super spy more than as a super hero. Shrinking obviously comes in handy for that.

I read fairly recently about a test reel Edgar Wright had shot to convey how he wanted to handle the character, and it sounded freaking awesome. He shrunk and grew mid fight to make physics his bitch.

Antman, shrunk down, sneaking through a vent, running down a hall way, growing full size to draw the guards at the end of the hall into to drawing their weapons, jumping and shrinking back down to run along the barrel of the gun, then jumping and growing to full size to drop kick the guard in the teeth, is something I can't wait to see.

It's Edgar Wright, so I have 100% faith in it.[DOUBLEPOST=1350353941][/DOUBLEPOST]
Talking to ants...not the most useful power.
It is if you're a wife beating asshole and your wife happens to shrink to the size of an ant to hide from you.

... Pretty sure they aren't going that route though. I hope. At least not unless they're inserting him into the Avengers franchise and it plays out there so Cap can kick his ass.

The way Edgar Wright is treating him (And as I understand, how he was originally treated to begin with), is as a super spy more than as a super hero. Shrinking obviously comes in handy for that.

I read fairly recently about a test reel dgar Wright had shot to convey how he wanted to handle the character, and it sounded freaking awesome. He shrunk and grew mid fight to make physics his bitch.

Antman, shrunk down, sneaking through a vent, running down a hall way, growing to full size to draw the guards at the end of the hall into to draw their weapons, jumping and shrinking back down to run along the barrel of the gun, then jumping and growing to full size to drop kick the guard in the teeth, is something I can't wait to see.

I so badly want to see the ACTUAL test reel though. I'm sure a very similar, finished scene will make it into the movie. I suppose I can settle for that... Just have to wait 3 years.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah I remember the Ultimates version of Ant-Man. That was right before she left him for Captain America and the Cap beat the shit out of him.

And before Ultimate Blob ATE HER. The Ultimate Universe is sometimes the best Marvel has to offer but other times it's by far the worst.

And before Ultimate Blob ATE HER. The Ultimate Universe is sometimes the best Marvel has to offer but other times it's by far the worst.
Jeph Loeb managed to singlehandedly ruin the entire Ultimates line. That was talent. I couldn't give a fat shit after Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum.

Jeph Loeb managed to singlehandedly ruin the entire Ultimates line. That was talent. I couldn't give a fat shit after Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum.
I couldn't even get to Ultimates 3. Ultimates 2 was bad enough. That one volume should have been like 4 seperate stories, to take the time to introduce all those villains. Instead, it played out the way I'd expect a 6 year old playing with his action figures to do the story (Seriously, introducing all the villains in a couple of pages, and each one being an exact match to a member of the Avengers, and then Tony Stark's Iron Man mark V is a freaking space station? Ungh). And they ruined in one book the mystique that made Thor more interesting in the Ultimate universe than in any other iteration.

Ultimates 1 was great. Loved it. But it, and all of Ultimate Spider-Man, were the only Ultimate books I read that were any good.
Ultimate Fantastic Four had them time travelling in like the second volume, while still trying to think of a way to remove their powers. Really? Smartest man on the planet can't think of a way to use a time machine to stop the accident that gave them their powers?
Ultimate X-Men.... too many problems to list, but it boils down to terrible dialogue and lazy writing.

One thing I've never seen the point of is the Ultimate universe. "What if Spider-man -was a teenager!" "He...was one he just grew up." "Well what if he was a teenager again but this time he's dating Shadow Cat?" "I don't think anyone ever wondered tha-" "SHUT UP IT'S MY UNIVERSE!"

Not saying there aren't good Ultimate stories, I just never saw the point to making it in the first place.

I couldn't even get to Ultimates 3. Ultimates 2 was bad enough. That one volume should have been like 4 seperate stories, to take the time to introduce all those villains. Instead, it played out the way I'd expect a 6 year old playing with his action figures to do the story (Seriously, introducing all the villains in a couple of pages, and each one being an exact match to a member of the Avengers, and then Tony Stark's Iron Man mark V is a freaking space station? Ungh). And they ruined in one book the mystique that made Thor more interesting in the Ultimate universe than in any other iteration.

Ultimates 1 was great. Loved it. But it, and all of Ultimate Spider-Man, were the only Ultimate books I read that were any good.
Ultimate Fantastic Four had them time travelling in like the second volume, while still trying to think of a way to remove their powers. Really? Smartest man on the planet can't think of a way to use a time machine to stop the accident that gave them their powers?
Ultimate X-Men.... too many problems to list, but it boils down to terrible dialogue and lazy writing.
Ultimates 3 is far worse compared to Ultimates 2 than Ultimates 2 was compared to Ultimates 1.

One thing I've never seen the point of is the Ultimate universe. "What if Spider-man -was a teenager!" "He...was one he just grew up." "Well what if he was a teenager again but this time he's dating Shadow Cat?" "I don't think anyone ever wondered tha-" "SHUT UP IT'S MY UNIVERSE!"

Not saying there aren't good Ultimate stories, I just never saw the point to making it in the first place.
The point of theUltimate Universe was to use it for stories they were worried would screw up the continuity of the main one. Then One More Day happened and it seemed kinda pointless.

Things got back on track with the latest relaunch. Though Ultimate Comics Spider-Man is the only book of the three that consistently wows me.

As to the original post, I will believe it when my ass is in the theater about to watch the movie. This movie has been "coming in a couple of years" since my senior year of high school. That's going on five years ago. And, G.I. Joe Retaliation proved, trailers and expensive ad campaigns don't prove something will arrive in theaters.

G.I. Joe Retaliation was still coming last time I checked. It got pushed back to put fucking 3D in it.
Again, I will believe it when I see it. Pushing a film back by nine months a month before the release date doesn't inspire confidence that it will ever actually hit the theater.

On Ant-Man: I positively hate how "he beat up Wasp" has become such a defining aspect of his character, since the whole reputation arises from one slap in the middle of a nervous breakdown. It wasn't OK, but it also was deliberately out of character for him. He and Wasp have reconciled and broken up over that one slap every couple of years since, and in the Ultimate Universe he damned near killed her. It really bugs me. They never bring up the equally not OK fact that The Wasp marched him down the aisle when he was in the middle of a chemically induced dissociative event, believing himself to be a hero named "Yellowjacket" who had disposed of Hank Pym.

Also: Green Arrow wasn't a man whore until modern writers decided he was. So far as I know, the only time he ever "cheated" on Black Canary was when Shado raped him while he was wounded and only semi-conscious. He also turned out to have an adult son, but Connor was born long before Oliver met Dinah. Yet somehow, some writers started portraying Ollie as a hound who did Dinah wrong once he returned from the dead. Just like the Pym thing, it's annoying.

Can Ant-man expand specific parts of his body? Like could he make his head big but his body would stay the same shape? Or does it always affect his entire body?

Not that I've ever read, no. It's all or nothing.

And while we're on the subject of famous - or infamous - Hank Pym moments, here's a little diddy from Geoff Johns. Yes, Geoff Johns of Green Lantern, Justice League, Aquaman, etc.

Yeah, I luckily caught it before it was taken down. I'd be totally down for that. Especially with Edgar Wright helming the project.