Export thread

Ant-Man

evilmike

evilmike

Nov. 25, 2015

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

It's about time. I swear, Marvel has been sizing up this movie forever. Let's hope it stands tall and doesn't come up short at the box office.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Insert inappropriate wife beating joke here!

Dave

Dave

I've never understood the draw of Ant-Man. Nothing sews fear into the hearts of bad guys like...a small man-like insect.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I've never understood the draw of Ant-Man. Nothing sews fear into the hearts of bad guys like...a small man-like insect.
Its why they changed him to "Giant Man" later on(the guy has waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many super aliases). Talking to ants...not the most useful power.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I just think of a superhero version of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and think it'd be pretty awesome. Plus, yeah, 'ol Doctor Pym can change size both ways.

Also: Edgar Wright. Have faith. :D

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The way Edgar Wright is treating him (And as I understand, how he was originally treated to begin with), is as a super spy more than as a super hero. Shrinking obviously comes in handy for that.

I read fairly recently about a test reel Edgar Wright had shot to convey how he wanted to handle the character, and it sounded freaking awesome. He shrunk and grew mid fight to make physics his bitch.

Antman, shrunk down, sneaking through a vent, running down a hall way, growing full size to draw the guards at the end of the hall into to drawing their weapons, jumping and shrinking back down to run along the barrel of the gun, then jumping and growing to full size to drop kick the guard in the teeth, is something I can't wait to see.

It's Edgar Wright, so I have 100% faith in it.[DOUBLEPOST=1350353941][/DOUBLEPOST]
Talking to ants...not the most useful power.
It is if you're a wife beating asshole and your wife happens to shrink to the size of an ant to hide from you.

... Pretty sure they aren't going that route though. I hope. At least not unless they're inserting him into the Avengers franchise and it plays out there so Cap can kick his ass.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Super mini-spy? I could get behind that!

evilmike

evilmike

The way Edgar Wright is treating him (And as I understand, how he was originally treated to begin with), is as a super spy more than as a super hero. Shrinking obviously comes in handy for that.

I read fairly recently about a test reel dgar Wright had shot to convey how he wanted to handle the character, and it sounded freaking awesome. He shrunk and grew mid fight to make physics his bitch.

Antman, shrunk down, sneaking through a vent, running down a hall way, growing to full size to draw the guards at the end of the hall into to draw their weapons, jumping and shrinking back down to run along the barrel of the gun, then jumping and growing to full size to drop kick the guard in the teeth, is something I can't wait to see.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I so badly want to see the ACTUAL test reel though. I'm sure a very similar, finished scene will make it into the movie. I suppose I can settle for that... Just have to wait 3 years.

Dave

Dave

Yeah I remember the Ultimates version of Ant-Man. That was right before she left him for Captain America and the Cap beat the shit out of him.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

And before Ultimate Blob ATE HER. The Ultimate Universe is sometimes the best Marvel has to offer but other times it's by far the worst.

Frank

Frank

And before Ultimate Blob ATE HER. The Ultimate Universe is sometimes the best Marvel has to offer but other times it's by far the worst.
Jeph Loeb managed to singlehandedly ruin the entire Ultimates line. That was talent. I couldn't give a fat shit after Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum.

Covar

Covar

Yeah I remember the Ultimates version of Ant-Man. That was right before she left him for Captain America and the Cap beat the shit out of him.
and right after she hit him with a lamp.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Jeph Loeb managed to singlehandedly ruin the entire Ultimates line. That was talent. I couldn't give a fat shit after Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum.
I couldn't even get to Ultimates 3. Ultimates 2 was bad enough. That one volume should have been like 4 seperate stories, to take the time to introduce all those villains. Instead, it played out the way I'd expect a 6 year old playing with his action figures to do the story (Seriously, introducing all the villains in a couple of pages, and each one being an exact match to a member of the Avengers, and then Tony Stark's Iron Man mark V is a freaking space station? Ungh). And they ruined in one book the mystique that made Thor more interesting in the Ultimate universe than in any other iteration.

Ultimates 1 was great. Loved it. But it, and all of Ultimate Spider-Man, were the only Ultimate books I read that were any good.
Ultimate Fantastic Four had them time travelling in like the second volume, while still trying to think of a way to remove their powers. Really? Smartest man on the planet can't think of a way to use a time machine to stop the accident that gave them their powers?
Ultimate X-Men.... too many problems to list, but it boils down to terrible dialogue and lazy writing.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

One thing I've never seen the point of is the Ultimate universe. "What if Spider-man -was a teenager!" "He...was one he just grew up." "Well what if he was a teenager again but this time he's dating Shadow Cat?" "I don't think anyone ever wondered tha-" "SHUT UP IT'S MY UNIVERSE!"

Not saying there aren't good Ultimate stories, I just never saw the point to making it in the first place.

Frank

Frank

I couldn't even get to Ultimates 3. Ultimates 2 was bad enough. That one volume should have been like 4 seperate stories, to take the time to introduce all those villains. Instead, it played out the way I'd expect a 6 year old playing with his action figures to do the story (Seriously, introducing all the villains in a couple of pages, and each one being an exact match to a member of the Avengers, and then Tony Stark's Iron Man mark V is a freaking space station? Ungh). And they ruined in one book the mystique that made Thor more interesting in the Ultimate universe than in any other iteration.

Ultimates 1 was great. Loved it. But it, and all of Ultimate Spider-Man, were the only Ultimate books I read that were any good.
Ultimate Fantastic Four had them time travelling in like the second volume, while still trying to think of a way to remove their powers. Really? Smartest man on the planet can't think of a way to use a time machine to stop the accident that gave them their powers?
Ultimate X-Men.... too many problems to list, but it boils down to terrible dialogue and lazy writing.
Ultimates 3 is far worse compared to Ultimates 2 than Ultimates 2 was compared to Ultimates 1.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

One thing I've never seen the point of is the Ultimate universe. "What if Spider-man -was a teenager!" "He...was one he just grew up." "Well what if he was a teenager again but this time he's dating Shadow Cat?" "I don't think anyone ever wondered tha-" "SHUT UP IT'S MY UNIVERSE!"

Not saying there aren't good Ultimate stories, I just never saw the point to making it in the first place.
The point of theUltimate Universe was to use it for stories they were worried would screw up the continuity of the main one. Then One More Day happened and it seemed kinda pointless.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

The point of theUltimate Universe was to use it for stories they were worried would screw up the continuity of the main one. Then One More Day happened and it seemed kinda pointless.
Wow...really? Kinda screwed the pooch on that one.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Ultimates 3 is far worse compared to Ultimates 2 than Ultimates 2 was compared to Ultimates 1.
That's what everyone tells me. I don't know how anyone even stuck it out for Ultimates 3 though.

Norris

Norris

Things got back on track with the latest relaunch. Though Ultimate Comics Spider-Man is the only book of the three that consistently wows me.

As to the original post, I will believe it when my ass is in the theater about to watch the movie. This movie has been "coming in a couple of years" since my senior year of high school. That's going on five years ago. And, G.I. Joe Retaliation proved, trailers and expensive ad campaigns don't prove something will arrive in theaters.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

G.I. Joe Retaliation was still coming last time I checked. It got pushed back to put fucking 3D in it.

Frank

Frank

And, if rumours are to be believed, to have scenes reshot so there's more Channing Tatum.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I still can't believe they canceled the awesome GI Joe cartoon they were doing on the HUB to get this turd out.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I still can't believe they canceled the awesome GI Joe cartoon they were doing on the HUB to get this turd out.
I know right! That show had so much freaking potential to be even more kick-ass than it all-ready was.

Norris

Norris

G.I. Joe Retaliation was still coming last time I checked. It got pushed back to put fucking 3D in it.
Again, I will believe it when I see it. Pushing a film back by nine months a month before the release date doesn't inspire confidence that it will ever actually hit the theater.

On Ant-Man: I positively hate how "he beat up Wasp" has become such a defining aspect of his character, since the whole reputation arises from one slap in the middle of a nervous breakdown. It wasn't OK, but it also was deliberately out of character for him. He and Wasp have reconciled and broken up over that one slap every couple of years since, and in the Ultimate Universe he damned near killed her. It really bugs me. They never bring up the equally not OK fact that The Wasp marched him down the aisle when he was in the middle of a chemically induced dissociative event, believing himself to be a hero named "Yellowjacket" who had disposed of Hank Pym.

Also: Green Arrow wasn't a man whore until modern writers decided he was. So far as I know, the only time he ever "cheated" on Black Canary was when Shado raped him while he was wounded and only semi-conscious. He also turned out to have an adult son, but Connor was born long before Oliver met Dinah. Yet somehow, some writers started portraying Ollie as a hound who did Dinah wrong once he returned from the dead. Just like the Pym thing, it's annoying.

twitchmoss

twitchmoss

marvel adventures ant-man on the other hand, is awesome.

He's got ... hiiiigh hopes!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Can Ant-man expand specific parts of his body? Like could he make his head big but his body would stay the same shape? Or does it always affect his entire body?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Not that I've ever read, no. It's all or nothing.

And while we're on the subject of famous - or infamous - Hank Pym moments, here's a little diddy from Geoff Johns. Yes, Geoff Johns of Green Lantern, Justice League, Aquaman, etc.

evilmike

evilmike

Frank

Frank

That's some test footage isn't it?

I'd watch that movie.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I was lucky enough to catch the footage before it was taken down. If that's what we're in for, it can't get here soon enough.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, I luckily caught it before it was taken down. I'd be totally down for that. Especially with Edgar Wright helming the project.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I still haven't seen it.

Why must they keep this magic footage secret?

Bowielee

Bowielee

I still haven't seen it.

Why must they keep this magic footage secret?
It's like the Ring video. 7 days from now, all of us who saw it will have Jean Lorring give us an aneurism. (I know I'm mixing marvel and dc stuff)

evilmike

evilmike

Take 2

bhamv3

bhamv3

Not a fan of the mask and the Darth Vader breathing, but the concept seems sound enough. I'd probably watch this.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Not a fan of the mask and the Darth Vader breathing, but the concept seems sound enough. I'd probably watch this.
It is test footage, so it's likely the suit is not the final one. Even then, this is supposed to be his origin, so likely the scene in question involves him utilizing a prototype version of his suit at some point in the beginning, similar to how in the first Iron Man he went through three total suits.

I am pretty confident they won't utilize the wife beating angle. Tony Stark always had that stigma as a raging alcoholic, yet the only time they showed him drunk during his movies was in the second movie, while going through a personal crisis, making it understandable to have a small breakdown. Wife beating would just be to much for movie audiences to handle in a hero.

BananaHands

BananaHands

From Simon Pegg's Twitter

What I wouldn't give for Simon Pegg to be Scott Lang...

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Simon Pegg loves to mess with people via his twitter. it is impossible to know what, if any, meaning is behind those two tweets.

Edit: Why did no one tell me I had copied and pasted the wrong url? Damn phone. Good album though, that. Fixed now.

Tress

Tress

What I wouldn't give for Simon Pegg to be Scott Lang...
I second that. It would be fantastic.

Espy

Espy

I dunno, if Pegg isn't I'll be very surprised. Those tweets look very calculated.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

07:45-08:05
Interviewer: "One of the great things of this film is, the idea that... failing something early in life and kind of going back and trying to redo it. What is something that you guys have failed at that, y'know, maybe early in life that you wish you could go back, and get a second chance to try one more time again?"
[...]
Simon: "I wouldn't point at that picture of Ant-Man at Marvel. Cause that caused a big storm."

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Official release date changed from November to July 31st, 2015.

Your wait for director Marvel Studios' highly-anticipated "Ant-Man" feature film, directed by Edgar Wright, just got a few months shorter!
Arriving in theaters July 31, Marvel's "Ant-Man" joins Marvel's "Avengers: Age of Ultron"--out May 1, 2015--for a one-two knockout punch in the summer of 2015! Stay tuned to Marvel.com for much more about "Ant-Man"!
This means it comes out just 3 months after Avengers 2, and while Batman vs Superman is still in theatres.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, Marvel is out for blood.

Bubble181

Bubble181

They can be out for blood all they want - the biggest amount of money isn't coming from comic fans but from regular audiences, and I' about 157% sure that "Ant-Man" isn't going to make a dent compared to Avengers 2 or B&S.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ant-Man probably isn't going to be released as a Batman vs Superman killer, rather it's the followup in the 2015 one-two punch from Marvel. Avengers 2 in May to kick off the summer blockbuster season, Ant-Man at the end of July to give ticket sales a boost, while Avengers 2 is still fresh in everyone's mind. Batman vs Superman is also released in July if I'm not mistaken.

My guess is that Marvel are probably going to introduce plot lines in Avengers 2 that will be resolved in Ant-Man. So now theatergoers will go "Well, I'm in the mood for one more superhero movie this summer, so I can either watch Batman and Superman, or I can find out how so-and-so ends by watching Ant-Man."

Espy

Espy

Ant-Man probably isn't going to be released as a Batman vs Superman killer, rather it's the followup in the 2015 one-two punch from Marvel. Avengers 2 in May to kick off the summer blockbuster season, Ant-Man at the end of July to give ticket sales a boost, while Avengers 2 is still fresh in everyone's mind. Batman vs Superman is also released in July if I'm not mistaken.

My guess is that Marvel are probably going to introduce plot lines in Avengers 2 that will be resolved in Ant-Man. So now theatergoers will go "Well, I'm in the mood for one more superhero movie this summer, so I can either watch Batman and Superman, or I can find out how so-and-so ends by watching Ant-Man."
Yeah, good luck. I don't want to be the guys who have to have "Ant-Man" compete with "BATMAN & SUPERMAN BANG SOME BITCHES & HAVE THE MOST AMAZING FIGHTS WITH SOME BAD GUYS YOU'VE EVER SEEN".

Although honestly they aren't really going head to head with B&S. Opening several weeks after means they will probably catch some of the coattails of the big superhero movies of the summer. It probably wasn't going to be the biggest Marvel film of all time but having it closer to Avengers 2 is a wise move, especially if they do tie it in like you said bhamv.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Honestly, the average movie goer barely even know that Batman and Captain America are owned by two different comic companies. :p

I've had to explain multiple times why Spider-man and X-Men can't be involved in the other Marvel Movie franchises, so people nowadays tend to see super-hero movies as super-hero movies.

My main point is, I don't think people will care that Ant Man isn't as popular as other characters in the Marvel universe, just that to them it will be a new comic book movie.

Espy

Espy

just that to them it will be a new comic book movie.
And honestly after a busy comic book movie summer may not help it any.

evilmike

evilmike

From Edgar Wright's Twitter stream (via io9)

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

Sigh, this still makes me sad that Ant Man won't be in the next Avengers movie.

Can we at least have Wasp? Sure would make the Avengers less of a super sausage party.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Sigh, this still makes me sad that Ant Man won't be in the next Avengers movie.

Can we at least have Wasp? Sure would make the Avengers less of a super sausage party.
YES, I would like to see a super-heroin (not a T&A tease) on the team. Black Widow is quite lame.

Tress

Tress

If I can't have Wasp, can I please have:

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Rosie the Riveter?

@Li3n

@Li3n

YES, I would like to see a super-heroin (not a T&A tease) on the team. Black Widow is quite lame.
Sorry, but we only have cocaine based supers so far: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Snowflame_(New_Earth)[DOUBLEPOST=1380811481,1380811364][/DOUBLEPOST]
When did Ms. Marvel become a lesbian?

Frank

Frank

That's her Captain Marvel outfit and also, why the lesbian comment?

@Li3n

@Li3n

First thing that popped in my mind... lets pretend the haircut makes her look like the previous female Captain Marvel, and i'm not a horrible bigot.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Sorry, but we only have cocaine based supers so far: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Snowflame_(New_Earth)[DOUBLEPOST=1380811481,1380811364][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well, then we need a super-heroin then! I demand it.

Covar

Covar

Irony is that the tomboy fighter pilot gets a high maintenance New York high fashion hair cut, and that's what starts the lesbian comments.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Rosie the Riveter?
Posey the Proctologist

PatrThom

PatrThom

Posey the Proctologist
Ow, my pun receptors!

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'd actually prefer Ms. Marvel to Wasp. I never found Janet to be that interesting of a character.

Also, wasn't it already revealed that we're getting Wanda and Pietro in the next movie?

@Li3n

@Li3n

Irony is that the tomboy fighter pilot gets a high maintenance New York high fashion hair cut, and that's what starts the lesbian comments.
Hey, i'm an enlightened bigot, i don't hold what her job is against her... just how she styles her hair...

Covar

Covar

it's pretty awful. Tough for the artists too. Her hair is very inconsistent.

@Li3n

@Li3n

it's pretty awful.
Yes, i'm a bigot because i associate awful haircuts with being a lesbian... i thought everyone got that.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I'd actually prefer Ms. Marvel to Wasp. I never found Janet to be that interesting of a character.

Also, wasn't it already revealed that we're getting Wanda and Pietro in the next movie?
I'd rather have Ms. Marvel than the Scarlet Witch. Mutant magic/magic characters are less compelling to me. Though, I'll take the witch over Black Widow.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Yeah, but the Scarlet Witch keeps going crazy.

I always liked Black Widow and the other "normal" characters such as Hawkeye and Mockingbird. They practiced, trained, and disciplined themselves over and over until they got really good.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Edgar Wright does have two possible people in mind now to play Ant-Man: either Joseph Gordon-Levitt or Paul Rudd.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Yeah, but the Scarlet Witch keeps going crazy.
Well they keep fucking up her powers and making her too strong... and then they have to fix it and can't think of anything better. At least she doesn't keep dying and coming back, like some other i can think of (no matter how appropriate the codename).

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I'd rather have Ms. Marvel than the Scarlet Witch. Mutant magic/magic characters are less compelling to me. Though, I'll take the witch over Black Widow.
I am actually curious how they will handle her character. Will calling her a "mutant" cause a stink with Sony? Also, I wonder how they will approach her magic, considering they went to great lengths to alter the Thor cinematic universe to involve a whole lot of technology behind a lot of the things they use and just sort of hand waving the rest.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I am actually curious how they will handle her character. Will calling her a "mutant" cause a stink with Sony? Also, I wonder how they will approach her magic, considering they went to great lengths to alter the Thor cinematic universe to involve a whole lot of technology behind a lot of the things they use and just sort of hand waving the rest.
Maybe they'll do the smart thing and just go back to ther original power, and just use it better...

Powers going off wrong, people slipping at the most inconvenient time, random stuff happening that impedes the bad guys etc. Works for Longshot, just do it in reverse.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I hate the entire concept of "luck" powers. Even though I may like the characters individually (Longshot, Black Cat, Scarlet Witch, Domino) if they're any good it's usually in spite of their powers, not because of them.

Necronic

Necronic

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Edgar Wright does have two possible people in mind now to play Ant-Man: either Joseph Gordon-Levitt or Paul Rudd.
Paul Rudd could be incredible in that role, or awful. JGL is a safe bet, but probably won't excel.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I hate the entire concept of "luck" powers. Even though I may like the characters individually (Longshot, Black Cat, Scarlet Witch, Domino) if they're any good it's usually in spite of their powers, not because of them.
As opposed to deus ex machina "magic" powers that do (or dont do) whatever the plot requires?

Sure, luck powers are hard to write well, but PAD did pretty well with Longshot...

Frank

Frank

Paul Rudd could be incredible in that role, or awful. JGL is a safe bet, but probably won't excel.
If this Ant-Man is the dude who steals the technology from SHIELD and is a complete dick Ant-Man, I would love to see Paul Rudd in the role.

evilmike

evilmike

A number of sites have already posted this news, but I think From Bricks to Bothans has the best headline thus far:

Paul Rudd Lands Small Role In Ant Man

Gryfter

Gryfter

A number of sites have already posted this news, but I think From Bricks to Bothans has the best headline thus far:

Paul Rudd Lands Small Role In Ant Man
I have no problem with this.

Necronic

Necronic

I REALLY hope they play up the abusive/innadequacy angle, just a bit.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I REALLY hope they play up the abusive/innadequacy angle, just a bit.
My guess is that they're only going to have a passing reference to it. Sort of like if Ant-Man punches out a henchwoman, and someone comments, "So you don't have a problem with hitting women?" And he replies, "Not one bit."

Tress

Tress

I can't see them acknowledging it at all. People will flip out and complain that they are supposed to be family films, shouldn't have such dark themes, blah blah blah.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Confirmed by Marvel:
http://marvel.com/news/movies/2013/12/19/21669/paul_rudd_set_to_star_in_marvels_ant-man
No official word on whether he's playing Lang, or Pym though.

“When Edgar Wright came to us with the idea of Paul Rudd, we felt a huge sense of relief because the first step in creating any Marvel Studios film is finding the right star," said Marvel's Kevin Feige. "We knew early on that we had found the right person in Paul. When he not only agreed to do it but became as enthusiastic as any actor we’d ever met with about doing the work, we knew we’d found the right guy. We couldn’t be more excited for our audiences to see what he’s going to do to bring Ant-Man to life.”

Frank

Frank

If it's Edgar Wright it's got to be Lang. I hope it's Lang.

Please don't be Pym.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Rudd strikes me more of a smart thief than a mad scientist. Also won't Lang get all the sequels?

Covar

Covar

If they're smart they will just ignore the absolutely worst and most ham-fisted PSA story that only serve to ruin two perfectly good characters. Made worse by as shoes, including the Michael Bay of comics Mark Millar, who feel the need to solely define the characters by it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I believe the original pitch by Wright included both.

my thinking is Pym invents the suit, Lang later steals it. Eventually, Pym returns as Giant Man

This way whether Paul Rudd is playing Pym or Lang, we still get to see more of him acting alongside Robert Downey Junior and gang later on.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Well, Pym returns as Yellowjacket so we can eventually have both Ant-Man and Yellowjacket in the same movie.

Any word on Wasp?

Bowielee

Bowielee

If Edgar Wright is at the helm, I'm definitely looking forward to a less serious take on Ant-Man. He really is a ridiculous hero, and I'd love to see that played up. Especially if they have Paul Rudd in there playing Lang, who was decidedly less serious than Pym. They can just have Pym be another super-scientist, IMO.

evilmike

evilmike

Edgar Wright posted an image from the Avengers cartoon, calling it "homework":

The episode it's from is "To Steal an Ant-Man"...

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Sounds like we're getting both Hank Pym and Scott Lang. The question now becomes...who is Paul Rudd playing?

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

I don't think they would have enough time in a single movie to have both characters be mainstays. My guess is they are going to go the route of Hank Pym being involved as the inventor, and maybe test out the suit near the beginning, while Lang ultimately steals it close to half way through, leading to the more action filled sections shown in those test shots we saw awhile back. I always felt those shots when he is becoming small and punching guards in the face was much less Pym and way more Lang (Pym always tired himself out punching Wasp. Oh shiiii.... That was hard to say)

If that is the case, then Rudd is likely playing Lang, since he would continue on as Ant-Man from that point.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I don't think they would have enough time in a single movie to have both characters be mainstays. My guess is they are going to go the route of Hank Pym being involved as the inventor, and maybe test out the suit near the beginning, while Lang ultimately steals it close to half way through, leading to the more action filled sections shown in those test shots we saw awhile back. I always felt those shots when he is becoming small and punching guards in the face was much less Pym and way more Lang (Pym always tired himself out punching Wasp. Oh shiiii.... That was hard to say)

If that is the case, then Rudd is likely playing Lang, since he would continue on as Ant-Man from that point.
I could see that. There's also been early talk by Kevin Feige describing the film as a "heist" movie, so it could be like that.

Frank

Frank

Man, I kind of forget just how much I like Paul Rudd until I see him in another movie. Dude may be the single most likable actor ever.

This is the super hero flick I'm most excited for (this and GotG).

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Looks like Paul Rudd is going to be Scott Lang, because Michael Douglas is going to play Hank Pym.

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/01/michael-douglas-to-play-hank-pym-in-ant-man/

Fun Size

Fun Size

You comic book ner...aficionados are going to have to fill this is for those of us who got all of our information from Avengers Assemble. Isn't Hank Pym not that much older than Scott Lang? Also, judging from what I've seen online, Hank Pym's entire run as Ant Man was continually spent beating his wife while occasionally pausing to hang out with the Avengers. Does that sound about right, or is there a touch of hyperbole going on there?

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

You comic book ner...aficionados are going to have to fill this is for those of us who got all of our information from Avengers Assemble. Isn't Hank Pym not that much older than Scott Lang? Also, judging from what I've seen online, Hank Pym's entire run as Ant Man was continually spent beating his wife while occasionally pausing to hang out with the Avengers. Does that sound about right, or is there a touch of hyperbole going on there?
Totally hyperbole. People see Hank Pym in a couple of panels with the Avengers and get the idea it's a regular thing.

:p

More seriously, while Hank Pym isn't normally much older than Scott, Wright mentioned in an interview a couple of years ago that he saw himself using Hank as a superhero in the 60's, old school style, then jumping forward to Scott's story (taken from the link about Rudd's casting up the thread).

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Totally hyperbole. People see Hank Pym in a couple of panels with the Avengers and get the idea it's a regular thing.

:p

More seriously, while Hank Pym isn't normally much older than Scott, Wright mentioned in an interview a couple of years ago that he saw himself using Hank as a superhero in the 60's, old school style, then jumping forward to Scott's story (taken from the link about Rudd's casting up the thread).
That, and the wife beating was one time when Hank was going through a bad nervous breakdown.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

That, and the wife beating was one time when Hank was going through a bad nervous breakdown.
...That's the joke. While the wife-beating is the obvious hyperbole and Fun Size was being sarcastic, I went the opposite direction with expectations saying that it's his role in the Avengers that was exaggerated (cause it's not like he was a founding member or anything). Evidently it did not come across well... :oops:

Bowielee

Bowielee

I thought that too, but I just re-read the Kree/Skrull War and he straight up pimp slaps Wasp unconscious (he was doing it to protect her/keep her out of the fight, but still).

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

So it sounds like Edgar's original pitch is happening, and it will indeed be based on the idea of young Lang stealing old Pym's suit. I never watched the show, but from what I'm reading of "To Steal An Ant-Man", it sounds like Ant Man may be Marvel's bridge between the Avengers and the upcoming Netflix-exclusive series.

Covar

Covar

I thought that too, but I just re-read the Kree/Skrull War and he straight up pimp slaps Wasp unconscious (he was doing it to protect her/keep her out of the fight, but still).
That's exactly what spousal abuse is. :rolleyes:

BananaHands

BananaHands

Evangeline Lilly being looked at for Wasp!

I can see it. I don't much care for her being Hank Pym's daughter, but eh.

I really don't like her as Scott's love interest though. I like him and Darla.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

What if they jumped right to her being Scott's divorcee? Wasn't that one of the factors why he became Ant Man in the first place?

BananaHands

BananaHands

What if they jumped right to her being Scott's divorcee? Wasn't that one of the factors why he became Ant Man in the first place?
Yeah. Divorce and his daughter, Cassie, being sick.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Patrick Wilson has joined the cast.

https://www.nerdist.com/2014/02/patrick-wilson-joins-the-cast-of-ant-man/

Some speculate that he could be playing either Eric O'Grady or Hank Pym from during his days as Ant-Man.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

This went from being my most anticipated movie of next year to a movie I don't care whether or not I see in theatres. I hope Edgar Wright gets something big soon

Frank

Frank

McKay is in, then out. The director of Dodgeball is in, then out again.

This movie is as good as cancelled.

Tiger Tsang

Tiger Tsang

I really hope Disney isn't sticking their fingers into Marvel's pies :(

evilmike

evilmike

Peyton Reed Is Ant-Man's New Director. (via io9) Adam McKay is involved in the rewrite of the script.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

The most interesting thing on Peyton Reed's filmography is 13 episodes of the Weird Al Show in 1997.
Other than that, Bring it On, Yes Man, and 3 episodes of New Girl...
Seems like a weird choice. Also, they're STILL doing more rewrites, and they're doing them with Adam McKay, of Anchorman and Stepbrothers, which further solidifies my belief that they wanted to take Edgar Wright's vision and turn it into a flat out comedy rather than the comedic action movie he was aiming for.

X

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I mean, McKay and Rudd have at least worked together, so that's something, but man I am not even half as interested in this as I used to be.

Frank

Frank

The most interesting thing on Peyton Reed's filmography is 13 episodes of the Weird Al Show in 1997.
Other than that, Bring it On, Yes Man, and 3 episodes of New Girl...
Seems like a weird choice. Also, they're STILL doing more rewrites, and they're doing them with Adam McKay, of Anchorman and Stepbrothers, which further solidifies my belief that they wanted to take Edgar Wright's vision and turn it into a flat out comedy rather than the comedic action movie he was aiming for.

X
To me it sounds exactly like Wright wouldn't buckle as easily to Disney exec demands and they've found exactly the kind of director that will.

Espy

Espy

Yeah… I'm not very interested anymore. I already didn't give a shit about the character but I love Edgar Wright. Maybe Paul Rudd will be enough to get me there? Maybe?

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Sounds like a classic case of executive meddling.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

So, there's been a bunch of details now released regarding Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man have been released over on the following link: http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2014/06/19/age-of-ultron-and-ant-man-details-emerge-minor-spoilers/

While the Avengers stuff does sound interesting, we finally have some more details regarding Ant-Man. (spoilered for any potential minor spoilers, copied right from the site)

The story begins with Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) being a thief and single dad who has fallen on hard times and one day breaks into Hank Pym’s apartment and steals the Ant-Man suit.

The main villain’s name is Darren Cross who, in the comics, runs Cross Technological Enterprises, a competitor company for Stark Industries and Oscorp. His cousin is the villain known as Crossfire. It’s unknown if this role will be played by Patrick Wilson or Corey Stoll. He will have a suit with a similar feel to Ant-Man’s but more military [in] style, yellow and black in color, and with a tendril-looking apparatus coming off it’s back (like with Agent Venom). It’s to note that in the comics Cross looks more like a pink Hulk, so there may well be some merging of attributes from other characters for this role or multiple villains at that (Yellowjacket, perhaps?).

The ANT-MAN suit will be much more elaborate than we’ve seen so far with the helmet being able to open and close much like Iron Man and an assortment of red lights all over the suit, again in “TRON” fashion. The helmet eyes will also glow red when closed. It’s said to be a much more complex and futuristic suit than we’ve seen so far.

Ants (the actual insect) are the main ally and superpower for ANT-MAN in the film. Lang will speak to the ants via his helmet, just as in the comics, which is said to be a special element to the overall story.

In short, we know the villains now: Darren Cross (who has seen been confirmed to be played by Corey Stoll) and Crossfire (who'll be played by Patrick Wilson). Normally, Darren Cross has just been a Hulk-type threat colored pink. Here, it sounds like they've instead designed him as more of a foil with a suit similar to Ant-Man, but with a more military design and yellow-black coloring. That sounds to me like they may be giving Darren Cross elements of Hank Pym's Yellowjacket persona.

bhamv3

bhamv3

That sounds rather similar to what's already been done in Iron Man. Several times, in fact.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Marvel has released a piece of concept art of Ant-Man at San Diego Comic-Con.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm much less hyped than I once was, but fuck that suit looks fantastic.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I'm getting a bit of a Kamen Rider vibe from that suit.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That looks fantastic, but given that this movie is currently going through MAJOR developmental Hell, I'm really worried.

Frank

Frank

I wanna live in the world where Darren Aronofski made a Wolverine movie and where Edgar Wright made an Ant-Man one.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I'm much less hyped than I once was, but fuck that suit looks fantastic.
hehe... but fuck.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well, we have a few role confirmations. Corey Stoll will be playing Darren Cross (who will be Yellowjacket) and Evangeline Lilly will be playing Hope Van Dyne, the daughter of Hank Pym. We also have a little more of a gleam into the plot, which is that Darren Cross and Hank Pym are business partners. However, Cross is taking their company in a dangerous direction and Pym wants to put a stop to it.

fade

fade

Earth's Mightiest Heroes did an excellent job with Pym, including his transition to Yellowjacket.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Earth's Mightiest Heroes was the best animated version of The Avengers I've ever seen, if not the entire Marvel universe. It was Bruce Timm DCAU good.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Earth's Mightiest Heroes was the best animated version of The Avengers I've ever seen, if not the entire Marvel universe. It was Bruce Timm DCAU good.
What I've seen of Avengers Assemble isn't too terrible ether, but it's very much trying to replicate the feel of the movies. It's not bad but it wasn't the same.

fade

fade

It's mostly the same writers isn't it?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

New test footage released of Rudd in the Ant Man costume. Pretty good stuff.

IronBrig4

IronBrig4

Wow, I love how they even changed the hair styles so the characters look like they're from an '80s Bronze Age comic.

@Li3n

@Li3n

New test footage released of Rudd in the Ant Man costume. Pretty good stuff.

Ok, who on this board is secretly Conan?

evilmike

evilmike

Evangeline Lilly has posted a couple of pictures showing off her hair style for Ant-Man:

evilmike

evilmike

Topless Robot is reporting that there will be a new trailer available tomorrow. It is supposed to have more humor and highlight the dynamic size changes of Ant-Man's powers.

It will be interesting to see how it is received. I still think that there is a major difference between the first trailer and that of Green Lantern. The Green Lantern trailer actually hurt the potential box office for the movie. It showed off the questionable special effects and clunky dialog. It became part of the story about the problems with the movie. The Ant-Man trailer wasn't particularly good, but it wasn't particularly bad. That's why it is different than the GL trailer, it's not part of the story. The trailer was forgettable. It didn't actually do any damage.

Of course, if they botch this new one...

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Okay, NOW I'm in. This is the trailer I was hoping for the first time around.

Still wish we could've gotten the Edgar Wright version, but this looks like fun.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

That Thomas the Train bit was clever.

fade

fade

Gets a meh from me so far. I'll watch it, but at this point, it looks like a fluffy blockbuster piece without the heart that made the MCU so appealing to this point.

Frank

Frank

The little end bit got an audible chuckle out of me.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, this looks like it'll be a fun afternoon at least. Whether or not it gives me a lasting impression is another matter entirely.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Okay, I'm a bit more optimistic now, plus Corey Stoll is a great actor and I'm looking forward to seeing him as the villain.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The little end bit got an audible chuckle out of me.

NSFW audio

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Okay, I'm a bit more optimistic now, plus Corey Stoll is a great actor and I'm looking forward to seeing him as the villain.
When I saw him and realized who it was...I might have had a fangirl moment.

Null

Null

This second trailer really upped my expectations and excitement for this movie. You've done it again, Marvel.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I could not stop laughing throughout that trailer. I have no clue if that's good or bad

MindDetective

MindDetective

It kind of looks like an Iron Man ripoff to me.

PatrThom

PatrThom

at this point, it looks like a fluffy blockbuster piece without the heart that made the MCU so appealing to this point.
At this point, it looks almost like Iron Man (2008).

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Glorious.

evilmike

evilmike

A few promo images have been released recently:

(via io9)

X