[Movies] Ant-Man

McKay is in, then out. The director of Dodgeball is in, then out again.

This movie is as good as cancelled.

The most interesting thing on Peyton Reed's filmography is 13 episodes of the Weird Al Show in 1997.
Other than that, Bring it On, Yes Man, and 3 episodes of New Girl...
Seems like a weird choice. Also, they're STILL doing more rewrites, and they're doing them with Adam McKay, of Anchorman and Stepbrothers, which further solidifies my belief that they wanted to take Edgar Wright's vision and turn it into a flat out comedy rather than the comedic action movie he was aiming for.

X

I mean, McKay and Rudd have at least worked together, so that's something, but man I am not even half as interested in this as I used to be.

The most interesting thing on Peyton Reed's filmography is 13 episodes of the Weird Al Show in 1997.
Other than that, Bring it On, Yes Man, and 3 episodes of New Girl...
Seems like a weird choice. Also, they're STILL doing more rewrites, and they're doing them with Adam McKay, of Anchorman and Stepbrothers, which further solidifies my belief that they wanted to take Edgar Wright's vision and turn it into a flat out comedy rather than the comedic action movie he was aiming for.

X
To me it sounds exactly like Wright wouldn't buckle as easily to Disney exec demands and they've found exactly the kind of director that will.

Yeah… I'm not very interested anymore. I already didn't give a shit about the character but I love Edgar Wright. Maybe Paul Rudd will be enough to get me there? Maybe?

So, there's been a bunch of details now released regarding Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man have been released over on the following link: http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2014/06/19/age-of-ultron-and-ant-man-details-emerge-minor-spoilers/

While the Avengers stuff does sound interesting, we finally have some more details regarding Ant-Man. (spoilered for any potential minor spoilers, copied right from the site)

The story begins with Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) being a thief and single dad who has fallen on hard times and one day breaks into Hank Pym’s apartment and steals the Ant-Man suit.

The main villain’s name is Darren Cross who, in the comics, runs Cross Technological Enterprises, a competitor company for Stark Industries and Oscorp. His cousin is the villain known as Crossfire. It’s unknown if this role will be played by Patrick Wilson or Corey Stoll. He will have a suit with a similar feel to Ant-Man’s but more military [in] style, yellow and black in color, and with a tendril-looking apparatus coming off it’s back (like with Agent Venom). It’s to note that in the comics Cross looks more like a pink Hulk, so there may well be some merging of attributes from other characters for this role or multiple villains at that (Yellowjacket, perhaps?).

The ANT-MAN suit will be much more elaborate than we’ve seen so far with the helmet being able to open and close much like Iron Man and an assortment of red lights all over the suit, again in “TRON” fashion. The helmet eyes will also glow red when closed. It’s said to be a much more complex and futuristic suit than we’ve seen so far.

Ants (the actual insect) are the main ally and superpower for ANT-MAN in the film. Lang will speak to the ants via his helmet, just as in the comics, which is said to be a special element to the overall story.

In short, we know the villains now: Darren Cross (who has seen been confirmed to be played by Corey Stoll) and Crossfire (who'll be played by Patrick Wilson). Normally, Darren Cross has just been a Hulk-type threat colored pink. Here, it sounds like they've instead designed him as more of a foil with a suit similar to Ant-Man, but with a more military design and yellow-black coloring. That sounds to me like they may be giving Darren Cross elements of Hank Pym's Yellowjacket persona.

Well, we have a few role confirmations. Corey Stoll will be playing Darren Cross (who will be Yellowjacket) and Evangeline Lilly will be playing Hope Van Dyne, the daughter of Hank Pym. We also have a little more of a gleam into the plot, which is that Darren Cross and Hank Pym are business partners. However, Cross is taking their company in a dangerous direction and Pym wants to put a stop to it.

Earth's Mightiest Heroes was the best animated version of The Avengers I've ever seen, if not the entire Marvel universe. It was Bruce Timm DCAU good.

Earth's Mightiest Heroes was the best animated version of The Avengers I've ever seen, if not the entire Marvel universe. It was Bruce Timm DCAU good.
What I've seen of Avengers Assemble isn't too terrible ether, but it's very much trying to replicate the feel of the movies. It's not bad but it wasn't the same.

Topless Robot is reporting that there will be a new trailer available tomorrow. It is supposed to have more humor and highlight the dynamic size changes of Ant-Man's powers.

It will be interesting to see how it is received. I still think that there is a major difference between the first trailer and that of Green Lantern. The Green Lantern trailer actually hurt the potential box office for the movie. It showed off the questionable special effects and clunky dialog. It became part of the story about the problems with the movie. The Ant-Man trailer wasn't particularly good, but it wasn't particularly bad. That's why it is different than the GL trailer, it's not part of the story. The trailer was forgettable. It didn't actually do any damage.

Of course, if they botch this new one...

Okay, NOW I'm in. This is the trailer I was hoping for the first time around.

Still wish we could've gotten the Edgar Wright version, but this looks like fun.

fade

Staff member
Gets a meh from me so far. I'll watch it, but at this point, it looks like a fluffy blockbuster piece without the heart that made the MCU so appealing to this point.