[Movies] Ant-Man

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Edgar Wright does have two possible people in mind now to play Ant-Man: either Joseph Gordon-Levitt or Paul Rudd.

Yeah, but the Scarlet Witch keeps going crazy.
Well they keep fucking up her powers and making her too strong... and then they have to fix it and can't think of anything better. At least she doesn't keep dying and coming back, like some other i can think of (no matter how appropriate the codename).

I'd rather have Ms. Marvel than the Scarlet Witch. Mutant magic/magic characters are less compelling to me. Though, I'll take the witch over Black Widow.
I am actually curious how they will handle her character. Will calling her a "mutant" cause a stink with Sony? Also, I wonder how they will approach her magic, considering they went to great lengths to alter the Thor cinematic universe to involve a whole lot of technology behind a lot of the things they use and just sort of hand waving the rest.

I am actually curious how they will handle her character. Will calling her a "mutant" cause a stink with Sony? Also, I wonder how they will approach her magic, considering they went to great lengths to alter the Thor cinematic universe to involve a whole lot of technology behind a lot of the things they use and just sort of hand waving the rest.
Maybe they'll do the smart thing and just go back to ther original power, and just use it better...

Powers going off wrong, people slipping at the most inconvenient time, random stuff happening that impedes the bad guys etc. Works for Longshot, just do it in reverse.

I hate the entire concept of "luck" powers. Even though I may like the characters individually (Longshot, Black Cat, Scarlet Witch, Domino) if they're any good it's usually in spite of their powers, not because of them.

Necronic

Staff member
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Edgar Wright does have two possible people in mind now to play Ant-Man: either Joseph Gordon-Levitt or Paul Rudd.
Paul Rudd could be incredible in that role, or awful. JGL is a safe bet, but probably won't excel.

I hate the entire concept of "luck" powers. Even though I may like the characters individually (Longshot, Black Cat, Scarlet Witch, Domino) if they're any good it's usually in spite of their powers, not because of them.
As opposed to deus ex machina "magic" powers that do (or dont do) whatever the plot requires?

Sure, luck powers are hard to write well, but PAD did pretty well with Longshot...

Paul Rudd could be incredible in that role, or awful. JGL is a safe bet, but probably won't excel.
If this Ant-Man is the dude who steals the technology from SHIELD and is a complete dick Ant-Man, I would love to see Paul Rudd in the role.

I REALLY hope they play up the abusive/innadequacy angle, just a bit.
My guess is that they're only going to have a passing reference to it. Sort of like if Ant-Man punches out a henchwoman, and someone comments, "So you don't have a problem with hitting women?" And he replies, "Not one bit."

I can't see them acknowledging it at all. People will flip out and complain that they are supposed to be family films, shouldn't have such dark themes, blah blah blah.

Confirmed by Marvel:
http://marvel.com/news/movies/2013/12/19/21669/paul_rudd_set_to_star_in_marvels_ant-man
No official word on whether he's playing Lang, or Pym though.

“When Edgar Wright came to us with the idea of Paul Rudd, we felt a huge sense of relief because the first step in creating any Marvel Studios film is finding the right star," said Marvel's Kevin Feige. "We knew early on that we had found the right person in Paul. When he not only agreed to do it but became as enthusiastic as any actor we’d ever met with about doing the work, we knew we’d found the right guy. We couldn’t be more excited for our audiences to see what he’s going to do to bring Ant-Man to life.”

Last edited:
If they're smart they will just ignore the absolutely worst and most ham-fisted PSA story that only serve to ruin two perfectly good characters. Made worse by as shoes, including the Michael Bay of comics Mark Millar, who feel the need to solely define the characters by it.

I believe the original pitch by Wright included both.

my thinking is Pym invents the suit, Lang later steals it. Eventually, Pym returns as Giant Man

This way whether Paul Rudd is playing Pym or Lang, we still get to see more of him acting alongside Robert Downey Junior and gang later on.

Well, Pym returns as Yellowjacket so we can eventually have both Ant-Man and Yellowjacket in the same movie.

Any word on Wasp?

If Edgar Wright is at the helm, I'm definitely looking forward to a less serious take on Ant-Man. He really is a ridiculous hero, and I'd love to see that played up. Especially if they have Paul Rudd in there playing Lang, who was decidedly less serious than Pym. They can just have Pym be another super-scientist, IMO.

I don't think they would have enough time in a single movie to have both characters be mainstays. My guess is they are going to go the route of Hank Pym being involved as the inventor, and maybe test out the suit near the beginning, while Lang ultimately steals it close to half way through, leading to the more action filled sections shown in those test shots we saw awhile back. I always felt those shots when he is becoming small and punching guards in the face was much less Pym and way more Lang (Pym always tired himself out punching Wasp. Oh shiiii.... That was hard to say)

If that is the case, then Rudd is likely playing Lang, since he would continue on as Ant-Man from that point.

I don't think they would have enough time in a single movie to have both characters be mainstays. My guess is they are going to go the route of Hank Pym being involved as the inventor, and maybe test out the suit near the beginning, while Lang ultimately steals it close to half way through, leading to the more action filled sections shown in those test shots we saw awhile back. I always felt those shots when he is becoming small and punching guards in the face was much less Pym and way more Lang (Pym always tired himself out punching Wasp. Oh shiiii.... That was hard to say)

If that is the case, then Rudd is likely playing Lang, since he would continue on as Ant-Man from that point.
I could see that. There's also been early talk by Kevin Feige describing the film as a "heist" movie, so it could be like that.

Man, I kind of forget just how much I like Paul Rudd until I see him in another movie. Dude may be the single most likable actor ever.

This is the super hero flick I'm most excited for (this and GotG).

You comic book ner...aficionados are going to have to fill this is for those of us who got all of our information from Avengers Assemble. Isn't Hank Pym not that much older than Scott Lang? Also, judging from what I've seen online, Hank Pym's entire run as Ant Man was continually spent beating his wife while occasionally pausing to hang out with the Avengers. Does that sound about right, or is there a touch of hyperbole going on there?

You comic book ner...aficionados are going to have to fill this is for those of us who got all of our information from Avengers Assemble. Isn't Hank Pym not that much older than Scott Lang? Also, judging from what I've seen online, Hank Pym's entire run as Ant Man was continually spent beating his wife while occasionally pausing to hang out with the Avengers. Does that sound about right, or is there a touch of hyperbole going on there?
Totally hyperbole. People see Hank Pym in a couple of panels with the Avengers and get the idea it's a regular thing.

:p

More seriously, while Hank Pym isn't normally much older than Scott, Wright mentioned in an interview a couple of years ago that he saw himself using Hank as a superhero in the 60's, old school style, then jumping forward to Scott's story (taken from the link about Rudd's casting up the thread).

Totally hyperbole. People see Hank Pym in a couple of panels with the Avengers and get the idea it's a regular thing.

:p

More seriously, while Hank Pym isn't normally much older than Scott, Wright mentioned in an interview a couple of years ago that he saw himself using Hank as a superhero in the 60's, old school style, then jumping forward to Scott's story (taken from the link about Rudd's casting up the thread).
That, and the wife beating was one time when Hank was going through a bad nervous breakdown.

That, and the wife beating was one time when Hank was going through a bad nervous breakdown.
...That's the joke. While the wife-beating is the obvious hyperbole and Fun Size was being sarcastic, I went the opposite direction with expectations saying that it's his role in the Avengers that was exaggerated (cause it's not like he was a founding member or anything). Evidently it did not come across well... :oops:

I thought that too, but I just re-read the Kree/Skrull War and he straight up pimp slaps Wasp unconscious (he was doing it to protect her/keep her out of the fight, but still).

So it sounds like Edgar's original pitch is happening, and it will indeed be based on the idea of young Lang stealing old Pym's suit. I never watched the show, but from what I'm reading of "To Steal An Ant-Man", it sounds like Ant Man may be Marvel's bridge between the Avengers and the upcoming Netflix-exclusive series.

What if they jumped right to her being Scott's divorcee? Wasn't that one of the factors why he became Ant Man in the first place?