[News] Anon goes to war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my all time favorite argument is the "Well, no one is losing out since I never would have bought it anyway". The logic of that completely loses me. I mean, there are some valid and some semi-valid reasons to dl torrents, but that one just mystifies me.
Well the position is that theft is wrong because when i take a thing from you you no longer have it...

Like if you had an actual cornucopia that gave out unlimited food, and someone took food from it without your permission, would he be a bad person, or would you for not giving it to everyone, because you'll never run out anyway.

Of course the problem is that while the virtual good are unlimited, food and shelter isn't, so they can't give out the unlimited resource for nothing because they'll starve... but if i can't/won't give him the amount of money he's asking then making another copy won't actually deprive anyone of the resource nor will it change the fact that he won't get any money from me... making a stand based on morals developed for limited resources makes little sense then...

Of course plenty of people that use that argument are probably lying...
Added at: 08:26
healthcare is a right, season 3 of the sopranos is a privilege
Yeah, but healthcare needs limited resources to make more medicine etc... while making another copy of a Sopranos episode is virtually costless...

If healthcare and food where as easy to reproduce no one would even bother arguing about watching the Sopranos' without paying...

We'd be all like "what are you, a Ferengi?"

ElJuski

Staff member
Hipsterism isn't about music. It's a scene.
Added at: 12:03
Oh, go back to the Decembrists, all of yah.
The King Is Dead was one of my faves from last year. I keep hearing rave reviews of the B-sides, but I haven't checked it out yet.

I've honestly only liked The Hazards of Love and a few single tracks from other albums. The Decemberists are kinda hit or miss. The songs that are good are amazing but the rest are just utterly forgettable.

I can't believe this got by my radar. No, it isn't a right. You don't even know what "a right" is if you said this. By your logic, the 2nd amendment means the government has to buy us all guns.
It is in my country.

And by it is I meant the gun thing. Free guns for all.

ElJuski

Staff member
I've honestly only liked The Hazards of Love and a few single tracks from other albums. The Decemberists are kinda hit or miss. The songs that are good are amazing but the rest are just utterly forgettable.
and that's why I don't get music advice from you!

I haven't head the newest Decemberists album yet, but I really enjoyed their first couple (not to mention their live show, which was great). Maybe I'll check it out.

The part of this I don't like, is that cable companies have not lived up to their promises to make the content available to consumers. They have repeatedly knee-capped cable card technologies in order to make it harder for home users to access content they paid for. They have killed off firewire ports, and continually defied both what they promised customers and what they were legally required to do by the government. They have intentionally made it as difficult as possible to record video on your own terms, without renting a DVR from them, and specifically targeted any and all forms of DIY home theater boxes, trying to make them as expensive and difficult to implement as possible.
"Vendor Lock-in."

--Patrick
Added at: 13:39
American Idiot is better in both music and scope (content) than anything Weezer has ever done. Ever.
Do you mean the album? Or the Broadway musical?

--Patrick

Nothing wrong with stopping shady businesses, as long as you protect the people who are affected by said business. I will never stand by the idea that should the government decide to shutter a business, that those utilizing it for legal reasons are "shit out of luck" when something they own is tied up in it. It is that passive, "this does not affect me, why should I care?" nature that bothers me the most. Again, this is not the servers breaking down in a freak accident. This is the feds making a conscious choice to shutter service regardless of legal users, with servers and an infrastructure already there to provide said users to reclaim what they put up.
Well, guess what? Looks like some people are just shit out of luck.

Attorney General set to destroy tens of millions of users' legitimate MegaUpload files

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.