AMA: stienman sells c shells down by the seashore

Are you a Pokemon fan?
No. I've played pokemon go a bit, my kids have attempted pokemon games with me, and I've seen bits and pieces of pokemon shows and movies. Enough to be aware of the major themes and aspects to the various properties, but I don't really have any interest in the ecosystem.

Harry Potter?
Yes. We would buy the books at midnight and have them read 10-16 hours later. At the end we were buying two books so we didn't have to share, and my inlaws would buy the extra one from us. We saw the movies in the theater, and have them at home.

Hunger Games?
Yes, but not to the degree we like LoTR or Harry Potter. We haven't purchased the movies, though we've seen them all, and we both read the books.

B

BErt

What's your end-game on offspring? You've already passed euchre tournament/golf team/family band.

What's the average useful age on keeping your own chickens? Ive always been curious on this, -and then after seeing your setup i noticed some people not that far from me also keep them. Is it worth the trouble?

What's your end-game on offspring? You've already passed euchre tournament/golf team/family band.
When we started neither of us were thinking we'd have more than four or maybe five, but as we've experienced the joy of children and as we've more closely walked the path we believe God has designed for us, we haven't yet felt that our family was complete. We still don't feel like we're done now that we have 9 children, so chances are pretty good we'll have another child down the road. Beyond that, though, I don't know.

I hope we stop having kids before we get grandkids, though...

What's the average useful age on keeping your own chickens? Ive always been curious on this, -and then after seeing your setup i noticed some people not that far from me also keep them. Is it worth the trouble?
Chickens will lay pretty reliably up to 3 years, and even then they'll only slow down a little bit. Breeds raised specifically for laying will often lay for 5 or more years. When we had five hens in a small 20 square foot coop we would spend $15 a month on feed and wood shavings, and we'd get 4 eggs a day. So for $15 you get about 10 dozen eggs a month, which is a pretty decent deal given they are essentially equivalent to organic free range eggs that cost a lot more from the store. In the summer you can collect eggs, feed, and water them every other day, so the upkeep isn't excessive.

Winter care is more annoying, though. You get a heated dish for water, close up the cage as best as you can to give them a spot to rest out of the wind, and the egg production drops significantly unless you install a lamp in the coop with a timer so they get 15 hours of light a day. You do have to go out every day to collect the eggs, though, or else they'll freeze and crack.

Given that you already have a dog you have to walk a few times a day, though, it's probably not really any more work than you're already committed to.

What you might find surprising is that the chickens will bond with you and follow you around the yard if you let them out of the cage. They even put themselves to bed at night, roosting in the cage, so we usually let ours roam around during the day - which reduces feed since they eat grass, weeds, and bugs. The eggs probably taste better for it too. Also there is a literal pecking order they develop.

Chickens seem to like having friends, and sometimes chickens die, so I'd recommend no fewer than 3, you can always give away eggs.

I can't think of a question. What should I ask you?
I like open ended or opinion based questions. They don't result in yes/no or limited responses.

So while "what's your favorite color" is interesting, what about your favorite color makes it your favorite? Or what items do you own that aren't your favorite color and why? Are somewhat more insightful.

Does the name Stu Hegeman have any relevance to your area of expertise?
No, had to search him to know who he is. I don't do much analog design, any analog I deal with is quickly filtered and digitized after which I prefer massaging it digitally. When I need to make an amplifier I usually turn towards off the shelf solutions, such and single chip amps or amplifier modules, it's just not something I'm very interested in doing myself.