a Trump vs Clinton United States Presidential Election in 2016

Who do you vote into the office of USA President?

• Total voters
I'm sure a private institution seeking tuition dollars would face a similar dilemma...and produce a similar conclusion. So how do you incentivize in a way that rewards schools for teaching right instead of pushing through?
I'd worry that would lead to a sort of For-Profit Prisons, Junior Edition.
That is, one where people would be held back for additional (expensive) "help."

--Patrick

Let's let the forumites from other countries decide our fate in the meantime.
Whoohoo! POWER! POWER!

*cough*

I don't think completely privatizing education will work, or is in any way a good idea. On the other hand, it's near-impossible to keep decent levels throughout a nation-wide system without good oversight. Third, certainly in the US, forcing too much things can often have unfortunate results - see "Texas school books" .

For comparison, in Belgium, there are two systems. On the one hand, government-run schools (village, city, province, federal, all have their own school networks but they're all more or less the same). On the other hand, "free" schools (not "free" as in "for no money" but as in "freedom"), which are private. Most of those are Catholic and form their own network, though there are a number of Steiner school,s Muslim schools, protestant schools and freemason liberal schools. These aren't controlled by the government and are free to choose their curriculum, up to a degree. However, these, too, are "free". Government schools and free schools are both given money by the government, with free schools being allowed to ask an extra contribution from parents, within limits.
The government lists a set of "end terms" pupils need to have mastered every year, which....well, it's about 80% of the curriculum, at a quick guess, and includes factual information (history, math, language levels, blah), skills, values and "attitudes". The first are tested, the other two observed by inspection. Not that you can really check for "civic duty" or "openmindedness" - let alone that schools succeed in teaching those values - but it gives them a way to shut down schools that are too stupid to hide their brainwashing properly.

It seems to sort of work, though there's constant tension between the two, and it is a system open to abuse just as much as yours is. Still, since all government schools cost the same for parents (books, clothes, and food), and the maximum "extra" free schools can ask is fairly limited (I think it's somewhere around €800/year right now? Not entirely sure), there isn't as much of a difference in quality between schools - though there still is one, inner city ghetto schools where half the students come in barely speaking the language can't exactly keep up, and people tend to be able to pick the school they want in most regions. In areas where there are bigger differences in quality (mainly, Brussels, and the difference has more to do with the French vs Dutch schools - while the French community invests far more per student the return is much worse), you do get issues like parents camping out in front of the school for days when registration opens to "get in". Which benefits parents who have a job where they can take a few days off etc etc.

*shrug* There's no perfect system.

Man, all that power and nothing useful to do with it.

Wait. So the new Secretary of Education is against making kids go to school and for getting rid of the child labor laws to allow kids to work in mines? Uh...

http://blog.acton.org/archives/89837-bring-back-child-labor-work-is-a-gift-our-kids-can-handle.html

Okay, so it's not written or endorsed by her, but it is on her Action Institute site.

That's kind of amazing. But what the hell. Billionaires always have our best interests at heart.
Did you read it? I don't agree with it entirely, but there are some good points, and it's not that radical. At all.

Dave

Staff member
I wonder if you read it before or after the edits that were made. Because he's changed it and removed some wording, adding a disclaimer to the beginning that changes the meaning of the original slightly.

The facepalm of the hour...

You know, i was wondering with what they planed on replacing all the illegal immigrant labour with... guess now i know.[DOUBLEPOST=1480039548,1480038968][/DOUBLEPOST]
Did you read it? I don't agree with it entirely, but there are some good points, and it's not that radical. At all.
Yeah, making school attendance no longer compulsory so kids can work at Walmart is just something we can all agree on.

You know, i was wondering with what they planed on replacing all the illegal immigrant labour with... guess now i know.[DOUBLEPOST=1480039548,1480038968][/DOUBLEPOST]

Yeah, making school attendance no longer compulsory so kids can work at Walmart is just something we can all agree on.
Literally not what he said.

Literally not what he said.
Technically, you're right, he just literally agreed with a quote that said that... good catch.

As Tucker concludes, the current economic avenues for unskilled labor are actually prime territory for introducing our children to risk and service, never mind the side effects of practical education and character cultivation: "If kids were allowed to work and compulsory school attendance was abolished, the jobs of choice would be at Chick-Fil-A and WalMart."
But hey, he edited to say he doesn't want to abolish compulsory ed. up to middle-school, good for him.

Since all Trump does is project, this is all but confirmation that the calls for recounts in some states are probably legit.

Zappit

Staff member
Crossing my fingers the recounts reveal MASSIVE Republican fraud. The irony could be harnessed to produce a safe replacement for Xanax.

Plus, it would, you know, save the country from a facist regime.

Crossing my fingers the recounts reveal MASSIVE Republican fraud. The irony could be harnessed to produce a safe replacement for Xanax.

Plus, it would, you know, save the country from a facist regime.

I don't know which side it favours, but I was listening to some electoral statisticians being interviewed after the election, and up until electronic voting; exit polls very very very accurately matched the actual election results. Since the implementation of electronic voting machines and the lack of physical ballots they are way way way off.

Zappit

Staff member
Those polls were not as off as they turned out; I've had a feeling in my gut since that night that something was seriously off. I think many of those secret Trump voters were preprogrammed into those damned machines. The way Trump is bitching about the recount makes me think there's something serious they might uncover.

Time to drop the electronic voting machines. Just go straight paper.

I think it's hilarious how Trump is tweeting we should "accept" the "clear" results of this election and all that jazz, while you know that if the numbers were the other way around the accusations about fraud would be innumerable.

I think it's hilarious how Trump is tweeting we should "accept" the "clear" results of this election and all that jazz, while you know that if the numbers were the other way around the accusations about fraud would be innumerable.
He won and he's accusing the other side of fraud.

Dave

Staff member
IF there is rampant fraud like what Trump says, THEN we really should do a complete audit AND he should have to abide by the results.

BUT it won't happen.

figmentPez

Staff member

Since all Trump does is project, this is all but confirmation that the calls for recounts in some states are probably legit.
This could be about fraud, or Trump could just be pissed that people who aren't landowners are allowed a say in the political process.

So, the Trump Train is looking to add disgraced General David Patraeus to its Legion of Supervillains. So in addition to having a National Security Advisor in the pay of other nations, we'll have a staff member who got busted for giving 200 classified documents to his mistress, who published some of them in her book about him.

I mean, it's not like there was a months long witch hunt over someone potentially mishandling classified information that become a cornerstone of the campaign or anything. In this case, Patraeus didn't potentially mishandle classified information, he outright fucking did it, was convicted, and was given a one-year suspended sentence. But I guess that's okay in Trumpistan, right?

Necronic

Staff member
The Patreus thing is just baffling, until you remember that Trump has little to no clue what he's doing and many of his supporters are incredibly ignorant and easy to bamboozle.

Funny thing is I am kind of happy to see his name on there. There's a lot of reasons he shouldn't even have a shot, but of the people Trump has tapped he strikes me as one of the more competent ones. Which is of course quite ironic.

So...um, Trump probably should have had someone read him the constitution before bed.

And some of you guys thought the PC police/feminists were coming for your free speech.