a Trump vs Clinton United States Presidential Election in 2016

Who do you vote into the office of USA President?

• Total voters
See, y'all did it wrong. In Quebec, the drinking age is 18.

(I'm also trying real hard not to get offended by this, since I live in Southern Ontario along with half the population of Canada.)
Also 18 in Alberta. High School Grad was FUN when about half of you (give or take) were 100% legal.

Also 18 in Alberta. High School Grad was FUN when about half of you (give or take) were 100% legal.
Yeah, from what I understand, my grad (2000) was the last year they were allowed to have non-dry grad ceremonies in the city I graduated in.

I was 17. I got fuuuuuuuckin' blammo'd.

Yeah, from what I understand, my grad (2000) was the last year they were allowed to have non-dry grad ceremonies in the city I graduated in.

I was 17. I got fuuuuuuuckin' blammo'd.
God damnit. Apparently we're the same age. I also gradutated in 2000, but you're in Edmonton I thought? I was a Calgarian. And my birthday is in the first half of the year, so I was legal for grad. ;)

God damnit. Apparently we're the same age. I also gradutated in 2000, but you're in Edmonton I thought? I was a Calgarian. And my birthday is in the first half of the year, so I was legal for grad. ;)
I graduated in St. Albert. I do work in Edmonton.

How much do you want to bet that if birth control no longer has to be covered for "religious exemptions", vasectomies will still covered? Or any form of total sterilization, but vasectomy is what I'm going with, because it's way less invasive.

Man, is it not bonkers that Hilary Clinton will have received more votes than literally every presidential candidate in history, save for Barack Obama, and still lose so badly to Trump?

Man, is it not bonkers that Hilary Clinton will have received more votes than literally every presidential candidate in history, save for Barack Obama, and still lose so badly to Trump?
Yes, your electoral college is a stupid system left over from when transportations was hard.

Trump agreed before the election.

Jeez, after two failed bids at getting a senate seat, Linda McMahon has apparently managed to purchase a position in Trump's cabinet.

All for the low, low price of 6 million dollars.

I bet all the anti-establishment people out there are relieved that Trump's here to stop all this corruption.

I can't bring myself to care. When this grenade goes off, I'm sure they'll blame Obama and laugh their asses off all the way to the bank, all the while hurting the very people who voted him in.

Anyone watch him on 60 minutes? He dodged so many questions it was both funny and sad.

When he was told of all the horrible things people from his voter base are doing, he first feigns that he didn't even know about any of it, then sounds like an unenthused dad forced to yell at his kids, "stop it".

Anyone watch him on 60 minutes? He dodged so many questions it was both funny and sad.

When he was told of all the horrible things people from his voter base are doing, he first feigns that he didn't even know about any of it, then sounds like an unenthused dad forced to yell at his kids, "stop it".
"That's it, I'm turning this country around."

Dave

Staff member
That's pretty cool. I expected from the thumbnail that Hillary would be singing a dirge of some sort.

Outside of the content of the video, Kate McKinnon can play piano, guitar and cello, is excellent at improv and impressions and is apparently a hell of a writer too.

The fuck can't she do? She might be one of the most overall talented people on SNL ever.

Outside of the content of the video, Kate McKinnon can play piano, guitar and cello, is excellent at improv and impressions and is apparently a hell of a writer too.

The fuck can't she do? She might be one of the most overall talented people on SNL ever.
Havn't been paying much attention to SNL but I liked her in new Ghostbusters. I'm interested to see what she does with all this.

Jonathan Pie has an interesting perspective on the election. (Warning -- the camera work appears to have been done by a narcoleptic chimpanzee -- I'd recommend listening to but not watching the video.)

Jonathan Pie has an interesting perspective on the election. (Warning -- the camera work appears to have been done by a narcoleptic chimpanzee -- I'd recommend listening to but not watching the video.)
I literally posted that on the previous page :p

I agree, though I find it disturbing that people were willing to overlook that aspect.
My concern is that the mainstream political discourse is too focused on the bigots that support Trump to see anything else. That too much of the discourse is locked in on a false syllogism: a is b, some b is c, therefore all a is c (where a = rural whites, b = Trump support, c = racist). Did racists vote for Trump? Absolutely. Is everyone who voted for Trump a racist (or sexist)? Absolutely not.

And quite frankly, I am concerned that the increasingly hyperbolic discussion from the mainstream left on racism did nothing but help Trump get elected. If minor moments of racial insensitivity are labeled with 'racist', it obscures the meaning of that term. So when someone comes along who deserves the term applied to them, it doesn't carry the weight that it should.

My concern is that the mainstream political discourse is too focused on the bigots that support Trump to see anything else. That too much of the discourse is locked in on a false syllogism: a is b, some b is c, therefore all a is c (where a = rural whites, b = Trump support, c = racist). Did racists vote for Trump? Absolutely. Is everyone who voted for Trump a racist (or sexist)? Absolutely not.

And quite frankly, I am concerned that the increasingly hyperbolic discussion from the mainstream left on racism did nothing but help Trump get elected. If minor moments of racial insensitivity are labeled with 'racist', it obscures the meaning of that term. So when someone comes along who deserves the term applied to them, it doesn't carry the weight that it should.
I disagree that it was as simple as 'minor moments of racial insensitivity'. From the speeches being held all across the country it was quite clear what President Elect Trump was saying. Again, I don't understand how it can be labeled as minor, and I find it disturbing this is where we are today.

I disagree that it was as simple as 'minor moments of racial insensitivity'. From the speeches being held all across the country it was quite clear what President Elect Trump was saying. Again, I don't understand how it can be labeled as minor, and I find it disturbing this is where we are today.
I think his point was this: When the things that are more subtly racist are lumped in with the majorly racist things under the same broad label, it is easier for those who do not see or worry about the subtly racist things to dismiss the majorly racist things.

I would accept that if Trump hadn't run his campaign with the racism and misogyny literally on the tin as a selling point.

You may be a marvelous non-racist or sexist person in your day-to-day life. But if you voted for Trump, then you signaled at least a willingness to accept the outright racist and sexist policy suggestions that he made in exchange for other things.

People make those kinds of political calculations all the time of course. It's just a question of what negatives you're willing to accept, and then understanding that people can reasonably infer a great deal from those choices.

I can understand someone saying, "Because you voted for Clinton, that signals to me that you are fine with letting the coal industry die, which is how I make my living and feed my family." That makes sense. The Clinton campaign has been very clear about not giving a shit about revitalizing the coal industry.

Similarly, someone can say, "Because you voted for Trump, that signals to me that you are fine with the idea that police brutality against black people is the fault of black people, and that the government needs to impose law and order". This again makes sense, because that is something that the Trump campaign said multiple times during the campaign.

You can say you voted for Clinton/Trump for specific reasons that encompass neither one of those things. But you still voted knowing that those things were part of the package deal.

Last edited:
I think his point was this: When the things that are more subtly racist are lumped in with the majorly racist things under the same broad label, it is easier for those who do not see or worry about the subtly racist things to dismiss the majorly racist things.
Hm. If that's the case, I apologize for misreading it. It seemed as though he was blaming the media as being hyperbolic and in doing so minimized the impact of what was being said.