2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine

This entire thread is incredibly interesting, but this stuck out to me.

No wonder their military is such a mess.

Some really good insights from a nuclear expert. It's still a MAJOR concern, but it's not a simple matter of "Missile hit, instant nuclear holocaust."

No, but a meltdown due to the inability to keep the rods cool are a possibility if the Russians keep dropping missiles and artillery there.

War crimes are hilarious because every nation at war commits them and no one is ever held accountable.

What are the recent reports? I have been under the impression that Russia is making progress in this disgusting invasion.

What are the recent reports? I have been under the impression that Russia is making progress in this disgusting invasion.
Progress was unfortunately inevitable. Russia has a massive war machine of conscripts and allies willing to join them in Belarus and Chechnya. NATO is too scared of WW3 and nuclear reprisal to fire a shot, and since Ukraine was not a member they felt they didn't have to.

However, the Ukrainians have done better then anyone expected. Reports were Putin thought Kyiv would fall within 2-4 days and the whole country would surrender by day 15. That didnt happen, and there has been a decent difference between Ukraine losses and Russian losses (not counting civilians, which are a whole different issue, since they are not combatants) and the visible ineptitude of stuff like constantly running out of fuel and abandoning their tanks. People are doing the only thing they can, which is make fun of the ineptitude of the invasion since there is nothing we can do to stop it from progressing.

That is how conscription works. Putin basically called a bunch of people to report for mandatory military training at the border, then based on what we are hearing, told them they were waking up to do "military exercises" before they started getting shot at by Ukrainians. Most of them didn't even know they crossed a border till that point.

I'm not so optimistic about the outcome in this war. Even though the Russian troops were held off the first days, I fear it's only a matter of time Kyiv will fell.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not so optimistic about the outcome in this war. Even though the Russian troops were held off the first days, I fear it's only a matter of time Kyiv will fell.
They'll take it. They'll keep throwing bodies at it til it happens.

Holding it, however, will cost them even more than they have lost and will lose taking it.

America "took" Afghanistan and Iraq effortlessly.

We couldn't hold either.

Holding it, however, will cost them even more than they have lost and will lose taking it.

We couldn't hold either.
Yeah, everyone will lose in this war. The Ukrainians their home and many ( and on both sides) their lifes and freedom. The Russian already lost their freedom of speech and freedom of the press with the latest law.

We couldn't hold either.
I would be surprised if their goal was ever to actually hold it. It was probably just to destroy the dam holding water back from crimea, and causing enough damage to where Ukraine wouldn’t have enough resources to rebuild both the dam or build up their gas and oil resources.

The response from Europe probably complicated things for them, and now they may be looking to try to hold it, who knows.

⚠ WARNING: Disturbing content

Sky News journalists fired upon by a Russian death squad.

They are clearly identified and scream out they are journalists, but that doesn't stop the hail of bullets.

A story in three tweet pics:

...ok two. I can't find the first one now, but it was a pic of a twitter thread showing how soldiers in the Ukraine had sent pics of themselves hanging out in school buildings to their families/friends, the pictures are then reposted to reddit "for the updoots," and it was suggested that this is part of the reason why Russia has started attacking/destroying so many schools.

Pic #2:
followingdirections.png

And Pic #3:
wottarube.png

I really WANT Hanlon's razor to be true here, because the alternative of course confirms that some (many?) of our high-ranking political leaders are unequivocally either in Putin's pocket or else very much want to be, but even if it IS true, JoJo there is right on the money.

--Patrick

A very informative video I came across that does a great job explaining the strengths and weaknesses of the Russian forces and why they struggled so much early on.

GasBandit

Staff member
I would be surprised if their goal was ever to actually hold it. It was probably just to destroy the dam holding water back from crimea, and causing enough damage to where Ukraine wouldn’t have enough resources to rebuild both the dam or build up their gas and oil resources.

The response from Europe probably complicated things for them, and now they may be looking to try to hold it, who knows.
It's clear from the accidentally/prematurely posted news story about their "victory" in Ukraine that their plan was to blitz Kyiv, install a puppet regime, and cast it as returning Ukraine to the soviet fold.

What actually complicated it was Biden doing what people in power don't do and being completely transparent about what they learned. We got a play-by-play of what Putin was planning, pretty explicitly, from the white house. You can't blitz people when they already know what you are planning.

GasBandit

Staff member
A story in three tweet pics:

...ok two. I can't find the first one now, but it was a pic of a twitter thread showing how soldiers in the Ukraine had sent pics of themselves hanging out in school buildings to their families/friends, the pictures are then reposted to reddit "for the updoots," and it was suggested that this is part of the reason why Russia has started attacking/destroying so many schools.

Pic #2:
View attachment 40839

And Pic #3:
View attachment 40841
I really WANT Hanlon's razor to be true here, because the alternative of course confirms that some (many?) of our high-ranking political leaders are unequivocally either in Putin's pocket or else very much want to be, but even if it IS true, JoJo there is right on the money.

--Patrick