[NCAAF] 2017 College Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BErt

Seeing as how half the fan bases in the conference were rooting for us to lose anyway I don’t see why y’all are pretending to be upset. Spare me the conference pride/unity bullshit. It’s just as dumb as the “ESS EEE SEE” dorks who ride Bama’s coattails every year to imagined supremacy.

Dave

Staff member
I just like it when the Big 10 outclasses everyone in the bowl games because they continually get shit on as a conference by sports writers and announcers.

Easy to do well in bowls when your top teams are playing like, the 2nd and 3rd teams from other conferences.

Just watch the title game if you wanna see where it just means...more.

Dave

Staff member
Easy to do well in bowls when your top teams are playing like, the 2nd and 3rd teams from other conferences.

Just watch the title game if you wanna see where it just means...more.
Yeah, because Iowa and Northwestern are top teams in the Conference. Pardon me while I :rolleyes:

And note that I'm not upset in the least and my retorts are good-natured ribbing. I don't want people to think I actually give too much shit about this.

B

BErt

SEC “improved” their soft OOC scheduling by allowing Missouri to just up and join the conference.

SEC. were it just means more...to schedule Mercer.

B

BErt

You’ve been in the SEC for 5 years. This would be like Rutgers celebrating OSU’s win

I mean we've had two SECCG appearances so it's not like we've been Rutgers (by my calculations that's more Conference title games than Michigan has made in the same timespan).

I was just pointing out that it's easier to have a good record as a conference in bowl games when the CFP isn't snatching any of your top teams.

Not to mention, while we haven't played our main rival since leaving the Big 12, we've still beaten them more recently than Michigan has beaten Ohio State :D

B

BErt

And I was just pointing out that it’s dumb for you to have a boner over two teams that aren’t yours playing in the championship because they’re in the same conference.

But whatever man. Congratulations. Be sure to take pictures for us of the rings they send out to all the sec schools for this very real win.

We don't get rings. Just the money from the bowls.

But anywhom, I'm not the one who went in here talking about being excited for the Big 10's bowl record. I get that you aren't either. I just love a bit of shittalking. The moral of the story is that @Dave causes problems.

My contention is that, with so damn many conferences in I-FBS, the National Championship committee should be told "only choose conference champions." That way it would have been Clemson-UCF in the Sugar Bowl.

And now, with the new "any I-FBS conference can have a championship game, regardless of size" rule, there's no excuse to not do it.

B

BErt

I really dont see an easy solution. 8 teams seem like too many for most years, 6 teams in theory would be the best (all power-5 champs +1 at-large) but UCF still would have gotten hosed for Bama. And what about years when ND is in the running?

The biggest problem is the games and the bowls. Can't do anything with the number of games, nor eliminating the "Weed Whacker Bowl Classic Sponsored by WeedWhacker.com" bowls.

Usually I'm of the opinion that more football is better, but there were several really boring bowl games this year. But then, it was easy to just turn them off, so whatever, I guess.

Rich Rod and the University of Arizona have parted ways, following a season-long investigation into a sexual harassment allegation by a former employee. I'm not posting this in that other thread because the allegation could not be substantiated following an independent investigation. However, apparently something disturbing enough to warrant a mutual separation of ways was discovered inside the football program. The university will continue to pay his salary for the remainder of his contract length. Very unexpected.

Rich Rod and the University of Arizona have parted ways, following a season-long investigation into a sexual harassment allegation by a former employee. I'm not posting this in that other thread because the allegation could not be substantiated following an independent investigation. However, apparently something disturbing enough to warrant a mutual separation of ways was discovered inside the football program. The university will continue to pay his salary for the remainder of his contract length. Very unexpected.
But absolutely not surprising.

One of the stories surrounding his sudden departure from WVU was that his wife found out he was banging a cheerleader, and she gave him the ultimatum that to avoid a very messy and expensive divorce, they must leave Morgantown. That's the most popular explanation among fans here.

I'd never heard any of that, but it doesn't surprise me in the least, given the amount of sexual impropriety that goes on in connection with college athletics. Hell, my long-time favorite coach was Mike Price, fired by Alabama before his first season even began, for hiring strippers on the company credit card. Such a moronic move.

I'd never heard any of that, but it doesn't surprise me in the least, given the amount of sexual impropriety that goes on in connection with college athletics. Hell, my long-time favorite coach was Mike Price, fired by Alabama before his first season even began, for hiring strippers on the company credit card. Such a moronic move.
RR admitted to an affair in a statement after the firing.

Meanwhile in Ann Arbor and Morgantown: :popcorn:

Disappointed that OU lost, but that was a pretty great season overall. Nice start for a rookie coach. Kyler Murray seems quite talented at QB. It's nice to have a dual-threat at QB.

Honestly, at this point, I'm just hoping they didn't uncover something along the lines of Sandusky or Briles - for the students' and athletes' sakes. I really don't have any skin in this game. Zona's a conference member, but we're already seeing some impressive turnover at coaching (ASU, Oregon, OSU, UCLA before this) and it's not like RR was lighting up the Western Sky with his brilliance or anything, he was 45 - 35 in his 6 seasons, including a pretty significant slump from 2015 onward.

Who in the hell thought a Kendrick Lamar concert was the appropriate half-time entertainment for this event? I don't want to hear about how many people wanna suck this dude's dick.

Who in the hell thought a Kendrick Lamar concert was the appropriate half-time entertainment for this event? I don't want to hear about how many people wanna suck this dude's dick.
Disney marketing department, apparently. It's tie-in to the Black Panther movie and OST by... guess who?

Dave

Staff member
Looks like the refs are all in for Alabama. In one series:

• Missed a false start - instead called it an offsides on a blocked punt.
  • Missed a blatant facemask.
  • On the punt, they missed an illegal block in the back.
Then Alabama gets the touchdown. So let's reiterate. Should have been Georgia ball on the 15 yard line already up 13-0. Instead it's 13-7 thanks to blown calls.

A single missed call is expected. A couple on the same series is suspicious. Three in a row is just blatant.

Y'know, it was a fun game to watch. It came down to overtime. It had a wild personnel change mid-game. It wound up being two true freshman playing against each other, who roomed together at some point in their lives, and tested themselves against each other, who wound up playing each other on the national stage. I really just wish we could get one damn championship game that's clean. Also, I hope Kyriq McDonald is OK - just collapsing on the sideline is never a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.