[NCAAF] 2017 College Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Georgia got screwed by the refs at the beginning of the first half. The game should have been at LEAST 16-0 or even 20-0, but instead the refs gave Alabama the ball and they got a touchdown out of it to make it 13-7. And when I say they gave it to them it wasn't one bad call it was three in the same series. And they were REALLY bad calls that completely changed the landscape of the game.

After that huge loss on first down, I though: "YES. This will be the time that they FINALLY..."

And I never got a chance to finish that thought, because of that ridiculous play.

Yeah. He left a note, which I haven't seen a copy of. Regardless of reasons, the loss of a life is a terrible thing. I hope everyone involved can find some peace, and I really hope this doesn't come down to his getting death threats for the cougs losing their bowl game, or anything equally meaningless (in the grand scheme of things). And, the times being the way they've been lately, I really hope this doesn't lead to an investigation revealing something along the lines of Baylor or PSU.

Color me completely and utterly unsurprised at these developments. Never did think much of the man, from how he represented himself during media days and press conferences.

Wow, and taking the reins in the battle for worst off season imaginable, University of Maryland's head coach, head football trainer, and two other staff members have been put on administrative leave effective immediately as a very "prompt" and very thorough investigation is launched into the toxic team atmosphere that resulted in a player's death back in June following liver failure from extreme dehydration and heat stroke, a failed liver transplant, and a two week coma. Head football trainer Wes Robinson is quoted to have said of the player, who was struggling to maintain consciousness during 110 yard sprints, "drag his ass across that field!" After the "walk it off method" failed to lower his body temperature, EMTs who were called to the facility called the hospital for a player experiencing a seizure. The player's seizure was unreported by the coaching and training staff in any report made to the university regarding the incident.

Other reports from current and former staff members and players describe players being forced to eat until they puke in an attempt to get them to gain weight, then eat some more; players who were deemed to be overweight being forced to sit and watch workouts while being force fed candy bars to humiliate them for being fat; players being called thieves for having been awarded scholarships and deemed to be underperforming or "not good enough" to deserve the university's money; and being called racial slurs by coaching staff and trainers alike.

You know, I remember this movie. It came out in 1998. Really dumb movie, but poignant to me at the time, because it reminded me so much of my own school sports career (we had a coach just like Kilmer, and everyone idolized him like he was GOD himself). He was driven off in a similar fashion as well - got too cruel one season and the team quit on him and stopped hiding his abuse. I would ask how we got to a place like this, but I think I know the answer pretty well by now. Money and power.

SMU scared the NCAA from ever invoking the death penalty again. Bullshit. Some of these schools DESERVE to get what SMU got.

Doesn't look like things are going to calm down for OSU anytime soon - Zach Smith (fired coach at the center of the controversy) has lashed out at his ex-wife over Twitter, decrying how little concern she's had for their kids and their reputation throughout all of this... because he continues to believe that the person who needs to worry about that is the one being abused, not the abuser. Also, an OSU trustee has stepped down from the board, stating that the Urban Meyer punishment was too soft. This comes after reports were released stating that, despite his suspension, Meyer was allowed to meet with the team and attend practice on the 25th, because the decision was made to suspend him on the 24th, but he wasn't notified of the suspension until the 26th.

Edit: Apparently the trustee who resigned also left the meeting - during which the punishment was being decided - in protest, so not just talking the talk, but walking the walk.

Last edited:
There are some serious Ohio State fans on my floor. I gave them much grief when OU beat them last season. I walked by one guy's office yesterday, and when he saw me, he said, "Don't start!". :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.