[NFL] 2014 NFL Season

It also helped that Green Bay's defense and special teams forgot how to football in the second half.

Damn it, I don't want Seattle winning back-to-back titles! :mad:

There's at least a reason why some Wisconsinites can root for the Seachickens in the Super Bowl. But it's really limited to DangeRussell.

Zappit

Staff member
So now that the NFL has examined the Patriots' balls, what is going to happen?
Probably nothing. It sounds too ridiculous to be anything serious. Given how the Patriots have blown out Luck-led Colts teams in the past, (averaging 20+ difference) they really didn't need to do anything sneaky. Plus, cold weather does deflate balls naturally, and it was cold at Foxboro. Ask any teacher who's done outdoor recess duty during the winter months, and they can tell you it happens quickly and that the balls can really lose their bounce.

Plus, the NFL has ignored this kind of thing in the past. Aaron Rogers has admitted he prefers to get the ball overinflated, past the required level. They never did anything about that.

This coach I worked for used to deflate the balls too. Before each game the refs check the pressure on each team's game balls. Then the coach would pull a pump needle out of his wallet and deflate the balls. I was pretty freaking stunned. This was a guy that used to coach in the NCAA for decades too. It would seem that it is a pretty widespread cheat.

Belichick cheats again. Against a team he could have handily beat anyway. Again. I'm not shocked, but rather sad at how many people excuse it.

Now Johnson is saying he paid to have his balls altered prior to Super Bowl XXXVII.
It isn't the same issue because it wasn't about creating an unfair advantage for one team over the other.

Rich Gannon spoke to SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday and said:
“And again, ‘doctored the balls’ makes it sound like you’re cheating, but all you’re trying to do is make sure they’re not slick. I think it’s a non-story, quite frankly. And it’s not the reason we lost.’’ (via TBO)

Doctored the balls is subverting the rules in order to provide yourself with an advantage over your opponent. It is very much cheating. Is it the reason the Colts lost? No, but it's still cheating, and the Colts sucking only makes it more pathetic. It's not the first instance, but all that's going to happen is a slap on the wrist. Belichick will be on his way, and continue to use any opportunity to gain an upper hand.

And I just got around to learning about this scandal. The balls were discovered at halftime and the issue presumably fixed at that point. At halftime,the game was close and Brady had thrown an interception. With proper balls in the second half the Patriots kicked ass.

If the Patriots did cheat they should be glad they were caught when they were.

For my work I measure things, including pressure. All of us at work are giggling at the idea that the NFL uses a pressure gauge accurate to measure something as small as two psi.

Not without standardizing the other variables.

From a scientific point of view the NFL has been just paying lip service with their ball checks. They are essentially turning a blind eye to how the QBs treat the football's so that they can score more points.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/techno...e-012115ive-retort-to-nfl-deflategate-012115/

These guys almost got it right!

Now this video is hilarious.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/22/deflategate-video-how-nfl-officials-check-game-ball-pressure/

If you watch the video from a scientific point of view, there isn't any type of discussion to be had about ball pressure. The best the NFL can claim is that the balls are 13 psi-ish give or take a few. By their own guidelines, the balls are inflated to 13psi±0.5psi. They make no other statements. There is nothing in their rules about any other variables or the quality of the measuring devices used. You can have the balls measured at any ambient temperature or pressure you want. Did you notice how quickly the balls were tested after they cut the seal on the bag? I would assume (sorry for assuming) they do it quickly so that no questions about possession can be raised, but that leaves very little time for acclimatization. When ever a pressure devices comes in to be tested at my workplace, the first thing it does is sit on the shelf for a minimum of four hours to allow the unit to come to the same temperature and pressure as the unit being used to test it.

And something that no one seems to mention or even know about is that the instruments used to test air pressure can change as well if their environment changes, even more so if they are mechanical in nature. In my lab our temperature, humidity, pressure are constantly monitored, because even slight variations can cause our measurements to not be repeatable rendering them useless. Cause when your measuring things to 10 millionths of an inch, a half a degree temperature change is a pretty big deal. And a 20 degree swing in temperature on a mechanical pressure test is huge!

Now in the video the ref appears to be using a Tachikara Ball Gauge. They sell for $10 at Wal-Mart. They do not offer any specifics as to it's accuracy or quality. It has divisions of 0.2 psi, but that does not mean it is accurate to 0.2 psi, it only means that it's highest possible accuracy is 0.2 psi. Another draw back to this style of gauge is that it is a dial face. For a dial face to be really accurate it has to be large enough for you to see clearly, and for the accuracy required by the NFL it would so big that it would not fit in your hand and would need to have a mirrored surface to eliminate parallax error. The Tachikara has neither of those features.

If you wanted to have a gauge that was accurate enough to measure the required pressure for the NFL, you would need something like this; they start around $500

http://www.coleparmer.ca/Product/Digital_Industrial_Gauge_30_psi_Battery_Powered/RK-68338-06

Now this wall of text has been spurted for two reasons;

one it's fun to talk about work related things for a change on Halforums,

two if the NFL does anything other than make this go away and say that there was no harm no foul and that changes will be made going forward, Tom Brady could easily sue their pants off for damaging his brand by being labelled a cheat when there is no actually way to prove that he did

TLDR: the uncertainty of the gauges used to measure the pressure in NFL footballs is so great that you can't actually measure the pressure in NFL footballs

Zappit

Staff member
YES! It looked like David Tyree all over again. Still can't believe Carroll chose a pass play, especially when a Lynch rumor two could have won AND finished off the clock. Was he just arrogant? That one's going to haunt him for years. Classy way for Seattle to finish that one up by starting a brawl, too.

The Sports Illustrated cover curse strikes again. Still, that has to be one of the most exciting Super Bowls ever played. Say whatever you want about either team, but that game was amazing.

YES! It looked like David Tyree all over again. Still can't believe Carroll chose a pass play, especially when a Lynch rumor two could have won AND finished off the clock. Was he just arrogant? That one's going to haunt him for years. Classy way for Seattle to finish that one up by starting a brawl, too.

The Sports Illustrated cover curse strikes again. Still, that has to be one of the most exciting Super Bowls ever played. Say whatever you want about either team, but that game was amazing.
Yeah, that brawl was just bullshit.