[News] 2012 Election Results Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
NBC called Wisconsin for Obama over an hour ago. Don't know why everyone else held off for so long. Perhaps NBC is attempting to lead the others in calls?

I'm really only paying attention to CNN (when their website is up) and NBC (TV) at the moment.

NBC is pointing out that the swing counties in the so-called swing states are all leaning toward Obama. Someone pointed out early in the season that there are really only 12 counties in these several states that actually swing and have the size to move the state electoral votes from one party to the other.[DOUBLEPOST=1352261170][/DOUBLEPOST]NBC is calling North Carolina for Romney.

California, Hawaii, and Washington called for Obama, according to the BBC website. That's 71 electoral votes right there.

There are at least 5 counties in FL panhandle that haven't yet reported results but are typically republican, so that's probably why FL is not being called, even though that may be balanced by the remaining votes yet to be counted in the heavily democratic counties in southern fl.[DOUBLEPOST=1352261726][/DOUBLEPOST]NBC called the election for Obama, and the crowd in Chicago is going wild.

Zappit

Staff member
NBC just called it for Obama. Ohio is his.

Suck it, Mitt.

The best part is that the Florida results will have no effect. They can't screw it all up again.

Fox news has Obama at 275 votes.[DOUBLEPOST=1352262140][/DOUBLEPOST]Well, let's hope Obama forces congress to pass a budget and actually reduces the deficit.

Oh, who am I kidding, he's like a kid in a candy store.

stienman - Thank you for being so respectful and honest in your replies to my sometimes very biased views against Romney. I too hope, like you, that things improve in a way that would make both sides happy.

I don't think I need to say how happy the family is here tonight, everyone stayed up to watch this result and we all breathed a sigh of relief. Cannot wait to listen to GoP radio tomorrow though. Seriously cannot wait. I hold no gloating over any honest republican. I hold gloat over the Tea Party Talk Show Hosts.

Zappit

Staff member
I'm just relieved. Several members of my family -myself included - have medical conditions that could have resulted in us getting royally screwed by the insurance companies under a Romney America. My sister and I are both young educators, and our kind has been vilified by the right. We'd be under siege for doing absolutely nothing wrong. Hell, education would have nosedived under Romney. No one wants to feel like they're going to be punished for being a law-abiding citizen that contributes to society, but I really feared the Republicans getting that kind of power. Mitt himself said that it's not his job to care about nearly half this country. Could be why he lost.

Sigh... so far, here in Washington, we'd still rather legalize marijuana use than let two dudes get married. So fucking backwards.

Whoop, there we go. Now that more of King County is reporting, we're willing to let two dudes get married and we'd like to go celebrate that fact by lighting up a joint.

GasBandit

Staff member
With any luck, this defeat will hasten the dissolution of the Republican party... but I may be a little too optimistic in thinking that. Not only did Romney lose, but several other high profile republicans got shellacked, like Scott Brown in Massachusetts and of course, Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin. Barry Goldwater is smugly nodding in his grave.

With any luck, this defeat will hasten the dissolution of the Republican party... but I may be a little too optimistic in thinking that. Not only did Romney lose, but several other high profile republicans got shellacked, like Scott Brown in Massachusetts and of course, Todd "Legitimate Rape" Akin. Barry Goldwater is smugly nodding in his grave.
I don't think the Republican Party will every really go away. It has too much brand recognition to completely discard and someone is always going to want to exploit that. But yes, it's going to become completely irrelevant unless they are willing to do more to reach out to minority voters. The changing demographics of America are just killing them and they are standing in a corner, fighting the inevitable, instead of finding another way.

Don't be afraid to go after minorities Republicans. Old White people are going to vote for you regardless of what you do.

GasBandit

Staff member
If the Republicans would just drop the Tea Party crazies they'd gain some ground with Democrats/Independants.
It depends on what you mean by "tea party crazies." If you mean people sick of the republicans forcing in country club, jello-spined new england RINOs as their candidates like McCain and Romney, I think you've got it backwards. If you mean the "social conservatives," yeah, those guys need to go, but I don't think they will. The non-clueless republicans will have to just realize that their party is on the wrong side of the issues on things like gay marriage and abortion, and realize that's the well that the republicans always flee to when the campaign gets tough.

But you're absolutely wrong about republicans needing to move to the middle. Moving to the middle is what loses elections for them. Mitt Romney, for all the demonizing, was probably one of the most centrist republicans in living memory - mofo invented Obamacare for all intents and purposes. Every poll from here to eternity showed that people "trust" republicans more with economic matters, but they just can't get past their paleolithic social agenda and realize that true conservatives don't care who you marry or what you do with your own body, be it what you put in or take out. Republicans always like to worship at the altar of Reagan - the guy didn't move to the center, he moved the center toward him.

I'll repeat what I said almost a year ago - this race would have been so much more interesting if Herman Cain had ended up the republican nominee.

Well, anyway, my guy Gary has already given his "I was just happy to be here" speech. We'll see if Libertarians count for 5% this year.

I'm talking the Tea Party crazies that say that the Gays caused Hurricane Sandy. That illegals need to build a wall and be placed behind it. That we're going into the Mad Max apocolypse now that Obama has won. That women are meant to be seen and not heard.

The Laura/Rush/Sean followers basically.

If Republicans stopped the social bullshit and actually focused on the conservative spending and small government they chatter about but never get around to, would a Libertarian party be needed?

But what am I saying? They're going to continue being racist, sexist, homophobic, theocratic dumbasses who choose to lose elections for a little longer. Maybe in 2016 they'll wise up.

For now, I'm so fucking relieved Romney didn't make it. That seals it. If your God supposedly tells you to run for president, odds are he wants a good laugh.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't think the Republican Party will every really go away. It has too much brand recognition to completely discard and someone is always going to want to exploit that.
Somebody probably once said the same things about the whigs and the federalists. The thing is a party is only useful if it fulfills it's one only true role - getting its members elected. They held on to the house of representatives this time, though it looks like they are losing ground there too... and basically they completely squandered any momentum from their roaring 2010 comeback by practically repeating 2008's playbook verbatim.[DOUBLEPOST=1352265303][/DOUBLEPOST]
If Republicans stopped the social bullshit and actually focused on the conservative spending and small government they chatter about but never get around to, would a Libertarian party be needed?
Seeing as how the Libertarian party was basically founded by disaffected republicans sick of the social bullshit... no, it wouldn't. But as you realized in the next sentence, the republicans absolutely refuse to stop adhering to their reactionary social policy. That's their true identity, not the fiscal stuff they pretend to care about and then discard the instant they come to power.

But what am I saying? They're going to continue being racist, sexist, homophobic, theocratic dumbasses who choose to lose elections for a little longer. Maybe in 2016 they'll wise up.

For now, I'm so fucking relieved Romney didn't make it. That seals it. If your God supposedly tells you to run for president, odds are he wants a good laugh.
It's amazing how bigoted your post comes across.

Somebody probably once said the same things about the whigs and the federalists. The thing is a party is only useful if it fulfills it's one only true role - getting its members elected. They held on to the house of representatives this time, though it looks like they are losing ground there too... and basically they completely squandered any momentum from their roaring 2010 comeback by practically repeating 2008's playbook verbatim.
True enough, though I don't think the Whigs and Federalists had the same kind of media power the Republicans have today.

It's amazing how bigoted your post comes across.
I know it comes across that way, but beneath that surface appearance of it being bigoted, there's a core in which it actually is bigoted.

I'm sick of the Republican party's bullshit. The GOP platform does not respect human rights; it adheres to power. It doesn't know how to spend or save money; it knows how to waste. I have lost all respect for the party. And no, the Democrats don't know how to get finances together either, but if the government's gonna fuck me over financially either way, I'd rather not see it fuck over people for their gender, race, sexuality, religion, etc. on top of that.

See, I just see that as gloating. The problem with throwing poop is you get poop on your hands.
I said very clearly I AM gloating over the Rush/Hannity/Laura Tea Party republicans.

I also said I have nothing but the utmost respect for those like stienman who always presented great points and facts in a respectful and clear way.

Status
Not open for further replies.