[News] 2012 Election Results Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a few threads about some aspects of the election, but there's going to be a firehose of information generated over the next 12 hours which we needn't clutter the other political threads with.

So anything election, polling, etc related has a home here.

The first things we're probably going to see are exit polls. The major news organizations fund a single exit poll which is only occurring in 37 states this year (due to cost). But they've all agreed that prior to the polls closing in each state, they won't announce that state's exit poll results - at most they agreed they can post trends, but ever since the 2004 exit poll fiasco (many news organizations called it for Kerry before the polls closed in various states) they are being somewhat more circumspect with exit polls. While the results are secret to the public, they are available to the news organizations in real time, so it'll be interesting to see them try to avoid leaks.

I decided election night is as good a reason as any to hold a party, so anyone who wants to come up to Michigan to watch the ups and downs as the news organizations repeat the same thing over and over and over, come on over! You can tell it's my house, I'm the only one in the area with a Romney sign.

I will post things I find interesting as the news coverage expands.

I decided election night is as good a reason as any to hold a party, so anyone who wants to come up to Michigan to watch the ups and downs as the news organizations repeat the same thing over and over and over, come on over! You can tell it's my house, I'm the only one in the area with a Romney sign.
On the topic of election night parties, BBC will be live broadcasting from a local restaurant, so I will be there with friends enjoying some tasty sandwhiches while watching those same news reports.

On that note, if anyone finds good online live updates anywhere, please post links here. I think the BBC's take on our election might be more interesting than our own media's navel gazing.

I just got up at 530am so I can run over to the sports bar and watch it live. The Consulate over here is also holding an election party at the 4 seasons hotel I might head over to see as well. How exciting. Woo.

The line was short when we went in and long when we left. That's my thread contribution for now.

Also, day's depressing moment, a text from a friend: "So is there an election today? I didn't find out until just now, lol"

:facepalm:

According to the very right-leaning Drudge Report:

EXIT POLLS: RACE TIGHT
R: NC, FL
O: OH, NH, PA, MI, NV
TOSS UP: VA, CO, IA

GasBandit

Staff member
According to the very right-leaning Drudge Report:

EXIT POLLS: RACE TIGHT
O: OH, NH, PA, MI, NV
TOSS UP: VA, CO, IA
apparently just changed to:

EXIT POLL BOOM FOR O
O: NH, PA, MI, NV
TOSS UP: OH, VA, CO, IA

Counting electoral votes for states not in contention:

100% Blue (Obama): CA (55), OR (7), WA (12), NM (5), MN (10), IL (20), NY (29), MD (10), DE (3), NJ (14), CT (7), RI (4), MA (11), VT (3), ME (4), HI (4), WI (10) = 208
100% Red (Romney): TX (38), LA (8), MS (6), AL (9), GA (16), SC (9), TN (11), KY (8), WV (5), IN (11), AR (6), MO (10), OK (7), KS (6), NE (5), SD (3), ND (3), MT (3), ID (4), WY (3), UT (6), AZ (11), AK (3) = 191

"Swing" states: NV (5), CO (9), IA (7), MI (16), OH (18), PA (20), NH (4), VA (13), NC (15), FL (29)

So, if we believe the far right (Republican/Romney)-leaning Drudge, that would put Obama at 208 + OH (18) + NH (4) + PA (20) + MI (16) + NV (5) = 271 electoral votes, which is already enough to win.

GasBandit

Staff member
I know it won't happen, but all the gabbing over the last couple of weeks about a possible 269-269 split made me think how hilariously historic that would make all this, and a Romney/Biden administration would be zany.

GasBandit

Staff member
CNN just called VT for Obama, and KY for Romney. No surprises there. And it's time to go home. See you tomorrow, Halforums.

I know it won't happen, but all the gabbing over the last couple of weeks about a possible 269-269 split made me think how hilariously historic that would make all this, and a Romney/Biden administration would be zany.
If the election comes down to Florida again for some god forsaken reason, I quit. ;)

Personally, I no longer give a shit who wins the presidential election. I know that Congress will most likely spend 4 more years in a dead lock, and it's unlikely that any justice of the opposing party to the president will retire, so it's all just entertainment to me. :p

Early and absentee voting is 1.91 million Obama, 1.86 million Romney. Very, very close margin and closely follows many polls.

With Obama getting PA, Romney has to get Ohio and Florida to have a fighting chance.

Right now Florida is very close, and too little of Ohio is reporting to say anything substantial.

They should both be callable in an hour or two.

From the vote counts I've seen, Ohio is an easy Obama win, which means it's over.

303 - 235 Obama. You heard it here first.

Zappit

Staff member
If it's Ohio to Obama, then yeah, it's over. He'd need only to get the states he was predicted to win out west and Wisconsin, and he just got Wisconsin.

It's interesting that they're not calling it yet, though. It's over half reporting, and Obama is five points ahead. Who isn't reporting that makes them think Romney has a chance?

Zappit

Staff member
Mourdock and Akin defeated. Not a bad night for the anti-rape crowd.

Elizabeth Warren takes the Massachusetts Senate seat!

Tammy Duckworth defeats Joe Walsh, proving that bashing a double amputee veteran for being a double amputee veteran is not a good strategy.

Ohio was up five points at 47% reporting, but now at 51% reporting Obama is only up three points. That's a pretty big swing for such a small additional reporting.

Perhaps they aren't waiting just to keep us hanging on.

Florida, on the other hand...

Zappit

Staff member
Florida is close, but they're almost done reporting. We've come to expect shenanigans from them. They'll hold off as long as they can.

Both Ohio and Florida have a lot of provisional ballots, and Florida only starts to count those on the 17th. Good lord, here we go again.

The election supervisors in Florida should be tossed out. If it was one year, that would be a fluke, but this is an ongoing problem they're having.

Just saw this in the comments on the CNN website:

"Come on Obama, make Romney improvise that concession speech he didn't write."

If it's Ohio to Obama, then yeah, it's over. He'd need only to get the states he was predicted to win out west and Wisconsin, and he just got Wisconsin.
Where are you getting that? AP, CNN, and Fox News all show Romney with around 3 points in WI, and less than 20% votes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.