[News] -1 Faith in Humanity

Much like the most depraved became the inquisitors, the most active racist nutjobs tend to be have some color mixed in (in whatever direction they're racist), much like priests who seek celibacy because their feelings are "wrong" and unacceptable to themselves (...and then they fail and go for the choir boys), it's often people who have very high moral standards and fail to live up to them themselves who are the greatest fighters for whatever they want/feel themselves.
On that note, there is the story of Leland Yee from a couple days ago:
Anti-gun and Anti-videogame California Senator Indicted for Corruption and Arms Trafficking

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
On that note, there is the story of Leland Yee from a couple days ago:
Anti-gun and Anti-videogame California Senator Indicted for Corruption and Arms Trafficking

--Patrick
Yeah, take a moment to bask in THAT hypocrisy. A politician who has been a vocal and emphatic voice for banning all guns in violation of the 2nd amendment (and wasn't so nice with the 1st either)... was indicted for selling M16s illegally. And because he has a (D) in his title, news sources are largely ignoring it.

GasBandit

Staff member
I believe this is where some idiot complains that this is under reported because it's a Democrat and doesn't bother to do a Google search.
I'm talking about TV, cupcake. All the major news networks, save one, have been pretending this didn't happen. Your google search tells the tale - only SoCal newspapers (because it's a local story) and local affiliates talked about it. CNN, MSNBC, etc are all still trying to shake "But.. but a bridge got closed in new jersey 6 months ago!"

But thanks for acknowledging you have to attempt to address the media's democrat bias because you know it's there.

fade

Staff member
I'm a liberal (I hesitate to say democrat) and I do agree. NPR is almost sickeningly so, and in reality it should be the least.

We'll get back to the hedgemony hedgehogs in a moment, but I'll say I don't find it unusual that the for-profit media wouldn't want to seem openly critical of whomever is in power at the time, except maybe through their political cartoons. Once someone is out of office, though, I expect it becomes open season. No matter what their party affiliation might be, I would expect they would want to show whoever the new guy is just how much they hate the old one.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
We'll get back to the hedgemony hedgehogs in a moment, but I'll say I don't find it unusual that the for-profit media wouldn't want to seem openly critical of whomever is in power at the time, except maybe through their political cartoons. Once someone is out of office, though, I expect it becomes open season. No matter what their party affiliation might be, I would expect they would want to show whoever the new guy is just how much they hate the old one.

--Patrick
Except they have an ideological agenda, and a narrative that says that even when they're solidly in power they're still underdogs struggling to get anything done because those bad old wepubwicans still have boots on all their, and our, throats.

I'm a liberal (I hesitate to say democrat) and I do agree. NPR is almost sickeningly so, and in reality it should be the least.
I believe at one point a couple years ago they outright announced they were going to stop being so we-don't-choose-sides, both-sides-of-the-story, and equal-time-for-all (i.e., Fairness Doctrine), essentially claiming that nobody else was following those ideals any more, and why should they be any different?[DOUBLEPOST=1396117141,1396116633][/DOUBLEPOST]
they're still underdogs struggling to get anything done because those bad old wepubwicans still have boots on all their, and our, throats.
You're never going to convince me that any party/individual/paper/movement/etc. is serious about making things better until they stop trying to find/pin blame and start working towards figuring out what it'll take to actually make things better. Really, I don't care who caused <bad thing> to happen, I just want it fixed.

And that's generally how I vote, too. Dunno which party that "officially" makes me. Progressive, maybe?

--Patrick