xkcd makes me sad

Today's xkcd

"On January 26th, 2274 Mars days into the mission, NASA declared Spirit a 'stationary research station', expected to stay operational for several more months until the dust buildup on its solar panels forces a final shutdown."

Dave

Staff member
2 Things:

1) What was the flavor text?
2) My brother in law is a rocket scientist for NASA who works at JPL. He worked on this little guy.

2a) Another note. I got better grades than him in the same classes at the same university. Fuck yeah!

2 Things:

1) What was the flavor text?
2) My brother in law is a rocket scientist for NASA who works at JPL. He worked on this little guy.

2a) Another note. I got better grades than him in the same classes at the same university. Fuck yeah!
1) Added. Mind you, it makes the comic even more sad.
2) He is awesome then.
2a) You are also awesome, just in a slightly different, non-Mars way. (Great, now I'm going to be talking like T-rex for the rest of the day.)

I was a student worker with the Mars Space Flight Facility at Arizona State University a couple years back and some of our people worked with Spirit and Odyssey. Those are good bots and it's amazing how much we've been able to learn from them. I should head over that way next week and give them my condolences.

Interesting.

The robots in xkcd as designed to make us sad, whereas the robots in Achewood are designed to make us CHUCKLE.

GasBandit

Staff member
Simulated Comic Product was also good for depressing comics, and robot comics, and sometimes both at once.

Interesting.

The robots in xkcd as designed to make us sad, whereas the robots in Achewood are designed to make us CHUCKLE.
Gusto, what is the saddest thing?[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you're ready, Boner?[/QUOTE]

y-yes.[/QUOTE]

Boner, Boner, Boner. The saddest thing is a retarded man promising a broken egg that it will still be a chicken someday, and that they'll laugh and play together in a field when it gets better.

Wow! You're working some pretty rough chuckles these days, Halforums!

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

In true Halforums style, this thread is now about its polar opposite.

Gusto, what is the saddest thing?
Are you sure you're ready, Boner?[/QUOTE]

y-yes.[/QUOTE]

Boner, Boner, Boner. The saddest thing is a retarded man promising a broken egg that it will still be a chicken someday, and that they'll laugh and play together in a field when it gets better.[/QUOTE]

No!

do you think its rad that you have alcoholism, goose?
Man Juice you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger

Oh hold on for a second would you please

I am about to land on the moon and must concentrate

What kind of arseholes work at NASA, telling the poor robot that he's going to come back from an obvious one way trip...

ElJuski

Staff member
It's Johnson and Johnson! No tears! It's all I use!

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

oh man what if this is a thing

Some day that thing will be the target of a manned mission. It will be made into a movie. Then it will show up in the Smithsonian.

--Patrick