xkcd makes me sad

Are you the Thread Necromancer's alt?

(But that picture is seriously cool!)

Your own fault for activating that Google thing that checks for "similar threads". It doesn't take into account how old a thread is. I bet if I ere to go and try to post "my baby Dave was just born", it'd even link back to your birthday, no problem.

Your own fault for activating that Google thing that checks for "similar threads". It doesn't take into account how old a thread is. I bet if I ere to go and try to post "my baby Dave was just born", it'd even link back to your birthday, no problem.
Personally, I blame NASA. It's their fault that there is a Mars rover still making news ~3000 days into its mission.

Yeah, they should take an example from cell phone makers. They used to last a couple of years, nowadays they last just months and they start falling apart :p

I can count on one hand the number of cell phones I've had in the last decade.

Maybe people are a little harder on their cell phones than they should be...
Man, I've had so many cellphones in just the past couple of years, I've lost count.

Though, I sell the damn things. That could be a cause.

It would actually be interesting if they went back to the old rover and examined it's remains as a way to see how things are weathered on Mars. It would provide invaluable data they would need if they ever decided to try and put a manned mission on the surface of MArs.

Curiosity (in Gale Crater) will have a hell of a drive if it is going to reconnect with any previous mission!

I don't have any hard numbers*, but Spirit (the closest sibling) is probably about 1100-1200 miles away from Curiosity (estimated using the size of Gale Crater and Google's Mars map.) At a rate of 0.085 mph (roughly Curiosity's top speed), it would take Curiosity a little less than 1 and a half years just to get to Spirit, and that is assuming it can manage all of the terrain in the straight line between its location and Spirit (I doubt Curiosity would get out of the crater very easily!)

*all numbers are very rough estimates[DOUBLEPOST=1344355978][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think there is more wrong with the rovers than just a light dusting...
Opportunity is still going.

It looks like Curiosity is going to be a "good rover" just like its forebears. It is officially a mobile research station after having driven 15 feet.

"Tire Tracks on Mars"​

In other news, today would have been Ray Bradbury's 92nd birthday. That's why NASA did not officially announce the name of the landing site in the Gale crater until now. The site is officially designated "Bradbury Landing".